Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Muir posted:

Settled on my Leagues of Votann color scheme. Now to do the Kill Team first and the whole army eventually.

Please tell me you are going to use a bright neon pink as your spot color on visor lenses and such because this scheme owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I want to start up a custodes army so bad lol

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Infernal Master. Probably need to think of a couple of conversations as I might field more than one.

Primed a Rhino at the same time, sadly didn't go as well. I think Sigvald Burgundy is just a bit difficult on flat areas, very streaky. Might airbrushing it on help? Or just make it uneven differently?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Muir posted:

Done with re-doing the whole squad:

Happy overall. I think a bit too heavy-handed with the edge highlights but I'm out of practice on power armor. Any feedback is welcome.

Edit: the third guy from the left's chest scroll now reads "HULK" as he has been aptly named Brother Hogan by SuperKlaus.

Man, TBH I really like that first pic where they're all bright blue. The way I paint works best if you start 2-3 shades brighter than you want, so that super intense baby blue would work really well. What color is it?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

jadebullet posted:

Please tell me you are going to use a bright neon pink as your spot color on visor lenses and such because this scheme owns.

I was going to do a more standard red but now you're tempting me to go full synthwave with it.

EdsTeioh posted:

Man, TBH I really like that first pic where they're all bright blue. The way I paint works best if you start 2-3 shades brighter than you want, so that super intense baby blue would work really well. What color is it?

It's Pro Acryl Grey Blue.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
My first miniature in approximately 30 years. Absolutely poo poo at taking a good picture just yet. He has wings as well, but the pictures I took of it with the wings are worse than this one. Still, I'm not mad at it!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

BizarroAzrael posted:

Infernal Master. Probably need to think of a couple of conversations as I might field more than one.

the master of possession also has a flame theme, although he does not have the TSons-style armor

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

WIP for the Weirdboy I decided to make for fun:

The pipes didn’t quite get finished but it’s because I slipped with my knife and got cut deeply, so I decided it was good enough

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
finished my last battlemech

happy mech family

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDCpD8E5VOA

Interesting technique.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Trovarion has a bunch of videos using this technique as well. Here is one of them! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3WuVDn4-HM

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Mederlock posted:

Interesting technique.

huh, I never considered using sponge brushing as a replacement for the drybrush in drybrush speedpainting

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Crosspost from the BattleTech thread.

Painted up a binary of the Steel Wolves

I didn't think they warranted a full trinary.

My phone continues to do interesting things with colors. They're a reddish brown but the phone makes them look blood red. At least it didn't kill the jump jet effects.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Oct 7, 2023

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

need some weathering/painting advice for a sandy desert scheme.

i'm starting on a some necrons and i want them to be sandy and to use a nice green metallic paint i've got.

i've never tried to do sandy weathering before. I've put some homemade texture paint on them to give them an old rougher look, but I'm not sure how to proceed.

My current plan is to basecoat red-brown over my glossy black primer then try out applying the green metallic in layers with a sponge (cause that looks fun) then hit the whole thing with a pale sandy/tan oil wash to get the crevices and remove it with turpentine.
alternately i have a dark metallic blue i could use as a basecoat but i figure the reddy-brown will make a nice contrast with the green.

does anyone have any experience painting sandy/desert weathered schemes?
I'm not sure how the pale oilwash will come out since I usually use a darker shade to oil wash not a brighter one. the temptation is just to finish with streaking grime and do red earth instead but I've done that before and do wanna try out a sandy look this time.

e: some pics of the general scheme idea. i think i might prefer the simpler scheme but if anyone has advice on other colours to add that'd be nice too

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Oct 7, 2023

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Communist Thoughts posted:

does anyone have any experience painting sandy/desert weathered schemes?

I did a corroded necron that I was never really happy with, but I did desert weather it a bit.

It was basically just lightly dusting the lower parts with AK North Africa Dust

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Get some pigment powder* and work that in to crevices and all over the lower part of the figures.

* you can scrape pastels with the back of your hobby knife to make really cheap powders in however many colors the box you steal from your kids art supplies buy has.

Calhanol
Apr 27, 2010
Getting through my Imperial Assault Minis and have finished the second expansion. I recently got speedpaints thanks to my wife so will give them a try on the next expansion.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Started building a Clan Sea Fox force.

Tried to do this scheme -https://unitcolorcompendium.com/2019/04/05/spina-khanate/

https://imgur.com/a/PT6LyZC

The steel still looks a bit off to me if anyone has any suggestions.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Taking a break from my regular paint job for a bit, got some bits printed for a squad of Raptors with the old jump packs and did the test model up as a Night Lord to see how it looks. I like it, I think I'll do a full squad of 10. Got a little lazy on the lightning, but I was more concerned on seeing how the blue came out and how I like the red hands.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

just some large folks and their little friends

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Saint Celestine posted:

Started building a Clan Sea Fox force.

Tried to do this scheme -https://unitcolorcompendium.com/2019/04/05/spina-khanate/

https://imgur.com/a/PT6LyZC

The steel still looks a bit off to me if anyone has any suggestions.

