Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

The above discussion is tied to the underlying shittiness of pharma; getting a drug to market requires (legitimate, necessary) massive regulatory and scientific expense, and individual drug patents create a massive boom-or-bust reward structure. It's like a lottery where the jackpot is in the rage of 50 billion, but each ticket is 10 million- and that's if your company's doing everything by the book. If you can find a way to make a ticket cheaper, or get someone else to pay, or get more payments from a winning ticket...

This creates especially strong incentives for a) deregulatory pressure, b) slimy financial practices to deflect risk and speculate on "winners", and c) evading regulations. These all feed into each other, especially the intersection of a) and b), which keep producing new forms of slimy efforts to undermine drug approvals, building upon previous successful deregulatory efforts.

I dream of the day that we recover from and reverse the court decisions that blocked FDA from regulating prescription practices and normalized offlabeling. I have no idea how we get there; we've created a knowledge deficit to the tune of trillions.

At a neurologist conference a couple years ago one of the best parts was a research neurologist from Wake Forest just going through the approval process for Aducanumab .

At the end of the day it only works for 1/3rd of patients, for them it's less effective than the oral generic drug donepezil (which is itself not very effective), and another third of patients suffered swelling of their brain. But the process leading up to that was hysterical and corrupt and it turns out possibly based on forged data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Crazyweasel posted:

I’m not saying there isn’t work to do to make sure Biden wins in ‘24, but you have to think about how many people actually think life would improve under a Trump admin, when we all know inflation is baked into the economy no matter who wins, and then vote that way.

The RWM sources I've heard somehow blame rampant inflation on the COVID checks that went out and also entirely blame Biden for that even though the majority of the money that went out was under Trump. He even signed the loving checks.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Fuschia tude posted:

How hasn't there been a collapse of the VC/AI market by now, anyway? How can these people keep propping up the likes of Tesla, Twitter (huh, now both under the same owner), Strive, etc., for years if not a decade+ on end with no profitability even remotely on the horizon?

Venture capital isn't propping up Tesla or Twitter. Tesla has been profitable enough to sustain itself for years now, and Twitter's buyout was funded by traditional bankers, not VC. In general VC is not involved with mature companies that have been publicly traded for years.

The goal of VC is to prop up a fledgling company and then exit as soon as they can. Generally this means either 1) listing the startup on the stock market (called an IPO) and selling their shares on the open market, or 2) having the company get acquired by a larger company and getting paid out for their ownership stake.

They make money by investing in startups early, well before their potential is realized. Most of their investments fail, but a few generate huge returns (like 100-1000 times initial investment). All you need to do is pick one unicorn and your fund will be set for years / decades, though this is easier said than done.

All of that is to say, profitability doesn't necessarily matter for VC funds. What matters is the perception of future profitability, which allows them to offload their ownership stake to someone else at a huge profit. They are not in the game of investing in companies long term, that's more something that traditional banks and mutual funds do.

Seph fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 1, 2023

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Seph posted:

Venture capital isn't propping up Tesla or Twitter. Tesla has been profitable enough to sustain itself for years now

that's mostly due to electric vehicle tax credits, though, right?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Edit: oops got sucked into Tesla chat.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
This one came in over the weekend.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

daslog posted:

This one came in over the weekend.

I mean. They're not wrong.

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

I finally get some fun New Hampshire mail. There's been a bunch of "it's not too late to switch parties!" mail but this one finally says why - it's the Christie campaign hoping Dem-registered voters switch over for the primary. Interesting strategy, but I can't say he's wrong as far as it being his best hope for anything other than sputtering out at 2% of the vote.
He will still sputter out at 2% of the vote.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mustang posted:

I really don't see how Trump is going to win having already lost once to Biden and the GOP consistently underperforming in elections.

Unless uneducated white people really are that unhinged and just can't help themselves to vote for the guy a second time.

In addition to what everyone else said, regular people are struggling as the cost of living exploded and the government has done very little to help. And there's a chunk of Americans who punish the party in power when conditions get bad because there's no other way to register their displeasure in a two-party system.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Mustang posted:

I really don't see how Trump is going to win having already lost once to Biden and the GOP consistently underperforming in elections.

