Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

skooma512 posted:

I didn't care for Second Front. It gets the ASL system right I suppose

skooma512 posted:

but it's really difficult.

????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I guess I was expecting a more gentle ramp up? Maybe the first couple would have you be more overmatched with more troops to absorb losses.

In the first scenario I'm given presumably the bare minimum of troops to complete this and not even a mortar for smoke or anything.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is XCOM 2 an acceptable response

Alternatively, Second Front

ah i forgot about that one, i have already played it -_-

has anyone tried wargroove?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/607050/Wargroove/

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

AnimeIsTrash posted:

ah i forgot about that one, i have already played it -_-

has anyone tried wargroove?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/607050/Wargroove/

haven't played it but all my friends who loved Advance Wars played it and said it was crap

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

If xcom counts then wouldn't Jagged Alliance?

The new one had hype for a week or two before vanishing.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
it was pretty good but I think then bg3 came out shortly after so

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

John Charity Spring posted:

haven't played it but all my friends who loved Advance Wars played it and said it was crap

I wouldn't say "crap", but not as good/fun as AW.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Reminder tat Long War for the xcom 2 expansion is fully complete and polished and if you want 1.13 levels of content theres the Mod Jam collection thats a big, highly integrated megamod that goes over it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Reminder tat Long War for the xcom 2 expansion is fully complete and polished and if you want 1.13 levels of content theres the Mod Jam collection thats a big, highly integrated megamod that goes over it

you can't just say this without dropping a link to it

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

you can't just say this without dropping a link to it

It got a workshop release https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2683996590

Mod jam is here https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2684079953

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
My strategy gaming hot take is that xcom long war's tactical combat is much improved good fun and the long war strategic stuff is the most boring and pointless poo poo I've ever experienced in a strategy game ever

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
long was strategic stuff is fun if a bit tedious.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Long war is better in every way imo

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
long war has a strategic layer. Its the difference between a total war game and an rts with a linear story campaign.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Slavvy posted:

Long war is better in every way imo

i remember for the longest time the xcom thread despised long war and would get mad when people posted about it, even into 2015 ish when there were only like a post a week bc people were completely done with vanilla xcom and the only people still playing were playing long war

it got really weird at times bc goons seemed convinced that the long war devs themselves were terrible people bc they didn’t build another version of the mod to cater to vanilla players even though xcom was basically unmoddable and the mod was somehow made entirely through hex editing and the like

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
the Long War team made Terra Invicta which is one of the most insanely, impressively ambitious games I have ever seen, it's what you would get if you took one of those dream 'perfect game' ideas you came up with when you were eleven and gave it a budget and a dev team

it mostly fails at meeting those ambitions, but they aimed so goddamn high that the result is still honestly pretty compelling

the game is simultaneously a turn-based Illuminati-simulator grand strategy game where secret societies jockey for control of the Earth's governments from behind the scenes and a hard sci-fi 4x space strategy game with Newtonian spaceflight, a full orbital mechanics simulation, and tactical fleet combat, each of them with enough poo poo stuffed into them to be an entire game all on their own, both running concurrently, and both of them janky and a bit busted

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Mister Bates posted:

the Long War team made Terra Invicta which is one of the most insanely, impressively ambitious games I have ever seen, it's what you would get if you took one of those dream 'perfect game' ideas you came up with when you were eleven and gave it a budget and a dev team

it mostly fails at meeting those ambitions, but they aimed so goddamn high that the result is still honestly pretty compelling

the game is simultaneously a turn-based Illuminati-simulator grand strategy game where secret societies jockey for control of the Earth's governments from behind the scenes and a hard sci-fi 4x space strategy game with Newtonian spaceflight, a full orbital mechanics simulation, and tactical fleet combat, each of them with enough poo poo stuffed into them to be an entire game all on their own, both running concurrently, and both of them janky and a bit busted

yeah I don’t blame them for aiming high especially back in the lw1 days when they were reverse engineering the game to mod it and came up with mechanics that beat out most total conversions in terms of ambition

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Mister Bates posted:

Terra Invicta is not really fun

I spent quite a bit of time playing hoping for....more, but it really really is an early access unfinished game

the early game is ok and I think the crowning moment is maybe 5 or so in game years in when you figure out enough on ship construction that you beat the first alien fleet. I did so by doing what amounts to strapping a bunch of nuke launchers onto a Rocket and just spammed nukes at a couple of alien destroyers and blowing them up looked and felt spectacular: the game even has an event congratulating you on it.

