Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Also to basically be saying "let's try pieces at random" super early on. Great for lazily doing a jigsaw at home, less good for doing a survivor puzzle at speed. The journey puzzle basically showed his approach to puzzles was look like you're going fast but have zero eye for the actual detail, which then leads to loving something up but you looked smart doing it.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Oct 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

njsykora posted:

Also to basically be saying "let's try pieces at random" super early on. Great for lazily doing a jigsaw at home, less good for doing a survivor puzzle at speed. The journey puzzle basically showed his approach to puzzles was look like you're going fast but have zero eye for the actual detail, which then leads to loving something up but you looked smart doing it.

yeah he also couldn't figure out the pattern/that it's a tree — he was trying to put this piece in perpendicular when it should have been obvious

i spose i'm just backseat playing though! harder in the moment for sure

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Meanwhile on The Amazing Race there's teams not realising that if you put a lot of heavy objects in a boat it might sink.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

njsykora posted:

Meanwhile on The Amazing Race there's teams not realising that if you put a lot of heavy objects in a boat it might sink.

The too heavy thing in the boat was the dad lol

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

njsykora posted:

Yeah, you can be bad at challenges if you're good physically and vice versa, but Brandon can't do either. The blame can't even go to Sabiyah because she wasn't the one who failed a solo puzzle challenge.

Also lol "I know how good I am socially" no Brandon you're not good at that either.
yeah :lol: I think he was probably good socially but saying how it was his superpower or whatever, all I saw him do was make a bunch of self-deprecating lampshading jokes. Like, if I talk about how I fainted trying to climb a ladder and acknowledge it then at least I'm super good socially! I don't know man, unfortunately the best friend you made still quit the game, and the rest of the tribe is willing to cut you loose instead of the self-destructive player, so you may be good socially but no evidence of being some top tier social performer. Though, hats off to Emily for doing her part with Kaleb to dig her way out of that hole, and Kaleb is looking very good right now.

Brandon also said, "My challenge will come," and yeah he should say that, he's got to, but if he sucks badly at puzzles to the point you can't put him on one or you're sacrificing the challenge, and if he can't move his body from point A to point B without falling over several times... no, his challenge isn't coming. That's the thing with Sabiyah failing the puzzle, she's already carried the logs and done the other stuff, they can just put her on another part of the challenge next time.

I guess I'm being kind of mean to Brandon by saying he literally can't do anything and then piling on and trying to take away his one strength, the social game, and I don't really mean to do that. From the way people in the community gush about him he's probably at least fairly strong socially, but he did have like the most humiliating Survivor experience I think we've seen. By narrowly avoiding being the first boot he just ended up having a second episode to fail at everything he attempted, his hair falling into his face the whole time for an added aura of incompetence.

On the bright side, he apparently attended RHAP live and when he got voted out the whole crowd chanted his name and everyone stood up and clapped, like actually and not just in a made up story that didn't happen. :shobon:

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Brandon had 3 opportunities to save himself on this episode, maybe 4, depending on how you count it. 2 were entirely in his hands in the beware advantage at camp he chose not to attempt and the solo beware advantage he failed. He was responsible for the failure in the team immunity challenge, though Sabiyah also seemed like she was doing gently caress all to solve that puzzle. He also didn't social his way out of it obviously, but I dunno if that counts because the other gently caress ups made that really difficult.

All he had to do was succeed even once, but all he did was fail :(

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

sometimes you're just not cut out for survivor

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

STONE COLD 64 posted:

sometimes you're just not cut out for survivor

I think I would do well.... if there weren't TV cameras everywhere, gently caress that

I realize that's stupid but that's the reason I've never applied. Love the game, hate public attention

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Brandon is likely very good socially but he has no social game. he lost the game and was a failure in every way, but he won my heart.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

yeah he also couldn't figure out the pattern/that it's a tree — he was trying to put this piece in perpendicular when it should have been obvious

i spose i'm just backseat playing though! harder in the moment for sure

This was the moment that made it from comedy of errors to depressingly awful for me. That's not even recognizing it's a tree it's basic pattern recognition. He wasn't even looking at the picture he was randomly just trying to match them up by edges.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
It's coral

I know it's a "tree" shape but I just need to say it's coral

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Coral is just a wet tree.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

njsykora posted:

Coral is just a wet tree.

Could be, no one really knows

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Haha this is an entertaining season so far. We might run out of goobers though!

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

is this loss?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Endless Trash posted:

is this loss?

Uhhh not even a little bit

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think they were trying to do that movie where Jim Carrey can see past the numbers or whatever

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

It’s great when players overthink things like that

Like assuming the survivor production decided to creat a complex cypher code for the tribe to solve…when it’s just the tops of letters lol

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Khanstant posted:

I think they were trying to do that movie where Jim Carrey can see past the numbers or whatever

it's The Hangover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeazgPwP3D0

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Hannah had the opportunity to be great she just needed a smoke and didn't want to try. Brandon really tried and he sucked. Both weren't cut out for Survivor, one wasn't because she didn't want to, the other wasn't because they weren't meant to. Unless they just merge the last few in this group into another tribe, tribal is gonna be pretty boring for minimum one more go.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

inferis posted:

Brandon is likely very good socially but he has no social game. he lost the game and was a failure in every way, but he won my heart.

