Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

PurpleXVI posted:

They tried to insist that any day now Google could make you pay money to use .webp's which was a very ?????????? statement.

Well they could try. Unity's latest debacle seems to support that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

webp has security vulnerabilities but most browsers have patched over those. It's only really a problem in Discord, which of course does not have the necessary security measures in place.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Anyone know how long it takes for a game to get into the lparchive? I mailed the admin few weeks ago, haven't heard anything

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

baldurk is busy a lot, just have patience

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It takes months sometimes. It's a free, volunteer service, so just shrug and wait.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Or just do what I do, which is "always think about getting your LPs archived and never actually bother emailing baldurk to get them on there"

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
It tends to happen in surges. Some months of silence, and then if you're on the ball and have your things sorted, you can get several in in a row, but yeah, patience.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Arist posted:

baldurk is busy a lot, just have patience
To expand on this, when we say that baldurk is "busy a lot" it's because his day job involves work on one of the premiere debugging tools in the software industry.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

DMorbid posted:

Or just do what I do, which is "always think about getting your LPs archived and never actually bother emailing baldurk to get them on there"

I think about submitting my part of a megathread to get archived, but it just seems weird since the megathread itself isn't archived. Also, the who header image thinger confuses me, so I just don't.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

DMorbid posted:

This is the way. I've been "working" on fixing some images that infranview randomly decided to export at 950 instead of 900 for like 5 years now

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!

Leal posted:

This is the way. I've been "working" on fixing some images that infranview randomly decided to export at 950 instead of 900 for like 5 years now

I could be wrong here, but I thought the images get resized automatically for the archive.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I could be wrong here, but I thought the images get resized automatically for the archive.

Baldurk requested that images be pre-sized to 900px width last I talked to them, and notified me of a couple of images I'd missed that would need downsizing(they would do it, but I still had the impression it was not quite a given).

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!

PurpleXVI posted:

Baldurk requested that images be pre-sized to 900px width last I talked to them, and notified me of a couple of images I'd missed that would need downsizing(they would do it, but I still had the impression it was not quite a given).

Ah, no worries. Thank you for clarifying.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It's also just better for the LPer to have control over the quality and method of resizing so that they're more satisfied with the end result.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I understand that, it also makes baldurks workload easier. There's been times where updates to the archive have bottlenecked because of issues with LPs that people have submitted.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

We have this discussion every other year and I'll say the same again this time: Believe in Baldurk

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

I believe

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Namtab posted:

We have this discussion every other year and I'll say the same again this time: Believe in Baldurk

Every time I believe in Baldurk, they show up and they're like "Hey sorry I've been in trapped in a mine but the backlog is taken care of now" and my requests were apparently lost somehow so I re-send them but Baldurk's disappeared again and the process repeats. :(

Just subscribe to my YouTube already.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Barely an exaggeration

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Danaru posted:

Barely an exaggeration

Oh don't get me wrong, I totally appreciate and value what Baldurk does and all. It just seems like I have incredibly bad luck and timing.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Danaru posted:

Barely an exaggeration

of course you'd use EdoSZ aka the Yakuza name drop font

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Jamesman posted:

Every time I believe in Baldurk, they show up and they're like "Hey sorry I've been in trapped in a mine but the backlog is taken care of now" and my requests were apparently lost somehow so I re-send them but Baldurk's disappeared again and the process repeats. :(

Just subscribe to my YouTube already.

I'm an old school LP reader and your shill for subs just made me vow never to sub!!!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Speaking of shills, congratulations to a former LPer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jec8zlfG3KI

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I believe it counts as mild drama, LP just got renamed and no mod is speaking against this?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
It was me and I have no regrets

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Hell if I'd thought of it, I would have asked the admins myself

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

sounds like someone needs to learn to slay more :wink:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Slay, queens

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Namtab posted:

I'm an old school LP reader and your shill for subs just made me vow never to sub!!!

You will regret this, because aside from my bad luck in getting stuff archived, there's plenty of content on my channel that doesn't fit into typical LP stuff and therefore there wouldn't be any threads or archives for them.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Nofriendo Entertainment System.

Nyrv
Jun 10, 2010
I've been considering the idea of putting together a Neverwinter Nights: Swordflight LP for a little bit. Thinking is never a good thing, so I decided to just pull the trigger.

Mostly looking for a sanity and legibility check, but any feedback is appreciated. 2002-era CRPGs can be a little hard on the eyeballs.

Prologue: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=163691

Choose Your Character: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=163695
(This will be attached to the prologue, I just have them split up for my own organizational purposes)

And the OP, if you're curious: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=163692

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I think my recommendation would be to limit screenshot width to 900px, that tends to be easier on my eyes for some reason,

Nyrv
Jun 10, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

I think my recommendation would be to limit screenshot width to 900px, that tends to be easier on my eyes for some reason,

I think it might just be the screenshot test poster website having a funky zoom, but unless I am very very crazy the widest screenshot should be 1280x800. That's the resolution I record it in to avoid having to do any scaling.

But I guess that's why I called it a sanity check. If one of them is wider than 800px, I'd appreciate a link to it because my old man eyes aren't seeing it.

Nyrv fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 7, 2023

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Nyrv posted:

I think it might just be the screenshot test poster website having a funky zoom, but unless I am very very crazy the widest screenshot should be 1280x800. That's the resolution I record it in to avoid having to do any scaling.

But I guess that's why I called it a sanity check. If one of them is wider than 800px, I'd appreciate a link to it because my old man eyes aren't seeing it.

800 would be the height, surely. 1280 is the width.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Unless you're planning on archiving your LP, 900px wide is too small if you want to keep things legible, especially for widescreen screenshots. I will die on this hill.

You can, of course, crop the relevant text from your bigger screenshots and post that along with the 900px shots, but that's an extra step some people (meaning me) would rather not add to their workflow because these updates already take forever to put together.

Nyrv
Jun 10, 2010

Epicmissingno posted:

800 would be the height, surely. 1280 is the width.

Thank you.

My only excuse is I work as a curator and I forget everyone else in the world uses width by height. I will keep a screenshot of this around for the next time I think I learned anything in school.

I will fiddle around with dimensions a little bit, and I promise I won't mix up X and Y.

DMorbid posted:

Unless you're planning on archiving your LP, 900px wide is too small if you want to keep things legible, especially for widescreen screenshots. I will die on this hill.

Cheers, I'll keep that in mind.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

DMorbid posted:

Like I said, I'm probably weird, but for me wide screenshots cause me more eyestrain than having to squint slightly to read text. :v:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Why is 900 the limit?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Why is 900 the limit?

That's the layout width of the LP archive website

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Tbh this sounds more like a 'old website' issue..

Hm but the site shows fine on mobile, so there's some modern frontend framework involved possibly

Vitamin Me fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Oct 8, 2023