Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

best-of-three's are stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

No baseball tomorrow, either

That's perverse

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I would like for the Rangers to beat the Orioles and the Twins to beat the Astros. No strong preference in the NL.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

AndrewP posted:

best-of-three's are stupid
indeed, if we’re gonna stick with 6 postseason teams per league then the wild card should be one game sudden death

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

3-5-7-7 with the best teams getting a bye seems fair to me. I like it now

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Shorten the season a little so everyone isn’t utterly gassed at the end and bump wild card round to best of five.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The bigger issue is the seeding.

Teams should earn postseason entry the same way they do now. But first round seeding should be 100% by record.

Top two records get the byes. The rest go to WC.

This way, the best team in a WC round is the third best record in the league. And you guarantee that the top two records are on opposite sides of the bracket for a potential LCS matchup.

And if you make the Wildcard round just one game under this setup, it provides extra incentive for teams to be as good as possible, not just settle for an 85-win “good enough” wildcard slot. Because even if there’s a superteam in your division that makes winning the division seem impossible, you still can earn that valuable bye if you beat out the rest of your league.

This incentive is of course the reason the league will never do this.

The current system doesn’t reward regular season excellence enough, but that is what owners like about it.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 5, 2023

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

0 chance anything like that happens without eliminating/shrinking divisions.

HOWEVER.

2 divisions when the league expands. Division winners get byes, 4 wildcards as there is now

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Dinosaurs! posted:

Shorten the season a little so everyone isn’t utterly gassed at the end and bump wild card round to best of five.

Or add another off day or two between the regular season and postseason. The way the seeding works is bizarre with the huge field and I definitely think it should be by league and not division, but this is all by design so you can spend $5 on your 85-win team and get that sweet postseason revenue.

If they’re going to expand again and they really want divisions, they should collapse them into western and eastern conferences, I think.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

0 chance anything like that happens without eliminating/shrinking divisions.

HOWEVER.

2 divisions when the league expands. Division winners get byes, 4 wildcards as there is now
What do division changes have to do with it? They already moved to a more balanced schedule. And you still guarantee a postseason spot (just not a bye) with a division win, as it is now. What’s different is that to get a bye you need to be better than a bunch of teams not just one other division winner.

The league won’t go to fewer divisions for the same reason they have divisions in the first place: the optics of a team in “5th place” are better than one in “8th place”

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 5, 2023

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Seed by record, 1 game WC, 7 game DS would be perfect imo.

Also bring back game 163s, none of this tiebreaker bullshit

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Eppler just resigned as Mets GM

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

zoux posted:

Eppler just resigned as Mets GM

People are way too surprised by this. Of course he's not going to essentially take a demotion.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

bawfuls posted:

What do division changes have to do with it? They already moved to a more balanced schedule. And you still guarantee a postseason spot (just not a bye) with a division win, as it is now. What’s different is that to get a bye you need to be better than a bunch of teams not just one other division winner.

The league won’t go to fewer divisions for the same reason they have divisions in the first place: the optics of a team in “5th place” are better than one in “8th place”

Because the optics of a division winner being eliminated in a single game are even worse that that.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Things going great in Queens.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Traxis posted:

Seed by record, 1 game WC, 7 game DS would be perfect imo.

Also bring back game 163s, none of this tiebreaker bullshit
perfect

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Because the optics of a division winner being eliminated in a single game are even worse that that.
are they? A division winner just got eliminated in 2 games and it seems fine

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The central divisions are not real divisions

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

bawfuls posted:

are they? A division winner just got eliminated in 2 games and it seems fine

IMO they both suck but yes a Best of 3 is way better than a single game.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

IMO they both suck but yes a Best of 3 is way better than a single game.
Part of the appeal of a single game in my proposed format is in fact that it sucks for the teams participating in it

The purpose is to tilt the postseason more heavily in favor of the top regular season teams and provide heavy incentive to get that bye

Ideally we’d only have 4 postseason teams per league in the first place but if we’re stuck with an expanded field then it needs to reflect the nature of the sport.

Although all that said, the step from 1 to 3 games is not that significant anyway. A team that’s 57/43 to win a single game is only like 60/40 to win 2 of 3. The bigger benefit of going back to 1 imo is the schedule compression and pitching rotation penalty it imposes on the WC winners.

TL;DR: I do not feel sorry for teams that win <95 games and get bounced in a 1-game WC. Win more games and you earn the right to an actual series.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 5, 2023

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

bawfuls posted:

Part of the appeal of a single game in my proposed format is in fact that it sucks for the teams participating in it

The purpose is to tilt the postseason more heavily in favor of the top regular season teams and provide heavy incentive to get that bye

Ideally we’d only have 4 postseason teams per league in the first place but if we’re stuck with an expanded field then it needs to reflect the nature of the sport.

Although all that said, the step from 1 to 3 games is not that significant anyway. A team that’s 57/43 to win a single game is only like 60/40 to win 2 of 3. The bigger benefit of going back to 1 imo is the schedule compression and pitching rotation penalty it imposes on the WC winners.

