Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Like 3 weeks ago I bought some aluminum coolant inlet flange as Reddit had convinced me that's a guaranteed failure on these cars, but I've been delaying attempting to do it myself and instead just driving around paranoid it's going to blown up 🙃

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We average about 30mph in the car which over 30k miles comes out to... 1000 hours? almost 90 45 days continuous run time if you count time stopped at red lights and drive throughs etc. Half a gallon evap in 1000 hrs in a crowded engine bay with dual stage turbo/intercooler system with a billion little connectors seems pretty reasonable. Probably you don't see this with new cars during the warranty period because the dealer is topping off your fluids every time it comes in

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Leaks in the BMW thread?!? Unbelievable!

BMW notified me that I have the leaks. Next time just tell me that my car exists. Dealership wants $3700 to fix 2 gaskets on my 14 year old car.

I replaced the valve cover gasket probably 2 years ago.

TL:DR BMW continues to deliver superior German adhesives. And gaskets.

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 5, 2023

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Sab669 posted:

Like 3 weeks ago I bought some aluminum coolant inlet flange as Reddit had convinced me that's a guaranteed failure on these cars, but I've been delaying attempting to do it myself and instead just driving around paranoid it's going to blown up 🙃

On N54 powerplant, after typical use, indeed the plastic coolant inlet fitting will crumble upon handling. Was helping a friend on their E61 do some maintenance and we found out just how brittle they become. I replaced the fitting on my E61 with aluminum component when replacing the coolant pump.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I mean, when I brought my 335 to VAC for suspension work, the dude was amazed I made it there, my charge pipe was being held on by hopes and dreams. Superior German plastic!

I also totally had an Evolution Raceworks metal one in the trunk I bought a few years prior, and just straight up asked to have it installed and added to the bill. A+ would pay VAC again. Not sure about the drive there, but they're great.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

ThirstyBuck posted:

Leaks in the BMW thread?!? Unbelievable!

BMW notified me that I have the leaks. Next time just tell me that my car exists. Dealership wants $3700 to fix 2 gaskets on my 14 year old car.

I replaced the valve cover gasket probably 2 years ago.

TL:DR BMW continues to deliver superior German adhesives. And gaskets.

I replaced my valve cover and VCG this year and it's leaking again... That's probably partly my fault though!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I've never heard of the "TI" designation before, but this Lila Metallic color owns:

via C&B

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i've never seen that color before. the 318ti was a cool li'l car imo

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

ti was their hatchback yeah, good bit shorter than the rest of E36’s. Never seen that color before that is wild. Also that someone spent all the money on bmw individual on their loving econo box, the ti was supposed to be bottom range shitbox tier but at least still rwd

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
they're kinda z3s or e30s underneath but have their own unique interior parts that all fall apart. my brother got one as his high school car, drove it for 20 years through multiple accidents, motor replacement, interior falling apart. i drove it from ca to ia, fixed a bunch of problems, fixed a bunch of interior problems with unique quality fixes or 3dp parts, sold it to a friend who drove it to ny and dailies it, re-lowered it, tracks it.

they're good fun

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i really hated the e36 for a long time, the e30 is a tough act to follow (plus the us got the bad m3 motor, bmw did not yet trust us with ITBs)

but the e36 body style has really grown on me, they look great now imo

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
If driving around waiting for some catastrophic failure because you read about it on the internet isn't the most BMW ownership experience I don't know what is.

Ask me if I've done my s54 VANOS overhaul yet

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Popete posted:

If driving around waiting for some catastrophic failure because you read about it on the internet isn't the most BMW ownership experience I don't know what is.

Ask me if I've done my s54 VANOS overhaul yet

you don't even need to have read about it. you can just have the existential dread about non-specific problems that you know are bound to exist.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I have an n52 in my bmw.

I was thinking about driving it to work today.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

My 2007 525D E60 with it's 3.0 L M57 straight 6 diesel engine is reaching 160k miles shortly.

I have yet to have any actual engine problems in the 30k miles of ownership I've had it for for the last 2 years! Quite pleased, it's a reliable old girl.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Elite Taco posted:

I have an n52 in my bmw.

I was thinking about driving it to work today.

You’re thinking about driving it. When was the electric water pump replaced? Your oil pan gasket is leaking :D

I went to my first BMW CCA HPDE event this weekend. I found this perfect BMW verbiage on the tech form.

