Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
In my run I was on the wrong side of the death laser, decided to run through it to minimize my time which means I ran right into the black hole. Along with about five other party members.

I was a tank, but a healer lb3 about a minute later got us back on track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Definitely got caught by that mechanic after I thought I was safe from the death laser.

The hitbox is *just* large enough compared to the graphic to get people. On my first run it got half our party. The tank/healer half.

Somehow we recovered.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Oh sorry lol

The image itself is a reference to Super Mario Galaxy where instead of death chasms you have black holes. I'm assuming the picture itself comes from The Nostalgia Critic's review of the game.

Definitely got caught by that mechanic after I thought I was safe from the death laser.

In my first run, everyone died but me and one of the healers I think and I managed to live tanking the boss until we recovered. So I was thinking dang I am the best at this game I used all my cooldowns I am a very stable genius. And then shortly after that I got sucked into the blackhole trying to greed a communio cast.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 5, 2023

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Black Hole responds a bit uniquely with with Rescue.

If you use it, it animates, but nothing happens and it doesn't go on cooldown. This is different from other effects where the ability goes on cooldown but the target dodges or is immune to it.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
Apparently nothing can escape a black hole.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

using rescue on someone in the black hole should pull the healer into the black hole

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
I managed to dodge the black hole effect but every time it was a squeaker cause I kept expecting it to stop a bit short of where it does.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I died to the black hole because I was too distracted by the smooth animation of zeromus firing the beam

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I think it's neat to die to the black hole at least once personally. It's a cool unique effect.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I died to the laser and then my body got dragged into the hole

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

FuturePastNow posted:

using rescue on someone in the black hole should pull the healer into the black hole

Make this happen yoship

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Valentin posted:

There is such an NPC, but I'm not sure it's intended to be the same person as the NPC in question is a man and kind of an rear end in a top hat, and the fruit he makes is largely inedible. Plausibly it's just an obvious-ish writing beat (Ancient who grows fruit by hand rather than using creation magic!) that got used two ways, possibly by different writers. Interesting contrast to the other ways in which the writing is clearly keenly aware of the Elpis sidequests.

I wouldn't be shocked if it was, they've showed us that the gods have increasingly diverged from the people they were created from. It would be sorta funny if a cranky plant scientist dude evolved into a harvest goddess with big nattys over the years because that's just how people envisioned a god of the harvest.

Actually has anyone gone around and tried to match up all the 12 to NPCs yet? There are some NPCs people had matched up before this patch in Elpis IIRC, and given how many hints they gave to their identities at the end I wouldn't be surprised if we could find them all as easter eggs

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I thought Nophica was explicitly a landscape architect? So not the Chthonic Horns guy, but possibly acquainted with him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chomposaur posted:

I wouldn't be shocked if it was, they've showed us that the gods have increasingly diverged from the people they were created from. It would be sorta funny if a cranky plant scientist dude evolved into a harvest goddess with big nattys over the years because that's just how people envisioned a god of the harvest.

Actually has anyone gone around and tried to match up all the 12 to NPCs yet? There are some NPCs people had matched up before this patch in Elpis IIRC, and given how many hints they gave to their identities at the end I wouldn't be surprised if we could find them all as easter eggs

The two from Elpis were pretty clearly identified but the rest aren't from places you can visit really.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hogama posted:

I think it's neat to die to the black hole at least once personally. It's a cool unique effect.

It's kind of funny tbh

10/10 mechanic

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I died to the Black Hole, wrote "note to self: don't get eaten by the void orb" in party chat, and then died again to the next Black Hole

No comms, but improv comedy is a harsh gig

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Just did the Extreme and it was surprisingly vibesable. We died what felt like ten or more times and I personally (as, to be fair, a tank) had like 4 vuln stacks and two DoTs by the end and I was still basically fine (though we had really good healers).

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Chomposaur posted:

Orschon is just "a dude Venat met in the woods" so I don't think he's going to be in the elite research lab.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Veev posted:

Orschon is just "a dude Venat met in the woods" so I don't think he's going to be in the elite research lab.

Was I the only one who thought of that comic where Venat meets Azem about to cook with Dynamite before giving them the seat when Deryk brought that up?

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Veev posted:

Oschon was "dude Venat smoked weed and chatted poo poo with" and you know what, that's valid.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
My only comment about the reveal about Zero in the MSQ.

I'm choosing to headcanon that her original name before the Void happened was Cecilia. Anyone else?

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

BlazetheInferno posted:

I'm choosing to headcanon that her original name before the Void happened was Cecilia. Anyone else?

