Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I had someone honking like crazy behind me because I pulled out in front of them while they were still a block away. Made it to a stop sign a tiny little bit before another guy on my right, but just to be polite I waved them forward while the honky guy got even more mad lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
In addition to carbrain making you a violent coward this has also been an excellent example of how carbrain turns you fascist and makes the pedestrian untermenschen completely disposable and not worth considering.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

this is the car version of "an armed society is a polite society" lmao

no it's not

the road is not a social environment. like, period. it's a physical space of physical objects that are already being piloted by people when you're on it, you can't change that from there, that's changed from outside of there, everything on it is changed from outside of there, when you are there, all you can do is increase your safety profile, or lower it. you literally can't do anything else when on the road, anything else that you think you might be doing is only doing one of those two things.

don't socialize there, as it will not increase your safety profile

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

mystes posted:

responding to PFC

sounds unlikely, why would anyone do that?

did PFC not also say he never drives and any time he needs a car his wife drives? i figure from that understanding its all theoretical bluster anyway when he discusses being behind the wheel

mystes
May 31, 2006

Grassy Knowles posted:

sounds unlikely, why would anyone do that?

did PFC not also say he never drives and any time he needs a car his wife drives? i figure from that understanding its all theoretical bluster anyway when he discusses being behind the wheel
I try not to think that hard about pfc posts

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’d better put my cans in the trash can, because some CHUD might shoot me if I recycle.

Wait, no, actually I need to litter, because even using a trash can might trigger them. :ohdear:

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Anything you can do to make driving less convenient than other options is a long term good. There is some chance you might not live to see that good.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

im gonna go the speed limit even harder now

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

mystes posted:

I think you're all just talking past each other because I think FirstnaneLastname was originally responding to PFC saying he drives the speed limit to intentionally piss people off and yeah intentionally trying to piss lovely drivers off is dumb whereas other people were giving other reasons to drive the speed limit

actually it's awesome and fun

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Platystemon posted:

I’d better put my cans in the trash can, because some CHUD might shoot me if I recycle.

Wait, no, actually I need to litter, because even using a trash can might trigger them. :ohdear:

Starting to think that maybe giving guys with extremely fragile egos access to deadly weapons is a bad idea

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

BonHair posted:

Starting to think that maybe giving guys with extremely fragile egos access to deadly weapons is a bad idea

no one will be safe until we all have fragile egos

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

FirstnameLastname posted:

no it's not

the road is not a social environment. like, period. it's a physical space of physical objects that are already being piloted by people when you're on it, you can't change that from there, that's changed from outside of there, everything on it is changed from outside of there, when you are there, all you can do is increase your safety profile, or lower it. you literally can't do anything else when on the road, anything else that you think you might be doing is only doing one of those two things.

it sounds like the best course of action for you would be never to be on the road at all frankly

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

no it's not

It's okay to drive the speed limit

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

limit usually means the upper bound of something btw

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

i have never murdered anyone and didn't say to murder people, i said to avoid other traffic on the road rather than antagonizing strangers by deliberately ignoring the reality of how traffic flow works for ideological reasons, because moving vehicles aren't a place to argue points from. they are dangerous
i have had someone chase and try to run me off of the road in their car after they got upset i didn't brake for them to merge, after catching up to me at an offramp, they pitched a baseball,-sized ball of ice at my head with a 35mph speed differential, it missed by about half a foot and exploded against the a-pillar
three members of my immediate family members have had guns pointed directly at them over roadrage poo poo. you can think it's unlikely all you want, you don't want it fuckin happening to you, don't open yourself up to the chances of it unnecessarily - it doesn't matter how right you are if the only possible outcomes are A: Nothing or B: people get hurt. that's not the way to be right, which makes it wrong, which makes it bad. its that simple

if you are only considering a course of action because you feel your car affords you some protection from potential consequences, then you're being a dick for no good reason.

