Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Stux posted:

escape what lol

people hate f2p bcos the entire buisness model is built off of exploiting people with poor impulse control and addictive personalities, which the games seek to trigger and push them to indulge in thru gambling mechanics. these also often end up introducing minors to gambling. the other part of it doesnt justify that at all, and the games make such an inordinate amount of money they could very easily not lean so heavily on trying to push people into unhealthy spending

Hi stux lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Hey stux whatys your gavorite online store platyform, stux?

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

mycot posted:

Yeah they're not making games F2P out of the goodness of their hearts. Whale Theory is important because it explains why it's objectively the most logical thing to bait whales instead of trying to cultivate a bunch of modest spenders, who don't even really exist because the majority of people are either leeches or whales.

That's why the prices in these things are always immediately unreasonable, it's not for the people to whom it's out of reach.

The prices on these things are pretty low though? I'm not an expert on these games but they are generally still microtransactions of $10 or less for a roll and they offer bundles of them (best value!) at higher price points. The way they ramp up the income on whales is by making the chance of getting the rarest stuff really low so you need to buy 10000 of these $10 transactions.

The low price point is just another form of exploitation. They could just as easily offer a 6* waifu for $100000 without all the rolls or lootboxes or whatever but they choose to market the $10 roll instead while showing you can totally get this 6*.

The major console makers only added a requirement for disclosure of odds a few years ago and that's when the US Congress and other major governments were getting involved.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

20% conversion to rate is an insanely good metric, most mobile game ceos would sacrifice their employee's firstborn child for that.
Normally conversion rates are around 2 to 3%.

Now in a really high budget game like genshin impact they're probably a little higher but still I doubt they're anywhere close to 20%.

Yeah if it’s 20% it has to be like “of all f2p players across all games, 20% have spent on anything at all”

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

koolkal posted:

The low price point is just another form of exploitation. They could just as easily offer a 6* waifu for $100000 without all the rolls or lootboxes or whatever but they choose to market the $10 roll instead while showing you can totally get this 6*.

They are selling the adrenaline/dopamine of random reinforcement at least as much as they’re selling the actual rare artifact.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://hard-drive.net/hd/list/until-the-dance-skin-sales-improve-the-firings-will-continue-we-interviewed-epic-games-ceo-tim-sweeney/

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

koolkal posted:

The prices on these things are pretty low though? I'm not an expert on these games but they are generally still microtransactions of $10 or less for a roll and they offer bundles of them (best value!) at higher price points. The way they ramp up the income on whales is by making the chance of getting the rarest stuff really low so you need to buy 10000 of these $10 transactions.

The major console makers only added a requirement for disclosure of odds a few years ago and that's when the US Congress and other major governments were getting involved.

It's not $10 though! For real gacha games like Granblue or Genshin buying 10 rolls is $30-50 dollars. Yes that's the absolute panic button option and there are cheaper and slower ways of getting characters, but the whale option is not a good deal at all and by design.

mycot fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 5, 2023

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
seems like The Expanse flopped, TWAU2 possibly cancelled for the second time? anyway, gently caress this industry https://twitter.com/jjonahjonahson/status/1709979363608039784

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Barry Convex posted:

seems like The Expanse flopped, TWAU2 possibly cancelled for the second time? anyway, gently caress this industry https://twitter.com/jjonahjonahson/status/1709979363608039784

Not really sure what this dudes point is. The company seems to be doing pretty bad so :shrug:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Barry Convex posted:

So telltale roise from the Ashes to only make... One game before they die off again?

And they didn't learn from the old business which is probably that movie/TV show licenses don't work very well and the success of the walking dead (season 1 at least) was mainly that it just worked so well by itself without the TV show.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
The expanse game came out??

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ineffiable posted:

So telltale roise from the Ashes to only make... One game before they die off again?

And they didn't learn from the old business which is probably that movie/TV show licenses don't work very well and the success of the walking dead (season 1 at least) was mainly that it just worked so well by itself without the TV show.

