Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
See: Iraq

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Yeah, you start by funding a rise up and then coming in to aid them in their legitimate struggle. Don't put the tank before the hearse.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Neurolimal posted:

Most scholars, being human beings, have crank opinions outside their field of expertise. As far as I'm aware none of the sources pertaining to this paper (that you can see, for yourself, by looking at the annotations) have been disputed.

e:

I think this is a fairly reductionist. There was an active effort after the collapse of the Soviet Union to rehabilitate nationalist figures, specifically to combat the massive successes and historical achievements that 69 years of membership produced. Bandera worship didn't sprout up as a result of unresolved ethnic grievances, it sprouted up because, without acknowledging Soviet achievements, there's a massive blank space in Ukrainian history & nationalist pride.

Same reason Poland engages in revisionism with regards to their role in the Holocaust. Same reason Lithuania was a hotbed of Double-Genocide Theory. If you cut out nearly a century of history, something else is going to replace it.

You are currently threadbanned and will need to appeal that with me if you wish to post.

Edit: To be clear, I'm not saying you're threadbanned for that post, which had nothing wrong, but that you were already threadbanned some time ago.

Koos Group fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 4, 2023

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/RepMTG/status/1709664379312947574

https://twitter.com/TimcastNews/status/1709593787574472918?s=20
Codepink has some interesting bedfellows nowadays.

I think this guy has a good take.
https://twitter.com/terrelljstarr/status/1709567692921835637?s=20
If you don't like twitter:
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1709567692921835637.html

Seems to be a lot of coordinated pressure on US Ukraine funding support. Funding had a huge part in the current House chaos with Gaetz. Now MTG is teaming up with feminist activists who vocally support abortion rights to stage protest with alt-right media there to film the promos. Cornel West also headlined the #PeaceInUkraine rally yesterday in DC. All of the usuals are currently engaged.

IIRC, there was a deal cut with McCarthy by the Democrats to have a vote on funding Ukraine separately from the budget, or something to that effect. Now with him removed from his position for cutting that deal (among other parts of that) with Democrats, will that vote happen? If he wasn't removed, would that vote have happened this week during these "grassroots" rallies? This idea that Ukraine funding is somehow bleeding America dry is permeating across every weird alt media timeline. Maybe I'm just :tinfoil: about it or getting algorithm'd.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Codepink's shown a preference for aligning with authoritarian regimes for quite awhile now- I remember them staging events while working with Maduro's press outlets back when we had a Venezuela thread. This is likely more of the same.

https://twitter.com/florida_sophia/status/1709374479208427791

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 5, 2023

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

And, as always, it's easy to yell "negotiate peace" on the Forums Twitter X but those same people suddenly clam up when you ask them what they think that peace should look like, much less how you negotiate with someone who has proven to act in bad faith.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
And they're planning to protest in Russia too? You'd think they would know they should start there.

A lot of the aid was old stuff that was laying around, these people seem to overestimate the amount of aid by at least a factor of 10.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Funny how they're all calling for Ukraine to stop resisting, not for Russia to withdraw its forces. I wonder why that it...

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
I propose a "Post your map" rule for anyone calling for a peace settlement specifically to point out how dumb it is

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

SpeedFreek posted:

And they're planning to protest in Russia too? You'd think they would know they should start there.

A lot of the aid was old stuff that was laying around, these people seem to overestimate the amount of aid by at least a factor of 10.

Please, chickens, protest inside the KFC.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Koos Group posted:

You are currently threadbanned and will need to appeal that with me if you wish to post.

Edit: To be clear, I'm not saying you're threadbanned for that post, which had nothing wrong, but that you were already threadbanned some time ago.

There has been 5 other posts by this user when they've been threadbanned. And only one post got a 6er for continuing a derailing. And no punishment for any of those posts for posting while threadbanned. Or posting in bad faith (but we can't use that phrase unless we can somehow 100% prove it). Tight ship you're running here...

Kalit fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 5, 2023

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

I bet you it was just something innocuous like "nobody reported for a while"

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Moon Slayer posted:

And, as always, it's easy to yell "negotiate peace" on the Forums Twitter X but those same people suddenly clam up when you ask them what they think that peace should look like, much less how you negotiate with someone who has proven to act in bad faith.

War on the Rocks had a guest recently who talked about this, pointing out just how many things has to consider on how many timeframes. It was both very interesting and also he sounded exactly like 90s era Joe Pesci. It was uncanny.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Koos Group posted:

If they were already threadbanned, why did this new post not result in a probe?