But afterwards the game just gets more and more tedious and just comes down to "have you figured out the ship design that can kill the alien fleet" cuz if you haven't and lose a fleet it takes forever to get resources to build another one. And the game gets very very repetitive.

there's also a lot of poo poo that just don't make sense

like for instance to build lunar base at beginning of the game you have to have enough rockets to send said material to the moon. Great very realistic, the logistics of moving construction material across the solar system is hardly trivial

Except once you start generating resources outside of the earth in the mid-game the resources generated just go into a generic resource pool which teleports to anywhere you need it in the solar system. So the rare metal you mined on the moon instantly gets teleported to the Pluto Orbtial shipyards if you are building a ship there

Also the way you farm research in the game is by building space labs on orbital station/mars etc. And those research stations are much much more efficient than earth-based ones. Even for poo poo like "information science", why the gently caress does researching computers get faster if I'm doing it in orbit instead of on earth?

it's wildly inconsistent and really really breaks the immersion of what is supposed to be hard sci-fi game

The game kept me going for -a lot- longer than it should have: because I kept expecting -something- to happen but no nothing breaks the tedium

Typo has issued a correction as of 19:22 on Oct 5, 2023

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://store.steampowered.com/app/784150/Workers__Resources_Soviet_Republic/

Workers and Resources Soviet Republic on sale at 35% off until October 19th.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Mister Bates posted:

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Speaking of wildly ambitious EA grand strategy games, has anyone touched Grand Tactician: Civil War? It looks intriguing

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Fuligin posted:

Speaking of wildly ambitious EA grand strategy games, has anyone touched Grand Tactician: Civil War? It looks intriguing

It shows a lot of promise but needs a lot of work.

It has a fun 'create your own alt history setup' mechanic where you can mix-and-match various starting conditions for both sides, allowing you to, for example, start with a Union that is much more committed to radical abolitionism than it was historically, or a Confederacy in which American filibusters successfully annexed a bunch of Central American territories as slave states, or one in which the US decided to stop pursuing the Indian Wars or the Confederates never sought out Native alliances, and even some really out-there wacky changes like 'what if the South was actually more industrialized than the North?'

There's also some variety in the way the war shapes out during play - you can, for example, ram through abolition extremely early as the Union if you focus on it, significantly hardening the Confederates' resolve and will to fight in exchange for doing the same to your own side, as well as massively hamstringing the Southern economy (slavery is tracked in the economy simulation and the Confederates really are dependent on it). The UK, France, and Spain can all also potentially enter the war in certain circumstances.

Once you start you have complete control over your chosen side's strategy, focused almost exclusively on the military side of things. There is actually an economic simulation at work there, ticking away, but you have basically no power to directly control it, the player's abilities are limited mostly to the conduct of the war, and certain political decisions. You have full control over the entire military of whichever side you play as, land and naval forces, along with the logistical train needed to keep them running. You raise and organize units, assign them equipment (and have the option to design their uniforms using a variety of historically-accurate styles and colors, because they know their audience), group them into formations, move those formations around the world map, and smash them into each other to take or hold territory.

When the smashing happens it zooms down to a real-time-with-pause, 3D tactical battle between the opposing armies. There are a lot of interesting ideas here - orders are not relayed instantly and a runner has to physically go direct a unit to do something, for example (it's not even abstracted, you can literally watch them go deliver the message, and if they're prevented from getting there somehow the order does not go through), so managing large battles can get really challenging really quickly - but it is mostly your typical Civil War shootmans action, with all the bells and whistles you would expect.