when you are operating a vehicle you should be entirely focused on that, not getting fussy about how fast or slow traffic is moving. not altering your decision making process to focus on pissing off the guy in the truck. - no, im not the guy in the truck, i don't drive a truck, pls stop projecting whatever scenario you've got in your head onto what I'm saying, this is objectively true.
it has nothing to do with any ideological stance it is a matter of physics and basic human psychology: it is not appropriate to try to get an emotional reaction out of someone piloting 3-6 thousand pounds of steel moving several dozen feet-per-second. especially with how lax licensing standards are, you already have no idea if the person you are upsetting is capable of safely operating their vehicle under the best of conditions, why would you want to make those conditions any worse and increase the likelihood of anything bad happening? Have you ever been in a car crash? They're terrifying, avoid them lol

Ham Equity posted:

Look, the only safe thing to do is to put your gas pedal to the max and never, ever let up, because if you don't, the driver behind you will become Hitler and go genocide a bunch of people.

Which is to say if you're not speeding a whole bunch, you're basically a Nazi.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Grassy Knowles posted:

i think you’re missing the forest for the trees. the argument is that you go the speed limit because it’s safer for the pedestrians, it pissing off another driver is just the frosting of snow on those trees.

im not saying to speed though!

im saying to prioritize avoiding other traffic over following the exact designated speed, as in f.ex. if everyone's going 10-15 over and going 5 over keeps traffic from approaching you or you from approaching traffic at a 10+mph differential, it's always going to be much safer than going the exact speed and having several cars passing you at 10-15+ per minute

like, don't prioritize a designated speed over the actual situation on the road. that's the important part of what im saying
the most dangerous part of driving is the other cars and the most dangerous part of the other cars is the difference in speed, so prioritizing reducing the amount of other cars around you and reducing the speed between you and them is going to make you safer than anything that puts you near them at higher speed differential

the useful part of a speed limit is that it gives you an idea of how fast other traffic will be going on that road before you encounter it + when they throw the yellow hazard speeds up on corners.
as an explicit direction to follow, speed limits are v. inconsistently applied & often don't reflect the actual driving conditions (in both directions), treating it like the default 'safest speed' and not factoring in traffic, your own vehicles capabilities and the condition of the road surface can paradoxically be deceptively dangerous in itself as if you're relying on the speed limit to determine whether or not you're safe, if you're ever going too fast for conditions (fluid spils, rain, ice etc), it will catch you entirely off guard

in my experience (and im not saying this to go after anyone its just a thing I've noticed) people who follow the exact speed limit often, not always but often, it's kind-of a stereotype, aren't comfortable with driving in general, for one reason or another, and aren't able to tell what their vehicle can or cannot handle, so end up overly prioritizing speed limit compliance as a kinda "appeal to authority" through the speed limit to mentally make themselves feel safer, since by following the Rules they are in compliance and therefore safe;
except that's not how it works, the human-made rules don't decide anything at all on the road, only physics, and physics don't respond to reason, so to keep yourself as safe as possible it's necessary to prioritize that physical reality over anything else incl. emotions or rational "they shouldn't be going that fast/doing that" kind of judgements or decisionmaking in general - even if you're 1000% right!
cuz that stuff simply doesn't apply to the vehicles, only the people in them, when what the vehicles are doing is what ultimately dictate the situation, so as long as you're currently driving, it's only ever going to increase your likelihood of a crash or other bad outcome

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

lol

what

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

the most dangerous part of driving is the other cars and the most dangerous part of the other cars is the difference in speed, so prioritizing reducing the amount of other cars around you and reducing the speed between you and them is going to make you safer than anything that puts you near them at higher speed differential

as I’m not a driver, I think of this in terms of the pedestrian who also has a strong interest in decreasing their speed differential with the cars on the road

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

in my experience (and im not saying this to go after anyone its just a thing I've noticed) people who follow the exact speed limit often, not always but often, it's kind-of a stereotype, aren't comfortable with driving in general, for one reason or another, and aren't able to tell what their vehicle can or cannot handle, so end up overly prioritizing speed limit compliance as a kinda "appeal to authority" through the speed limit to mentally make themselves feel safer, since by following the Rules they are in compliance and therefore safe;