But if they had a union this wouldn’t have happened :confused:

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
As soon as they simultaneously announced The Expanse and TWAU2 I thought “oh okay, so they’ve learned nothing.”

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the walking dead was so, so poo poo post-season 1 that telltale deserved to die

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

External Organs posted:

The expanse game came out??

Lmao

quote:

It’s official, The Expanse: A Telltale Series Episode One launches July 27th for PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One and PC via Epic Games Store!

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Most people had no idea that Alan Wake Remaster and Kingdom Hearts is on PC, because why would anyone if its not on Steam?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

MarcusSA posted:

But if they had a union this wouldn’t have happened :confused:

Yeah, I'd need some clarification about what's going on here. It sucks a lot that Telltale is laying people off, but if they're laying people off because their games aren't selling and they aren't making money and the studio might be going under again that's not something that would really be remedied by a union(though, to be clear, the games industry should absolutely be unionized).

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

wasn't there a lot of really sketchy poo poo with how they closed the first time though?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I already thought The Wolf Among Us 2 was a bad idea because the comics are supposed to get extremely stupid and having to stick to Canon was probably going to be limiting past the initial idea of "fairy tales as an immigrant community in New York". I had no idea there was a Telltale Expanse game :psyduck:

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

wasn't there a lot of really sketchy poo poo with how they closed the first time though?

afaik (someone correct me if I'm wrong), the current Telltale Games is effectively a new company formed by some former employees who were able to acquire the company name and some of their assets. I don't think any of the management who drove the original company into the ground are at the current one... not that that seems to have saved them, though

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Barry Convex posted:

afaik (someone correct me if I'm wrong), the current Telltale Games is effectively a new company formed by some former employees who were able to acquire the company name and some of their assets. I don't think any of the management who drove the original company into the ground are at the current one... not that that seems to have saved them, though

I seemed to recall it was more "managers and the men at the top acquired the name and offered everyone the choice of returning to work with a cut or getting hosed", and not even to all the staff.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Ineffiable posted:

Some of the original Telltale people, from what I can tell, moved to Skybound or Bruner House; the latter released Star Trek: Resurgence in May. That game was also EGS exclusive on PC and it seemed to make no impact upon release.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Really can’t make this poo poo up

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

ErrEff posted:

Some of the original Telltale people, from what I can tell, moved to Skybound or Bruner House; the latter released Star Trek: Resurgence in May. That game was also EGS exclusive on PC and it seemed to make no impact upon release.

Fwiw I did buy Resurgence for Xbox and it is a good and fun game!

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

There’s also a very small team from former telltale that remastered Sam and max season 1 & 2 and is working on the third now. I really loved telltale’s stuff up thru season 1 of walking dead but after that I only really like parts of wolf among us and all of the borderlands game they did.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i think epic helped bring telltale back from the brink in some way, but it was indeed super messy regardless

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Telltale management drank their own Kool-aid and basically went on a spree grabbing every major, expensive IP until they bankrupted themselves by trying to make too many games too fast, also the games were getting notoriously poo poo in the last few years along with chronic tech/QA issues never getting resolved.

As mentioned, literally doing the exact same thing again as it rose from the ashes is a je ne sais quoi

Up until The Walking Dead made the cyoa adventure genre the hottest poo poo in gaming, TT was making some decent episodic games, Back to the Future and Jurassic Park being mediocre but not god awful. TWD was the exception that people thought was the norm. After that came, in the space of 5 years

Wolf Among US: bad rep from everyone 'figuring out' the case in episode 1 so there were rumors the plot was quickly rewritten mid game
TWDS2: The game they pretty much had to make
Tales from the Borderlands: kind of well received but not a lot of people clamoring for a BL themed game
Game of Thrones: know literally nothing about this and it came out near the peak of the franchise hype
Minecraft Story Mode: lol really?
Walking Dead Michonne: eh
Batman Telltale: something about "crowd play" to let your streaming audience make the game decisions, pretty mid reviews
TWD New Frontier: no idea
Guardians of the Galaxy
Minecraft Story Mode S2
Batman Enemy Within
Walking Dead Final Season: source of some weird fuckery, like getting cancelled before it finished

They were working on a Stranger Things game, a new Wolf, new GoT, etc.