This is it. Brandon was likeable, everyone on the tribe liked him. I think everyone here liked him too, but being likeable isn't really a game plan.

I still don't like Emily though. Like, no one was gaslighting you Emily, you spent the first two days being antagonistic and immediately trying to get people out and then had the temerity to be shocked that they might want you to go instead. Once she couldn't find the idol she completely changed tact. Maybe she did just realise she was being an rear end in a top hat but I'm not convinced.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Brad's strategy of being clown uncle is going to be funny if he makes it to merge.

One tribe came into the challenge doing a wing motion with their arms. Come merge I'd think it would be wise to rally against the tribe that seems to have the most cohesion, but one of the tribes is already in the death spiral and I reckon the other will be down a couple by merge. Then again that cohesion might shatter once actually rested at a few tribals. Even the people encouraging Brad seemed to be doing it in the "ha ha yep this is the behaviour I need to display to not hurt the performers feelings" way.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

brandon said in the exit interviews that 1) Emily dug herself a much deeper hole in the first tribal council than they even showed in the edit w/r/t the Kaleb and Sabiyah back and forth, and 2) that when they were getting to know each other and talking about their favorite music Emily said she doesn’t like music and that she always drives in silence

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

https://twitter.com/BrandonDonlon/status/1709971592829087957

https://twitter.com/BrandonDonlon/status/1709991119709200722

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

gently caress yeah man be in on the joke.

Brass
Oct 30, 2011

Contestants are possibly some of the worst ever but production is top notch. J Maya trying to decode the sign is perfect gif material. And they are just SHOWING FEET NOW? #BigToeEnergy

I don't think Bruce is trying to win as much as he is trying to increase his Survivor rizz. This man is fueled by memes of himself. He got a taste and now he's hooked.

Also Lawyer has gotta be the most common profession on the show.

I like the format of starting off with 3 tribes but I just don't think it fits with the shortened season. 90 minute episodes are a step in the right direction.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
Yeah even with 90 minutes I feel like it’s mostly been spent on lulu. Back to two tribes Jeff

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Brass posted:

Also Lawyer has gotta be the most common profession on the show.

Lawyers are great because every single one of them does the same "Oh man I need to hide that I'm a lawyer or everyone will know I'm really smart and dangerous" routine and inevitably crashes and burns in the early merge.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Emily had her whole emotional breakthrough and then immediately did the same thing saying the tribe was trying to keep her from getting an advantage. So I have little expectations that she can really change but at least she recognized a need to change?

That being said I’m not an edit reader at all but I kept feeling like Emily’s story was teasing her snapping. I also might be watching too many horror movies.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I always thought the most common was pharmaceutical sales because they're everywhere and also really nobody cares about your job.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It’s almost always just projection. Hence the lawyer assuming everyone will think she’s so smart. But who knows how a complete stranger will react? Maybe they won’t care. Maybe they’ll have had some kind of positive experience with a lawyer and will attach that to you? Maybe they’re obsessed with Law and Order and will become infatuated? Maybe they’ll respect you’re a civil rights lawyer and assume it means you’ve got ethics and can be trusted? Who the hell knows?

And the gamble is that one day when you’re exhausted and hungry you’ll just slip and say “this trial I was doing”. You’re creating a lie about yourself you have to maintain the entire way or risk coming off as a liar. My book on these games has always been that you shouldn’t take permission to lie as an excuse to tell unnecessary lies.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Cops and lawyers on survivor always lying about what they do because their professions are shameful

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
I would take the anti-lawyer sentiment not as "smart threat" but as gently caress the rich solidarity

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i would lie that i am a lawyer when in truth i know nothing about how the law works

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Brass posted:

I don't think Bruce is trying to win as much as he is trying to increase his Survivor rizz. This man is fueled by memes of himself. He got a taste and now he's hooked.

yeah was he like this last time? its weird

the survivor name or family or w/e is too big and too consuming. its like how everyone is always talking about how they love each other 2 days in

this season kind of feels like a parody, you have some of the worst ever contestants, the "celebrity" being some guy who injured himself at the start of a previous season and now acts like a cartoon character

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

CODChimera posted:

yeah was he like this last time? i

He wasn't around long enough to be like anything

But it does feel like weird overcompensating

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

inferis posted:

that when they were getting to know each other and talking about their favorite music Emily said she doesn’t like music and that she always drives in silence

Real Anton Chigurh Energy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

CODChimera posted:

this season kind of feels like a parody, you have some of the worst ever contestants, the "celebrity" being some guy who injured himself at the start of a previous season and now acts like a cartoon character

"Look everyone! It's Bruce!"
*audience hoots and applauds wildly*
*Bruce does the robot*
*audience loses their entire poo poo*