Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Build diversity. Not game type diversity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Arione posted:

How do yall nut all over the palce for diablo 2, and its literally one spammed skill forever, but complain about "muh lack of skill diversity" in Diablo 4?

Honestly we have more end game content than ever.

D1, uh idk, do the dungeon again.... gently caress it who knows, also hellfire isnt official.

D2, Uh gently caress man, kill baal 9000 times, then just go pindle and mephisto till your loving eyes bleed?

D2 patch like 10 or something. Uber Diablo counts I guess, but its hella easy and over in seconds. Oh and the torch farm, but only 2 builds can really do it, so get hosed.

D2R. Ok now we can add terror zones, which basically only drop skill buster GC's which are worthless and you can get for free in a trade dump game. Max level? lol no too many baal runs.

D3. Sucked on launch, and there was NO engame other than inferno, which was just the basic loving game.....

D3 at end of life. Ok so we had bounties and rifts..... Oh terror keys too, but those didnt really do much and the ring / amulet sucked. Max level? yeah in like 45 minutes.

D4, Whispers(bounties), NM Dungeons(rifts), Uber Lilith(get hosed), Helltides(terror zone +?) Legions events(new), PVP zone(actual rewards for once), World Bosses(new, exciting? not at high level). max level? Achievable, but its gonna still be a grind.

All I'm seeing is D4 has the most end game content of any game released yet, and a good midpoint between the 99 of D2 and the maybe 45 minuts to max level of D3. Not shilling for it, it needs improvement, but drat. If its not fun, it isnt due to lack of variety, its just none of it is rewarding.

i really enjoy this game but the endgame is nonexistent. you beat everything as is very easily and run out of things to do by like level 80, which doesnt take long to get to

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Theres something juicy about getting items in d2 that just doesn't exist in d4. Making that first mf sorc and then kitting out your uber character and then a barb or an amazon depending on if your bot finds a grandfather or a windforce first? A delightful time

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

flashman posted:

Theres something juicy about getting items in d2 that just doesn't exist in d4. Making that first mf sorc and then kitting out your uber character and then a barb or an amazon depending on if your bot finds a grandfather or a windforce first? A delightful time

Yeah when I was like 7 I always played a character until I found a sick item for another class then I leveled up that class to use the sick item. I was too stupid to bot tho. Would like for that type of thing to go on here

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

When an item drops in D4 endgame there is a 99.9% chance that it means pointless busywork rather than an upgrade, so it's almost never exciting to see an item drop. They've already implemented a coarse loot filter (everything below ancestral rare drops as mats in WT4) so now we just need to be able to customise it. Even a simple checklist of which affixes I care about per slot and then only show me items where min 3/4 of those affixes are present would remove the vast majority of tedious loot comparing, and would make it actually exciting when an item gets past the filter. Also it would be nice if we could switch between filtered items dropping as mats or gold

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

flashman posted:

Ah yes, botting, the highest point of engaging gameplay

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I had fun trying to get uniques in D2R because you had a guaranteed way to get them (the cube) and when you equipped them they genuinely felt more powerful, at least for a few levels. Even if your drops were shite, you were always at least working your way to a guaranteed upgrade.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

flashman posted:

D2 true endgame: pindlebot.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Time posted:

Yeah when I was like 7 I always played a character until I found a sick item for another class then I leveled up that class to use the sick item. I was too stupid to bot tho. Would like for that type of thing to go on here

A selection of unique items that were great for making instantly powerful alt characters (without the onerous lvl requirements that we deal with in d4) would go a long way to making the end game loop less boring

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Tarnop posted:

When an item drops in D4 endgame there is a 99.9% chance that it means pointless busywork rather than an upgrade, so it's almost never exciting to see an item drop. They've already implemented a coarse loot filter (everything below ancestral rare drops as mats in WT4) so now we just need to be able to customise it. Even a simple checklist of which affixes I care about per slot and then only show me items where min 3/4 of those affixes are present would remove the vast majority of tedious loot comparing, and would make it actually exciting when an item gets past the filter. Also it would be nice if we could switch between filtered items dropping as mats or gold

They said they significantly upped gold drops to compensate for fewer trash items.