Seconded. I was really surprised they didn't drop an original name.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

BlazetheInferno posted:

Yeah I feel like this is nailed on true to the extent that if they just casually put it in a lorebook it wouldn't surprise me.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Chomposaur posted:

It's not possible; only two of them were actually in a place we talked to people in, at least one was conformably somewhere we've never heard of, and two were wandering vagrants. The most plausible angle is to try to watch the Anamnesis scene and pick out people among the spoken lines.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

So what was the point of hiding Golbez's face? The original Golbez that is. They deliberately kept it hidden after Durante knocked his helmet off, so I was thinking it would be some big twist, but then nothing came of it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Fister Roboto posted:

So what was the point of hiding Golbez's face? The original Golbez that is. They deliberately kept it hidden after Durante knocked his helmet off, so I was thinking it would be some big twist, but then nothing came of it.

I think "he's a nonstandard body so giving him a Hume face would look weird" is the most likely answer.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

og golbie's a shard of azem

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Anyone up for some mah jong?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I figured the point was it just doesn't matter what Golbez's face looks like

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Guys, he turned into a monster; he doesn't have a normal face.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah, like, even if you showed it, if he's just some random guy it would be completely extraneous and also people would speculate about it forever.

People are still gonna speculate about it forever, don't get me wrong, but at least this way they haven't done anything to signpost that it might actually be important in any way

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Fister Roboto posted:

I think personally they're trying not to make what he looks like clear for the same reason Azem is never given a clear appearance except "Looks like you, the WoL according to people who know Azem" and even that is people who can explicitly see Azem's soul and nobody else really notes a visual similarity.

If they made it so Golbez just looked like you that would potentially be very goofy (Lalafel for example) if they made Golbez look like a specific appearance that might be weird if they ever do make it explicit Golbez is another Azem Shard like Ardbert was.

Personally the only thing I think they should've done is gendered Golbez the way Azem is gendered in English (since I don't know how other languages do it). Which is that original Golbez's pronouns should match the Warrior of Light Player Character. But doing that would potentially spoil any "Golbez is an Azem Shard" reveal they want to make (since people are keyed in on the Azem Pronouns thing to begin with) and make the actual reveal that the Golbez we know and have been fighting was Durante the whole time a little more obvious (not that anyone was surprised by it). If they intend for Golbez to be an Azem shard (and that might not be true).

Blockhouse posted:

This is also plausibly true, I just think the effort to hide his face the way they did is a bit much instead of just making a head for him. Since they do a bunch of clever shots to hide it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If he looked like the Warrior of Light presumably someone would have, you know, reacted to that

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

We were also reliving a 10000 year old memory trapped in a crystal, so there were bound to be some glitches in the matrix. I think the implication may be that the characters present, not just you the player, didn't see his face because that information wasn't there in the memory.

Also there's no reason for them to hide the face of any random Azem shard, because we already know what one of them looked like, and Ardbert doesn't look anything like you unless you chose the most boring character creation options

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 6, 2023

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

FuturePastNow posted:

We were also reliving a 10000 year old memory trapped in a crystal, so there were bound to be some glitches in the matrix. I think the implication may be that the characters present, not just you the player, didn't see his face because that information wasn't there in the memory.

I buy this given that it's a first-person memory, and presumably OG Golbez didn't actually know what he looked like post-monster-transformation, unless he had time to duck off and check a mirror mid-fight

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Bruceski posted:

I think "he's a nonstandard body so giving him a Hume face would look weird" is the most likely answer.

Blockhouse posted:

Rand Brittain posted:

Guys, he turned into a monster; he doesn't have a normal face.

I think it's all three of these together. It would be a tangible amount of effort to make Golbez a face, for literally no gain because Golbez's face doesn't even matter to the one guy in the scene that even knew Golbez in the first place.

Golbez is more icon than man anyway; why do we need to see his face? That's just an audience voyeurism for semantics, demanding that we should see something in detail not because it's important but because it's there.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Blockhouse posted:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

[the rock showing up out of nowhere] "IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT HIS FACE LOOKS LIKE!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Whilst yes, his face doesn't super matter in the context of the story, there's a lot of other little parts that imply a connection beyond just the weird not-showing face bit.

Nothing to confirm it, but there's a lot of little bits throughout (not least of which is the fact that Durante literally sees you as Golbez in the memories in question and that you resonate with the crystal at all, which could be an Echo thing but usually people don't get to see your Echo visions so whatever is happening with the crystal is not just an Echo vision but a full on recreation of memories that more than just you can see since the NPC party members see it too).

Also First Person Echo Visions aren't particularly common, to the point that I actually struggle to think of one prior to Golbez.