Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
AITA for sending flowers to a girls work 4 times?

quote:

So I met this chick a few weeks ago at a party. She was a bit stand offish at me at first but my friends said she was just shy. Anyway I went over to her and I asked her to come home with me. She refused. I told her she was quite rude and she seemed shocked with my statement. Anyway I asked again and she said no maybe another time. I got her number from my friends phone while he was asleep and messaged her and asked to catch up. She again refused. I was really shocked at how rude she was towards me. Anyway I ended up asking my friend where she worked and I sent flowers to work. She didn't respond after the first time so I sent them again and then a 3rd and then 4th time. I just wanted to talk to her as I thought she was the most beautiful woman I've seen. She has put a status about me on fb telling everyone I am creepy and weird. My friends are mad at me for this too. AITA. We're both 22.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

FMguru posted:

I mean, what are the odds that my fiancee would immediately show off her sparkly new engagement ring to all of her friends because she was so excited? Basically zero, right?!?

I didn't read the original of this, but it's pretty easy to suss out how it went.

UPDATE: AITA for telling my friend I was only pretending to be supportive of his choice to try and find a way to help save him from it.

Blah blah blah, whatever. The kicker is in the highest-voted comment in response.

Ah, there we go.

Just from the title you know it's going to be an a rear end in a top hat. Why do these love the sinner, hate the sin types never say that to people who do tax evasion or steal cars or take too many mommy's little helper pills? Because it's never about loving the sinner.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The flowers will continue until morale improves

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
One of the best stones/nukes combos I've ever seen.

AITA for throwing parenting advice back in a co workers face?

quote:

My office has a woman called Debbie 60s who always gives out dated, judgmental, and awful parenting advice. It’s never asked for and she just butts in conversation.

It stopped for awhile when her son was all over the news for being arrested for something horrible. She took some time off work to deal with the trauma but it’s still lingering on and still occasionally in the news about the trial.

A new coworker was discussing an issue her elementary age child was having and Debbie was telling the parent her kid should tough it out.

It was out of my mouth so fast “is that what you tell your son when he goes to prison for the rest of his life? Just tough it out?

Debbie started crying and has been off work since then because he has intermittent FMLA. My manager told me to cool it abd HR and I had brief conversation but my work bestie thinks I went to far in telling Debbie off.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Cythereal posted:

Saying no to sex with stranger is rude.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Cythereal posted:

this can't actually be written by said creep right?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
If I put enough flowers into the Horadric Cube, eventually it will forge a Sex Token. Right? That's how it works?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Cythereal posted:

What 22yo is on FB these days?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Wicked Them Beats posted:

or you live in Ohio and the mother of the newborn child being unwed is sufficient grounds to demand visitation rights

You know I was going to call bullshit on that but I went searching to double-check and found this brief on Ohio's government website (PDF download). They specifically mention unwed mothers as a carve out and this carve out still exists if the mother gets married, although appellate courts have upheld different opinions on that.

They still do make allowances for the wellbeing of the child though. The last page in the document explains how a child lived with their unwed mother and grandparents, when the mother died the child went to the father who refused visitation. The grandparents sued and there were a number of appeals that went to the Ohio Supreme Court. Eventually they did decide on granting the grandparents rights because the wellbeing of the child trumped the wishes of the father.

Honestly the unwed mother part confused me at first. It just read that an unwed mother meant additional requirements from the father of the child to establish paternal grandparents rights. The maternal grandparents can claim rights with an unwed mother, but the paternal grandparents would need to get the father in a sworn affidavit or through signing the birth certificate, which makes sense.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Cythereal posted:

I hope this is fake because otherwise woman is gonna end up murdered

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I always appreciate the fact that we have legal issues with unwed mothers but very few with unwed fathers because only one of them is technically proven.

