Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Hwurmp posted:

Lloyd said "hurdle" instead of "barrier"

absolute garbage

don't worry he still says barrier a ton

Last Celebration posted:

I thought “barrier” was specifically a Zero thing because the barriers of political/societal corruption enabled by Erebonia/Calvard all but openly supporting the mafias and their pissing match between each other.

it's originally that but that was just the tip of the iceberg so it kinda continued afterward. It's Lloyd's big go to Thing on pre-mission speeches. Also sometimes the barrier is a literal barrier.

frajaq posted:

I have to say some moments and Lloyd himself can be way too cheesy but this sequence almost got me to tears :yaycloud:

for better or worse cheesiness is this series' wheelhouse. and yes that whole sequence is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Oh, I don’t remember him saying it a ton in Azure but that’s probably at least partly because it felt forced in Zero as a rare bit of inorganic dialogue from an otherwise fantastic localization, which like, that’s fair when the main battle theme is called Get Over The Barrier and you include the option to see the name of the track for every battle transition so I can’t blame them.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

reverie postgame end:

ohhhh look who got punished for immediately throwing away the ultimate sword i made for him yet again

look at that broken handle and think about what you've done

e: also wait is pulling weapons out of nowhere actually weird and not something anyone in zemuria does???

e2:

Last Celebration posted:

Oh, I don’t remember him saying it a ton in Azure but that’s probably at least partly because it felt forced in Zero as a rare bit of inorganic dialogue from an otherwise fantastic localization, which like, that’s fair when the main battle theme is called Get Over The Barrier and you include the option to see the name of the track for every battle transition so I can’t blame them.

when he's making a Big Speech you can pretty sure barriers are gonna come up, he doesn't go on about it non-stop or anything

thinking about it i think other people say that in relation to him more than he himself does

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 4, 2023

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

drat, spending so much time in the 2nd stage of the tower in reverie. I suck at pom pom tetrix. the card game is alrite.
the daydreams stuff is an interesting way to pad out the story on side events that don't directly land on the current main story.

did the one with Millium. lol @ her line delivery about the big boobies she's waiting for. Just stay the way you are Millium.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Maple says "Young Rean" instead of "Reanie"

will we ever have relief

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

Hwurmp posted:

will we ever have relief

Unplayable garbage right here folks

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Young Rean sounds like a mumble rapper

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yinlock posted:

don't worry he still says barrier a ton

Is it just me, or does he say this even more in CS4/Reverie?

Like it basically becomes almost a verbal tic, where he throws it into nearly every conversation that he participates in.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

Is it just me, or does he say this even more in CS4/Reverie?

Like it basically becomes almost a verbal tic, where he throws it into nearly every conversation that he participates in.

a lot of cs4's dialogue kinda vanished into a haze for me so I'm not sure. all i really remember is the really bad stuff, the really good stuff, and patiry's mall employment adventure

reverie at least openly calls out that lloyd was acting kinda weird

Hwurmp posted:

will we ever have relief

yeah reverie was made on a budget and nisa felt like hiring an editor was too rich for their blood

90% of the time it's fine, 10% of the time it's Not Great. it sucks but it's not a pre-patch ys8 situation where the localization is just complete nonsense

e: the main bad ones are cross crusade's description being straight-up wrong and the consistent use of "upgraded by" for craft upgrade rewards which drives me insane

e2: also frozen epoch says it buffs everyone for some reason.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Oct 5, 2023

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
One of the ones I noticed most was the one in several craft descriptions that mentioned "HP Absorb" when it was actually "HP Regen".

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Erpy posted:

One of the ones I noticed most was the one in several craft descriptions that mentioned "HP Absorb" when it was actually "HP Regen".

oh yeah hp regen is called hp absorb consistently but i thought that was a weird trailsism i forgot or something

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
The weirdest one to me is still Laura's Area+ (L) on her self buff because I have absolutely no idea how it got there.

Also Lost Arts are just consistently wrong about what they do - I seem to recall there was another one that was completely incorrect.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

there's one guy with a sword move with a area L, but when I use it, its just a single target.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT0GiPhMjPI

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

why do S-Crafts not 1-shot normal monsters anymore

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Power creep

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Hwurmp posted:

why do S-Crafts not 1-shot normal monsters anymore

because you're facing level 100+ monsters with a loadout of jack all

also high level trails always gets Weird after a certain point

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

the qualifications for the bus drivers just keep getting higher and higher

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Trails Character Accept Praise For Your Accomplishment Challenge (Impossible)

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

i think the one type of stat that I don't really use much or forget about is the spd stat.
i don't really use any of the speed up buffs or debuff spells

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

GateOfD posted:

i think the one type of stat that I don't really use much or forget about is the spd stat.
i don't really use any of the speed up buffs or debuff spells

they help in early nightmare(where enemies are still balanced around action 2/3s and so just run circles around your guys who largely forgot to even bring 1s) and some bosses but yeah largely speed isn't an issue. lategame gives you a lot of wacky speed equips and postgame gives you so much that it's fairly trivial to break 160

for lols peek into abyss where bosses have 300+ spd and can get out of stun, charge a skill, execute that skill, then hit you again before you get a turn. extremely balanced. i didn't have it on usually but peeked in for the occasional bout of screwin' around

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
So what you're all saying is that I made the right choice to play the game with the translation patch instead of waiting for NISA

I can't wait to hear what they screw up with Daybreak!

