Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
Useless pedals that make it "legally" allowed to be on the same path as pedestrians and cyclists is such a dick move and is only going to cause more regulation around all ebikes when someone slams into a pedestrian on what is basically a motorcycle.

Edit: Just put schwalbe pick-up tires on my HSD and it's a noticeable difference in ride quality, these tires feel like they were built specifically for cargo bikes (cause they were), highly recommend.

raggedphoto fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Okay that sounds like a Canada law, pedals and 32 kph.

I used an app to change my kick scooter's top speed from 25kph to 30kph. It was not much faster but gave a lot more torque off the line.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

raggedphoto posted:

Edit: Just put schwalbe pick-up tires on my HSD and it's a noticeable difference in ride quality, these tires feel like they were built specifically for cargo bikes (cause they were), highly recommend.
what’d you have before?

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
Schwalbe Big apple on the front and Big Ben on the back, I don't know why it came with two different tires but they held up well enough. I think I even recommended the Big Apple in the past but I started getting flats from broken glass pretty frequently as the tread wore down. The Pick ups have a stiffer ride but feel so much sturdier, like the bike now has boots on instead of flip flops.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Big apples feel good, but I felt like I had to often adjust the pressure to the load to have a good ride. Too high and I bounce all over the place. Too low and corners are sketchy.

Perfectly fine on an every day bike, but not for something where the load might change 150lbs any given ride.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
I felt the same, I had to dial in the pressure before I felt confident cornering hard... 42 PSI was my sweet spot.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

raggedphoto posted:

Useless pedals that make it "legally" allowed to be on the same path as pedestrians and cyclists is such a dick move and is only going to cause more regulation around all ebikes when someone slams into a pedestrian on what is basically a motorcycle.
100% this. Shithead motorcyclists pulling the "but it's actually a bike, look at these fake pedals :smuggo:" card is going to ruin things for everyone if it's not slapped down.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cugel the Clever posted:

100% this. Shithead motorcyclists pulling the "but it's actually a bike, look at these fake pedals :smuggo:" card is going to ruin things for everyone if it's not slapped down.

I fully agree, but don't know a good way to draw a better line.

Limits on electric bicycle mass, or maybe even just battery mass? That seems like a good way to do it for now. The existing speed limits clearly don't work without enforcement against manufacturers who are acting in bad faith. Those emmos have a little wire labelled "do not unplug" that disables the speed limiter. Everything else still works though, including the speedo.

I was equally furious that New York was considering allowing 4 foot wide quadricycles to use the bike lane: https://gothamist.com/news/wider-cargo-e-bikes-could-be-coming-to-nyc-streets

These aren't bicycles! Stop calling 4 wheeled vehicles bicycles!

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
E-bikes with limits that can be trivially disabled should just be classified as motorcycles.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Twerk from Home posted:

I was equally furious that New York was considering allowing 4 foot wide quadricycles to use the bike lane: https://gothamist.com/news/wider-cargo-e-bikes-could-be-coming-to-nyc-streets

These aren't bicycles! Stop calling 4 wheeled vehicles bicycles!

I only saw these expensive quad once or twice. But I see they use the GSD to pull box trailers everyday in Manhattan. A bike with a big trailer is as big as the quad bike, and slower. Although you can argue they are lower so they don't block your views.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
How fast do they go. If they can go 30 or 35 kph they're likely not going to hugely affect traffic in most cities downtown cores if they just use the normal streets.

I try to avoid riding my ebike outside of bike lanes when I'm downtown, but when I do and go full assist at around 35 I keep up well enough. Cars get mad because you take three seconds later to be at the next stop light, but with a bigger body that takes more space I'd be less concerned.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

My wife and I are about to get our Aventon Level.2s this week.

We have always been super wary of any sort of street riding because our city is a car hell world. This isn't the reason we got them, but I'm wondering if anyone has ever felt more confident in street riding since getting their ebikes. My main concern with the street is the ability to get up to speed quickly from a stop, and of course maintaining speed up a hill. There are a lot of hills in my area.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

More confident, sure, but still much prefer to stick to dedicated bike paths/lanes where possible.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Zapf Dingbat posted:

We have always been super wary of any sort of street riding because our city is a car hell world. This isn't the reason we got them, but I'm wondering if anyone has ever felt more confident in street riding since getting their ebikes..

Yes, absolutely. That's a major reason why I added the motor kit in the first place and why I control it via throttle even though that's technically illegal.

When I'm on bike paths or similar I go a reasonable bike speed and barely use the throttle, but if I'm on the road riding in car lanes I use way more power so I can keep up with traffic. I also carefully plan my routes so I don't end up on major roads cause yeah, those are no fun.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think being able to clear intersections quickly using the throttle is a legitimate safety improvement.