Where it falls apart is the AI, which is better now than it was in earlier releases but still quite bad. Strategically it doesn't really understand what it's doing and will make some very questionable decisions. Tactically it is very bad at protecting its flanks, often fails to recognize key terrain and abandons it to the enemy without a fight, likes to position its artillery in very stupid places, and seems to vacillate between too passive (sitting there and letting you roll up its flank without reacting) and too aggressive (massed infantry charge uphill across open ground into your prepared defensive position).

That having been said, there's still some fun to be had out of it even in its current state, and when it's done I think it'll be really good.

Mister Bates has issued a correction as of 23:38 on Oct 5, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The update that came with the DLC unfortunately broke it pretty badly. It was in a pretty good, albeit sort of buggy state, but now jfc.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Regiments is getting procedural operations, airmobile infantry, and the French, Czechs, Dutch, and Canadians now.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Minenfeld! posted:

Regiments is getting procedural operations, airmobile infantry, and the French, Czechs, Dutch, and Canadians now.

Hell yes. Regiments is one of my all time favorites; the right mix of customization of your organization yet it's kept focused by points/available Task Forces. The one OP where you just take a bunch of T-64's and wreck the jellied eel eating Brits is fun as hell.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Minenfeld! posted:

4CMBG 4lyfe. I think it's been slightly ahead of WARNO for a while now tbh.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

4CMBG 4lyfe. I think it's been slightly ahead of WARNO for a while now tbh.

True, but then WARNO is a slightly different breed as it's focus is primarily on PvP. Though I'll definitely give it a go once they have the co-op campaigns in.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I'd prefer motorized infantry and towed equipment more than airmobile but just having procedural operations has me stoked.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

BadOptics posted:

I wouldn't say "crap", but not as good/fun as AW.

yeah for sure, its fun though

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

speaking of, in my search for a new tactical strategy game i found out that battle for wesnoth is still around

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

AnimeIsTrash posted:

speaking of, in my search for a new tactical strategy game i found out that battle for wesnoth is still around

I thought of that one when you asked, but I figured it wouldn't count as modern since it's been around for what, 20 years or so?

I played it a lot and beat several campaigns a decade ago. I wonder what's changed since.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Mister Bates posted:

has it not improved since release? I was kinda hoping one day it would just get updated into being the one 4x to rule them all.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The simulated solar system and orbital mechanics in Terra Invicta were wild to hear about. I keep waiting for an Expanse or Gundam mod that focuses on that layer to be announced.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

AnimeIsTrash posted:

it doesn't have the plot/character stuff of Fire Emblem/Tactics Ogre/Triangle Strategy but you could try Battle Brothers, in terms of turn based tactical strategy it's hard to beat

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

John Charity Spring posted:

it doesn't have the plot/character stuff of Fire Emblem/Tactics Ogre/Triangle Strategy but you could try Battle Brothers, in terms of turn based tactical strategy it's hard to beat

every time i see the title of that game I hear indrick boreale shouting it

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

You maniacs made me get Workers & Resources. drat you all!!

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

So i punted on Grand Tactician after the mid goon-vibes and picked up Flashpoint Operations: Southern Storm. Its a blast, exactly what i was hoping Armored Brigade would be more-like. Definitely the best counter-shuffler ive played since DC: Ardennes

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Fuligin posted:

So i punted on Grand Tactician after the mid goon-vibes and picked up Flashpoint Operations: Southern Storm. Its a blast, exactly what i was hoping Armored Brigade would be more-like. Definitely the best counter-shuffler ive played since DC: Ardennes

I was excited to check that out but then I saw that Matrix is asking $110 of His Majesty's Australian Dollareedoos

Bit steep honestly

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Endman posted:

I was excited to check that out but then I saw that Matrix is asking $110 of His Majesty's Australian Dollareedoos

Bit steep honestly

Whoa
I assume thats with giant hardback manual, on steam it was 40$
E: oh australian. U might be f'ed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

my dad posted:

I thought of that one when you asked, but I figured it wouldn't count as modern since it's been around for what, 20 years or so?

I played it a lot and beat several campaigns a decade ago. I wonder what's changed since.

I think it's abandonware so there's a lot of mod campaigns, some of which can get pretty weird. And there used to be a small but active multiplayer community out there as well.