Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Inzombiac posted:

As the gamers say, let's loving go.

WANT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

theyre seriously excellent and ive been telling everyone I know with a switch to grab one. Im buying one for my sister for xmas for sure.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
My SNES-style Nitro Deck came in today too. Sad that I missed the Atomic Purple, but that aside it's pretty sweet.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

civ v wasnt good until the expansions, unlike civ 4 which was good the entire time THEN got beyond the sword which made it great

Then you play the mod Fall From Heaven 2 and it's infinite mod-mods and for a logass time I didn't need to buy another game. Too bad it doesn't run great on modern hardware. I would gladly pay actual money for a standalone version.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Started a link to the past cuz my dad raised me on Sega and I've never played anything snes based for more than about 20 minutes and 2 hours later I've begrudgingly turned it off because of a 9 am meeting tomorrow and wow its just a great time so far.

Furthest I've ever been in a zelda game before is finishing the soul caliber 2 campaign with Link so all progress

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Started a link to the past cuz my dad raised me on Sega and I've never played anything snes based for more than about 20 minutes and 2 hours later I've begrudgingly turned it off because of a 9 am meeting tomorrow and wow its just a great time so far.

Furthest I've ever been in a zelda game before is finishing the soul caliber 2 campaign with Link so all progress

LTTP is an absolutely fantastic starter Zelda I think. It has aged like fine wine and gives you a really good overview of basically what the series is for the most part outside of BotW/TotK.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Go Ocarina of Time next.

Though another fine choice is Links Awakening remake.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

the only problem with playing link to the past first is that most other zeldas will feel lesser afterward

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I've never played anything snes based for more than about 20 minutes

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Furthest I've ever been in a zelda game before is finishing the soul caliber 2 campaign with Link

:catstare:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

also if you are checking out the snes app, absolutely play super mario world, kirby superstar, donkey kong country 2, super metroid, earthbound, and if you are feeling spicy, super ghouls 'n ghosts

maybe give starfox, f-zero, super mario kart and pilotwings a try too but they're more of their time

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

For some reason demon crest was an obsession on release

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Upsidads posted:

For some reason demon crest was an obsession on release

Demon's Crest is a game that looks way cooler than it ends up being and has enough cool features and ideas that it is easy to get into.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I couldn't put it down till I beat it like I had a grudge

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
soulcalibur 2's story mode was really good though

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Looper posted:

soulcalibur 2's story mode was really good though

Fond memories of using Link’s ridiculously long throw for easy ring outs to grind rank.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Clickbait within clickbait.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Inzombiac posted:

Clickbait within clickbait.

Given how long game dev takes now, and how in bed Capcom is with Nintendo, I can see leaks regarding them having weight

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Mister Facetious posted:

Given how long game dev takes now, and how in bed Capcom is with Nintendo, I can see leaks regarding them having weight

It was going to be announced at TGS according to the last leaker

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I have a leak that someone is going to leak a potential leak concerning the Switch 2.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
I doubt they will announce it until after the holidays. They still want to sell many consoles this Christmas.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

BoldFace posted:

I doubt they will announce it until after the holidays. They still want to sell many consoles this Christmas.

If they were smart, they would have made the current Switch forwards compatible. Then they could've sold both and not had a problem.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Len posted:

Too early. I wouldn't expect a next gen monhun (that isn't a port of world or Rise/sunbreak) until 2026/27

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Dave the diver doesn't come out until 10/26 what

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Inzombiac posted:

As the gamers say, let's loving go.

Trip Report:
This thing makes the Switch go from a Gameboy Advance to a Game Gear. It's CHONKY and adds more weight than I was expecting.

The sticks (which have several different types you can swap out) are smooth as hell and the buttons are perfect. The four programmable buttons on the back are handy but not in the exact right place for me.

Moving the charge port up so you can comfortably charge n' play laying down is a godsend.

However, I don't like that it puts you in to a square grip when the last cradle I had put your wrists at a more comfortable angle. It's not a deal breaker for me but it might be for others.

Overall I friggin love it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hrist posted:

If they were smart, they would have made the current Switch forwards compatible. Then they could've sold both and not had a problem.

Lol, noooo. Then your new console's games are hamstrung by the albatross of having to target the existing Switch as the baseline spec. Which means no new fancy effects and game design because they might not work on the existing Switch otherwise.

It's even been an issue recently with Microsoft's mandate that games MUST be capable of running on the Series S because of Baldurs Gate 3. You don't get "genuine" Series X games, you just get Series S games with better graphics.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I am ready for SM Wonder.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The Switch 2 should have an integrated Pez dispenser because you can't be a true gamer with bad breath.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Which means no new fancy game design because they might not work on the existing Switch otherwise.

Tears of the Kingdom is, in many ways, arguably the most technically advanced video game ever made.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

lol really tossed these guys into a meat grinder. game holds up pretty well

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mega64 posted:

But enough about Pokemon

Pokemon is dog fighting, not being cops.