AITA for not wanting to name my daughter the name traditionally used in my husband's family for the first granddaughter?

quote:

I (28F) am expecting a daughter with my husband (30M) next year. Our daughter will be the first granddaughter born in his family. He has seven nephews and no nieces so far. When we announced the news that we were having a girl my husband's family were super excited. We already had a name chosen for our daughter and then his family mentioned naming her the family name. My husband already knew the name would be out for me but his family are not oaky with our reasoning.

For context... I am an affair baby and I was unfortunately raised in an environment where that was all I was allowed to be for the first 18 years of my life. My dad's affair was never taken out on him but instead I was the one everyone hated. My dad's wife was the person who hated me most of all. She found me repulsive and never hesitated to tell me exactly that. Her name was Annalise. She was giddy when she kicked me out at midnight on my 18th birthday. I never saw her or any of my biological family after that.

My husband's family name for the first granddaughter is also Annalise. It has been used for five generations already and our daughter is meant to be the sixth in the eyes of his family.

We explained the reason why the name would not be used for our daughter and they were not happy. They feel like I should try to add a positive association to the name by using it for my daughter and allowing her to be part of something that she should be based on the fact she will be the first granddaughter.

My husband told them it was not happening and that is his final decision.

But his family say I could assure him I'm fine with it and make sure we use the name. They said I am destroying something special by refusing.

AITA?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Cowslips Warren posted:

I always appreciate the fact that we have legal issues with unwed mothers but very few with unwed fathers because only one of them is technically proven.

AITA for not wanting to name my daughter the name traditionally used in my husband's family for the first granddaughter?

they can eat poo poo

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

haveblue posted:

really getting tired of all these TERFs (TERF-Explaining Radical Forumposters)

I don't recall saying radical.

FMguru posted:

I didn't read the original of this, but it's pretty easy to suss out how it went.

UPDATE: AITA for telling my friend I was only pretending to be supportive of his choice to try and find a way to help save him from it.

Blah blah blah, whatever. The kicker is in the highest-voted comment in response.

Ah, there we go.

It's these dual-POV stories that fuel the counter-theorizing and extra reading between the lines this thread has, and I'm totally fine with it.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
AITA for pulling a prank on my wife that caused collateral damage?

I mean do we even need the post just from the title?
Of course we do.

quote:

First off, my wife and I do very stupid, silly pranks on each other. It’s a love language. She loves to be pranked. It’s never anything humiliating, denigrating, demeaning, etc. If you’re familiar with the show New Girl, her pranks to me are on par with Winston’s “too small” pranks. They’re just silly. Mine to her are a little bigger just because she loves it so much. Like once I found out how to change the background on her car screen and took a picture of my butt and put it on there. She laughed about it for hours. I changed it back.

About 2 years ago when she was having a giggle fit, she told me her idea for a “big” prank. To switch someone’s deodorant stick with cream cheese. She laughed so hard about it that she cried. She said she could never do that but how funny would it be?

Well, I saved it in my back pocket. It had to line up with her needing a new stick of deodorant and me being able to do it without her noticing. So yeah, two years later, I finally got things going.

Unfortunately… her sister came to stay with us. They use the same deodorant, and her sister mistook the cream cheese one for hers. She put it on. I cannot understand how she didn’t immediately notice it, because I tested it on myself and it wasn’t a pretty sight (I do have hairier pits than she does). But apparently it took her at least until she went to the store, in a sleeveless top, and yeah…

She rained down on me like hellfire, yelling about how I humiliated her and how disgusting it was and she’d have to take “like 5 showers to get the stench of hot cream cheese off.” She told me that I was childish and stupid. My wife was, at the time, out of the house, so she thought I did it on purpose. I tried to explain it to her and apologized a million times and she just kept laying it on me.

When I told my wife, she didn’t remember that she’d been the one to come up with it. She laughed but said that I should’ve known better and I should have remembered her sister would be there.

AITA?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Mom reappears after fifteen years, has a meltdown when the kid she abandoned credits their stepmother for their success. Bonus ingredient: racism!