Unless uneducated white people really are that unhinged and just can't help themselves to vote for the guy a second time.

I can see it happening if Biden has a debilitating medical issue of some type and the Democrats put up Harris as the new nominee. She's very unpopular and ran a poor campaign when she was running for president.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Yep. Getting incredible RBG vibes from this and expecting it to end the same way.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

The graphic design is still making me angry that someone got paid for it .

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

BiggerBoat posted:

The graphic design is still making me angry that someone got paid for it .

I fear that today's mailers won't make you feel much better.

2024 GOP Primary: A lesson in Graphic design

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

They remind me of fireworks packages.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

They remind you of the 4th of July?
:patriot:

the other hand
Dec 14, 2003

43rd Heavy Artillery Brigade
"Ultima Ratio Liberalium"
*deleted. Way too far off topic

the other hand fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Oct 5, 2023

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

daslog posted:

I fear that today's mailers won't make you feel much better.

You were correct.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I mean, is there really any point to the whole primary at this point? Trump refuses to show up to the debates, no one will discuss the real news which is his n+1 criminal indictments, and he's gonna win handily.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Morrow posted:

I mean, is there really any point to the whole primary at this point? Trump refuses to show up to the debates, no one will discuss the real news which is his n+1 criminal indictments, and he's gonna win handily.

Most of the also-rans are betting on him landing in prisoner sooner rather than later and so need to keep the act up until that point, except Christie who seems to just want to throw molotovs at Trump.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Most of the also-rans are betting on him landing in prisoner sooner rather than later and so need to keep the act up until that point, except Christie who seems to just want to throw molotovs at Trump.

Also, one of them is hoping to catch fire somehow and change the race.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Captain_Maclaine posted:

In which case he runs as evil alt universe Debs from prison and gets we get Biden 51%,Trump 40%, Suit Loser 8% (no electoral votes)

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

daslog posted:

2024 GOP Primary: A lesson in Graphic design

It's working, though. She's polling 2nd in NH! The mailer game is real, y'all.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Mooseontheloose posted:

Also, one of them is hoping to catch fire somehow and change the race.

The only way any of these gormless assholes are going to do that is by impersonating a Buddhist monk

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

You're putting a ridiculous amount of faith in the fact that two of the oldest men ever to be president will survive to next November. Republicans are in much better shape to deal with that than Dems are, even if their options are all psychopaths

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

One year death probability for an 80 year old American male is 6.6%. 77 year old is 5%.

That doesn’t reflect current health or how well off they are, so both are probably better odds than that.

Source: https://www.ssa.gov/oact/STATS/table4c6.html

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
Yeah, like don't get me wrong they're old as gently caress and I'm not gonna downplay that, but Biden took a somewhat-nasty fall a few months ago and didn't seem any worse for wear afterwards. Yeah there's always the chance one of them just has a heart attack and keels over, but neither seem as fragile as their political opponents want them to be. I wouldn't call it ridiculous for thinking someone in their 80's is gonna make it at least another year.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Electing that 80 year old in one year for a four year term is ridiculous of course but I guess that’s what world we are in.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If the only thing you care about is getting a president with a (D) next to his name, and not his ability to do the job for four years, running an 80-year-old isn't that big a risk because there's only a small window where his death can screw you over. If he dies early enough you can still have a primary, if he dies after the Electoral College votes you have a VP, if he dies after the election but before the EC vote you can (with some coordination) pick someone else (though there is a risk of loving that up and throwing the election to the House), you're really only likely hosed if he dies right before the election, which is pretty unlikely. And even then, a dead candidate has won before! An unnecessary risk to be sure, but a very small one.

The RBG nonsense was just nuts, gambling an old woman wouldn't die any time in the next four years doesn't even compare.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

also biden and trump both have access to the best physicians money can buy
american healthcare is only poo poo if you're poor

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Relevant Tangent posted:

People always say things like this but in reality it doesn't matter at all. Mitch McConnell has access to the same doctors, but there's nothing they can do about his TIAs because he's too much of a fall risk to be on anticoagulants.

Biden is going to wake up confused in the middle of the night, slip on the way to the bathroom, break ribs and die of pneumonia. There will be nothing doctors can do.

