Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

kazil posted:

First Person Sprayer

Not sure this is the one we wanna go with tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Foamy PVC Suit

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Phigs posted:

Yep that's pretty-much it. There's a default tactical fun to an ARPG as long as the game is balanced well enough and the encounters are varied enough to keep the feeling fresh throughout the game. Diablo 2 is the shooter equivalent of a standard FPS while Diablo 3 is like the shooter equivalent of a shooter where you can just run around shooting and ignoring incoming damage until oops you definitely have to use only cover and can only pop in and out or else you'll die, and sometimes you get a grenade notification and have to move to a different bit of cover. It stripped out all the middle section where the actual interacting with the mechanics of movement and space and enemies takes place.

My problem being that for as much as I really, really like Wolfenstein 3D, more than a lot of people otherwise do these days...even I get tired of "use chokepoints to funnel enemies into your gun" being the unavoidable default way to play, repeated ad nauseam across hundreds of levels. (I also just got done playing two different indie shooters that, in part, took after Wolf3D so I'm really, REALLY sick of it at this exact moment.)

Basically D3 is more immediately whizzbang press buttons do cool stuff, but eventually accelerates past the point where its combat starts to break down. But D2, for however well balanced it is, is also painfully dry and boring because it doesn't do enough beyond the basics. To me both games are missing more elaborate enemy design and interactivity/reactivity. And both rely too much on their math, just in different ways.

Volte posted:

I don't think Diablo 2 was the alpha and omega of ARPG design by a long shot, but I think it exemplified the type of ARPG that I enjoy, where you have to put in some effort to get out the biggest payout. It's a different kind of dopamine hit that comes from building something up over time and successfully achieving what you set out to do, versus the minute to minute shower of loot and green number that says +6.2%. There's been some contempt for the idea that an ARPG should ask you to put some of yourself into it in order to get something out of it, as if the ARPG concept is inherently a passive experience, and I've never seen the phrase "I just want to turn my brain off" used more often than in the space of ARPGs. I just want an ARPG to require or at least allow me to keep my brain on to some extent. My brain isn't too happy when it's turned off.

I do think ultimately our tastes align more than they don't. I'm generally a more goal oriented player, I don't necessarily want to turn my brain off, and I want more meat to a game than just flashy explosions of meaningless loot. Where I think we do differ is that I like engaging with stuff directly and in the immediate far more than long term planning. As somebody else mentioned earlier, I gobble up roguelikes because they offer the exact kind of moment to moment decision making I crave and I find them to have a better balance between skill vs. build and a very short turnaround time on putting cool stuff together and it paying off.

But on the other hand, I can and do also like slow burn character development at times. I think it just has to fit the rest of the game and ARPGs often don't support that kind of slow growth, IME. Definitely the purview of more traditional RPGs.

Edit: There's also frequently an MMO-like problem going on where they'll pretend the story mode is the main game and then as a bonus you can keep playing forever in the super duper grindy endgame. But it's screamingly obvious that story mode is actually a casual baby tutorial mode for dummies and the "real" game is all the grindy endgame poo poo. At least MMOs have the excuse of trying to keep you on the hook for a monthly fee. I want a story mode that is properly mechanically engaging, goddamnit.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 5, 2023

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
A thing I like about roguelikes vs. traditional arpgs is the impermanence of it all means there's a lot more freedom for developers to put in things that have the potential to completely break the game. As long as those sorts of things only come up occasionally, the runs where you do get something going can feel amazing, without needing to rebalance the whole game around the thing or nerf every actual interesting build into the same mediocrity as all the others. There can be a lot more interesting and game-changing effects without those effects becoming 'the meta'

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

ImpAtom posted:

Baldur's Gate 3 literally has the ability to respec any time you want for a pittance of gold (and you can steal the gold back from the guy you pay for 0 consequences anyway.) Like you chose for your example a game that is a great example of why quick and easy respecs are good.

Yeah but try it with four players coop if it was a constant thing it's an issue. Wait your not a paladin anymore? Oh poo poo!

Ymmv as doed your playgroup

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I do like having respecs be easy it's just a pain in the situations I went into when they happened to me.

It was great when I discovered one friend was doing pretty much the same combat schtick I was early and was able to shift classes and roles with none the wiser!