TL;DR: I do not feel sorry for teams that win <95 games and get bounced in a 1-game WC. Win more games and you earn the right to an actual series.

First, I said optics, not math. They are very different things (regardless of the sample size you need to get to for the math to actually work out).

Second, we don't even know who the top regular season teams are because of the unbalanced schedule. How many games would the Phillies or Rays have won in either Central division this season?

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I kinda hate the three game series. A one-off at least has manufactured urgency, and a best of 5 switches up the venues. Even if a team goes down 2-0, there's at least some faint hope going back home and the higher seed has to work a little bit.

I think a good compromise would be to keep the current playoff structure, but give the 3-seed a "ghost win." It gives the lowest ranking division winner a modest advantage and potential for more rest, and makes the last team in work extra hard to advance. The 4/5 match up can be a straight best of 3 as is. I know the cheap rear end owners would likely wince at giving up the extra guaranteed home game, but maybe they could be sold on the idea of having a better chance at 3 home games, or just do some revenue sharing shenanigans, who cares?

I'd also like to see them do NFL-style re-seeding, where the #1 gets the lowest seed remaining.

Blind Pineapple fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 5, 2023

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Based on his time in Houston, we all know Correa has excellent hearing

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The schedule is a lot more balanced now than it was before. I think it is balanced enough at this point to not be a big issue.

But if your contention is that it’s still very unbalanced, then when the top two records come from the same division and are both significantly higher than the winner of the consensus-worst division, isn’t that an even stronger argument for at-large seeding?

I know the Rays looked limp this week but do we really believe that the 99-win Rays were a weaker team this year than the 87-win Twins?

I guess the better question is, are the 99-win Rays better than the 90-win Astros? To which I would answer, yes 162 games showed as much. The unbalanced schedule did not give the Rays a 9-win advantage over the Astros. The Rays had the top run differential and second best record in the AL, playing in the consensus-best AL division.

So I don’t really buy that the schedule is too imbalanced to seed a 99-win WC team higher than a 90-win division winner.

Blind Pineapple posted:

I'd also like to see them do NFL-style re-seeding, where the #1 gets the lowest seed remaining.
This is fine but if they seeded properly from the start it would be less urgent a need. I read recently that the players union proposed reseeding and the owners shot it down. If true, that really speaks to the owners knowing exactly what they’re doing with this postseason format: leaning into the chaos and devaluing the regular season so they can reduce competitive pressure and ultimately hold salaries down.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 5, 2023

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
It literally took me a full minute just now to remember who the AL Central winner was

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Recent postseason seedings under the Superior Bawfuls System:

2023AL
(1)BAL-101
(2)TB-99
————-
(6)MIN-87 @ (3)HOU-90
(5)TOR-89 @ (4)TEX-90

2023NL-unchanged

2022AL-unchanged

2022NL
(1)LA-111
(2)ATL-101
————
(6)PHI-87 @ (3)NYM-101
(5)SD-89 @ (4)STL-93
(Only the WC matchup changes here)

2021AL-unchanged

2021NL
(1)SF-107
(2)LA-106
————-
(6)CIN-83 @ (3)MIL-95
(5)ATL-88 @ (4)STL-90

2021 still only had 2 wildcards but I included it for obvious reasons. Seeding at-large only changes things significantly when there is a big reason to, ie two very strong records come out of the same division. We should want the top two records in a league to have the potential to match up in the LCS, regardless of what divisions they’re in.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
It's bullshit that there's no playoff baseball tonight or tomorrow night

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's extraordinarily relaxing.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Gorman Thomas posted:

It's bullshit that there's no playoff baseball tonight or tomorrow night

There's always Thursday Night Football.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Football? You mean that sport for filthy casuals? The one where everyone takes a full week off between games?

Just lol if you can’t watch 10x that many games in a single season.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Anderson Koopa posted:

There's always Thursday Night Football.

Is it really football if the Bears are playing?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Is it really football if the Bears are playing?

Maybe they'll win won for the Dicker

Wow, that doesn't work at all. But neither does Butkuser

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
So technically this belongs in the Offseason thread mostly but it relates to a team still in the playoffs and is also very funny, so I'll post it here

https://puckettspond.com/posts/twins-cheating-al-wild-card-blue-jays-manager

John Gibbons is mad.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

live with fruit posted:

People are way too surprised by this. Of course he's not going to essentially take a demotion.

https://twitter.com/martinonyc/status/1710086347954794576

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
congrats to john gibbons on not understanding what cheating is

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Cheating is when the other team wins. Especially if they aren't one of the big coastal market teams.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Moooooom! My brother is cheating at the video game!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I didn't know that fielders could control Pitchcom, I assumed they could only listen.

That doesn't seem correct.

Edit: Watched Gray describe it, sounds like it was called via Pitchcom by the catcher but the idea was Correa's

Popete fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 6, 2023

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Correa signaled to the dugout who relayed it to the catcher who signaled Gray via pitchcom