Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Tactical consideration: Don't make your eyes grabbable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

come on guys they didn't show a body i'm holding out hope

no one is talking about the other thing that happened

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Yo students get me out of the whack rear end flesh (?) prison

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Hey it's been a while and I can't remember... is the premise here that ordinary people don't know about curses and just kinda accept that sometimes hundreds of people get dismembered without explanation?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Normies don't know about them jujuwasits, no.

Major incidents are implied to be relatively rare and sorcerers do coverups (part of the job of the black-suited managers) to keep it all under wraps. This situation in Shibuya must be the largest case of jujutsu terrorism in the modern era, much worse than the one by Suguru's faction in JJK:Z considering the number of civilians deliberately caught in it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah they routinely do coverups and use Veils to hide their activities. During the Night of a Hundred Demons they were warned in advance and so had the areas under threat evacuated.

The given reason for the secrecy is that if the non sorcerer majority knew about Curses, it would cause a great deal of anxiety that invisible monsters could suddenly kill them at any time, which would in turn create more curses and stronger ones.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I know that they're all horrible malevolent entities bent on human death and suffering, but I can't help but like Hanami and Jogo a little. I think part of it is that they're nature-based cursed spirits so they just don't have as strong a stink of human treachery and sadism about them the way that Mahito or Sukuna do

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

OnimaruXLR posted:

I know that they're all horrible malevolent entities bent on human death and suffering, but I can't help but like Hanami and Jogo a little. I think part of it is that they're nature-based cursed spirits so they just don't have as strong a stink of human treachery and sadism about them the way that Mahito or Sukuna do

As my Avatar suggests I agree. (Bit sad I was not able to fit Hanami into frame)

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

ninjewtsu posted:

no one is talking about the other thing that happened

I think it's a fakeout and Mahito did/ is doing some hosed up thing to Mechamaru to gently caress with Yuuji.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

paragon1 posted:

I think it's a fakeout and Mahito did/ is doing some hosed up thing to Mechamaru to gently caress with Yuuji.

The worst thing Mahito could do to Yuji is make an actual human earthworm to turn him off his favorite movie series.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
I watched the movie after the prequel episodes aired, so everything flowed chronologically for me up to this point. I'm also a bit disappointed by the Krang reveal, from a narrative perspective, but mostly because there was nothing in-between these events. With the prequel episodes + movie right before the present day episodes, it felt like this was some sort of continuation of Suguru's character arc, like as mentioned why he is hanging out with people he would normally hate, but all of that just went out the window. However, I'm holding out hope that Krang T. Geto is a more important character than currently revealed.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I'm a bit late to the show, but I didn't have the time to watch the episode before and man, do I need to vent after lame-rear end twist like that. Sure, lets throw away half a season + movie of build-up and development for a character and replace him with some random evil brain hijacking his corpse. What.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

OnimaruXLR posted:

Hanami, I can understand, she was just fighting for the preservation of Earth.

But Jogo? gently caress that guy and his nasty teeth, he’s such a poo poo.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

X-Ray Pecs posted:

But Jogo? gently caress that guy and his nasty teeth, he’s such a poo poo.

I'm convinced they keep him because he's such a bitter loudmouth.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I did enjoy them wordlessly continuing to play Mahjong for a bit before the realization set in for Jogo.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I found this episode way more interesting than last week's. I certainly was not expecting that death and there was a lot of laying the groundwork for future events.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Lt. Lizard posted:

I'm a bit late to the show, but I didn't have the time to watch the episode before and man, do I need to vent after lame-rear end twist like that. Sure, lets throw away half a season + movie of build-up and development for a character and replace him with some random evil brain hijacking his corpse. What.

Well, the movie is technically completely separate from the series as it was written before anything else. The timing of the movie in the anime release schedule made things a little confusing though, yes, especially when it was followed by the flashback arc.

Narratively, the entire series starts with Geto dead, so from the moment you first see him in the main storyline you're already meant to be thinking "wait, Geto is dead, who is this guy?" The flashback arc's purpose was to set up some story stuff that comes back later. For example, it shows us that Geto and Gojo have an entire history together as friends which becomes the key for locking Gojo in the Lament Configuration eyeball cube thingy and importantly is the entire reason Braino is specifically using Geto's body in the first place.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

RillAkBea posted:

Narratively, the entire series starts with Geto dead, so from the moment you first see him in the main storyline you're already meant to be thinking "wait, Geto is dead, who is this guy?" The flashback arc's purpose was to set up some story stuff that comes back later. For example, it shows us that Geto and Gojo have an entire history together as friends which becomes the key for locking Gojo in the Lament Configuration eyeball cube thingy and importantly is the entire reason Braino is specifically using Geto's body in the first place.

Gojo got literally eviscerated like a chicken with an anti-magic dagger, got confirmed as being dead and then got better and that all happened this season. And he was far from the only character that had a clearly life-ending injury that simply didn't stick. The only way you can think "Getou is dead, this can't be Getou" and not "This is Getou, he somehow cheated death," is if you already know the former is true and are working backwards from that.

But the real issue is that Getou being the same character as Gojo's old friend who decided to walk a path, that eventually led him to cooperate with curses he despised is simply a significantly more interesting story than Getou being just a corpse piloted by a cursed spirit, which is why that reveal was so disappointing.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Something's not more interesting just because it's what your poor reading of the situation led you to.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

The people who are up to date with the manga in this thread should really resist their urge to discuss speculation about major plot elements with the people that are anime only.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
as a manga reader, the only thing in my mind when I’m watching the anime is that the people at Mappa really really want to bang Gojo

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

yum posted:

as a manga reader, the only thing in my mind when I’m watching the anime is that the people at Mappa really really want to bang Gojo

Hell,

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

yum posted:

They gave him the sexy girl eyelashes

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Oh Snapple! posted:

Something's not more interesting just because it's what your poor reading of the situation led you to.