Id imagine my old pen and paper group which sucked would change their classes on the hour every hour but gently caress them dorks

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

thanks to whoever mentioned the fast forward button in talos, the recorder puzzles are much less annoying with that

the stars still seem overly obtuse but im just ignoring those until i get the basic ending this time

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Sprenk posted:

All I remember about Diablo 3 was every chapter's cartoon villain constantly showing up as a hologram to go "gently caress YOU NEPHALIM". I know it's dated to complain about the D3 story/writing but jesus. D2's cinematics still hold up today.

more villains should do this imo

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Call Your Grandma posted:

Only if they're written well.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

skeletronics posted:

In most shmups, at any moment, you have the choice to be shooting or not shooting. Usually, the only reason to not be shooting is to briefly get rid of some visual clutter on the screen, and the result is I pretty much always want to be shooting, so I just hold the shoot button the entire time. There have been times when I thought this really seems like a non-choice, and the game should just have me automatically shooting always without the need for a button press, but that just doesn't feel as good. Games like Vampire Survivors came along and made it feel okay, but otherwise it just feels better to me to be pushing buttons. I'd like to play a shmup game where it's inverted so you only press the button to stop shooting. I wonder how that would feel.
There are games where you are rewarded for pacifism runs.

The Lone Badger posted:

Someone make a game where number go down.
You have absorbed the Demon King's power and need to erode it away to prevent his resurrection. Your goal is to reduce your 'power' rating from 1000 down to 0. Various arbitrary objectives and quests will reduce it by a chunk, but that will leave you unable to handle the areas you have been adventuring in and need to explore and find new lower-level areas. Plus you can't lift your Grand Sword of Slaying +15 any more and need to find something lighter and shittier.
There is a Shining Force mod that starts everyone at max and lose levels as they kill enemies. Goes as well as to be expected with gamers.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

all the best villains already do

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

they should but they should do it instead of stopping all action for an in-engine cutscene every ten minutes instead of on top of.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Well hot drat! Now that MiMiMi is no more, and Shadow Gambit was something of a disappointment that seemed a bit rushed, there is still hope for small scale tactics games. A new game in the Commandos series has been announced!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHA9IAN3ZX8

Orv
May 4, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Well hot drat! Now that MiMiMi is no more, and Shadow Gambit was something of a disappointment that seemed a bit rushed, there is still hope for small scale tactics games. A new game in the Commandos series has been announced!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHA9IAN3ZX8

Right on schedule, interestingly. It was announced three years ago and they've said literally nothing since, which isn't really a sign one way or another but, look. I like a lot of the games Kalypso has put out over the years but they're pretty synonymous with some high end jank and I'm a bit wary here. Though I suppose, to be fair, if you told me that someone was going to get JA3 right I wouldn't have believed you either, so let's see.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

More protagonists should.

50 Cent innovated one of the most important features in games and everyone just ignored him.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
At this point I'll take anything with that small time tactics feel.

I jumped on Shadow Gambit when it was released, as I'd loved everything MiMiMi had done previously, but it didn't hit right. It has solid bones, but the scope was limited. There are only a handful of levels, and the game really wants you to replay each of them about 6 or 7 times. Each replay has different goals, but on the ground you'd be hard pressed to notice any difference between runs in each level. That, and every level pretty much looks like every other level. You're pirates, so you visit the tropical piratey islands, and the next level is a different tropical piratey island, and then then next is.... a tropical piratey island.

Considering MiMiMi closed right after it was released, I'm assuming at some point they had to limit what they could do with the game, padded it out with replaying the same levels over and over, and had to shove it out the door so they could recoup some money for severance packages and all that.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

At this point I'll take anything with that small time tactics feel.

I jumped on Shadow Gambit when it was released, as I'd loved everything MiMiMi had done previously, but it didn't hit right. It has solid bones, but the scope was limited. There are only a handful of levels, and the game really wants you to replay each of them about 6 or 7 times. Each replay has different goals, but on the ground you'd be hard pressed to notice any difference between runs in each level. That, and every level pretty much looks like every other level. You're pirates, so you visit the tropical piratey islands, and the next level is a different tropical piratey island, and then then next is.... a tropical piratey island.

Considering MiMiMi closed right after it was released, I'm assuming at some point they had to limit what they could do with the game, padded it out with replaying the same levels over and over, and had to shove it out the door so they could recoup some money for severance packages and all that.

