Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Oh yeah also worth noting I thought season 5 of Steven Universe was the funniest season, probably because both the viewers and creators are so familiar with the characters by that point, any charming thing they do is funny and theres more character based humor to mine. The movie continues in that vein as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
Whoa lemon grab was in season 3? I for some reason remember him being introduced way later.

Watching the hbo f&c miniseries made me want to watch adventure time all over again. I especially loved the weird guest animator episodes and how well thought out the lore was.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

FireWorksWell posted:

He sounded a lot different from what I was expecting from all the memes (just like Morty with a higher pitch sometimes)

He sounds like Mr. Sprinkles.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
It is pretty funny that Roiland is in AT as a loud annoying guy who everybody hates.

It's kind of crazy that the first Fionna & Cake episode and the episode that sets up Marceline/PB aired in the same month, was insane watching those back to back

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
AT kinda drags for me in Season 5 and 6 I get the point of awkward teen Finn but I didn’t like watching those eps. I dropped the show for a while after Frost and Fire aired, it was a weird episode

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

mutantIke posted:

It is pretty funny that Roiland is in AT as a loud annoying guy who everybody hates.

He also voices an annoying character in Star Vs the Forces of Evil, which is deliberately left behind and ignored. Life imitates art.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

i don't have enough knowledge to say if The Anime Feminist's posts are Wrong About Anime, but some of their columns were illuminating. I certainly didn't know i.e. there was active societal repression against suspected Otakus in the 90s cuz of a serial killer.
Yeah the Miyazaki murders were vile enough to kick off a huge moral panic and cast a long shadow over the 90s.

Endorph posted:

anime feminist will often give completely random stuff a pass and then complain about the same thing in other shows, tho. its useless for even that purpose
Which is what you expect from any site that has multiple writers, again, nothing you've said makes it useless for that purpose, especially when other anime sites are talking about it even less or not at all.

AlternateNu posted:

That second video has Bojack on the title card and never mentions it, nor brings it up as an obvious counterpoint to their whole doomerism thesis.

It's a bad video. :colbert:

Oxxidation posted:

assepoester/the united states exclusively machine-guns youtube links, I don’t think they actually watch most of them before posting
I watched the first and the third a while ago, but never watched the second, so if you have some criticism of it that's great. I was just finding some animation genre criticism that wasn't youtube reactionaries railing against the dread demon calarts they made up in their heads.

The 7th Guest posted:

how on earth was I disqualified from talking on this subject btw, my avatar is from Nancy comics and I have posted here all the time

posting an “it’s never racist to hate anime” meme in the middle of a lengthy discussion on detangling assumptions about the medium is just flat out loser behavior
I dunno why you would be disqualified, you've been posting in this thread for a long time so I was never talking about you. And the whole discussion was about how "assumptions about the medium" cannot be completely detangled when new examples of those assumptions keep popping up.

Booky posted:

i am not watching any of those videos, youtube link spammer
frankly its also pretty funny i spelled out how discussion about anime gets tied into racist assumptions about a whole other country for crappy tv shows and your response is about how cartoons have negative stereotypes too!!! i don't loving see people saying america is a nation of pedophiles for rick and morty

also i've lurked this thread for ages you dweeb
You may have lurked for a long time but what got you to finally post? That's right.

You don't have to watch any videos, I'm just making a point by showing they exist. And I'm not sure why you're jumping to "rick and morty = america pedophiles" because that's not anything like what anyone was saying here. But if you want to make inferences about american culture and the creators of rick and morty, well, there's a lot there and a lot of it is ugly. It's not a coincidence that an early episode made a point to emphasize how all evidence that a dead character was a child molesting pedophile was covered up and then it turns out Roiland was preying on minors himself, and it's not an accident that he was able to get away with it for so long. And we were just talking about the issues with Big Mouth here.