AITA for giving my graduation ticket to my "stepmom" and introducing her as my parent?

quote:

My (18M) dad (36M) high school GF, Melanie (36F) had me when they were 18. My dad asked if they could get a termination as he had dreams of going to college. Melanie was Baptist so she said no, dad said OK as it was her decision, decided to drop college and start a family. When I was 6 months old, Melanie said this wasn't the life she wanted, had a breakdown, dumped me on dad and moved.

My dads parents and my dad looked after me, while my dad attended a smaller college in-state. Soon, he met Anita, an Indian exchange student, and by the time I was 2, they were married. Btw, Dad is white and so is Melanie, so obviously I am too. When they graduated, we moved to our current state, and dad and Anita did PhDs. They're both Profs in my state's Ivy college, and I have a brother Peter aged 8.

I put "stepmom" in quotes because ever since I could talk I called Anita mom, and she was always my mom. She loves me, never showed any difference in affection towards me and Peter, and is my best friend.

Last year Melanie got in touch as she moved to my state. She had a husband and 2 kids (Peter's age). She kept inviting me around, asking me to do stuff with her and "my siblings", and sometimes I'd say yes but I didn't care about her as she never cared till I was 17, sorry if that sounds rude. She asked if I could call her Mom also, I declined, she seemed OK if a little pissed.

I did well in school, and got a state award and a full college ride for next year. The ceremony was last week. I got 3 "free" tickets - anyone else who wanted to come had to pay $25 each. I gave the tickets to Dad, Anita, and Peter. Melanie was offended, and asked why I couldn't give her one and my parents pay for Peter, I said no. So she paid for her, her kids, and husband to come.

In my speech I thanked my parents for helping me with schoolwork, and joked that I picked a college far away as they taught in ours. Afterwards, an official asked which were my parents to congratulate them, assuming it was Dad and Melanie (fair, since I am white). I said no, that Dad and Anita were my parents, so he congratulated them.

Melanie started crying after the event, telling me how "insulting" it was for me to say Anita was my parent, and how it looks awful for me to keep saying that "an Indian lady was my mom, even though everyone knows thats not true". Dad whisked us off, but Melanie has been posting on FB about "brainwashed" children of divorce and "elitists" looking down on people who didn't go to college.

Reddit, was I horrible? I know it seems rude to say Anita is my parent and ignore Melanie but in that context (and all contexts) I wanted Anita to get the credit because SHE was the college prof and SHE helped me with school, even more than dad as she did the humanities (where I struggled). Also, Melanie and my dad were never married.

Is this normal? Must I call her mom too just because we are the same race, so people don't look at us weird? Have I embarassed her in public? Please help.

Edit: nobody has ever "looked at us weird" btw, and nothing has made me feel insecure about not being Anita's race. I see her as my mom and always have, and while people sometimes get confused, they catch on quite fast as my state is quite diverse so multiracial families are common.
OP did nothing wrong, and is a very good older brother

OP in comments posted:

Yeah thanks I mean the main reason I don't like Melanie is because the first few times we agreed to do stuff with her, she let her kids call Peter Apu (from the Simpsons), and did not scold them for it, which I noticed cos I waa the one watching the kids. She called it childhood teasing and that they learned it from school. So I stopped saying yes to things and told my parents the reason, so they obviously don't let Peter go out with Melanie and the kids anymore, which means I also don't want to go because Peter gets sad if I go "play with other kids" without him (which is fair imo since he's only 8 years old).
Good looking out by OP, and Melanie can go eat a river of dicks.

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

RC Cola posted:

Glad this person got told to eat poo poo

"I'm transphobic. I told my trans friend this and they and all my friends got angry at me. I stalked my former trans friend at their place of work and forced them to concede forgiveness otherwise I wouldn't let them go home. Now they're mad at me! AITA"

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Cowslips Warren posted:

Reminds me of this classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkdV25csytE

Also, how did the sister-in-law not feel the difference? I've never rubbed cream cheese on my armpit but I think it would be fairly obvious that it wasn't deodorant.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

FMguru posted:

Mom reappears after fifteen years, has a meltdown when the kid she abandoned credits their stepmother for their success. Bonus ingredient: racism!