PROTIP: if you own a gun over a year without negligent discharging at least once, you aren't handling it enough. NDs are a natural part of handling weapons, just like tweaking your back is part of weightlifting and car accidents are part of driving. I ND several times a year because I actually HANDLE and know how to USE my weapons. It makes me a better firearms handler and marksman, and it's a small part of the price you pay in the sheepdog lifestyle Simple fact is, the "safety mentality" will build mental blocks in your head that will get you killed. You need to be comfortable putting your finger on the trigger and pointing the gun wherever you want no matter the time, place, or status of the weapon. Taking time to check whether the gun is loaded whenever you pick one up will serve to make you hesitate in a personal defense scenario. You loving safety idiots are going to get people killed all because of this loving "ND" shaming. Guns are inherently dangerous, you need to accept it.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

im not saying to speed though!

im saying to prioritize avoiding other traffic over following the exact designated speed, as in f.ex. if everyone's going 10-15 over and going 5 over keeps traffic from approaching you or you from approaching traffic at a 10+mph differential, it's always going to be much safer than going the exact speed and having several cars passing you at 10-15+ per minute

like, don't prioritize a designated speed over the actual situation on the road. that's the important part of what im saying

the useful part of a speed limit is that it gives you an idea of how fast other traffic will be going on that road before you encounter it + when they throw the yellow hazard speeds up on corners.
as an explicit direction to follow, speed limits are v. inconsistently applied & often don't reflect the actual driving conditions (in both directions), treating it like the default 'safest speed' and not factoring in traffic, your own vehicles capabilities and the condition of the road surface can paradoxically be deceptively dangerous in itself as if you're relying on the speed limit to determine whether or not you're safe, if you're ever going too fast for conditions (fluid spils, rain, ice etc), it will catch you entirely off guard

except that's not how it works, the human-made rules don't decide anything at all on the road, only physics, and physics don't respond to reason, so to keep yourself as safe as possible it's necessary to prioritize that physical reality over anything else incl. emotions or rational "they shouldn't be going that fast/doing that" kind of judgements or decisionmaking in general - even if you're 1000% right!
cuz that stuff simply doesn't apply to the vehicles, only the people in them, when what the vehicles are doing is what ultimately dictate the situation, so as long as you're currently driving, it's only ever going to increase your likelihood of a crash or other bad outcome

Look dude everyone fully comprehends the thesis of your argument we all just think "I should be able to endanger pedestrians because I'm scared" is a lovely argument.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh also as I was walking home a driver blew a stale red as I was in the crosswalk so I just open palm slapped the window as it was going past.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Grassy Knowles posted:

as I’m not a driver, I think of this in terms of the pedestrian who also has a strong interest in decreasing their speed differential with the cars on the road

the most dangerous thing for a pedestrian is when a car has lost control, and the most likely cause for a car to lose control is colliding with another car

the speed is a huge factor for the amount of damage, but unless someone is going excessively above the designated speed, it's very unlikely to factor into whether or not a person loses control of their car

that is to say the speed limit isn't the limit the road can be safely driven on, it's the speed that a road can support traffic on across the board from sports cars to u-hauls, from winter to summer and in most vehicles under most conditions on most roads it will not be close to any thresholds of vehicle capabilities and someone exceeding it by 10%-15% or whatever in other to keep a distance from other traffic is going to keep pedestrians (and everyone else) safer than if someone keeps a speed variance between them and other traffic and unnecessarily risks a collision and loss of control with every single passing vehicle
like with airplane traffic, the thing they prioritize more than anything else is making sure the airplanes paths don't intersect and that they keep a wide proximity from each other, it works very well, and people should do that with cars for the same reasons

like im not saying go faster to be safer, just that it's safer to not be by other cars than to be near them, and that the amount of safety provided for both pedestrians and drivers by added distance, in the vast majority of conditions and circumstances, greatly exceeds any risk added by a slight increase in speed, therefore if going slightly faster keeps you away from other traffic, it's going to be safer than doing anything that places you deeper within traffic and/or at a speed differential to it

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Bushiz posted:

Look dude everyone fully comprehends the thesis of your argument we all just think "I should be able to endanger pedestrians because I'm scared" is a lovely argument.

what are you talking about lmfao

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
flying in the “coffin corner” to minimize conflict with other planes