Just an insane amount of stuff being pushed out super fast to capitalize on trends and popularity.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
They made a monkey island game somehow worse than escape lol

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The first Tales From The Borderlands is genuinely the best game made in that universe. Their Batman games were also great for the sheer balls they had in changing major parts of the Batman mythos, such as making Bruce and Martha Wayne corrupt as gently caress and in bed with the mob, Vicky Vale as a terrorist seeking revenge on the Waynes, Harley Quinn being a super villain BEFORE the Joker appears and having the Joker either be the one you know or a vigilante in his own right according to your actions.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Putting all their eggs in that Expanse game was kind of a weird bet

The Walking Dead and Tales from the Borderlands worked well because they mostly focused on wholly new characters

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

pumpinglemma posted:

If we’re talking about casualties of free-to-play technically-not-gambling bullshit, don’t forget literal children! Gotta get started on that habit early while their brains are still nice and malleable. And hey, if your mum and dad set up the payment controls on the tablet wrong, it’s like you’re not spending anything at all!
My kid is a school social worker, and fairly often they have to help a family whose child stole a credit card to buy Robux/whatever.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
There was someone in the Genshin Impact thread whose very young nephew used stolen credit cards to spend $500+ in the game. Their excuse was that they thought the game glitched out and was letting them roll even though they had no currency. While funny because the kid 100% knew what he was doing and got away with it, it's a little worrying in the grand scheme of things.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Putting all their eggs in that Expanse game was kind of a weird bet

The Walking Dead and Tales from the Borderlands worked well because they mostly focused on wholly new characters

TftB is legit the first time that setting actually felt like a place-one I even became interested in seeing what the hell was gonna happen in it- and not just somewhere built so you didn't have to feel bad shooting everyone you saw. Like, I can't think of a game series I'd otherwise been less interested in a lore dump on, which makes the fact that it has no less then two games dedicated to fleshing out some weird Myth Arc of the series in Pre-Sequel and 3 just feel like the dumbest waste of time.

I'm not a big Telltale fan. The only other game they made I both played and liked was Wolf Among Us, which folks tend to point at with TWDs1 as their absolute best work. But the goddamn writing miracle they had to pull off making a narrative game in the loving BORDERLANDS setting and actually tell a fun story to follow in it... just goddamn.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I had no idea gacha games were intentionally really expensive to prevent people from gambling if they can’t afford it/aren’t profitable customers. There’s not really any need for regulation if that’s the case, and the bad rep gacha games get seems totally unfair.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 5, 2023

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

Fruits of the sea posted:

I had no idea gacha games were intentionally really expensive to prevent people from gambling if they can’t afford it/aren’t profitable customers. There’s not really any need for regulation if that’s the case, and the bad rep gacha games get seems totally unfair.

T-this is the exact opposite reaction that you should be having to all of this. It's a system predicated on gambling addiction and marginal affordability means nothing to people with poor impulse control.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It was a joke lol. Everyone with a brain thinks gacha should be regulated but the US is regressing and gambling is more and more legal now for some stupid reason.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
the reason is that companies really like taking gamblers' money, and lawmakers really like taking companies' money

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Game of Thrones with the actual cast was announced the same time as Tales from the Borderlands, and it was something to see the former be one of their worst while Borderlands was one of their best

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Even outside of the gambling I despise the concept of creating a social environment where the majority of people essentially exist to be an audience for rich people to show off their wealth. This is not for you, but you get to exist in it as long as you serve the interests of the people who actually matter.

It's pretty gross and a sad reflection of the world we live in too.

To clarify, this is not an attack on anyone who has done FTP, just on the very unfortunate systems and incentive structures we find ourselves living in.

Phigs fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

https://twitter.com/telltalegames/status/1710068819702456828?s=46&t=vHCQymUfA8QgltN6y1_sjA