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I like how this game also has a Vice-Something that is an unpleasant fellow

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Ys IX was finally on a decent sale, so I picked it up but I'm not really feeling it after 2 hours. There's way too much blahblahblah between gameplay segments but next to zero chemistry among the cast, and the moral of the first arc after the prologue was "if you give the poor welfare after taking everything from them and polluting their home, it will only make them lazy".

Does it get better?

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008
the first big arc is the nadir for a lot of the game but it doesnt get a ton better apart from shifting away from the overt politics angle; if you like actually running around and doing fights you'll get plenty of it but the environment and story never really improve much imo

Sweetgrass fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 5, 2023

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Running around got a lot better after I got White Cat, so I guess I'll stick with it for another few hours and see if it hooks me. My main hope is that the later dungeons make good use of the different powers you presumably get from the other members of chuuni lady's merry band of unwilling and disinterested compatriots/hostages.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I dunno man I find the 9 crew not being immediate buddy buddy and having some tension/discord more dramatically interesting than if they were all friendly and jovial and A Team from moment one

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The dungeons are fun in 9 and I do like moving around the city but my main issue either 9 is the city is the main set piece so you don't have a lot of the exploring and fighting I really love in Ys. Heck there probably is a really awesome version of the movement in 9 if they made more exploration areas making use of those powers

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

yeah the verticality is neat but they don't really do much with it past the first dungeon or two

that one vertical waterway dungeon is neat tho

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Exploring an island is simply much cooler than exploring a city.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

So what you're all saying is that I made the right choice to play the game with the translation patch instead of waiting for NISA

I can't wait to hear what they screw up with Daybreak!

nah a patch still isn't gonna be as good localization wise

then again a patch probably won't lie to you about what arts do, so i guess it's a tradeoff???

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Exploring an island is simply much cooler than exploring a city.

plus the Ys Music doesn't start actually kicking in until you leave the city

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Sweetgrass posted:

the first big arc is the nadir for a lot of the game but it doesnt get a ton better apart from shifting away from the overt politics angle; if you like actually running around and doing fights you'll get plenty of it but the environment and story never really improve much imo

anything is a fairly large improvement from the white cat arc imo

weirdly [white cat, nothing else]they have npcs talking about how they don't want to work themselves to death just for the privledge of existing so it's not like they're unaware of that part, the moral is just "yeah but do it though" for some reason. the ol' falcom swerve. someday you'll be able to admit that ceos may in fact be bad, i believe in you

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I don't think the people in falcom are secretly fascists IMO they just occasionally don't think things through

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

why is there a gacha in the hyperbolic time chamber

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Junpei posted:

I don't think the people in falcom are secretly fascists IMO they just occasionally don't think things through
yeah the white cat thing is clearly just 'the theme is inverted fairy tales, what if robin hood wasnt doing the right thing' and then no further thought was given to it

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Hwurmp posted:

why is there a gacha in the hyperbolic time chamber

It's just what they decided to do. Don't worry, there's nothing missable in the gacha, just a ton of extra stuff.

You can get extra copies of top tier quartz and accessories and also U-Materials (you will need thousands)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Team C has a very good dynamic

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Hwurmp posted:

Team C has a very good dynamic

they have a rough start battle-wise though

especially poor swin who was made for crit damage+ but instead starts with time skuld

otoh nadia starts with everything she needs and is an insanely good caster. but also everything in their first dungeon is weak to earth and time rather than fire so lol

e:

Some Numbers posted:

It's just what they decided to do. Don't worry, there's nothing missable in the gacha, just a ton of extra stuff.

You can get extra copies of top tier quartz and accessories and also U-Materials (you will need thousands)

yeah upgrading quartz via custom is generally better than making them wholesale. u-mats are always in demand just for that, especially with fish no longer giving quartz for the most part.

the Action 3 Fish still exists but shows up super late

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Oct 6, 2023

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I almost wish the game tracked the total amount of U-Materials used throughout the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Looking at the Daybreak OST, and it seems like almost all of my favorite tracks are by Shuntaro Koguchi (who apparently only joined Falcom relatively recently, which makes sense since his tracks have a very different feel to them, but in a good way). It's uncanny how consistently all my favorite tracks seem to be by him, at least assuming the composers listed on the Youtube tracks I'm looking at are correct. Probably the biggest strength of the Daybreak OST is its "mood/environment" tracks, which are just really great at giving the game a distinct feeling. Its battle tracks are kind of mediocre IMO, though there are a few stand-outs (the final boss track is pretty great).

Koguchi apparently has good taste:

quote:

He decided to pursue a career in video game music composition after hearing "Overdosing Heavenly Bliss" from Trails in the Sky the 3rd, a track that left a strong impression on him back when he was still attending high school.

Some of the Daybreak tracks I like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD7StpwpH1A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJhzZNSCnBk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-RuS5AEtw8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D8oof415Mw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4D0GTbuTTo (this one seems pretty clearly inspired by the Zeiss theme from Sky)

(one of the tracks I like the most unfortunately has spoilers in their comments so I didn't post it; as always be careful with this stuff, but the ones I posted were all fine)