You can also do a jury-rigged item filter in the new patch by using the search feature to search for affixes you want on the items you pick up and dumping those that the filter doesn't highlight.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the changes look good, hopefully the next season won't just be doing the challenges and quitting

comparing D2 and D4 endgame is comparing apples and oranges. D2 can be played offline with static maps, and is a small enough game that you can actually think about completing a grail before you die some day. that is to say you could actually "complete" D2, whereas the whole point of always online seasonal games like D4 is that you can't

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

flashman posted:

A selection of unique items that were great for making instantly powerful alt characters (without the onerous lvl requirements that we deal with in d4) would go a long way to making the end game loop less boring

been saying they need to make all classes have the breadth of build defining uniques that druid has. was so fun to play a build and wait for one of the uniques to drop that changed the way the class worked

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

flashman posted:

If one of the problems is that upgrades are so rare after a certain point, then how would making it so you never find a single upgrade ever improve that aspect?

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Tarnop posted:

I think we need a fundamental change in the unique items. There arent enough, and the ones we do have generally suck. Legendaries are just rares with additional ( and movable) affixes. But they did say we can farm uber uniques come season 2, now we just need more of them.

Given the inventory size we wont see charms or runes make a comeback. The inventory size is too small with items taking up 2 blocks each, we dont have inventory tetris like we used to. I guess runes could be a pop up window, not actually shown on the gear like in D2, but still, too many runes and not enough boxes.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

flashman posted:

D2 uniques absolutely have level requirements, you're smoking crack

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Arione posted:

I think we need a fundamental change in the unique items. There arent enough, and the ones we do have generally suck. Legendaries are just rares with additional ( and movable) affixes. But they did say we can farm uber uniques come season 2, now we just need more of them.

Given the inventory size we wont see charms or runes make a comeback. The inventory size is too small with items taking up 2 blocks each, we dont have inventory tetris like we used to. I guess runes could be a pop up window, not actually shown on the gear like in D2, but still, too many runes and not enough boxes.

Next patch they are revamping (almost) all unique items. They just said "more useful fixed stats" and "updated powers," so not really a clear indicator of how much more useful they will be, though.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

hawowanlawow posted:

the changes look good, hopefully the next season won't just be doing the challenges and quitting

comparing D2 and D4 endgame is comparing apples and oranges. D2 can be played offline with static maps, and is a small enough game that you can actually think about completing a grail before you die some day. that is to say you could actually "complete" D2, whereas the whole point of always online seasonal games like D4 is that you can't

in all the years that ive played D2, I've never played offline single player other than to dick around and hack the game, which made it instantly boring. I only ever really played live ladder, and thats going back to 99.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They said they significantly upped gold drops to compensate for fewer trash items.

You can also do a jury-rigged item filter in the new patch by using the search feature to search for affixes you want on the items you pick up and dumping those that the filter doesn't highlight.

I missed the bit about increased gold drops, that's a good change.

Filtering in the stash is definitely possible but it still doesn't fix the feeling that dropping loot is about as exciting as dropping a stack of papers on the way to the filing cabinet

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Arione posted:

Ah yes, botting, the highest point of engaging gameplay

Can't play 24 hours a day man

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Arione posted:

D2 uniques absolutely have level requirements, you're smoking crack

Yes, d2 uniques have set level requirements based on the item itself, a good system in comparison to d4 what level is the guy who found it lol

A bit of a moot point regardless, because making the uniques good is step one

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Arione posted:

in all the years that ive played D2, I've never played offline single player other than to dick around and hack the game, which made it instantly boring. I only ever really played live ladder, and thats going back to 99.

well maybe you should try an offline character and check off uniques you find on a grail tracker until you catch em all. it's fun and it's always there to pop back into when you don't feel like playing whatever the new hotness is. pretty chill when the maps are static and you can blast bosses or pit runs

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

If one of the problems is that upgrades are so rare after a certain point, then how would making it so you never find a single upgrade ever improve that aspect?