I got to go out in a E30 M3. I’ve never said anything positive about a 4 cylinder’s tone before but the S14 from 4-7k rpm’s was glorious ear music.

E: is there a two image limit when mobile posting?

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 16, 2023

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

BMWs may have a small leak, as a treat

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

PCA's forms say the same thing. Just ~~~German Car Things~~~

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

ThirstyBuck posted:

You’re thinking about driving it. When was the electric water pump replaced? Your oil pan gasket is leaking :D

I went to my first BMW CCA HPDE event this weekend. I found this perfect BMW verbiage on the tech form.

I got to go out in a E30 M3. I’ve never said anything positive about a 4 cylinder’s tone before but the S14 from 4-7k rpm’s was glorious ear music.

Water pump and tstat replaced a bit over a year ago. I do believe we posted about it ITT. As for the leaks, if it ain’t leakin it ain’t got oil!

That E30 looks like a hoot hell yeah man

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

ThirstyBuck posted:

Thanks for the reminder :argh: 95k mi on the original pump, and yes.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

TheBacon posted:

That E30 looks like a hoot hell yeah man

My instructor’s M2C was ferocious. It is probably the fastest car I have ever been in. Torque everywhere.

I’ll take advantage of a new post for more pics.

My old pile.

E: have 107 on my pump. :shepspends:

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 16, 2023

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

White is a great bmw color :hai:

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

After a couple rounds on the skid pad I joked that I had an Alpine Grey E36.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I now feel like a true BMW owner because I went and did the semi-annual shaken inspection and other needed wear/maintenance work done by the dealer I bought the car CPO from, and holy poo poo, the smoking crater in my wallet.

Meanwhile my dad went and bought an F36 440i M Sport because the United States hates wagons. Sounds like the E39 540i he has will be making way from January or so.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
G'day BMW thread, I'm back after flirting with the idea for a good while and am happy to report I've picked up a 2019 330i G20 with 20k miles on it.

After diving into Bimmer I'm halfway convinced I should pick up some aftermarket tires to replace the run flats and improve the ride with the sport suspension.

Opinions? I'm keenly aware of the lack of a spare tire which is a new one for me.

The preffered option seems to be Michelin Pilot Sport 4S'

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Dipped left headlight failure for 2 days.
Bulb out? Yes. It's out.
Take it to mechanic yesterday morning.
Mechanic: Um it's working.
Me: What, it was moaning at me last night!
Mechanic: We have a saying here, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Me: Ugh, I don't want it to give me that stupid warning again.
Mechanic: We can replace the bulb if you like.
Me: Yes, lets.

£10, worth it to potentially not get annoyed by that warning / lose 1 dipped headlight randomly.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Abongination posted:

G'day BMW thread, I'm back after flirting with the idea for a good while and am happy to report I've picked up a 2019 330i G20 with 20k miles on it.

After diving into Bimmer I'm halfway convinced I should pick up some aftermarket tires to replace the run flats and improve the ride with the sport suspension.

Opinions? I'm keenly aware of the lack of a spare tire which is a new one for me.

The preffered option seems to be Michelin Pilot Sport 4S'

Ditch the run flats and get some kind of roadside assistance. In the US that’s typically AAA for about $100 a year.

The PS4S is a great tire assuming you never see temps below 40F. Continental DWS and Michelin A/S4 are good too.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Ditch the run flats and get some kind of roadside assistance. In the US that’s typically AAA for about $100 a year.

The PS4S is a great tire assuming you never see temps below 40F. Continental DWS and Michelin A/S4 are good too.

This is exactly the same sentiment I share with opinions of tire choices. I use PS4S on my M3 which only gets driven during "fair" weather and gets winterized.

In Just BMW ThingsTM I finally have come to the point that my battery needed changing. I have dutifully kept it on a battery tender whenever I find myself not driving it in two or three days. Last month when I was on my way home from work I stopped at a grocery store close to my office. When I started the car to leave it chugged and gave me a scare that it was not going to start. I took it home, parked it and ordered a battery right then. I called BMW and they told me a price of $444. FCP Euro has the Odyssey Red Top for $300 shipped. So I went that route.

This battery is huge. I was not expecting a 70 pound battery be tucked away into the depths of the trunk.

The five pound sack to hold ten pounds worth of garbage.

Respect to the original battery, made the 23rd week of 2010. Over 13 years old is unbelievably impressive.

