Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Jacques Rougeau tried to get Steen to sign one of those. And I'm pretty sure Kevin was a minor.

Ding ding ding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

stab posted:

Ding ding ding

It was really kind of Jacques to try to get Kevin into a contract and prevent him from being taken advantage of.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

It was really kind of Jacques to try to get Kevin into a contract and prevent him from being taken advantage of.

Lmao jacques was 100% doing it to control Kevin, control his bookings, and get a cut. Kev was absolutely going to be taken advantage of, by Jacques.

Source: me, when Kevin literally explained it to me

Edit: gently caress jacques

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
As I recall Kevin was pulled from a dark match with WWE because he said no

I believe mrt was being facetious, stab

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

MRT has never been insincere in their lives, how dare you

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

stab posted:

Lmao jacques was 100% doing it to control Kevin, control his bookings, and get a cut. Kev was absolutely going to be taken advantage of, by Jacques.

Source: me, when Kevin literally explained it to me

Edit: gently caress jacques

Jacques knew Kevin was a young child and that only a man as honest and selfless as Jacques could protect this impressionable lad.

History Comes Inside! posted:

MRT has never been insincere in their lives, how dare you

Thank you.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I feel like the whole point with Bam Bam was for the losing streak to lead to his babyface turn but yeah, they killed what heat he had with it. Losing streak storylines can really be BAD in wrestling, especially if the person is already really only a midcarder.

On losing streaks: Yes they can be awful.

But I really liked Christian's losing streak gimmick which lead to him teaming with DDP and lead to their (in my opinion), really awesome match at wrestlemania one year.

I also liked Brian Myers's losing streak that he leaned into, and was broken in a tag with his friend Zachary who still plays with dolls.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

MVP's losing streak gimmick managed to get him over huge (and also destroyed Kizarny forever, he debuted and the crowd did *not* want him to beat MVP)

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

BrigadierSensible posted:

On losing streaks: Yes they can be awful.

But I really liked Christian's losing streak gimmick which lead to him teaming with DDP and lead to their (in my opinion), really awesome match at wrestlemania one year.

I thought I was the only person in the world who really dug that match.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

Jacques knew Kevin was a young child and that only a man as honest and selfless as Jacques could protect this impressionable lad.

Thank you.

Oh well aware, just couldnt pass up an opportunity to remind everyone that Jacques is a grade A rear end in a top hat

His brother rules though

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i wish my wrestling trainer would use the profits he earned off of my bookings to pay hulk hogan to job for him

stab
Feb 12, 2003

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i wish my wrestling trainer would use the profits he earned off of my bookings to pay hulk hogan to job for him

50 000 Greenbacks to roll over

Gonna need a whole lot of indy bookings to cover that

JRIAPOS

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Wtf is this knockoff midnight express lol

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

you mean the original midnight express or another one?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Suplex Liberace posted:

you mean the original midnight express or another one?

I'm talking about cornette's of course. Glad the original version has finally shown up.

Heyman showing up to brain Cornette with a phone and Cornette blading for the weekly tbs show was funny. Thought that stuff was censored.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

I'm talking about cornette's of course. Glad the original version has finally shown up.

Heyman showing up to brain Cornette with a phone and Cornette blading for the weekly tbs show was funny. Thought that stuff was censored.

Have you gotten to Sullivan's Slaughterhouse yet? That's around the time Turner did the hard no on anything remotely resembling blood. I think possibly that's also when we get 'international objects.'

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Was it Jacques or the other one that blew all of Dynamite Kid's teeth out with a roll of quarters in his fist

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Can't believe Dusty got fired for blading when he wasn't even supposed to. What a loving mark!

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Was it Jacques or the other one that blew all of Dynamite Kid's teeth out with a roll of quarters in his fist

It was the battle of the shitheads

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

stab posted:

It was the battle of the shitheads

Yeah, if anybody had it coming it was Dynamite.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Dawgstar posted:

Have you gotten to Sullivan's Slaughterhouse yet? That's around the time Turner did the hard no on anything remotely resembling blood. I think possibly that's also when we get 'international objects.'

No. I have no idea what Sullivan's slaughter house is

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Who else has shown such talent for building stables around himself?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
The sheepherders rule

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Mr Hootington posted:

No. I have no idea what Sullivan's slaughter house is

Mick mentioned it in his book. It was the first thing Foley did on his first stint in WCW. It was a stable with Sullivan as the leader. Sullivan was supposed to be 'The Butcher' or somesuch so he would come down with a butcher's apron. But TBS refused to allow it to have blood on it. OR anything that resembled blood, like dirt. So every week Sullivan would come down to the ring with a pearly white butcher's apron, which did the gimmick absolutely no favors.

He also had a large book called 'I am in desperate need of advice' he would read to Foley during matches.

itsnews
Jul 25, 2022
Out of the 50 full episodes of Thunder in the year 2000, 20 of them had at least one handicap match. Multiple episodes featured more than one.

I thought that was an absurd fact.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
The 11-19-1988 taping of NWA-WCW has an insane memorial video of Magnum TA that is introduced by Terry and Magnum. The video is sad music over Magnun's mom looking over the ocean then in the sky you see a shirtless magnum running along the beach. This goes on for like 5 minutes until he reaches his mom and hugs her and they walk away holding hands. The beach scene was taped the summer before his accident.

Edit: the end of the episode also has a great Abdullah match with David crockett being baffled by abdullah.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 8, 2023

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
The Steiner face turn against the Varsity Club is so good.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 8, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

The Steiner face tuen against the Varsity Club is so good.

Yeah it is! Rick was super over too. Just don't look into Rick today and you'll be fine.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
scott was so over that they billed him as the steiner brothers and he was a one man tag team

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah it is! Rick was super over too. Just don't look into Rick today and you'll be fine.

I know he is a piece of poo poo. A lot of the old wrestlers are very bad people.

Doesn't mean I can't enjoy this dumbshit. The crowd chanting, warning abelism, retardo is so funny.

Edit: I'm at Clash 4: Seasons Beatings. I'm a getting a bit melancholic knowing that Dusty gets fired soon.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 8, 2023

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
The lead-up to Starrcade '88 is a mess. A bunch of matches keep getting changed.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

The Steiner face turn against the Varsity Club is so good.

i really really like rick's run here

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Clash 4 was a but of a mess, but that main event match between Midnight Express and Flair/Windham ended up being a great match.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Why did WCW switch the announcers mid-show during nitro?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

fr0id posted:

Why did WCW switch the announcers mid-show during nitro?

add excitement and maintain engagement since it was two hours

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Also Mike Tenay was good for calling things like “moves” and explaining things like “the history of wrestling” but that shits for nerds, gotta balance that out with Mongo being a bad rear end/dressing his dog in funny outfits.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I remember as a kid my favorites were tenay and Heenan and of course Schiavone. Was always happy to see zbysko sidelined for the “serious” stuff.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
End of 1988 has a the debut of Dustin Rhodes and his tag team with Kendall Windham. They aren't bad together

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Sandman McMahon posted:

Also Mike Tenay was good for calling things like “moves” and explaining things like “the history of wrestling” but that shits for nerds, gotta balance that out with Mongo being a bad rear end/dressing his dog in funny outfits.

You really didn't need this much in the second hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChrisBTY posted:

You really didn't need this much in the second hour.

Why not the second hour was basically the same as the first. Maybe with more matches in the second actually.