I wouldn't be sifting through an inventory of loot after every map, for starters

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Tarnop posted:

I missed the bit about increased gold drops, that's a good change.

Filtering in the stash is definitely possible but it still doesn't fix the feeling that dropping loot is about as exciting as dropping a stack of papers on the way to the filing cabinet

Rare quality loot has never been exciting....

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I mean there's a bunch of item slots so just because you find a windforce doesn't mean you are done gearing up

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

flashman posted:

Yes, d2 uniques have set level requirements based on the item itself, a good system in comparison to d4 what level is the guy who found it lol

A bit of a moot point regardless, because making the uniques good is step one

That was a patch because nerds were crying that they were seeing drops many levels below them

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Enjoying ARPGs should be a diagnostic criteria for the DSM, basically.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
You can tell D4 pre-Season 2 is in a good state when the only way to defend it against being worse than 20 year old games is to make poo poo up in bad faith.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Arione posted:

That was a patch because nerds were crying that they were seeing drops many levels below them

huh? on release every item I found level req was the level of my character, now it caps based on wt iirc. why blame people other than the designer for poor design decisions

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Arione posted:

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Vic posted:

lol

Why don't you film yourself emptying your inventory so we can critique your technique first.

i’m just trying to help. is a bad system that can be easily circumvented. some people aren’t for whatever reason and aren’t able to explain how or why. if you’ve got any constructive feedback though i’m all ears

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

harrygomm posted:

i’m just trying to help. is a bad system that can be easily circumvented. some people aren’t for whatever reason and aren’t able to explain how or why. if you’ve got any constructive feedback though i’m all ears

Eh it's just muscle memory training, I build it up with new desired stats on each new character in an ARPG. My eyes glaze over and I just go down line by line and mark it as junk as soon as I see two suboptimal passives. If you don't have it, i.e. you play an ARPG once a decade when a new Diablo releases, then you're gonna go slower and actually read each item. Degenerates like me play Grim Dawn and PoE in our free time.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

harrygomm posted:

My feedback is you're too sweet, and thank you for offering help.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Is there another stream today?

Edit - phew. I'm glad the hardcore news was fake

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Next patch they are revamping (almost) all unique items. They just said "more useful fixed stats" and "updated powers," so not really a clear indicator of how much more useful they will be, though.

They did this in S1 and most of them still suck, so I'm kind of skeptical, but hopefully they make more useful non-druid uniques.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Actually more excited to D4 in a couple weeks than I was leading up to launch to be honest.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

that's what I thought the 90 posts in this thread were about

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Didn't they say that affixes are going to be ordered a certain way now? That should at least cut down on some of the more finnicky management since it will be a lot easier to glance at the first line or two, see that it has no crit dmg or whatever and junk it. Far cry from fixing itemization but absolutely a step in the right direction.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Aspects all sharing the same icon across categories is a big "put it back in the oven" thing. I could look at an inventory and know what all the items are based on their sprite in previous games.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

10/10, so next week

Clocks posted:

Didn't they say that affixes are going to be ordered a certain way now? That should at least cut down on some of the more finnicky management since it will be a lot easier to glance at the first line or two, see that it has no crit dmg or whatever and junk it. Far cry from fixing itemization but absolutely a step in the right direction.

yeah i thought that got put in in 1.1.4 or whatever is active now but they also talked about it during the stream, so some kind of further refining with 1.2 or whatever i think

Vic posted:

Aspects all sharing the same icon across categories is a big "put it back in the oven" thing. I could look at an inventory and know what all the items are based on their sprite in previous games.

i think they said they’re changing some kinda icon changes for something. but yeah seeing the in world sprite for an archon plate drop or one of the unique armor icons/sprites is a core part of good loot feel imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
also thinking about it, uber duriel will be dropping uber uniques and takes a while to get the parts to summon him or whatever. however they said he’ll be easier than uber lillith. i wonder if they’ll bump or change her loot table because outside of the yardstick measuring and title, it seems like it wouldn’t be worth farming like duriel