That's fair, yeah. I liked Shadow Gambit but also didn't want to engage with that whole deal of replaying all that much.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
I just played the demo for Phantom Fury, the (kinda) sequel to Ion Fury and, drat, this... isn't very good lol. Boring, unimaginative everything. It doesn't help that the demo level is a train so there's no exploration but it's the most paint by numbers crap I've played in ages. Shame. Ion Fury Aftershock was great.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

SavageMessiah posted:

I just played the demo for Phantom Fury, the (kinda) sequel to Ion Fury and, drat, this... isn't very good lol. Boring, unimaginative everything. It doesn't help that the demo level is a train so there's no exploration but it's the most paint by numbers crap I've played in ages. Shame. Ion Fury Aftershock was great.

play Turbo Overkill or Cultic

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg1EfTg-F1M

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Anybody try Lamplighter’s League yet? I was really looking forward to Indiana Jones XCOM but the current reviews seem to suggest it wasn’t quite ready for launch yet.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

OzFactor posted:

Anybody try Lamplighter’s League yet? I was really looking forward to Indiana Jones XCOM but the current reviews seem to suggest it wasn’t quite ready for launch yet.

Sounds like hbs is in trouble, which is a pity, they did some very good stuff

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

SavageMessiah posted:

Hwurmp posted:

play Turbo Overkill or Cultic

Yeah the reaction to Phantom Fury's demo has been almost universally negative. I wonder if the devs are gonna take the feedback to heart or just push ahead with what they've got.

Seconding the recommendations for Cultic and Turbo Overkill; they're both phenomenal.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm actually surprised by this one, American Arcadia has a November 15th release date. given that it was only introduced at last year's E3 i would have easily expected this one to be a 2024 title.

Countzer
May 27, 2022

OzFactor posted:

I was kind of interested in it given HBS' previous output but pricing it at 50 euro then having the balls of gating a character behind day-1 DLC at 8 euro has definitely given me a bad first impression.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i played straight through shadow gambit over the course of a few days, so i'm totally over that game for now. i guess i'll see how much i like it when i inevitably go back for the challenges that aren't complete bullshit.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

sebmojo posted:

Sounds like hbs is in trouble, which is a pity, they did some very good stuff

That’s a drat shame. I loved all their Shadowrun stuff, and the gameplay of battletech was phenomenal.

Lamp Lighter’s doesn’t have much of a sales pitch behind it. Indiana Jones x-com? If it wasn’t hbs I never would have looked.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

K8.0 posted:

More protagonists should.

50 Cent innovated one of the most important features in games and everyone just ignored him.

I will forever maintain that Blood in the Sand was a more powerful commentary on American imperialism and militarism and meta commentary on gaming than spec ops the line

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

How is Ghostwire Tokyo? I see it is part of Twitch Prime this month (to activate on the EGS).

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ZearothK posted:

How is Ghostwire Tokyo? I see it is part of Twitch Prime this month (to activate on the EGS).

Generic gameplay of a modern western AAA game but with a japanese setting.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

For $0 I think it’s worth checking out. It’s got some solid vibes if you’re into the aesthetic.

Loren
Nov 9, 2005
Master of Chaos
Ghostwire got an update that added a haunted school sequence that was massively fun and genuinely scary at times. Also the game has cute magical cats as item vendors.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

ZearothK posted:

I really liked it.

It's about using magic and arrows to fight various yokai in an empty Tokyo. The gameplay basically peaks early and doesn't really change, and it's ubi-like in that it's a big map with lots of stuff to collect. The devs put a lot of love into the map, though, and I liked how Japanese it was. Some of the side missions are genuinely very good too.

Countzer
May 27, 2022
I found Ghostwire's aesthetic to be kind of cool but everything else about it meandering. The gameplay is okay, you can do some fun parkouring, the story is whole lotta nothing (I played the game half a year ago and don't really remember much about it). It's fine to turn the brain off and run around tokyo dealing with various japanese mythological creatures, but not much else.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Countzer posted:

I was kind of interested in it given HBS' previous output but pricing it at 50 euro then having the balls of gating a character behind day-1 DLC at 8 euro has definitely given me a bad first impression.
It's on Game Paaaaassss :siren:

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Lamp Lighter’s doesn’t have much of a sales pitch behind it. Indiana Jones x-com? If it wasn’t hbs I never would have looked.

What an odd thing to say

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Countzer posted:

Yeah I saw that and decided to wishlist it for when it's $15 on Steam sale in a year or whatever

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Pwnstar posted:

What an odd thing to say

Yeah seriously 'Indiana Jones XCOM' is instantly fascinating. Maybe I'm just old. I mean I'm definitely just old.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Future Video GamesUK posted:

Yeah seriously 'Indiana Jones XCOM' is instantly fascinating. Maybe I'm just old. I mean I'm definitely just old.

It's a great idea and the good news is that reviews are pretty uniformly positive on the aesthetic front (visuals, voice work, and music). It just seems to have technical problems, which is hopefully something that can be fixed. Provided they are allowed to fix it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It probably doesn't help that Indiana Jones these days is associated with sad old men wishing they were dead.