Of course no is going to make some big generalization of all american animation here because we're familiar with so much of it here, but if you were from another country and the only american cartoons you got translated into your native language were Rick & Morty, Big Mouth, and uh... maybe some of South Park I guess, and told these were all being translated and released in your country because they were all wildly popular in america, you would have some very weird and some very negative impressions of american animation and you wouldn't be wrong for having them. And the counterpart to this discussion would be happening on a message board in your native language, and not on an english language message board hosted in america.

Hell, the perpetual "why is american media so prudish yet so violent" question being asked by europeans has been a message board staple for as long as there have been message boards. I remember back in the heyday of LOST and 24 and "peak tv" someone remarked that american tv was incredibly violent and cruel. Looking back on the post 9/11 era of american culture, they were absolutely right. And I still think they're right. Sometimes criticism is correct, even if it has to make generalizations.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Assepoester posted:

I dunno why you would be disqualified, you've been posting in this thread for a long time so I was never talking about you. And the whole discussion was about how "assumptions about the medium" cannot be completely detangled when new examples of those assumptions keep popping up.

You may have lurked for a long time but what got you to finally post? That's right.

You don't have to watch any videos, I'm just making a point by showing they exist. And I'm not sure why you're jumping to "rick and morty = america pedophiles" because that's not anything like what anyone was saying here. But if you want to make inferences about american culture and the creators of rick and morty, well, there's a lot there and a lot of it is ugly. It's not a coincidence that an early episode made a point to emphasize how all evidence that a dead character was a child molesting pedophile was covered up and then it turns out Roiland was preying on minors himself, and it's not an accident that he was able to get away with it for so long. And we were just talking about the issues with Big Mouth here.

Of course no is going to make some big generalization of all american animation here because we're familiar with so much of it here, but if you were from another country and the only american cartoons you got translated into your native language were Rick & Morty, Big Mouth, and uh... maybe some of South Park I guess, and told these were all being translated and released in your country because they were all wildly popular in america, you would have some very weird and some very negative impressions of american animation and you wouldn't be wrong for having them. And the counterpart to this discussion would be happening on a message board in your native language, and not on an english language message board hosted in america.

Hell, the perpetual "why is american media so prudish yet so violent" question being asked by europeans has been a message board staple for as long as there have been message boards. I remember back in the heyday of LOST and 24 and "peak tv" someone remarked that american tv was incredibly violent and cruel. Looking back on the post 9/11 era of american culture, they were absolutely right. And I still think they're right. Sometimes criticism is correct, even if it has to make generalizations.

im going to cast every fusion spell from persona 2: innocent sin on you, youtube link spammer.

you absolutely would be wrong for judging a whole country entirely just off of bad media poo poo from said country, and frankly i find it deeply offensive you're even desperately trying to justify why its totally ok actually, because the existence of said bad poo poo somehow makes it alright to cast aspersions on them as a whole (which hey, is why i brought up rick and morty to begin with) cause you're too much of a moron to get over your stereotyping for 5 seconds, to say nothing about how insanely idiotic it is to claim everything in the medium (i think thats the right term?) is garbage because of it. get over your kneejerk "negative impressions" and actually learn some poo poo instead of clutching your unfounded opinions

"Sometimes criticism is correct, even if it has to make generalizations." do i need to explain the concepts of stereotypes and xenophobia like you're 5 years old? because my point earlier was that people give white people works the benefit of the doubt 10000 times over and never say america is a nation of pedophiles over it but god forbid a japanese work have some bad poo poo in it because of double standards!! (this also applies to works made by queer people only its more "making GBS threads on queer peoples works")

Ccs posted:

Oh yeah also worth noting I thought season 5 of Steven Universe was the funniest season, probably because both the viewers and creators are so familiar with the characters by that point, any charming thing they do is funny and theres more character based humor to mine. The movie continues in that vein as well.

its been long enough i can't recall any s5/movie gags but its a v fun watch for sure!! are you planning on watching future too? imo i liked it a lot :)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
ban anime chat

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Assepoester posted:

Which is what you expect from any site that has multiple writers, again, nothing you've said makes it useless for that purpose, especially when other anime sites are talking about it even less or not at all.
what if you just did like, five minutes of independent research tho

like this whole conversation is extremely weird to me because i read books and poo poo but when it comes to broader pop media jp, anime-flavored stuff is about 70% of what i engage with, and, i barely ever run into anything like this. im never 'surprised.' and its not inurement to it or anything, i just rarely see this stuff. i could genuinely list 100 things that dont have any of the objectionable stuff people are talking about off the top of my head. 250 if you gave me time. i make random recs to people i know irl who barely watch anime and they never come back to me with any complaints. you dont need a primer guide to watch random stuff.

like mushoku tensei and shield hero arent especially popular series in japan, and they aren't selling shield hero t-shirts at my local mall or anything. they're somewhat popular on like, my anime list and reddit, but those are places for terminally online, largely male, western nerds. i havent seen them because i have no interest in the kind of thing they obviously are. iunno how people are getting an impression of them as series they need to check out despite little familiarity with anime. that isnt dismissal, im genuinely asking. youtube?

Endorph fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Oct 5, 2023

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
Can you give a brief list. I’ve enjoyed the few recommendations so far.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Booky posted:

im going to cast every fusion spell from persona 2: innocent sin on you, youtube link spammer.

you absolutely would be wrong for judging a whole country entirely just off of bad media poo poo from said country, and frankly i find it deeply offensive you're even desperately trying to justify why its totally ok actually, because the existence of said bad poo poo somehow makes it alright to cast aspersions on them as a whole (which hey, is why i brought up rick and morty to begin with) cause you're too much of a moron to get over your stereotyping for 5 seconds, to say nothing about how insanely idiotic it is to claim everything in the medium (i think thats the right term?) is garbage because of it. get over your kneejerk "negative impressions" and actually learn some poo poo instead of clutching your unfounded opinions

"Sometimes criticism is correct, even if it has to make generalizations." do i need to explain the concepts of stereotypes and xenophobia like you're 5 years old? because my point earlier was that people give white people works the benefit of the doubt 10000 times over and never say america is a nation of pedophiles over it but god forbid a japanese work have some bad poo poo in it because of double standards!! (this also applies to works made by queer people only its more "making GBS threads on queer peoples works")
See the problem here with what you're saying is: who judging a whole country or saying "america/japan is a nation of pedophiles?" Who?

We're talking about anime and problems with anime that no one is saying are universal (indeed much of the discussion revolved around recommendations for anime that doesn't have these problems) but that are common enough that works that are highly acclaimed or recommended by friends or shown on TV are gonna have them. We're talking about this here and now because there isn't any sort of filter on what gets translated and localized into english to be able to avoid it and virtually the entire english speaking anime community has a blind spot the size of texas. There's a reason there are shows that we can't talk about on these forums and there's a reason it was an ongoing joke/observation in ADTRW and other anime forums when one of the 4 billion isekai anime takes a critical view of slavery, and there's a reason the largest anime thread outside ADTRW is titled "At this point I'm just happy for any show with a cast of adult characters" and it's not because of racism or xenophobia so gently caress all the way off with blowing that horn and lighting the batshit signal just because people are criticizing anime.

This is an animation thread and anime is animation so that really isn't possible, even if it's not the focus it will necessarily come up as a point in comparison.

Endorph posted:

what if you just did like, five minutes of independent research tho

like this whole conversation is extremely weird to me because i read books and poo poo but when it comes to broader pop media jp, anime-flavored stuff is about 70% of what i engage with, and, i barely ever run into anything like this. im never 'surprised.' and its not inurement to it or anything, i just rarely see this stuff. i could genuinely list 100 things that dont have any of the objectionable stuff people are talking about off the top of my head. 250 if you gave me time. i make random recs to people i know irl who barely watch anime and they never come back to me with any complaints. you dont need a primer guide to watch random stuff.