I would say try gently drybrushing a silver metallic paint to brighten it up a little and emphasize the metallic texture of the parts.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Just finished up my Saboteur. She has one of my Jackal's heads instead of her regular one, her blast goggles are in place for a detonation. Lot happier with my Hybrid skintone this time and got to practice some Chitin too. She's a cool model but then again so are like 99% of the rest of the cult.

I have a Kelermorph cleaned and ready to prime but I'm actually going to build a vehicle next because these boxes are loving big

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Been plugging away at my new Grey Knights army to try to get ready for a tournament next weekend. 30 models painted, 16 to go, then I need to figure out basing. Gonna be tight!

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I painted a Howling Griffon for a contest my FLGS is running.
I should make a Kill Team, I love these guys so much. He's a little shiny, I should hit him with some varnish.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
I was having some frustrations with a project I was working on so I decided to paint a model I bought on ebay, an original chaos dwarf warrior.

I made some mistakes and didn't even try on the eyes but I'm happy with it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Lucinice posted:

I was having some frustrations with a project I was working on so I decided to paint a model I bought on ebay, an original chaos dwarf warrior.

:hellyeah: this guy owns

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Lucinice posted:

Did you see the video Duncan did?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Muir posted:

Settled on my Leagues of Votann color scheme. Now to do the Kill Team first and the whole army eventually.

First we crack the shell, then we crack the nut inside!

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

Professor Shark posted:

Did you see the video Duncan did?

Yeah, I also saw a video by a guy called "Anvil of Doom Miniatures" who also painted some classic Chorfs. I ended up using both vids as reference.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Nice! When I watched Duncan’s I thought that if I were to do it, I would try to drill out the blunderbuss barrel and smooth it out

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Never not drill barrels.

This can be difficult when you're making scatter terrain, but sometimes sacrifices must be made.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

grassy gnoll posted:

Never not drill barrels.

This can be difficult when you're making scatter terrain, but sometimes sacrifices must be made.

fluid dribbling out of bullet-riddled barrels is good practice for tinting splash gel (or modpodge or craft glue) though

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Lucinice posted:

If you want to paint more chorfs, get Fabelzel's designs, they are amazing.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

After a bit of a break I've managed to finish some minis.

A Supa-Stompa/Gargant for Epic, model by Vanguard.

Plus a handful of Vostroyans for my combat patrol

Plus a WIP shot of the Vostroyan Bombast I'm converting for the aforementioned combat patrol

Nothing glued down yet, everything will be painted in subassemblies too. Next step is sculpting though.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Sounding the Little Guy alert.

I got a pair of Hunters as compensation for needing to request replacements on some 3D prints, and they've been languishing primed on a shelf for a good 6 months. I'm trying to get back into painting with a healthier view on it, so I picked one of them and set a goal - one session start to finish, embrace any minor mistakes along the way, fix them if they're big and ugly. Hour and a half later (which is like... half of what a mini usually takes me, and a good third of which was just doing six or seven coats of Thunderhawk Blue to try and get it even), one of them's done minus varnish. There are obvious faults I can see that I'm doing my best to accept, but more important, it's a finished model to a decent standard, which is what I need more of in my life. I'm probably not repeating this scheme on the other Hunter because of what a pain Thunderhawk Blue was, but it was informative since I did have other minis planned with this combo that I now know to adjust.

Unfortunately it seems like my detail brush went to hell in storage somehow, 8404 that will barely even hold a point without fraying now. Not looking forward to needing another replacement for it so soon. But, realities of the hobby I guess.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Did Big Mr. Grumpy

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

Nice! When I watched Duncan’s I thought that if I were to do it, I would try to drill out the blunderbuss barrel and smooth it out
I feel like drilling a centred guide hole then spinning a hobby blade around a while would get you pretty close.

My favourite white Dwarf battle report as a youngun was the one where the dwarves had to hold a narrow pass vs a chaos Dwarf horde. Even if it was super anticlimactic with the Chorf sorcerer soloing halve the Dwarf army with Curse of Years. I'm guessing original chorfs go for big bucks on ebay these days?

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Did Big Mr. Grumpy

Amazing!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

SkyeAuroline posted:

Sounding the Little Guy alert.

I got a pair of Hunters as compensation for needing to request replacements on some 3D prints, and they've been languishing primed on a shelf for a good 6 months. I'm trying to get back into painting with a healthier view on it, so I picked one of them and set a goal - one session start to finish, embrace any minor mistakes along the way, fix them if they're big and ugly. Hour and a half later (which is like... half of what a mini usually takes me, and a good third of which was just doing six or seven coats of Thunderhawk Blue to try and get it even), one of them's done minus varnish. There are obvious faults I can see that I'm doing my best to accept, but more important, it's a finished model to a decent standard, which is what I need more of in my life. I'm probably not repeating this scheme on the other Hunter because of what a pain Thunderhawk Blue was, but it was informative since I did have other minis planned with this combo that I now know to adjust.

Unfortunately it seems like my detail brush went to hell in storage somehow, 8404 that will barely even hold a point without fraying now. Not looking forward to needing another replacement for it so soon. But, realities of the hobby I guess.

These are cool, nice! Reminds me of my micromachines from long ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Crossposting from the 40k thread
I have completed my Celestial Lions Chapter Master. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. It's the first model I've completed in a while.