I am less convinced about the idea that you should go 30mph on an ebike so you can have the same speed as car traffic

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Zapf Dingbat posted:

This isn't the reason we got them, but I'm wondering if anyone has ever felt more confident in street riding since getting their ebikes. My main concern with the street is the ability to get up to speed quickly from a stop, and of course maintaining speed up a hill. There are a lot of hills in my area.

Compared to a normal bike, I do feel more at ease taking the full lane in block to block stop light scenarios.

If someone is barreling down on you and not paying attention, you're gonna get hit either way. That is to say, nothing can really prevent that kind of collision.

With riding time (ebike or not), you get more physically adept at looking behind you at the right moments, without steering the bike one way or the other. That's probably the only practical skill to develop.
And you get better at listening for how many cars are behind you and how far back.

The only other major survival skill is preparing to stop quickly for cars you see wandering over to the right lane to either double park or to turn without signaling.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

mystes posted:

I am less convinced about the idea that you should go 30mph on an ebike so you can have the same speed as car traffic

After 15+ years of bike commuting on city streets both with and without an ebike, I'm very convinced. I trust my own riding skills much more than random drivers blowing by me at twice my speed.

I'm not doing this constantly or anything, on my 25 minute commute I'm going hard for maybe 4-5 min total split between a few short segments. It's super situational but sometimes it makes sense to go fast for a bit, and if the posted speed limit is more than 25-30 mph I just don't ride there.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The fact that you can comfortably accelerate to 25+ miles to keep up with the local traffic between redlights.

Whenever a car doublepark on the bike lane, I just follow squarely behind the moving car, I don't have to worry about moving too slow to block the car behind me.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

stephenthinkpad posted:

No way their top speed are 32 kmph, are you sure? I can't find the stat on their page. Some of the models are 72v. I would think around 35-40 mph.

But it's only a 500w motor. 72v setups are usually for motors that are like 3000w. 1500w BBSHD's run on 52v or 48v. I don't know what kind of 500w motor runs on 72v, but that sounds like a bad idea even if they did manage to develop a controller to make it work. Lots of red flags on these listings.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Zapf Dingbat posted:

My wife and I are about to get our Aventon Level.2s this week.

We have always been super wary of any sort of street riding because our city is a car hell world. This isn't the reason we got them, but I'm wondering if anyone has ever felt more confident in street riding since getting their ebikes. My main concern with the street is the ability to get up to speed quickly from a stop, and of course maintaining speed up a hill. There are a lot of hills in my area.

Yeah, have a Level.2 and it's a plenty to keep up/pace downtown traffic even without setting it to class 3 mode. Upright posture and brake lights are also reassuring in traffic. My commute is flat, but it did a hill okay with downshifting and adding human effort. 45mph bike lanes still suck, but at least you're only in them half as long as you would on an acoustic.

acidx posted:

But it's only a 500w motor. 72v setups are usually for motors that are like 3000w. 1500w BBSHD's run on 52v or 48v. I don't know what kind of 500w motor runs on 72v, but that sounds like a bad idea even if they did manage to develop a controller to make it work. Lots of red flags on these listings.

Yeah, 500w moves the above 70lb pedal-assist (48v) ebike pretty good, but another 100+ lbs and no pedal assist would be pretty dogshit.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Petition to ban the word acoustic when referring a bicycle

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
carbon-powered bike

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

stephenthinkpad posted:

carbon-powered bike

cabron powered bike

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Petition to ban the word acoustic when referring a bicycle
False—this is the only true terminology

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

stephenthinkpad posted:

carbon-powered bike
pasta powered mostly. often cake.

mystes
May 31, 2006

stephenthinkpad posted:

carbonara-powered bike

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

in a well actually posted:

cabron powered bike

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

cabron powered bike

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Well just bought a Benno Boost. My wife's car is on its last legs and we don't know if it will survive another Minnesota winter. Instead of getting a new(er) car for her we are going to try one car and one ebike. Just got to add a dropper seat post so we can change the height of the seat quickly.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

karthun posted:

survive another Minnesota winter.

Maybe this is topical, but be sure to keep the battery at room temperature for as much of the time as possible to help preserve its life.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

cabron powered bike

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

karthun posted:

Well just bought a Benno Boost. My wife's car is on its last legs and we don't know if it will survive another Minnesota winter. Instead of getting a new(er) car for her we are going to try one car and one ebike. Just got to add a dropper seat post so we can change the height of the seat quickly.

Congrats! Wife and I went down to one car when I bought the HSD a little over a year ago and so far so good but it certainly wouldn't work for everyone.

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

Saukkis posted:

E-bikes with limits that can be trivially disabled should just be classified as motorcycles.