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
like is it really that controversial or heartless to say "drive your vehicle accord to the road and traffic conditions and don't pretend it's making you or anyone else any safer to mentally prioritize a number on a sign over what's actually happening in front of you while disrupting traffic intentionally to own the Chuds"

wgat

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
Pretty wild that some car brained murderer decided it was useful to spend their time in the anti car thread defending their decision to break safety regulations because they decided that was less scary for them that way, public safety be damned

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
it's ok to make the right driving decision even if you're in a tiny minority in doing it, much like masking to prevent disease

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Gotta go fast because Joe and Eileen Bailey are right behind me, and I must catch up with Ms. Motte.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

i do not disbelieve your reasoning behind it, i just disagree about what the outcomes of the behavior look like. faster only equals safer until an accident happens, at which point I believe the speed is the highest determining factor towards outcome. and since no one worth considering in these terms plans on an accident, we should be acting with the safety protocols as if one is going to happen.

can someone post the speed vs outcomes infographic again tia

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Platystemon posted:

PROTIP: if you own a gun over a year without negligent discharging at least once, you aren't handling it enough. NDs are a natural part of handling weapons, just like tweaking your back is part of weightlifting and car accidents are part of driving. I ND several times a year because I actually HANDLE and know how to USE my weapons. It makes me a better firearms handler and marksman, and it's a small part of the price you pay in the sheepdog lifestyle Simple fact is, the "safety mentality" will build mental blocks in your head that will get you killed. You need to be comfortable putting your finger on the trigger and pointing the gun wherever you want no matter the time, place, or status of the weapon. Taking time to check whether the gun is loaded whenever you pick one up will serve to make you hesitate in a personal defense scenario. You loving safety idiots are going to get people killed all because of this loving "ND" shaming. Guns are inherently dangerous, you need to accept it.

cars are inherently dangerous and infact kill more people every day than guns do

treating them like they're safe or that they in any way will respond to logic or a position of moral superiority is insane. it does not matter how right you are, you are arguing with a motor vehicle

its a block of metal rolling on big wheels that's already in motion, what you think about it literally does not factor into what happens at all

Troutful
May 31, 2011

this explains a lot about my visit to Philadelphia

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I don't think anyone should be comfortable with driving in general, actually.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think there's probably a fair case that if you're just thinking about your own personal safety while driving on a highway, it's potentially safer to go slightly faster than the speed limit if that's the speed everyone else is going and conditions allow

Once you try to argue that's better for pedestrians or something that gets pretty ridiculous though

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
it's baffling to think that going faster will make aggressive drivers back off. they never do, they always keep making every situation more dangerous

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mystes posted:

I think there's probably a fair case that if you're just thinking about your own personal safety while driving on a highway, it's better to go slightly faster than the speed limit if that's the speed everyone else is going and conditions allow

Once you try to argue that's better for pedestrians or something that gets pretty ridiculous though

The whole argument only makes any sense at all on stroads, not on highways and not on proper streets.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
slowing down on stroads makes even more sense due to all the driveways

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
Cars should be unpleasant and terrifying to drive, with far fewer safety features for the operator, and have weak engines and poor handling. Might make motorists pay more attention to what they're doing.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

cars should randomly implode just a thought

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

turn the key and crunch the car folds up Jetsons style

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Grassy Knowles posted:

i do not disbelieve your reasoning behind it, i just disagree about what the outcomes of the behavior look like. faster only equals safer until an accident happens, at which point I believe the speed is the highest determining factor towards outcome. and since no one worth considering in these terms plans on an accident, we should be acting with the safety protocols as if one is going to happen.

can someone post the speed vs outcomes infographic again tia

at the mass societal level yes but at the individual level you cannot control what other people are going to do on the road, you can't get them to follow along, your only options are what will immediately increase or reduce your safety profile for your specific situation.
while driving you have no control over anything else and there's no collective actions, so it's best to use the control you do have to avoid collisions over any other priorities and the best way to do that is by staying separate from other traffic because it's where the most collisions come from

you can't really use statistics to guide individual decisions while driving because loss of control/collisons are a binary, there's a lot of scenarios where avoiding collisions involves making decisions that statistically would be considered an increase in risk, but are also the way to avoid a greater risk. such as increasing your speed to match traffic and maintain a distance even if it's above the designated speed
with most of those situations if everyone drove consistently and rationally they wouldn't be the right move to make, but people don't