The car has still sat because my friend that runs a shop because our schedules have not been able to sync up yet and he has the beep boops that will be able to register the battery.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I think you can do it with Carly BMW now but I'm not 100% on that.

13 years is pretty impressive. Mine need replacing about every 4-5 years.

It's crazy how the dying battery causes so many weird effects in these cars, my seatbelt-handerer was all out of whack the last time mine was near the end, and it also gives all sorts of weird ABS failure warnings even when driving, which should not be affected by a dying battery at that point. But it is!

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
yeah, Carly is/was better with E90, Bimmerlink is/was better with F/G series. Unsure if that delineation is still true, but I used Bimmerlink for my F30 and it was pretty easy. The F30 lasted 8+ years, and I did it somewhat proactively because it wasn't getting driven every day.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
My f80’s battery has to be getting near the end of life. Pushing 9 years old at this point. They are not cheap to replace. I need to get the special trickle charger for it this year to keep it healthy for as long as possible.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

The f80 uses a Li-ion battery that might very well significantly outlast a normal lead-acid life expectancy.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

SlapActionJackson posted:

The f80 uses a Li-ion battery that might very well significantly outlast a normal lead-acid life expectancy.

Yeah, I believe they're designed to last 10 years. Replacements are also somewhere around $1k. Or they were. Haven't looked in a while. So probably $1500 now.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
More winter tire questions

After exhaustive research it seems since my 440 has the m-sport package with larger break calipers I’m locked into 19” wheels. I also have the two different sized tires in the front and back further shrinking my tie options, my options seem to be.

1) buy a set of winter tires and wheels and swap back and forth between the sport tires

2) replace my summer tires with all seasons and rely on the awd

Option 2 would be $800 less but I would basically be tossing the two new front tires I got in July after a pothole wrecked one of the fronts. Most of my driving is on garbage roads in and around Boston so its not like ill ever take the car on a race track. However I assume the all seasons would handle worse for the few occasions I can go quick.

Any thoughts?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
What year 440, and what brake package? If it's the blue calipers that are SN2H, 18's are fine.

Edit: If you're buying new, you should be able to do 225/45/18 on all four and be fine, you don't need to pay more for staggered winters.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

If you’re not opposed to used Facebook and Craigslist are ripe with winter sets of wheels and tries for BMWs.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Shrieking Muppet posted:

More winter tire questions

After exhaustive research it seems since my 440 has the m-sport package with larger break calipers I’m locked into 19” wheels. I also have the two different sized tires in the front and back further shrinking my tie options, my options seem to be.

1) buy a set of winter tires and wheels and swap back and forth between the sport tires

2) replace my summer tires with all seasons and rely on the awd

Option 2 would be $800 less but I would basically be tossing the two new front tires I got in July after a pothole wrecked one of the fronts. Most of my driving is on garbage roads in and around Boston so its not like ill ever take the car on a race track. However I assume the all seasons would handle worse for the few occasions I can go quick.

Any thoughts?

buy winter tires because you want summer tires in the summer imo. although when you got new front tires are these lovely runflats? if you bought lovely runflats throw them in the trash anyway.

you could then do something like an A/S4 or the Continental ExtremeContact (former DWS) and probably be fine for winters here.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
I have the conti extremecontacts (or dws or whatever they used to be called) on my m5 because the winters are maybe into the 30s a couple times and we might get some snow once or twice a season, they're great imo

Fuller9x
Feb 15, 2005

Gimme Milk

Alarbus posted:

What year 440, and what brake package? If it's the blue calipers that are SN2H, 18's are fine.

Edit: If you're buying new, you should be able to do 225/45/18 on all four and be fine, you don't need to pay more for staggered winters.

Exactly this. I have the 2020 M340 with the staggered 19' Summers and just switched over to my winter set of 225/45/18's in a square setup. The big thing was getting rims that could clear the sport brakes. After that, it's 30 minutes thanksgiving and a weekend in spring to swap them over myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Alarbus posted:

2018, M-Sport with red calipers, was going to get the same all across if I did the new tires + wheels.

https://www.mdecoder.com/decode/wba4z7c59jed47371

ThirstyBuck posted:

If you’re not opposed to used Facebook and Craigslist are ripe with winter sets of wheels and tries for BMWs.

Not opposed but have had little luck finding winter tires that would clear the calipers.