Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Motronic posted:

I think we're hearing that a "real porsche" can only be determined later by history.

I feel like its immediately judged upon launch, then gets a parole board every 10 years if deemed a NARP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Elite Taco posted:

They are cool cars and it's fun to go see them.

Talk to the cars not the people.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Arione posted:

I feel like its immediately judged upon launch, then gets a parole board every 10 years if deemed a NARP.

Has there ever been a real Porsche on launch other than occasionally the 911?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Water cooled heads? Not on MY watch! :bahgawd:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

The only real Porsches are RUFs.
:haw:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Lol triggered

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Also extra lols that coming from a Panamera driver

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I am not invested in NARP discourse.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Has there ever been a real Porsche on launch other than occasionally the 911?

I feel like the only 911 to be declared a NARP was the 996, but it was eventually forgiven and accepted. (muh air-cooled!)

Boxster definitely got a lot of NARP. But that seems to have waned at least among most of the Porsche community. The guy pushing a 90's Honda will still call it a NARP tho.
718 4 cylinder gets poo poo on alot by 6 cylinder owners. Porsche even changed the 718 GTS to the 4.0 6 cyl so maybe they have a point.

Cayman has always been accepted, to the point of people thinking its a totally different car than the boxster.

Gen 1 Cayenne's seem to have shaken their NARP stigma due to their off-road capabilities and now have a pretty good enthusiast following, but not the later models... The Cayenne Turbos are generally all well received.

Panamera has a massive following, especially in Europe.

Somehow 914 is well regarded, but mostly just the 914-6.

Macan is definitely a NARP.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
The 996/986 have come into their own - really proving to be iconic in their own ways.

I love my 986 so freakin much.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Elite Taco posted:

The 996/986 have come into their own - really proving to be iconic in their own ways.

I love my 986 so freakin much.

Agreed, 986 sees massive representation on the track / autocross events as well. I've heard a lot of guys claim they'd rather have a 986 base over a 4 cyl 718 gts.... weather that's ego padding because they cant actually afford the latter I dont know... but to their credit, at least it has a flat 6.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Arione posted:

Agreed, 986 sees massive representation on the track / autocross events as well. I've heard a lot of guys claim they'd rather have a 986 base over a 4 cyl 718 gts.... weather that's ego padding because they cant actually afford the latter I dont know... but to their credit, at least it has a flat 6.

They sound better and on the street you can have fun without being in "whoops, felony!" territory so quickly. Same reason I like the base over the S of the same gen as a daily driver. Sure, the S is a blast, but on a day to day basis......

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Motronic posted:

They sound better and on the street you can have fun without being in "whoops, felony!" territory so quickly. Same reason I like the base over the S of the same gen as a daily driver. Sure, the S is a blast, but on a day to day basis......

I dont even think my 944 was capable of felony territory, one time I got pulled over by a (woman cop) for "horsing my engine" when I was downshifting, apparently she didnt know what a rev match was. My mother was in the car and couldn't believe how stupid the cop was. But then again that was Florida.

I caught like 4 tickets within a few months with my 987S. But that was also hawaii where the freeway is like 45 mph. She wasnt happy with 2nd gear.

Unfortunately I'm still in hawaii, but the island is so small wayze is up to the minute accurate so I can play a little with the panamera TSE and the Spyder. Still wish I was back on the west coast tho. When I retire hopefully I'll still have the cars and can enjoy them when I leave the island.

Being said I have dailied a 944, 987S and 997C2, I cant do it again, the car is just too drat small and they dont commute well.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Post itt when u horse ur engine

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Figured out why my soft top didn't want to move up and down:

Replaced with a metal gear - METAL GEAR!??! - and I'm good to go. Still need to adjust things to clear the dash light when I put the roof up, but I'm glad to have it working again. I get to check another project off in the 101 projects book.