like mushoku tensei and shield hero arent especially popular series in japan, and they aren't selling shield hero t-shirts at my local mall or anything. they're somewhat popular on like, my anime list and reddit, but those are places for terminally online, largely male, western nerds. i havent seen them because i have no interest in the kind of thing they obviously are. iunno how people are getting an impression of them as series they need to check out despite little familiarity with anime. that isnt dismissal, im genuinely asking. youtube?
Since this is an english speaking forum I really doubt we're talking about the broader pop media of japan here, we're talking about what gets translated and localized in english, and since a lot of what we're talking about is on american tv, discussion is going to be america-centric. So mushoku tensei and shield hero being more popular in america or the west than in japan (and I think goblin slayer being another one of those?) just explains why they're a good chunk of what we see might when "anime" is advertised as a reason to subscribe to Crunchyroll, the largest anime streaming service in the world, but it doesn't make them not anime. Because anime is what we're talking about here, not japan or how popular said show is or isn't in japan.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Oct 5, 2023

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Has anyone been watching Castlevania: Nocturne? So far (3 eps in) I can't say it's terrible but it really doesn't have what made the original series pop for me. Like somehow the character interactions don't feel as genuine.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kaewan posted:

Can you give a brief list. I’ve enjoyed the few recommendations so far.
sure, here's 10 random ones i'd say are very good on top of that

Trigun
Gankutsuou
The Big O
Baccano
Mushishi
Natsume's Book of Friends
Chihayafuru
Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
Mob Psycho 100
Odd Taxi

also i dont think its top tier but snow white with the red hair is a cute fantasy romance series that randomly came to mind

of stuff that came out in the past year or so Skip to Loafer and Gundam The Witch from Mercury are cool. ending to witch from mercury is rushed as hell but its got fun characters.

Assepoester posted:

Since this is an english speaking forum I really doubt we're talking about the broader pop media of japan here, we're talking about what gets translated and localized in english
pretty much everything gets translated into english these days though, due to streaming services. heck even most manga get english releases these days, including the stuff thats very dry and adult (as in actually about adults and dealing with adult problems in a grounded way, not sex or w/e).

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Has anyone been watching Castlevania: Nocturne? So far (3 eps in) I can't say it's terrible but it really doesn't have what made the original series pop for me. Like somehow the character interactions don't feel as genuine.
it feels like its kinda trying too hard. the original castlevania netflix series felt pretty natural and like it was built off an affection for the source material and nocturne feels way more like its just trying to recreate that.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Oct 5, 2023

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Basically binged all of Adventure Time, Distant Lands, and Fionna & Cake. I enjoyed everything a lot more than I was expecting to, because rather than having to wait between episodes and thus watch older eps repeated via syndication, it can give a distorted memory-sense of how the series played out, or how it was paced.

I think the 3rd episode of Distant Lands was an absolute best way to 'end' the series while still not invalidating anything else going on. It oddly gave me a sense of relief about anything else going forward.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hopefully the devil may cry netflix series is good but i can easily imagine it being terrible

then again the devil may cry anime was also not very good

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Really enjoyed the first two seasons, but just don't feel the slightest interest in watching the third.

The first two wrapped things up really nicely, then it turned out Warren Ellis was a huge creep and I was, okay yeah, I can leave that behind me now.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Assepoester posted:

Yeah the Miyazaki murders were vile enough to kick off a huge moral panic and cast a long shadow over the 90s.

I watched the first and the third a while ago, but never watched the second, so if you have some criticism of it that's great. I was just finding some animation genre criticism that wasn't youtube reactionaries railing against the dread demon calarts they made up in their heads.

bro what? you don't even watch your own videos?? lmao are you kidding me. you're a fraud. a phony. your entire posting gimmick is in shambles

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

There was some chat here a few pages back, but the general thread vibe is against Nocturne. I think one goon may have liked it, and you might like it too, but yeah...

