Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

Are you on T-Mobile or Fi? Once again there's a T-Mobile holdup.

Yeah, it's Fi, but that doesn't explain the 3am reboot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

hooah posted:

Has T-Mobile said why they keep doing this?

No, and that's my biggest gripe about the current situation with updates in Android. There's a lack of transparency. I'm fine if there's a bug or concern that they need to work on that delays things, but be upfront about it. Don't say "Android 14 is out for all supported devices now!" and then quietly blacklist two carriers from getting it yet.

This is not just a Pixel issue. My Fold 4 was stuck on Android 12 past the first of this year until I popped my defunct Verizon SIM in it. At least with pixels I can apply the OTA myself, but with information on what the delay is, I can't make that an informed decision.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Oh hey, look, somewhat relevant.

https://9to5google.com/2023/10/05/google-pixel-updates-schedule-change/

No more specific date updates. Updates will come when they are done. This is basically iOS's schedule.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

bull3964 posted:

Oh hey, look, somewhat relevant.

https://9to5google.com/2023/10/05/google-pixel-updates-schedule-change/

No more specific date updates. Updates will come when they are done. This is basically iOS's schedule.

Except when iOS updates are available, they are actually available.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Interesting, the Pixel 8 Pro has a slightly lower screen resolution than the 7 Pro:

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Google-Pixel-8-Pro,Google-Pixel-7-Pro/phones/12144,11907

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The Merkinman posted:

Except when iOS updates are available, they are actually available.

That's actually the subtext of the statement.

quote:

We also dug into how we can deliver the highest quality, best tested updates to Pixel users on a consistent basis. As part of this effort, our security updates, bug fixes and feature updates won’t roll out on a specific day each month. Instead, we’ll deploy updates as soon as they’ve completed the necessary tests to ensure they improve the experience for all Pixel customers.

In a situation we're in right now if it was iOS land, no one would have the update. It would be held until it was ready for every device on all carriers. They can do this because there is no specific expectation of WHEN an update is coming until it's already been cleared and announced.

This is going to work both ways. Sometimes we may get the update on the 1st that falls on a weds instead of waiting until the following Monday. Sometimes we won't get the update until the 18th due to some carrier holdup. However, everyone gets it at once so there's none of this "I can't pull the update" stuff. Yes, it also means that people on Verizon may have to wait for an update due to an issue that only affects ATT or T-Mobile, but without the expectation of a specific date, no one will actually know.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Interesting, the Pixel 8 Pro has a slightly lower screen resolution than the 7 Pro:

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Google-Pixel-8-Pro,Google-Pixel-7-Pro/phones/12144,11907

This has been known for quite awhile and has been a source of much hysterics on Reddit about the 8 Pro being downgraded to an HD+ screen instead of QHD+.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

bull3964 posted:

That's actually the subtext of the statement.

In a situation we're in right now if it was iOS land, no one would have the update. It would be held until it was ready for every device on all carriers. They can do this because there is no specific expectation of WHEN an update is coming until it's already been cleared and announced.

This is going to work both ways. Sometimes we may get the update on the 1st that falls on a weds instead of waiting until the following Monday. Sometimes we won't get the update until the 18th due to some carrier holdup. However, everyone gets it at once so there's none of this "I can't pull the update" stuff. Yes, it also means that people on Verizon may have to wait for an update due to an issue that only affects ATT or T-Mobile, but without the expectation of a specific date, no one will actually know.

This has been known for quite awhile and has been a source of much hysterics on Reddit about the 8 Pro being downgraded to an HD+ screen instead of QHD+.

I just took that to mean rather than trying to develop and test* a security fix to be available for the first Monday, it's just better to do it when it's done rather than rushing out/delaying a month.

I don't see anything in there about the carrier holdup. I think our differing takes depend on the word 'deploy'.