Wonder what I'll get to fix next. (I already know: it's whatever is causing the car to lose all its wiper fluid)

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Elite Taco posted:

Wonder what I'll get to fix next. (I already know: it's whatever is causing the car to lose all its wiper fluid)

Do you have headlight sprayers? Were they actuated any time in the last decade? Well, good chance it popped a hose off the headlamp sprayer assembly. They're low down so will drain a washer tank quick just by gravity if the end of the hose isn't seated on the pop up assembly. They actuate via line pressure but if they get left unused for a very long time they can get jammed with dirt and grime and will pop the hose instead of popping up the washer head.

Relatively easy fix, but you gotta take some plastics off to get to them.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Yep. I have the sprayers and was already starting to suspect them. Given that the tank is so far back on the left fender, the leak being so up front, I figured that's the issue. I'll be dropping the bumper to clean the radiators and start looking in there for my problem next.

Thanks for the pointers!

I need to replace one of the heads as well.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

The rubber plugs/fittings on the washer fluid tank like to age out and crack. PO of mine told me the tank leaked so I ordered a whole new tank only to find it was a cheap rubber plug ... which is still sitting on the workbench two years later :smith:

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos
Picking up the panamera today, 6th time, they replaced the gas cap, but pretty sure its gonna flag for an evap leak within a week or two. Spyder going in today for oil and hood struts.

loving dealer added a 2.5% service fee on all transactions, as if they dont gently caress me in the rear end enough as it is. (no theres no god drat indys on this island). Finally got pissed enough to write PCNA about it. We'll see what they say.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos
So the engine light turned back on 2 blocks from the dealership, back it goes tomorrow.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Arione posted:

Porsche thread: So the engine light turned back on 2 blocks from the dealership

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
It's not a real porsche. Doesn't count.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
The front tires on my Macan are at about 4/32" (not quite level with the little wear bars) but the rears are at 7/32". I assume the better course of action is to just get new ones for all 4 and not just the front?

vv Thanks for the replies. Will go ahead and swap 'em all out shortly.

hmmxkrazee fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 11, 2023

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

hmmxkrazee posted:

The front tires on my Macan are at about 4/32" (not quite level with the little wear bars) but the rears are at 7/32". I assume the better course of action is to just get new ones for all 4 and not just the front?

Generally speaking yes, new tires all around are going to be better if they don't cost $balls. The Macan doesn't have staggered tires, does it? The next set will last longer if you rotate them every few thousand miles.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Safety Dance posted:

Generally speaking yes, new tires all around are going to be better if they don't cost $balls. The Macan doesn't have staggered tires, does it? The next set will last longer if you rotate them every few thousand miles.

Would it be a Porsche if it didn’t have staggered tires?

:v:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

hmmxkrazee posted:

Ours ('17 Base) did the exact same thing.
I found another set of used square Michelin's (same model tire and even down to the date codes) in the front size on FBM that had almost the exact same thread left as the rears.

I'm tempted to go to a square wheel and tire setup so that we can rotate. (18x9 255/55/18)

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Oct 11, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That reminds me, for anyone in the philly area (or willing to travel to the northern exurbs) I have a set of 18" 5x112 8/9 staggered wheels with the VW/Macan bolt patter with a set of blizzaks or something on them. The rears are pretty much smoked.

It was a tirerack package deal. Wheels looks fine-ish.

I put them in rennlist a while ago for free and only got a couple of flakes who said they'd come get them and then had every excuse in the book. They're still free.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Residency Evil posted:

Would it be a Porsche if it didn’t have staggered tires?

:v:
Does horribly wearing out one axle over the other count as staggered?

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Elite Taco posted:

It's not a real porsche. Doesn't count.

I cant fault your logic, my most problematic porsches have been the 944, cayenne turbo, and the panamera turbo s exec. My boxsters and 911's have never had such issues.

Arione fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 13, 2023

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I need new tires for upcoming track events (and street driving lol). I can start to feel the wear nubs on my continental surecontact. My set up is 225/40 ZR18 up front and 265/35/ZR18 in the rear. I've got two more track events this fall and then it's whatever for next year.