That would cause an immense amount of red tape, licensing fees, impose enormous restrictions on usage and implementation, new infrastructure (signage, designated lanes). Ebikes cannot go fast enough to use highways or parkways with speed limits in excess of 50-60kmh, and yet would require the same steps to acquire as, for example, a dedicated 1200HP motorcycle...? There are millions of ebikes with larger motors that when the limit is removed still cannot go faster than 60kph, even with a dedicated bicycle drivetrain and proper pedalling capacity and e-assist. In no world does this make sense. I hate those stupid moped bikes too, but this would be so detrimental to most e-bicycle owners that this would affect.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

karthun posted:

It’s good, I’m putting a flat bar and a reasonable saddle on mine but otherwise it feels solid. I carry a longboard 20 miles a day with no issue, other than the battery.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Huggybear posted:

That would cause an immense amount of red tape, licensing fees, impose enormous restrictions on usage and implementation, new infrastructure (signage, designated lanes). Ebikes cannot go fast enough to use highways or parkways with speed limits in excess of 50-60kmh, and yet would require the same steps to acquire as, for example, a dedicated 1200HP motorcycle...? There are millions of ebikes with larger motors that when the limit is removed still cannot go faster than 60kph, even with a dedicated bicycle drivetrain and proper pedalling capacity and e-assist. In no world does this make sense. I hate those stupid moped bikes too, but this would be so detrimental to most e-bicycle owners that this would affect.

We already have a category of vehicle that has historically had gas motors, is able to go 30mph, gets favorable insurance treatment, and doesn't require a motorcycle license in most states despite being a two wheeled motor vehicle.

I don't understand at all why the market has delivered a lot of really awful bicycles but doesn't seem able to make the electric equivalent of a 50cc scooter.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

We already have a category of vehicle that has historically had gas motors, is able to go 30mph, gets favorable insurance treatment, and doesn't require a motorcycle license in most states despite being a two wheeled motor vehicle.

I don't understand at all why the market has delivered a lot of really awful bicycles but doesn't seem able to make the electric equivalent of a 50cc scooter.
I don't think there are technical reasons, but are 30mph electric mopeds without pedals and with throttles legal without a motorcycle license anywhere in the us?

There is clearly some demand since people are doing that illegally, but maybe there isn't enough interest in mopeds generally to get the laws changed to make it legal.

mystes fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 7, 2023

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

mystes posted:

I don't think there are technical reasons, but are 30mph electric mopeds without pedals and with throttles legal anywhere in the us?

I'm only closely familiar with Texas and Tennessee, Texas law says that as long as the vehicle is limited to 30mph and its motor displaces less than 50cc you're good to go.

The segment certainly exists, there's gas scooter shops everywhere and 50cc scooters used cost more than 100+ cc scooters because you don't need a motorcycle license for a 50cc scoot because of these laws.

Where's the electric version of
https://powersports.honda.com/motorcycle/scooter/metropolitan ?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm only closely familiar with Texas and Tennessee, Texas law says that as long as the vehicle is limited to 30mph and its motor displaces less than 50cc you're good to go.
So are you saying that electric mopeds are legal under that law? It seems unclear at best. Some states have separate definitions that apply to electric scooter type things and those laws usually have lower speed limits like 20mph so anything that goes over that could be illegal.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/honda/em1-e/2024/ you just can't buy it in the us (because it's presumably illegal in most places or unclear in the rest)

mystes fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Oct 7, 2023

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

mystes posted:

So are you saying that electric mopeds are legal under that law? It seems unclear at best. Some states have separate definitions that apply to electric scooter type things and those laws usually have lower speed limits like 20mph so anything that goes over that could be illegal.

Yes, absolutely they'd be legal assuming that it's been legally imported as a motor vehicle and conforms to such requirements: https://www.nhtsa.gov/importing-vehicle/importation-and-certification-faqs-0

quote:

The importer of a small motor scooter must file an HS-7 Declaration form with Customs at the time of entry on which it must declare whether the motor scooter is a “motor vehicle,” and if so, whether it complies with all applicable FMVSS. If the motor scooter is capable of a top speed of 20 mph or greater and is equipped with components (such as lights, mirrors, and turn signals) that are needed for on-road use, NHTSA will regard it as a “motor vehicle.” To be imported without restriction, a motor vehicle must be manufactured to comply with all applicable FMVSS and bear a label certifying such compliance that is permanently affixed by the vehicle’s original manufacturer.

This happens for all of the awful Chinese scooters that sell for $900 new to college students who don't know better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

Yes, absolutely they'd be legal assuming that it's been legally imported as a motor vehicle and conforms to such requirements: https://www.nhtsa.gov/importing-vehicle/importation-and-certification-faqs-0

This happens for all of the awful Chinese scooters that sell for $900 new to college students who don't know better.
I don't think this affects whether it would be legal under state law? But if they're legal in Texas and people can import them then I guess they should show up soon enough. There seem to be several other companies making them in addition to Honda.

mystes fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 7, 2023