*Test meaning Google testing the fix, not carriers.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That's why my emphasis was on "all Pixel customers". To me, that implies they want a unified experience. No pushing an update that's done for the Pixel 7 but not the Pixel 6. No pushing an update that's cleared Verizon testing but not T-Mobile testing. When an update clears all testing hurdles for all Pixel customers, then it is deployed. We'll see though, it's also not clear if this is an 8 thing moving forward or something they are adopting across the board once the 8 launches.

https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/google-gave-its-pixel-8-cameras-a-major-upgrade-heres-how-they-did-it/

This goes into some details about video boos. First and foremost, they mention the use of dual gain here which the GN1 does not have out of the box. This points to a possibly custom sensor that may be based on the GN1, but not the same one that's on the 6 and 7.

Other bit here is that during video capture, up to 400 pieces of metadata are captured per frame to characterize the scene that is later used for the server side video boost. So, this isn't simply running the video through some algorithm that could be used for any video source, it's using extra meta that's captured in parallel as parameters in the boost.

Reading between the lines, I think this goes back to the parallel processing of the ML parts of the G3. I also suspect that the G3 parts in the Pixel 8 have missing ML blocks compared to the Pixel 8 Pro (binning?) which prevents some of the more intensive parallel ML tasks like the one necessary here for video boost.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Is this not just Google not wanting to deal with self imposed deadlines? Instead of stories about updates being delayed from the usual schedule, they're saying the schedule is just "when it's done", which really just means there is no schedule.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

this is pretty cool

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
All Pixels were supposed to be getting the updates at the same time for years now, I don't think this means anything will change on that front. More importantly though, I know we're all phone nerds here, but it's 2023. I know most of us come from the days when a new update meant finally being able to take a screenshot without having to root your phone, but nowadays it's really not necessary to smash the update button as soon as a release is announced. Just enjoy the phone and install the update when it shows up. The time you spend sideloading the update cause you couldn't wait a day would be better spent enjoying your perfectly capable phone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Incessant Excess posted:

Is this not just Google not wanting to deal with self imposed deadlines? Instead of stories about updates being delayed from the usual schedule, they're saying the schedule is just "when it's done", which really just means there is no schedule.

Arbitrary public self imposed deadlines suck when you have externalities that you can't fully account for. You are either forced to stay silent, causing backlash from owners, or you are forced to disclose a zero day before you had a chance to patch it, or you are forced to implicate carrier partners which are vitally necessary relationships to grow the brand. You also may be forced to push certain bug fixes to the next month if it would have required 2 days more testing (or 3 or 7), lowering the quality of a release.

Depending on how the development teams are structured, this can have big positive effect on code quality since they have a little more freedom to see backlog items to completion rather delay their resolution for several release cycles if they didn't make some arbitrary cutoff. Instead of having some dumb UI glitch being continually pushed to the next sprint because there's never quite enough time to get it merged and tested with the latest release, you could add another week and a half to this cycle to clear out small backlog items like that.

I've been the supply side of a dated monthly release cycle (operations, not strictly dev) and it SUUUUUCKS and is so inefficient. You end up with rushed releases with poor quality. Stuff that's being QA'd up until the last second that never gets full coverage, then you end up having to do a mid cycle hotfix to fix some edge case that was missed in the testing rush. Then you burnt like 1/4th of the next sprint fixing bugs you introduced from the last sprint's crunch which leads to further delays, all of which could be righted if you delayed like a week or two.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 5, 2023

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I wonder why the base Pixels have slightly reduced screen size from the 6?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Because everyone and their cousin have been screaming for smaller phones even though sales data rarely shows that smaller phones sell?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I wonder how much of that reduction is going from the curved screen to the flat.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Interesting to note, the S23 Ultra actually has a lower resolution that the Pixel 7 Pro.

It probably does have to do with not having the screen be curved anymore. There's not really much point in sweating 100 pixels here or there either way. What likely is the case is there is that they decided upon a display that had the specs that they wanted (brightness, power consumption, etc.) and it was in a specific pixel density. They already had a chassis designed, so the displays were built to fit at that density.