I am not the only one with that reading, even in this thread, so it's something that the story actively facilitated, instead of it being my own unique mistake. If it eventually leads somewhere even more interesting then cool, but I am far less intrigued about getting there than I was an episode before.

And yes, I am anime only so if you read the manga please try to resist the urge telling me how wrong I am because of something that happens x chapters in the future. :v:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I will stop bugging folks about it but I haven't talked about or referenced anything that hasn't been explicitly shown in the anime. I do want to offer a courtesy aside: I did just notice that spoiler tags don't carry through to the post history page so uh, please be wary of clicking that button!

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

yum posted:

My girlfriend’s TikTok feed is nothing but people being horny for that bit where Gojo ripped Jogo’s arm off, so I guess everyone wants a piece of the action.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I think geto being a brain bodyjacker instead of actually geto is a less compelling story than what was going with geto/gojo prior to that reveal

However, outside of hidden inventory I have pretty much never felt like the writing of jjk is worth getting invested in, so I kind of prefer this because the reveal was an effective and cool moment which is what I come to jjk for

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
People reading the manga had similar reactions. But I will say the Brain is an interesting character in his own right.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Yeah, he got magic powre and is a brain n stuff

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Gotta say, this episode showing that Getou's body still having a bit of its own will, which almost certainly becomes a factor later and that Mechamaru actually had a backup plan in case he failed to kill Mahito and Brain!Getou directly alleviated both of my big complaints I had about this season, so I feel a bit foolish. :v:

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Collapsing Farts posted:

Yeah, he got magic powre and is a brain n stuff

I was wondering if the brain is actually a curse based on the guy who created those death paintings . I liked it better a few weeks ago, but maybe it still has some legs given the reference to picking up more of the paintings.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
I am rapidly catching up with this series aft5er starting it a few days ago. It's been very good so far, great cast and action, yadda yadda. I just finished episode 27 and I am aggrieved!

Put that brain matter back in her head right now!

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

New episode was sick. It was real nice to see those fights in motion.

It's interesting that Gojo is in fact so OP he's actually a negative influence on the entire curse ecosystem.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

So it seems like the idea is that Gojo was so overpowered that both sorcerers and curses born afterwards were leveled up, or maybe their abilities were just uncapped. If so, why is there such a long gap in special grade sorcerers from Gojo and Geto to Yuta?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Maera Sior posted:

So it seems like the idea is that Gojo was so overpowered that both sorcerers and curses born afterwards were leveled up, or maybe their abilities were just uncapped. If so, why is there such a long gap in special grade sorcerers from Gojo and Geto to Yuta?

I dont think thats quite what its saying just that Gojo was such a leap in power that everyone left in the dust had to basically hide, the only ones who could operate openly had to be able to contend with Gojo in some fashion or be willing to die. So these losers were hiding in the shadows because they'd get annihilated by Gojo in a split second. Re-reading the manga chapter for this, they do say that curses began to get stronger and the balance of power was altered, but that they themselves lost their freedom. Did the disaster curses come after Gojo? He still clowned them tho.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 6, 2023

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Maera Sior posted:

The gap between special grade sorcerers/cursed spirits is basically experience, potential power and efficiency. Special Grade is just “hard to classify in terms of power potential.” Gojos has maybe less raw cursed energy than Yuta. However Gojo has more experience and the killer combo of 6 eyes and limitless, and is insanely efficient with his cursed technique. Geto is as good as the amount of spirits he has on hand.

Also notably the governing families in Jjk are idiots and bad at judging power. Maki is 4th grade, Toji was not even considered.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i understood it to essentially be an escalation of warfare, more or less. gojo's existence is terrifying, but it also serves as a new upper-bound of power that everyone else is measured by. the curse spirits that are around have to wait, bide their time, and accumulate power until they can match gojo, because now there is a need to have that level of power that didn't exist before. gojo has sparked basically a curse arms race, so while there's not as many curses out and about and smaller fry like this guy are pretty stuck, there's also a lot of curses who have spent years preparing for the day that they have to meet a gojo-level threat. the analogy used was an athletic record being broken spurring more athletes to try to break the new record - those guys certainly aren't all faster on the track because of magic or w/e

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

But didn't someone say in the first season that sorcerers were getting more powerful? Wouldn't that imply that it's not just spirits getting more powerful as a result of his existence? That it literally is some sort of magic/balancing force/whatever?

ETA: Going back to the figure skating analogy, it's not that the skaters weren't trying until someone managed more rotations. It's that once one person has figured it out, everyone else has a model to work from, so of course it goes faster for everyone else. It would sort of work if Gojo was teaching them to hit that level of power, but it's pretty much said that it started as soon as he was born, and Yuta already had a terrifying amount of power before meeting Gojo.

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 6, 2023

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i mean, i recall in the first season that they didn't have enough sorcerers to cover all of the high grade curses coming out of the woodwork and so lower level sorcerers were needing to be matched with curses above their level. so if there is such an effect it seems to be disproportionate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ninjewtsu posted:

i mean, i recall in the first season that they didn't have enough sorcerers to cover all of the high grade curses coming out of the woodwork and so lower level sorcerers were needing to be matched with curses above their level. so if there is such an effect it seems to be disproportionate

Though sending in first years against a potential Special Grade was noted as being bullshit.