Except for Detective Pikachu because they often work alongside The Man (pretty sure Harry or his dad's a cop anyways). :colbert:

Len posted:

Capcom and people who worked on the MH series kept saying poo poo like "keep an eye on TGS for MH info" so that leaker was almost certainly someone just making poo poo up based on public info. Like, the lack of MH news at TGS was a surprise specifically because Capcom was acting like it had a big reveal planned and then... nothing but a "check out the anniversary next year!"

Mister Facetious posted:

Too early. I wouldn't expect a next gen monhun (that isn't a port of world or Rise/sunbreak) until 2026/27

Fatalis and the last update to MHW was in 2020 and MH Rise came out in 2021. Unless they decided to make the MH teams all work on Dragon's Dogma 2 there's no way the next Monster Hunter is 3-4 years away. Having those teams work on DD2 instead of a new mainline MH game would be a weird decision too because MH is much bigger than DD. MHW sold something like 16 million copies and Rise is 11-12 million while DD is something like 5-6 million including Dark Arisen and there's no way Capcom thinks DD2 is going to outperform their next MH game.

Unless you mean next gen as in the PS6 and XBox Whatever versions of the game since those consoles are probably 3-4 years out (if not more).

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Pokemon is dog fighting, not being cops.

Except for Detective Pikachu because they often work alongside The Man (pretty sure Harry or his dad's a cop anyways). :colbert:

Capcom and people who worked on the MH series kept saying poo poo like "keep an eye on TGS for MH info" so that leaker was almost certainly someone just making poo poo up based on public info. Like, the lack of MH news at TGS was a surprise specifically because Capcom was acting like it had a big reveal planned and then... nothing but a "check out the anniversary next year!"

Fatalis and the last update to MHW was in 2020 and MH Rise came out in 2021. Unless they decided to make the MH teams all work on Dragon's Dogma 2 there's no way the next Monster Hunter is 3-4 years away. Having those teams work on DD2 instead of a new mainline MH game would be a weird decision too because MH is much bigger than DD. MHW sold something like 16 million copies and Rise is 11-12 million while DD is something like 5-6 million including Dark Arisen and there's no way Capcom thinks DD2 is going to outperform their next MH game.

Unless you mean next gen as in the PS6 and XBox Whatever versions of the game since those consoles are probably 3-4 years out (if not more).

I mean next gen as in a Switch 2 version of whatever (new) monhun they stick on it, whether a sequel to rise/world, or a new one entirely. I wouldn't be surprised if World was ported in the first couple years, like generations ultimate was, but anything other than that or an hd version of Rise i don't see happening for at least the first three/four years of the new console.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 5, 2023

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Christ, Nintendo.... Just give F-Zero GX the Metroid Prime Remaster treatment. It's all I want. It was already perfect. It really was.

Here's hoping it's surprise announced in the inevitable February Direct. A guy can hope....

:negative:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

also if you are checking out the snes app, absolutely play super mario world, kirby superstar, donkey kong country 2, super metroid, earthbound, and if you are feeling spicy, super ghouls 'n ghosts

maybe give starfox, f-zero, super mario kart and pilotwings a try too but they're more of their time

if you want to move on from RPGs available on the snes app then Trials of Mana collection has Secret of Mana, and the FF Pixel remaster of FF 4/5/6 are definately playable and have some quality of life options built in.

all of the above recommendations are great, Links Awakening is available in the GB app and the remake is fantastic as well and very close to the OG game.

OoT and Majora's Mask are great but I don't know how playable they are without an n64 esque controller to use. I grew up playing hundreds of hours of goldeneye but hate playing it on joycons so ymmv

also Mario RPG remake is coming and looks fantastic

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
OoT and MM are mostly fine on joycons. The FPS aiming of the bow/slingshot/etc is a bit clumsier, but that is also the only issue I've had. Maybe the goron rolling controls in MM as well; they feel clumsy but I've also always sucked at that.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts is a good game but the Ghouls 'n Ghosts games do not gently caress around with their difficulty.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts is a good game but the Ghouls 'n Ghosts games do not gently caress around with their difficulty.

the recent remake version is actually good too

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

the recent remake version is actually good too

The only strike against it is it uses that paper doll art style that isn't actually that bad but that most people don't like and for some reason lots of indie games use it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Evil Fluffy posted:

i fuckin love super ghouls 'n ghosts but it is hosed up and not just for its difficulty. it's stiff and the jumping is as much an enemy as any of the enemies are, and sometimes the game will just spawn things in such a way that you will get hit no matter what you do, or even worse you'll be forced to pick up the scythe or torch. it is very not for everyone, even for people who love games that will kick your rear end over and over.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The only strike against it is it uses that paper doll art style that isn't actually that bad but that most people don't like and for some reason lots of indie games use it.

i can get that, but with how many ancient ports there are i think its just fine to g+g to use different styles

it makes the game a lot more approachable while still saving the difficulty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

When I was 9 I could play Ghouls n Ghosts all day (Sega Genesis).
I pre-ordered the new version and holy poo poo am I bad at it. I think I have less than 2 or 3 hours playing on it since the day it came out.