Edit: As per usual, people are starting to report displays being setup in Best Buy if you want an early hands on.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 5, 2023

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Resolution is a settled factor these days. Unless you're pixel peeping, most phones look fine in that regard. I really wish the regular 8 had that LTPO screen, 1Hz is crazy.

Android 14 has added back screen on time since last full charge, I don't know why the hell they took it away in the first place. I'm on 7 hours now with 10% left on my Pixel 7, not as bad as I thought it would be. It'll be interesting to see what it's like in work tomorrow, where battery life goes to die.

Edit: YouTube is reporting 2h 22m background activity. I don't have YouTube Premium, so what the hell is it doing in the background?

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 5, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Even better is it's updated in real time. A13 only updated every two hours, so if you looked at the wrong time, you had a time chunk of two hours that was unaccounted for.

So, you could use your phone straight from 2pm to 3:49pm and 1hr 49 minutes of SoT would be omitted if you looked at the battery stats at 3:59.

I have to wonder how many "BATTERY LIFE IS SO TERRIBLE" reports were due to that bad reporting.

Like, I'm at 1.5 hrs of SoT with my phone at 80%. This is the pixel fold. That extrapolates out to 7.5hrs of SoT for the full battery.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 5, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Google has also said that on top of the 7 years of updates, they are committing to keep iFixit supplied with parts for 7 years.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

bull3964 posted:

Google has also said that on top of the 7 years of updates, they are committing to keep iFixit supplied with parts for 7 years.

That's really really good wow. They are making some major moves at changing the whole "Androids don't keep their value as well as iPhones" thing.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

the 7 years of updates is making me consider going from a Pixel 4 XL to a Pixel 8, especially free google earbuds with ANC and the $260 for tradein, hrmmmmm

I just wish phones were smaller, it seems like they keep trying to push the phablet sized phones and I just want a rinky dinky phone to take decent photos with and scroll tiktok with and sometimes play a game

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

sourdough posted:

Pixel 8 actually went slightly smaller than Pixel 7 :letsgo: I was thinking about the pro now that it isn't curved edges but smaller = better

GreenBuckanneer posted:

the 7 years of updates is making me consider going from a Pixel 4 XL to a Pixel 8, especially free google earbuds with ANC and the $260 for tradein, hrmmmmm

I just wish phones were smaller, it seems like they keep trying to push the phablet sized phones and I just want a rinky dinky phone to take decent photos with and scroll tiktok with and sometimes play a game

The new Pixel 8 (non-Pro) is just a smidge larger than the Pixel 3 and Pixel 5 :dance:

I had a pixel 3 and had to upgrade to the pixel 6 due to hardware failure after N years; when it arrived I pretty much rage-returned the 6 because it was just Too loving Huge. Picked up a green 5 from the used market. Looks like the Pixel 8 is still larger overall than the 5, but same width, just merely taller (probably so they can fit more ads on the screen for mobile users)

Anyways between a halfway decent sized phone and excellent parts availability, probably, finally, going to upgrade to a new phone

code:
pixel 3:  145.6 x 68.2 x 7.9 mm
pixel 4:  147.1 x 68.8 x 8.2 mm
pixel 5:  144.7 x 70.4 x 8.0 mm
pixel 6:  158.6 x 74.8 x 8.9 mm 
pixel 7:  155.6 x 73.2 x 8.7 mm
pixel 8:  150.5 x 70.8 x 8.9 mm
edit: gonna go make a template and double check it fits in my jorts pocket

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 6, 2023

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

One day Google will decide that it's worth them selling Pixels in New Zealand and I won't have to parallel import one from Australia. It sucks not being able to take advantage of any of the pre-order bonuses or deals. I'll pick one up towards the end of the year, I suppose, but it's a bit deflating.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

the pixel 8 is slightly bigger and this phone....works, but it's gettin kind of clunky and the battery life kind of stinks

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Hadlock posted:

The new Pixel 8 (non-Pro) is just a smidge larger than the Pixel 3 and Pixel 5 :dance:

I had a pixel 3 and had to upgrade to the pixel 6 due to hardware failure after N years; when it arrived I pretty much rage-returned the 6 because it was just Too loving Huge. Picked up a green 5 from the used market. Looks like the Pixel 8 is still larger overall than the 5, but same width, just merely taller (probably so they can fit more ads on the screen for mobile users)

Anyways between a halfway decent sized phone and excellent parts availability, probably, finally, going to upgrade to a new phone

code:
pixel 3:  145.6 x 68.2 x 7.9 mm
pixel 4:  147.1 x 68.8 x 8.2 mm
pixel 5:  144.7 x 70.4 x 8.0 mm
pixel 6:  158.6 x 74.8 x 8.9 mm 
pixel 7:  155.6 x 73.2 x 8.7 mm
pixel 8:  150.5 x 70.8 x 8.9 mm
edit: gonna go make a template and double check it fits in my jorts pocket

I didn't actually realize the 8 was that much smaller, being as wide as the 5 is awesome

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I really want a 4.8" screen but it seems like that's a foregone conclusion at this point

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Don't forget that the Pixel 8 will have sick trade in deals and discounts in a couple months. Last year I upgraded from a 6 to a 7 for $100 after the Pixel friends $100 off and trade in.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So thanks to the couple of impressions in this thread I picked up the Xperia 1 V (especially since it went on a small sale and we don't officially get the Pixel series) and I'm loving it so far in these first days. Enjoy the control I have in shooting, but I'm wondering, what are people using to edit photos? If I use the editor from the camera's gallery, I get some sort of Google Photo fork, which is okay, but I'd like something more powerful on the phone if possible. I guess I could also export the photo to a computer but I don't want to do that for every photo.

Artelier fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Oct 6, 2023

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Artelier posted:

So thanks to the couple of impressions in this thread I picked up the Xperia 1 V (especially since it went on a small sale we don't officially get the Pixel series) and I'm loving it so far in these first days. Enjoy the control I have in shooting, but I'm wondering, what are people using to edit photos? If I use the editor from the camera's gallery, I get some sort of Google Photo fork, which is okay, but I'd like something more powerful on the phone if possible. I guess I could also export the photo to a computer but I don't want to do that for every photo.

If you just want something free to mess around with there's still Snapseed. It's a lot of filters but also gives you control of brightness, contrast, saturation, etc. Let's you tweak individual RGB curves. I suppose something like Lightroom would be more appropriate for serious work but I am not a Serious Photographer.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
https://www.androidpolice.com/google-pixel-8-hands-on-b/

Disappointing if true. We'll see; I definitely don't feel any pull to upgrade from a P7 immediately. A big efficiency boost to improve from the P7s mediocre battery life would be the biggest draw for me.

FistEnergy fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 6, 2023

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

is it longer than the battery life of the pixel 4xl?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

FistEnergy posted:

https://www.androidpolice.com/google-pixel-8-hands-on-b/

Disappointing if true. We'll see; I definitely don't feel any pull to upgrade from a P7 immediately. A big efficiency boost to improve from the P7s mediocre battery life would be the biggest draw for me.

I bet all those missing features will eventually be added to the regular Pixel 8. I'm guessing most of them will end up available to anyone with a Google One subscription as well.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but the Pixel 8 (non-Pro) is smaller than your Pixel 4 XL. At least from what I see at Phone Arena.

The 8 Pro is very slightly larger, though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Like I said, I suspect that the G3 is binned. Ones that had fully functional Tensor sections went to the Pixel 8 Pro and the ones that had flaws went to the 8 and they limited stuff that required a fully functional chip to the Pixel 8 Pro.

Desk Lamp posted:

I bet all those missing features will eventually be added to the regular Pixel 8. I'm guessing most of them will end up available to anyone with a Google One subscription as well.

The video boost specifically uses meta data gathered in parallel during recording (up to 400 elements per frame) to do the post processing magic. No metadata, no Video Boost. That's a feature that really can't move downstream without the necessary hardware at the time of capture.