I didn't like it all very much tbh. Very mediocre, lots of nicely animated fights but I didn't care very much u because the characters, ideas and general structure wasn't compelling at all. Very repetitive and empty headed, with a strange lack of consistency with the previous series in a few places.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

No more anime chat in this thread.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm confused what the status of vampires in the world is now. Like Annette's former master is very obviously and openly a vampire in the opera scene - do people not really care and just allow them to do what they like now? Will this worldbuilding shift be addressed later?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

I'm confused what the status of vampires in the world is now. Like Annette's former master is very obviously and openly a vampire in the opera scene - do people not really care and just allow them to do what they like now? Will this worldbuilding shift be addressed later?

I dunno if it will. There's a number of differences between series e.g. there's a completely different logic to vampires and crosses, and the whip behaves differently despite ostensibly being the same weapon. I think they're just not being very diligent in maintaining continuity between the adaptations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

I think it's mainly just that the ancien regime is willing to openly hop into bed with literal monsters to preserve its crumbing position, and has been so for a while. Not that divorced from history, TBH. Mark Twain's famous passage about the 'two Terrors' seems to have been a major inspiration for this show.

quote:

There were two “Reigns of Terror,” if we would but remember it and consider it; the one wrought murder in hot passion, the other in heartless cold blood; the one lasted mere months, the other had lasted a thousand years; the one inflicted death upon ten thousand persons, the other upon a hundred millions; but our shudders are all for the “horrors” of the minor Terror, the momentary Terror, so to speak; whereas, what is the horror of swift death by the axe, compared with lifelong death from hunger, cold, insult, cruelty, and heart-break? What is swift death by lightning compared with death by slow fire at the stake? A city cemetery could contain the coffins filled by that brief Terror which we have all been so diligently taught to shiver at and mourn over; but all France could hardly contain the coffins filled by that older and real Terror—that unspeakably bitter and awful Terror which none of us has been taught to see in its vastness or pity as it deserves.

On that note, the Abbot is wonderfully awful. Just the most cowardly, narcissistic serial disappointment.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Yea it's pretty clear what made it good was Ellis. We watched all of Nocturne in one go and it was just kinda tedious. The story is weirdly random and disconnected too, I don't like it.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

:350:

Why are there so many women in Quahog willing to have sex with Brian the dog?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Assepoester posted:

See the problem here with what you're saying is: who judging a whole country or saying "america/japan is a nation of pedophiles?" Who?

the posts earlier that ppl were replying to you deranged ape

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Ccs posted:

Yeah. The movie was honestly a better stopping point, and I'm kinda annoyed Future exists. It's not as bad as some other endings (How I Met Your Mother, Eden of the East, etc), but it's like a 7/10 ending to a 9/10 show that had a 10/10 ending.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Waffle! posted:

r/dogpilled

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Waffle! posted:

Consider what the human men in Quahog are like.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The Harkness test didn't account for whether they're a complete rear end in a top hat.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I enjoyed it but I am a glutton for Castlevania content. It is clearly 1-2 steps down from the heights that the first series reached in terms of storytelling and complexity. Nocturne is definitely relying on vibes and good will from the first series, so hopefully they can improve on things in the next season. I remember S1 of the first series feeling a bit disjointed as well but I'd have to go back and watch it again to make a solid comparison.

IIRC in the opera scene he isn't like baying for blood, he's just some rich rear end in a top hat yelling about how smelly slaves are and demanding his enslaved human property back. We (the viewer) know he's a vampire but I don't think the scene is meant to convey that everyone else (the opera attendees) knows that except for maybe Edouard because of his powers. The framing is messy, like a lot of the context setting in the series, and doesn't do itself any favors.

In France the aristocrats that are vampires seem to be secluding themselves for various reasons or at least keeping things somewhat shadowy but that seems to be mostly due to the spreading revolutionary fervor.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I dunno if it will. There's a number of differences between series e.g. there's a completely different logic to vampires and crosses, and the whip behaves differently despite ostensibly being the same weapon. I think they're just not being very diligent in maintaining continuity between the adaptations.