AITA for giving my graduation ticket to my "stepmom" and introducing her as my parent?

OP did nothing wrong, and is a very good older brother

Good looking out by OP, and Melanie can go eat a river of dicks.

This kid seems great. Love the mom who leaves the kids she says she wants and then comes back expecting to be treated like a hero or something

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Also, how did the sister-in-law not feel the difference? I've never rubbed cream cheese on my armpit but I think it would be fairly obvious that it wasn't deodorant.

I thought about that too, but then I remembered that I occasionally used to use a brand that was much softer than the normal sticks, you'd turn the dial to raise it like normal but it would squish out through little holes on the top of the container. So I judge it: technically possible

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Cythereal posted:

you are creepy and wierd op but also youre probably about to go down the incel hole so :bye whore:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FMguru posted:

If I put enough flowers into the Horadric Cube, eventually it will forge a Sex Token. Right? That's how it works?

No, dialog trees work by letting you pick the wrong prompt as many times as you want and then you pick the right one and all those mistakes are forgotten and you advance the romance arc

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

RC Cola posted:

This kid seems great. Love the mom who leaves the kids she says she wants and then comes back expecting to be treated like a hero or something
The college-bound high school senior who always makes time for his 8 year old stepbrother is pretty :3:

He seems to appreciate what his real parents went through to raise him

OP in comments posted:

Yeah thats actually the exact reason why I wanted to give them a shoutout. I still remember when they were doing their PhDs and starting their lectureships because I spent many hours until I was 8 or 9 playing in their offices or sitting in lectures with colouring books. Which was good for me in terms of school of course as everyone always wanted to help me with homework but also it can't have been easy giving a lecture while keeping an eye on a 5 year old.
Gosh, can't understand why the mom who wandered back in after 15 years with a brand new do-over family of racist dipshits isn't getting the hero's welcome she expected.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

FMguru posted:

The college-bound high school senior who always makes time for his 8 year old stepbrother is pretty :3:

He seems to appreciate what his real parents went through to raise him

Gosh, can't understand why the mom who wandered back in after 15 years with a brand new do-over family of racist dipshits isn't getting the hero's welcome she expected.

My dad isn't my bio dad. He's just the guy who decided to date my pregnant mother and be around and raise me my entire life. He's not my step dad he's my dad. My bio dad I know nothing about except that his name is Greg. gently caress Greg

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Cowslips Warren posted:

I can' read one of these without remembering this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0VHpWbsUA8

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

snergle posted:

you are creepy and wierd op but also youre probably about to go down the incel hole so :bye whore:

Makes me wonder how many inches out there talking about their "rejections" were like this story, just walking up to someone and thinking that telling them they're hot and asking to come home for the night is something besides offensively creepy.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

Makes me wonder how many inches out there talking about their "rejections" were like this story, just walking up to someone and thinking that telling them they're hot and asking to come home for the night is something besides offensively creepy.

That's how it works in anime and porn!

Hey sitcom dad!

AITA for embarrassing my daughter in front of her coffee shop crush?

quote:

Long story short. my teen daughter has a crush on a barista at our local coffee shop. they have a thing going, at least on her end. She goes there most mornings before school and they chit chat and flirt. She's been in a good mood the past couple of weeks because their interactions have been flowing after she finally worked through her shyness. She excitedly tells me all about it although it's not like they are dating or even exchanged numbers. Its just a crush and could even be one sided, i try to tread lightly with teenagers and their crushes.