Trump is going to have a stroke/heart attack because he's addicted to amphetamines and he has sleep apnea. There will be nothing doctors can do.

"Having the best physicians" is really great if you have a rare cancer, or you need some tumor cut out of your brain. but for both these guys they're (most likely) not on any complex medications. Biden probably wouldn't have survived the aneurism, sure, but trump has been relatively healthy his whole life and doesn't drink or smoke. Biggest bullet Trump dodged was neurosyphillis or HIV.

Both of these guys' tickets are punched, it's just a matter of time, and no amount of screens or extra scans or bloodwork is going to stop it. The thing that's going to kill you? You're doing it right now. posting on somethingawful

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I am aware of several people who have lived past their 80s.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Clarste posted:

I am aware of several people who have lived past their 80s.

Source?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

smackfu posted:

They remind me of fireworks packages.

They remind me more of the graphic warnings on Canadian cigarette packs. Bold colours, angry text, repugnant images.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Only one mailer today. Graphics are slightly less horrible than usual

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Relevant Tangent posted:

Not that, but Biden and Trump are both surrounded by trained professional bodyguards who do in fact check in on them at basically all times, if one of them starts to go down they are going to be getting treatment in a timeframe measured in seconds, they will be taken to a doctor asap and will not be waiting in any lines etc. While recovering they will be monitored for any turns for the worse and those will be dealt with as they arise.

Not saying they can't still keel over, but the fact of the matter is that they will get timely care which is honestly the most important bit.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

"Facts don't care about your feelings"*

*Unless those feelings support what we believe

PT6A posted:

They remind me more of the graphic warnings on Canadian cigarette packs. Bold colours, angry text, repugnant images.

Need some mailers that warn people the dangers of prematurely aging from voting Republican, with pictures of Stephen Miller, Steve Bannon, etc.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

VitalSigns posted:

If the only thing you care about is getting a president with a (D) next to his name, and not his ability to do the job for four years, running an 80-year-old isn't that big a risk because there's only a small window where his death can screw you over. If he dies early enough you can still have a primary, if he dies after the Electoral College votes you have a VP, if he dies after the election but before the EC vote you can (with some coordination) pick someone else (though there is a risk of loving that up and throwing the election to the House), you're really only likely hosed if he dies right before the election, which is pretty unlikely. And even then, a dead candidate has won before! An unnecessary risk to be sure, but a very small one.

The RBG nonsense was just nuts, gambling an old woman wouldn't die any time in the next four years doesn't even compare.

I mean, the thing with RBG wasn't her age. It was that she kept collecting different cancer diagnoses. When you've already had lung, colon, and pancreatic cancer by the time the race to replace Obama was beginning warm ups, it's a way less safe bet that you'll make it through the next Presidential term than either of the old guys currently running.

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

Gyges posted:

I mean, the thing with RBG wasn't her age. It was that she kept collecting different cancer diagnoses. When you've already had lung, colon, and pancreatic cancer by the time the race to replace Obama was beginning warm ups, it's a way less safe bet that you'll make it through the next Presidential term than either of the old guys currently running.

It's the pancreatic that really should have been the sign. That one doesn't gently caress around. The prognosis is typically very poor.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Just one today. I'm starting to lose track of how many of these I'm getting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Oh no, is the Vivek moment already over?

https://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/meetthepressblog/nikki-haley-rises-second-pair-early-state-gop-polls-rcna118886

quote:

In New Hampshire, according to a USA Today/Boston Globe/Suffolk University poll, Trump gets support from 49% of likely Republican primary voters, Haley gets 19%, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis gets 10%, former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie gets 6%, and entrepreneur Vivek Ramaswamy and Sen. Tim Scott, R-S.C., both get 4%.

In South Carolina, meanwhile, a Winthrop University poll has Trump at 51% among Republican voters, Haley at 17%, DeSantis at 12% and Scott at 6%.

Definitely suggestive of an effort by the NoTrumps vote to coalesce around Haley. More notable than Vivek fading away (which was entirely predictable) is Haley shooting past DeSantis.

How deep is his appetite for humiliation?