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

SpeedFreek posted:

I've always wondered about this. So does saying the US is allocating $x amount of aid is actually the fiscal representation of the hardware they are sending? Because I remember this video from not that long ago saying the US was paying first responders' salaries and things of that nature. Unless the implication is that because Ukraine does not need to pay for hardware required for the war effort, it can then continue to afford to pay for its civil infrastructure.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Huggybear posted:

I've always wondered about this. So does saying the US is allocating $x amount of aid is actually the fiscal representation of the hardware they are sending? Because I remember this video from not that long ago saying the US was paying first responders' salaries and things of that nature. Unless the implication is that because Ukraine does not need to pay for hardware required for the war effort, it can then continue to afford to pay for its civil infrastructure.

Most of it is value of hardware, some is direct aid.
Hardware can also be from US stockpiles or US companies, and sometimes it's paying companies in countries like Bulgaria that are actually capable of producing things like artillery shells.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Staluigi posted:

I bet you it was just something innocuous like "nobody reported for a while"

It was indeed.

Cicero posted:

If they were already threadbanned, why did this new post not result in a probe?

Didn't seem to be aware they were still threadbanned, and the posts weren't particularly bad, so I offered a warning instead. Further questions or comments about this action may be directed to my private messages.

Lunitica
Jan 1, 2007
Isn’t codepink a known Chinese psyop

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Lunitica posted:

Isn’t codepink a known Chinese psyop

They weren't always (And thus they protested China's human rights abuses) but then their biggest donor got something (Investigations ongoing) that convinced him to ease off on China

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

DarklyDreaming posted:

They weren't always (And thus they protested China's human rights abuses) but then their biggest donor got something (Investigations ongoing) that convinced him to ease off on China

This article discusses the donor in question in detail, he seems to have set up a network of groups that mediate Chinese propaganda, as well as repurposed more mercenary groups by becoming a primary funding source.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/05/world/europe/neville-roy-singham-china-propaganda.html

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

DarklyDreaming posted:

I propose a "Post your map" rule for anyone calling for a peace settlement specifically to point out how dumb it is

My map is pre seizure of crimea ukraine and russian borders, and a small slice of colorado will be carved out for defentopia.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Ukraine peacefully assumes control of Northern Ireland.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Russia has always claimed control of Northern Ireland and the people of Northern Ireland secretly dream of being part of the grand Russian Federation. Russia insists Ukraine leave this Russian territory immediately and go drown in the sea like the Nazi pigs that they are.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Snowman_McK posted:

War on the Rocks had a guest recently who talked about this, pointing out just how many things has to consider on how many timeframes. It was both very interesting and also he sounded exactly like 90s era Joe Pesci. It was uncanny.

Stephen Kotkin on "winning the peace?" Did you also listen to the paywalled parts 2 and 3 or just the first part, like I did?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

So long as we get AK47s and Semtex we'll get on grand.... we got 800 years of grudges to catch up on. :jihad:

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
Kotkin has a lot of relatively recent talks on Youtube covering this exact and other Ukraine related subjects.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Xiahou Dun posted:

No McClancy chat!

Joyboy
Mar 18, 2021

I'm sure everyone feels the same.
Ukraine to be given the old Portuguese trading post at Nagasaki

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Stephen Kotkin on "winning the peace?" Did you also listen to the paywalled parts 2 and 3 or just the first part, like I did?

2and 4are worth the price of admission imo. War on the Rocks subscriptions are going from USD $75/year to USD $150/year soon if any goons are interested. A bit pricey, but the podcasts are quite good if that's your thing.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Exclusive: US will transfer weapons seized from Iran to Ukraine

Ukraine would like to thank its Iranian allies for their contribution towards expelling the invaders

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Scratch Monkey posted:

Exclusive: US will transfer weapons seized from Iran to Ukraine

Ukraine would like to thank its Iranian allies for their contribution towards expelling the invaders

Absolute :lol:

Meanwhile, from the other side of the world:

Zeit Liveblog: Russia decides just watching their ships get blown up has become too boring, moves ships to another targeting range.

Russia has finally realized that Sevastopol is maybe a bit too close to Ukrainian missiles and drones to do much good. Satellite pictures show 10 warships have been moved from Sevastopol to Noworossijsk.

But uh oh! Noworossijsk is also still in drone range from Ukraine, so Russia has now signed a new treaty with the Abchasian "government", to create a new fleet base in Georgia. The speculation is that this new base will become the replacement for Noworossijsk and Sevastopol in the future, if the war is still going then.

In other news from the same Liveblog:

-German federal minister of economics Cem Özdemir is in Ukrainie for talks about helping Ukrainian grain exports.
-Zelensky has arrived in Granada for talks with the European states.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Ukraine enforces it's Distant Blockade... from Kyiv. :getin:

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

*starts war to guarantee safety and security of naval base at Sevastopol*

*after 18 months of fighting abandons naval base at Sevastopol due to it being unsafe and insecure*

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Tigey posted:

*starts war to guarantee safety and security of naval base at Sevastopol*

*after 18 months of fighting abandons naval base at Sevastopol due to it being unsafe and insecure*

Very strong vibes of that apocryphal tale from Vietnam:
"Why is this supply base here?"
"To supply the artillery base."
"Why is the artillery base there?"
"To provide indirect fire support for the supply base."

