Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I love the new autocorrect red lining words that are completely normal and spelled correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Macichne Leainig posted:

It's supposed to be using one of those newfangled LLMs to better guess what you're writing.

As usual, for most people it doesn't work fantastically

It consistently fails to auto correct wuilted to quilted although the correct word appears in the recommendations. Even if it corrected to wilted that would at least be an actual word.

Sounds like we’ve all got some learning to do

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Ars Technica did a whole article on why 3rd party docks kept killing Switches. There's a whole mess of reasons but a big one was Nintendo was using a 6V max charging system and third party docks were using 9V. Also they were using a slightly smaller connector to make it easier to dock that apparently still met USB-C standard. In summary,

Corb3t posted:

USB C in general is a cluster.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

My brother got the new 15 Pro but his old cable wasn't connecting to his car stereo carplay so he's hoping a new cable helps. Seeing a lot of people with this issue. :(

Hopefully just a patch.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

I love the new autocorrect red lining words that are completely normal and spelled correctly.

That's intentional - it's showing that the word was auto-corrected, and tapping on the word lets you quickly choose an alternative or the way it was originally typed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

usb-a era: everyone hates this connector but at least you can't gently caress up plugging into anything and poo poo just works.

usb-c era: okay we fixed the connector issue but we got some bad news about safely using it..

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Vintersorg posted:

My brother got the new 15 Pro but his old cable wasn't connecting to his car stereo carplay so he's hoping a new cable helps. Seeing a lot of people with this issue. :(

Hopefully just a patch.

I got a cheap rear end anker usba to usbc 2 pack to replace my cheapass anker usba to lightning 2 pack and it rules. I had the flakiest connection with the lightning cable and usbc has been rock solid so far.

Also I use my switch charger to charge other poo poo and other chargers (Apple mostly) to charge my switch and have never had a problem going either way.

Usbc cables being ??? As to what data speed they handle sucks but really I feel like most people who need high speed will know to be careful to buy something that meets their requirements.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

xzzy posted:

usb-a era: everyone hates this connector but at least you can't gently caress up plugging into anything and poo poo just works.

usb-c era: okay we fixed the connector issue but we got some bad news about safely using it..
It’s almost always safe, which is good enough. It’s not always the fastest, which is also good enough.

Really, a connector just has to be good enough, and thank god the EU got us here.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

USB-A took a minimum of 3 tries to blindly plug in correctly

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

USB-A took a minimum of 3 tries to blindly plug in correctly

micro usb was the worst

or mini or what the gently caress ever it was

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

micro usb was the worst

or mini or what the gently caress ever it was

Micro is more common, but mini is a thing! It sucks even more than micro!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Mini is the worst one because when the connection is loose, the connector itself is going and not the cable so you gotta either replace the connector or the device and neither are particularly nice to replace.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ChaosArgate posted:

Mini is the worst one because when the connection is loose, the connector itself is going and not the cable so you gotta either replace the connector or the device and neither are particularly nice to replace.

Yeah and if I recall, it's rated at like an order of magnitude fewer insertions than micro.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Micro is more common, but mini is a thing! It sucks even more than micro!

Mini wasn't terrible. I liked it more than Micro.

A basic guide to USB types:
USB-A: What your external hard drive uses.
USB-B: What your printer uses.
USB-B Mini: What your PS3 controller used.
USB-Micro: What your Eneloops charger uses.
USB-C: What your phone/next phone uses.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
loving ps3 controller, man.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I lost four PS3 controllers, one to the trigger spring snapping and three to the stupid mini usb crapping out. I hate mini usb

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I have 2 and one has lost a pin from its USB port so it can't charge. When (not if) my working one dies I'm probably just getting a Mayflash.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

USB-5e: When you can’t see what you’re doing and plug the USB into the Ethernet port

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Bottom Liner posted:

Grammar correction is trash that shouldn't exist outside of an actual Word document

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

“You’re charging it wrong”

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

njsykora posted:

Mini wasn't terrible. I liked it more than Micro.

A basic guide to USB types:
USB-A: What your external hard drive uses.
USB-B: What your printer uses.
USB-B Mini: What your PS3 controller used.
USB-Micro: What your Eneloops charger uses.
USB-C: What your phone/next phone uses.

External drives usually use 3.0 Micro B now.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

External drives usually use 3.0 Micro B now.

External drives making me think of FireWire

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Dogen posted:

External drives making me think of FireWire

Zip drives for me

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
External drives never used USB-A unless you had some weird Chinese generic thing with an illegal A-A cable.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
USB-A is best described as the most common USB type on any device that isn’t a printer or handheld. Only now are PC’s, laptops, cars, etc starting to come with USB C instead of A.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Soul Glo posted:

Yeah, but phone companies still have to comply with law.

This is a bold assumption lol.

Also, I gotta say, this is anecdotal but demand for the 15 this year is way higher than I expected.

Last year it was busy, but by end of September it def was back to normal. Phones were backordered ish, but you kind of knew they would ship early.

My days are still back to back calls almost every day. Today there was about an hour where I actually had about 1 min before I would have a customer. It’s been unlimited overtime offered too (although most employees don’t take that much, maybe 2-7 hours extra a week).

Pro Maxes are backordered to end of October, the White pro max is shipping for Nov 17th.