My question is AITA: we went for a walk after school and ended up stopping by the coffee shop. Apparently her barista crush was there because my daughter tensed up and started acting a little weird. Note: I have never actually seen her crush to recognize him. I don't go to this coffee shop.Without thinking, in a loud voice, I said to her "is Nate here? Where is he?" and she immediately turned beat red. "Where?" I asked again. In hindsight I should have read the clues that he was there and she was shy, but I was honestly confused, she wasnt answering me. She didn't actually greet him if he was there, so I still don't know who he is or what he looks like. It would have been nice of her to play it cool and introduce me. I think she's the one that was being weird.

After we left the coffee shop, i got an earful about how embarrassing it was that i asked that so loudly, how she wants to trust me and tell me things about her life, but she can't when i embarrass her like that. she told me that he was there and heard me say that and now she is too embarrassed to go back there.So, AITA or is my teen daughter just dramatic? I understand i shouldnt have said that, but it was just a thoughtless mistake. i doubt her crush will be put off by it.Any and all feedback appreciated.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Cowslips Warren posted:

My family also has a naming tradition: name your kids whatever the hell you want.

Barking Gecko
Apr 10, 2016

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."

therattle posted:

My family also has a naming tradition: name your kids whatever the hell you want.

I asked my father about this once, and he said no child should be named after some ancestor, because children shouldn't be expected to carry someone else's baggage before they can even walk.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Barking Gecko posted:

I asked my father about this once, and he said no child should be named after some ancestor, because children shouldn't be expected to carry someone else's baggage before they can even walk.

I am named after a Catholic priest.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Desert Bus posted:

I was named after a bar and after 47 years have accepted I’ll never know the true story about why. Parents can’t get their stories straight, because I only asked years after the divorce.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Desert Bus posted:

St. Francis Xavier Desertbus?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

FMguru posted:

St. Francis Xavier Desertbus?

Nailed it (like Jesus on the cross)!

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Cowslips Warren posted:

That's how it works in anime and porn!

Hey sitcom dad!

AITA for embarrassing my daughter in front of her coffee shop crush?

Just about everything you do as a parent is capable of triggering obliteration-level embarrassment to teenagers and there are few other joys to be found raising them, so do your thing. Find their personal "Nintendos" or "pokeymans" and mash that button as hard as you can.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Bored posted:

There are so many things that can cause heat intolerance. I don’t believe body hair is one of them.

It might not even be heat intolerance, the way he's describing it! Above 20C, most people will start sweating slightly. And sweating after significant exertion is normal. This isn't even described as "you're sweating way too much", just "I can see evidence that you sweat".

Cythereal posted:

"She didn't want me to have her number, and I had to snoop to find out where she works, and I sent flowers four times without any positive response, but surely she's the rear end in a top hat for calling me creepy and weird!"

Boris Galerkin posted:

I hope this is fake because otherwise woman is gonna end up murdered

Even if this particular one is fake, there's too much truth to it.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I would believe some of these more if they didn't swing from the lowest lows to the highest highs. I don't doubt there are people out there who do amazing things while also posting dumb stories on reddit, but why does the OP always have to be a Mary Sue-type character? Why is it always full rides and big inheritances and top positions in the company?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Barking Gecko posted:

My parents named me Samsonite

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Professor Wayne posted:

My parents named me Samsonite

Lucky. My parents named me Pack Mule. (That was my great-grandfather's name; he died in an unfortunate sawmill-pit incident.)

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

My parents named me RC Cola after the drink my forefathers drank at "Joe's Hotdogs" :patriot:

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

RC Cola posted:

My parents named me RC Cola after the drink my forefathers drank at "Joe's Hotdogs" :patriot:

post/username combo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

I mean do we even need the post just from the title?
Of course we do.

I was bracing myself for something monstrous, but this doesn’t seem like a big deal? If the worst consequence is someone had to take an extra shower that’s not the end of the world.

The sisters are gross for sharing deodorant though. Nothing says fresh and clean like smearing someone else’s armpit bacteria on yourself.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 6, 2023