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
Another artillery barrage in Kharkiv kills scores of civilians.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/10/05/europe/kupiansk-ukraine-attack-zelensky-intl/index.html

quote:

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said at least 48 people were killed in a Russian artillery strike that hit a shop near the eastern city of Kupiansk on Thursday.

Oleh Synehubov, Head of Kharkiv region military administration said Russian forces shelled a cafe and shop in the village of Grozna in the Kupiansk district.

Writing on Telegram, Synebuhov said: “Today, at around 13:15, Russians shelled a cafe and a shop in the village of Groza, Kupiansk district, where there were many civilians.”

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/oct/05/russian-attack-village-cafe-kills-people-ukraine-hroza-kharkiv

15% of a small village population of Hroza was wiped out when a missile struck a funeral reception. In such close-knit communities, often at least one person from each household attends gatherings like that, so literally every family is affected. Might be the most devastating single strike since the Mariupol drama theatre.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Warning that there's a lot of unblurred imagery on Twitter right now of these attacks on civilians. Goons who suffer from such imagery but follow the war on Twitter should probably take a day or two off from the platform.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

DarklyDreaming posted:

They went a little too mask off and now they're backpeddling.

https://x.com/codepink/status/1709761844443758630?s=20

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

The source is Bild (a tabloid), but they do have good contacts in the government.

Bild - Machine translated posted:

The German government is not planning to deliver the Taurus cruise missiles so urgently requested by the Ukrainian army in the foreseeable future. This was confirmed to BILD from German and Ukrainian government circles.
This is why Scholz does not supply Taurus missiles

Germany has not yet given the government in Kiev a formal denial of the request, but has made it clear internally that the Taurus missiles will not be delivered at present. Thus, Scholz is theoretically keeping the option open for the future, but delivery is considered highly unlikely.

What are the reasons for Scholz's current no to Taurus?

Last week, according to BILD information, the chancellor was asked in an internal meeting of the Foreign Affairs Committee why France and Great Britain supply cruise missiles but Germany continues not to. Scholz responded in the meeting, according to participants, that the two countries "can do something we are not allowed to do, so the question doesn't arise." A clear Taurus rejection!

What Scholz apparently means by this is that the UK and France contribute the geospatial data for missile targets directly themselves, the UK also with its own personnel on the ground.

In addition to the issue of geospatial data and possible personnel, German government officials are also said to have expressed concern that Taurus cruise missiles could be used to hit the Kerch Bridge.

Thus, in recent weeks, there have been talks between British and German government officials in which British representatives tried to convince Germany to supply them. During these talks, according to BILD information, the German side expressed concrete concern that the bridge in Crimea could be destroyed with the German weapon.

There is clear criticism of the chancellor's actions from the CDU. "With the cancellation of the Taurus delivery, Scholz confirms Germany's total failure as a self-proclaimed leading nation for European security and offends our partners like Great Britain and France, who are already supplying cruise missiles," foreign affairs and defense expert Roderich Kiesewetter (60) told BILD.

Kiesewetter still believes a Taurus delivery is the right thing to do, but that the Chancellery's stance is dangerous. "With Taurus, there is a chance for Ukraine to cut off Russian supply lines to Crimea and liberate Crimea, thus ending the war more quickly. Putin's fate hangs on Crimea, Scholz knows that," the CDU politician said. "He is thus deliberately sacrificing the lives of many innocent Ukrainians and opposing coalition partners FDP and Greens, apparently because he does not want Russia to lose. This is bitter and harmful for European and German security!"
Emphasis mine.

Note: CDU is in the opposition, Greens and FDP are in a coalition government with the SPD.

drat the "centrists for centrism's sake" people.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

DTurtle posted:

The source is Bild (a tabloid), but they do have good contacts in the government.

Emphasis mine.

Note: CDU is in the opposition, Greens and FDP are in a coalition government with the SPD.

drat the "centrists for centrism's sake" people.

While I personally think Scholz is dumb as poo poo about this, he's at least standing by his words about helping Ukraine defend their airspace: Scholz promises another PATRIOT-system, in addition to the first German one.

The new system is supposed to help Ukraine defend against the expected Russian Winter-attacks on Ukrainian infrastructure. According to the article, Germany, the Netherlands and the US already send PATRIOT-systems back in April (one each) and Germany then delivered two more launchers for their own system in August.

So with this additional battery, Ukraine should have four full Patriots and two full Iris-T systems for defense in Winter.