Like, obviously it’ll die down, but I guess word is out new iPhone, and the promos are (mostly) pretty good this year.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 6, 2023

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Everyone was patiently waiting for that usb-c port to be available.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

USB-A is best described as the most common USB type on any device that isn’t a printer or handheld. Only now are PC’s, laptops, cars, etc starting to come with USB C instead of A.

USB-A is the other side of all those other ones. Except C, but also... sometimes C.

Simple!

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

The Apple silicone case on my old phone was the last one I bought and I'm just now realizing how many cases by brands I've never heard of are above $50. I assume part of this is probably just new launch/availability gouging but yeesh.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Also probably just inflation if you haven’t bought a phone case in 3-5 years

There are still cheap good ones out there tho

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

12mp digital 2x on the iPhone 15:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Nice geese

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

gently caress geese

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

gently caress geese

Geese rock

LuxuryLarva posted:

I volunteer a lot so sometimes I meet people who have lost jobs and I met this guy who lost his job at google and he used to work for the google glass division and then he started working in their AI division. After he got fired his girlfriend dumped him. One time when we were volunteering he told me that deer kept eating all the plants in his garden and I told him to get a goose because it would scare away all the deer. He got a goose egg and he got it to imprint on him and now the goose literally just follows him around his yard and it attacks his neighbors and the other day he told me that the goose scared away a date by flying into her and biting her face. I ruined this nerd's life with a goose. Computers should be illegal. Thanks for listening.

LuxuryLarva posted:

Even though I lowkey dislike the tech industry and think that tech workers have ruined my hometown by making everything too expensive I can see his humanity and will never tell him how I feel. He seems super sad on most days and has told me multiple times that even though he's been successful financially he's never really accomplished anything at work - that google got rid of every project he ever worked on - that his girlfriend only liked him because he had money. It seems like it's the only living thing that actually loves him even though it attacks the deliveryman and it leaves huge corklike turds all over his car's windshield that he has to pick out with his hands because he says they smear when he uses the wipers.

LuxuryLarva posted:

I really dislike almost everything about the tech industry but I'd be lying if it wasn't motivated by a lot of jealousy since many of those opportunities seem completely out of reach to me. I find a lot of tech people to be arrogant and sheltered and they tend to view themselves as the superego of society - like it's their job to discipline the world - and it grates on me. Adding to that the arrival of tech giants in my hometown marked a decades long transition into an economy that was ever more cruel, extractive, and unequal. It will probably eventually force me to live in a place that I don't want to live in. However I keep my mouth shut. It's not productive to shout people down and call them gentrifiers and computers aren't going away. It just makes you seem like a psychopath, it burns down bridges, and what could any of them even do to change things even if I convinced them? Nothing. It's bigger than them. It's bigger than me.

poo poo. I might even learn to program someday - but the ill will is still there. I just can't help it. It's just human.

Having said all of that none of this sentiment motivated my decision to recommend a goose as a pet to protect that man's garden. It was just the first thing that popped into my head. I told him that they made great guard animals and then I started talking about how they were used to protect Rome and something just went off in his head. He says that whenever he leaves in his car it chases him down the block because it's so attached to him that it doesn't want him to leave. He's getting a cage to put it in because of this because after it chases him down the cul de sac it just wanders around the neighborhood trying to eat cats. Apparently it gets into absolutely wild fights with raccoons because it's so incredibly territorial as well. It is obviously a very disruptive animal because it wants to protect him and it's extremely aggressive but he has nothing bad to say about it even though it keeps him up at night, shits on everything, and tries to kill everything that moves including his dates.

Anyway in my defense he's sort of a sad sack and has nothing in this world except google money and that goose so connecting him with a flying poo poo snake was a good thing. I'm helping him.

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo
yay my 15 pro came and it’s a decent step up from the 12 (hopefully less radiation on my balls)

amazing camera

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Was slightly windy, so i couldn't get a closer shot.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Corb3t posted:

Vast majority of iOS users just turn off notifications altogether for most of their apps, so they don't really care. Since most iPhone users have Apple Watches, being able to specify which notifications only go to that device is granular enough for most, it seems.

this made me google and the claimed figure now is 80% conversion rate in the us. suprises me a bit if accurate as while i know a ton of people with them, it's not universal and i assumed it would drop in the over 50% demo.

i own apple products in most of the categories they make (phone, macbook pro, airpod pro, beats headphones, ipad) but have always thought 'what do i really need this for" whenever i've looked at them

Thauros fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 6, 2023

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So...does the EU USB-C ruling affect non phone products for Apple at all? Things that used lightning to charge. Are those being 'forced' into switching to USB-C or are not covered under the EU law?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Thauros posted:

this made me google and the claimed figure now is 80% conversion rate in the us. suprises me a bit if accurate as while i know a ton of people with them, it's not universal and i assumed it would drop in the over 50% demo.

i own apple products in most of the categories they make (phone, macbook pro, airpod pro, beats headphones, ipad) but have always thought 'what do i really need this for" whenever i've looked at them

It’s like a little extension of the phone that you don’t have to take out of your pocket, and it’s also a watch.

Shaocaholica posted:

So...does the EU USB-C ruling affect non phone products for Apple at all? Things that used lightning to charge. Are those being 'forced' into switching to USB-C or are not covered under the EU law?

What’s left? They switched AirPods over at the same time.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Apple TV remotes? Magic keyboard/mouse/trackpad?