The pro camera mode still uses Google's computational raw output, so I suspect it's probably requiring a lot more of the ML models if the user can arbitrarily change camera settings to get an output other than what the camera would have decided automatically.

We are never going to know for sure, but quite a few of these features require the requisite hardware to work because substantial parallel processing has to be done at capture time (unlike Photo Unblur and Magic Eraser.)

Really, with the 'a' series, there's not much reason for them to use the 8 to push people to the Pro. They could have made an 8 with most of the Pro features and priced it at $899, but I suspect people would cry foul on that too. I do think though with the smaller chassis they are kind of stuck when it comes to including the telephoto (and probably the upgraded ultrawide). Go look at a teardown of the 8, there isn't much room left in the camera bar for a periscope camera. One of the downsides of going smaller.

They could have potentially used the Pixel Fold camera array for space constraints, but I think that's a bad compromise losing the larger main sensor.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Oct 6, 2023

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Artelier posted:

So thanks to the couple of impressions in this thread I picked up the Xperia 1 V (especially since it went on a small sale and we don't officially get the Pixel series) and I'm loving it so far in these first days. Enjoy the control I have in shooting, but I'm wondering, what are people using to edit photos? If I use the editor from the camera's gallery, I get some sort of Google Photo fork, which is okay, but I'd like something more powerful on the phone if possible. I guess I could also export the photo to a computer but I don't want to do that for every photo.

I think Light Room is the generally preferred application for editing photos. There is a non-paid version on the Play Store. Glad to hear you're enjoying the phone so far!

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
I ended up cracking the screen on my pixel 6 pro yesterday at work, so maybe this is a sign that I should upgrade (I really just wanna mess with the new 8 pro and get that $50 LTE watch)

Edit: in the interim I'm using my old pixel 3 and I'm surprised at how snappy it still is. Battery life isn't great so far but it's mostly plugged in for the majority of the day anyway so meh.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I would keep an eye on Best Buy trade in deals. Last year they were offering at one point a bonus even if the screen was cracked.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

bull3964 posted:

I would keep an eye on Best Buy trade in deals. Last year they were offering at one point a bonus even if the screen was cracked.

I think I'm gonna just pay the 29 bucks for the insurance claim to fix it and then trade it in good as new

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Are you on T-Mobile or Fi? Once again there's a T-Mobile holdup.

It's a month ending in a letter, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I really think it's odd that media outlets aren't making a bigger deal out of the fact that Google has managed to do Level 3 Biometrics with a simple front facing camera. Imagine if Apple were able to shrink the notch Dynamic Island to a single hole punch, everyone would be going insane about their innovation. Maybe it's Google's fault for also not really calling attention to it in the keynote.

It's sleeper stuff like this that Google is doing with Tensor that I think is going to be cumulative over time. All anyone talks about is the ARM core arrangement and the GPU on these SoCs, but there's a whole ton of silicon dedicated to doing ML stuff that doesn't come across in a spec sheet and this stuff seems to be accelerating like crazy. I suspect that by the time we get to Pixel 10, the Video Boost stuff will probably be done in real time on device.

It's like the only really exciting stuff happening on mobile right now. Over time, I think there's going to be a real divergence between a smartphone defined as a device that accesses the internet and runs applications from an app store and a smartphone as a real personal assistant that background manages the minutia of life. It's gonna get really crazy once google starts baking in means for Bard to interact with apps and services you may have on your phone.

"Hey Google, plan my dinner for the week, I'm planning on getting takeout on Friday."

In the background, Bard finds 6 dinners based on your dietary preferences and restrictions, breaks down the ingredients list, interfaces with the app for your local grocery store and places an order for the ingredients, checks your calendar and selects a pickup time that would work best on your schedule, puts the dinners on your calander based on prepation time and ingredient shelf life (being sure to allow plenty of time to cook/eat/and cleanup around other events), then plops the recipes into Keep for you to access at prep time. This all happens on device.

I am not in any way shape or form trying to form a commentary on privacy implications here. I'm simply saying that all of this stuff is more exciting than "your phone can run Resident Evil 4 now."