NTB says it's harder for them to get continental tires - and I don't have any problem switching to PS4s. I'm assuming I can just proceed with these? Any real reason to look at the PSS?

I'm 98%/2% street/track and this is my daily.

No complaints on the continentals, just looking for input.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Elite Taco posted:

I need new tires for upcoming track events (and street driving lol). I can start to feel the wear nubs on my continental surecontact. My set up is 225/40 ZR18 up front and 265/35/ZR18 in the rear. I've got two more track events this fall and then it's whatever for next year.

NTB says it's harder for them to get continental tires - and I don't have any problem switching to PS4s. I'm assuming I can just proceed with these? Any real reason to look at the PSS?

I'm 98%/2% street/track and this is my daily.

No complaints on the continentals, just looking for input.

PS4S is what ive used since it came out. I got to track them at the 2017 Porsche Parade. They are also amazing for back roads. decent wear life. if you are going to track spend the extra $100 on the N0 version. I get mine from tire rack and have my dealer install them. Contact your dealer first, but they shouldnt have any issue with you drop shipping them directly to them.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

PS4S are the replacement for PSS from a while ago, definitely would recommend them for you if available in your size. I have them on the E91 and they rip, the only catch is it does get cold enough in dallas you’ll want to be careful they are fine down to about freezing (technically only rated to 40° but I used them in seattle in the upper 20s fine as long as it wasn’t icy, great for drifting onramps at those temps). They have decent tread and pretty much what you want to be looking like. If it is actually icy ever or down to the teens just drive your E91.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The PSS's had a cooler looking sidewall design/profile, at least on my car (they had this little rubber wheelguard-like thing that just looked race-ier).
But the PS4S are claimed to be noticeably improved from the PSS's, and do give amazing performance/tons of confidence on canyons and back road runs. Turn-in feel is amazing, you have to really attempt to get understeer. So far they seem pretty reasonable on wear for an ultra-summer tire with street & irregular autocross use. I've got 275/30ZR-19's on all 4 corners on an E92 M3.

My buddy with the GT4RS got delivered with Continental's equivalent to the PS4S and he immediately replaced them after break in and claims the Michelins are markedly better in his butt-dyno experiences on that car.

Agreed on have them sent from Tire Rack and have your local guy put them on.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

TheBacon posted:

PS4S are the replacement for PSS from a while ago, definitely would recommend them for you if available in your size. I have them on the E91 and they rip, the only catch is it does get cold enough in dallas you’ll want to be careful they are fine down to about freezing (technically only rated to 40° but I used them in seattle in the upper 20s fine as long as it wasn’t icy, great for drifting onramps at those temps). They have decent tread and pretty much what you want to be looking like. If it is actually icy ever or down to the teens just drive your E91.

The e91 is such a good cold weather car. I have Michellin Defender 2s on that thing (and heated seats/steering wheel).

Cool. Gonna make the dang tire appt today.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Was actually sunny enough yesterday here in the PDX area to drive topless, and I am going to do it again today!

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I been topless all week and it owns.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Elite Taco posted:

I been topless all week and it owns.

My birthday is about two weeks away and I'd like to drive it topless that day...

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
I have kept my eye on the 991 market for a while because someday (when I can bring myself to sell the Exige) I plan on picking one up and it is depressing how few manuals there are. I typically look at cargurus and occasionally BaT; are there other sites I should look at? Looking at 991.2 Carrera T, S, or 991.1 Carrera S/GTS.

I have this thought, based on no evidence at all, that manuals are bought up fairly quickly when they do show up.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

You already have a cooler car with the exige imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I’ll take the exige off your hands for free so you don’t have to hem and haw about selling it. You can toss in the QV too if you really have to.

But seriously a 911 seems like an extremely different experience than an exige unless you get a GT product. Is that what you are looking for?