The crosses thing definitely caught me off guard, because in the first series the significance of a cross was basically "geometric shape" and even being wielded by someone with a lot of faith wouldn't make a difference to a powerful vampire or monster. Then again there's definitely a shift in the diffusion of magic and otherworldly forces compared to the first series, so maybe they'll explain/expand on it later.

The whip stuff I just chalked up to Belmonts having centuries to practice with it and refine their technique, plus magic. If it starts blowing monsters up like the Morningstar then there would be a clearer issue.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Neito posted:

Yeah. The movie was honestly a better stopping point, and I'm kinda annoyed Future exists. It's not as bad as some other endings (How I Met Your Mother, Eden of the East, etc), but it's like a 7/10 ending to a 9/10 show that had a 10/10 ending.

I very much consider Future a really good epilogue, in that you wouldn't lose that much if you just chose to never watch it at all but I like that it's there. I personally like the followthrough on Steven's emotional arc and wouldn't be as satisfied without it, but if Future had never existed at all I probably would have still felt good with the movie as a capstone.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Das Boo posted:

Show me all the animation, drat it.

:hai:

What's the over-under on the commentators saying Luffy's name wrong?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TwoPair posted:

:hai:

What's the over-under on the commentators saying Luffy's name wrong?

You honestly think Hoda Kotb gives a poo poo that it's pronounced "Loofy?" Get outta here!

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

how gorey is netflix castlevania anyways? it seems kinda interesting but, im not very great with gore

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Mat Cauthon posted:

I enjoyed it but I am a glutton for Castlevania content. It is clearly 1-2 steps down from the heights that the first series reached in terms of storytelling and complexity. Nocturne is definitely relying on vibes and good will from the first series, so hopefully they can improve on things in the next season. I remember S1 of the first series feeling a bit disjointed as well but I'd have to go back and watch it again to make a solid comparison.

I have watched it recently. S1 of the original starts out on a high note with Dracula unleashing his fury against Wallachia, but it finishes on a wet fart with the three main characters deciding they are best friends seconds after Trevor and Sypha were trying to murder Alucard, then it just ends. At the time it was a really lovely season ending, now we can just step into season 2 immediately and the series just gets better and better. Noctourne doesn't have the huge display of sorcery and terror that the original began with, but it has something similar though more restrained in the final episode when the big bad finally reveals herself. I would say Noctourne is a smoother experience, the worst part by far is the one vampire telling the heroine their entire evil plot for no reason. That scene is completely contrived with who the vampire is (especially in relation to the heroine who is there) and how it goes down. I find it pretty bizarre that they put that scene into the show. I watched the entirety of the first Castlevania series recently and I didn't notice any other blatant dips in the quality of the writing w/r/t Noctourne. It just hasn't had time to establish itself the way that the first series did.

Booky posted:

how gorey is netflix castlevania anyways? it seems kinda interesting but, im not very great with gore

It is a vampire show so there is a lot of blood. What your definition of "gorey" is may vary from mine. In the first episode of the first show someone is burned at the stake and that was more horrifying than any of the blood.

Turpitude fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 5, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Is Netflix Castlevania an adaption of some specific game(s) in the series or more of its own thing?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Larryb posted:

Is Netflix Castlevania an adaption of some specific game(s) in the series or more of its own thing?

The first season is a loose adaptation of Castlevania 3 for the NES.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Larryb posted:

Nocturne is a broad strokes covering of Rondo of Blood, but it is very very fast and loose.

Similarly the first series is a very very loose adaption of Castlevania 3 and Castlevania Curse of Darkness.

Anyway, Nocturne season 1 is probably around the quality of season 4 of the original.

Not quite the loving incredible heights of season 2 original, but that's going to be really hard to achieve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
I never considered Castlevania to have a real "story" so the show to me is more of a vibe. Just all around great animation, action, voice acting, and characterization. The story told in the first series is quite good and unique. The most videogamey part is in the final episode and has a character even say "good game" as a wink to the gamers.