Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

driving the speed limit is not unsafe, you cretin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

mystes posted:

I think there's probably a fair case that if you're just thinking about your own personal safety while driving on a highway, it's potentially safer to go slightly faster than the speed limit if that's the speed everyone else is going and conditions allow

Once you try to argue that's better for pedestrians or something that gets pretty ridiculous though

its better for pedestrians when cars don't come flying off a road and the #1 cause for that is the car being hit by another nearby car
the #1 prevention for that is not being in a position where another car can collide with you at a high differential of speed

this is achieved by maintaining distance to other cars and reducing the differential of speed, not by following an arbitrary speed guideline when nobody else is following it, as that guideline means nothing if other traffic is not following it, so it will not actually do anything with regards to your safety
if other traffic is following it then you should go that speed
its very simple

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
*thousands of words incoming*

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

the obviously correct answer doesn't make them feel smart. lots of these people have been trained that the obviously correct answer has some fatal trap, and the wrong answer is actually the correct answer for ~I'm smart~ reasons. This mentality pervades law, business, etc. and bleeds into everything else, especially in the US. Conceding that the obviously correct answer is correct feels like a betrayal of some dipshit professor they had who convinced them that every good thing is actually bad because of unintended consequences that make all good things bad

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Mr. Sharps posted:

i fuckimg love how goons in topic-focused threads will have this entire person they've built in their head that doesn't exist who they want to yell at and once anyone posts anything that lets them tie that headcanon enemy to them they're immediately like "you're loving Sick, you believe this and that and this and its disgusting" when i literally didn't say any of it

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Troutful posted:

this explains a lot about my visit to Philadelphia

Yeah, it owns

mystes
May 31, 2006

FirstnameLastname posted:

i fuckimg love how goons in topic-focused threads will have this entire person they've built in their head that doesn't exist who they want to yell at and once anyone posts anything that lets them tie that headcanon enemy to them they're immediately like "you're loving Sick, you believe this and that and this and its disgusting" when i literally didn't say any of it
Oh good I must have hallucinated the last several pages

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Keep adding more lanes.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

its better for pedestrians when cars don't come flying off a road and the #1 cause for that is the car being hit by another nearby car
the #1 prevention for that is not being in a position where another car can collide with you at a high differential of speed
This is not the thing that causes pedestrian and cyclist death, though. It's cars going too fast and either mowing you down in a straight line or turning into you, no other collision required. Just slowing the gently caress down would help a lot.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Watching that movie where the bus explodes if it isn't going within 5mph of the nearest car, unfortunately it ends two minutes in upon encountering on-street parking.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

loving this

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

this is achieved by maintaining distance to other cars and reducing the differential of speed, not by following an arbitrary speed guideline when nobody else is following it, as that guideline means nothing if other traffic is not following it, so it will not actually do anything with regards to your safety
its very simple

i do not think the existence of a speed limit is arbitrary. i think following it increases safety because it makes the traffic predictable for not cars, it decreases the severity of incidents with or without cars, and i have not seen any data that suggests speeding as a standard is safer at an individual level. i understand this is at a mass-policy level, but https://newsroom.aaa.com/2021/01/is-raising-the-speed-limit-worth-the-risk/ I think this is worth reading and then taking the consideration that we cannot nor should not be relying upon police enforcement so what people can do is model good behavior. you aren’t in traffic, you are traffic.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

nice parking space ya got here. would be a shame if anything were to happen to it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
You should drive the speed limit and not go over it

Hth

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

its very simple

...................../´¯¯/)
...................,/¯.../
.................../..../
.............../´¯/'..'/´¯¯`·¸
.........../'/.../..../....../¨¯\
..........('(....´...´... ¯~/'..')
...........\..............'...../
............\....\.........._.·´
.............\..............(
..............\..............\

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Sharps posted:

It definitely is in a lot of places; plenty of times, the engineers set it way too high.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

*thousands of words incoming*

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
The actionable intel I'm getting from Firstname Lastname's posting is that pedestrians need to be more threatening to drivers, in order to change the driver's safety calculus. As such, I am taking their recommendation that you should carry a large-caliber firearm and magdump any car you witness violating traffic laws.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Bushiz posted:

The actionable intel I'm getting from Firstname Lastname's posting is that pedestrians need to be more threatening to drivers, in order to change the driver's safety calculus. As such, I am taking their recommendation that you should carry a large-caliber firearm and magdump any car you witness violating traffic laws.

Wouldn't recommend this at all

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

The majority of traffic fatalities are single-vehicle accidents. You're not a brave realist. You're not even a pedant. You're just wrong, and a dipshit, and hallucinating a framework where your stupid, dangerous driving habits are actually smart and safe. They aren't. You aren't. Do not exceed the speed limit.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Bushiz posted:

The majority of traffic fatalities are single-vehicle accidents. You're not a brave realist. You're not even a pedant. You're just wrong, and a dipshit, and hallucinating a framework where your stupid, dangerous driving habits are actually smart and safe. They aren't. You aren't. Do not exceed the speed limit.

mad?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

where I live we have a special safety corridor with 50mph speed limits, it’s nice to just slow down and go 50. people still try to speed but I give them disapproving looks. like how dare you speed in the special safety corridor

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

you should post like 5 or 6 more times about it

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

ive spent thousands of hours learning and training the best practices of safely operating vehicles on public roads, studying the blade how different collisions & loss of control events occur, and how to avoid those things from a lifelong phobia of dying in a car crash but yes whatever thing about the friggin Chuds you're imagining is probably also the case, i probably drive a big diesel pickup with a maga hat and am talking out my rear end with rotten stinky breath and im scowling when i hit enter post

Grassy Knowles posted:

i do not think the existence of a speed limit is arbitrary. i think following it increases safety because it makes the traffic predictable for not cars, it decreases the severity of incidents with or without cars, and i have not seen any data that suggests speeding as a standard is safer at an individual level. i understand this is at a mass-policy level, but https://newsroom.aaa.com/2021/01/is-raising-the-speed-limit-worth-the-risk/ I think this is worth reading and then taking the consideration that we cannot nor should not be relying upon police enforcement so what people can do is model good behavior. you aren’t in traffic, you are traffic.

not the existence altogether no, they're good
the decision for a given speed in most places is fairly arbitrary tho to a range of about +-15mph and often determined by things like the average weight of traffic on that road compared to the hill grade or amount of nearby homes, road noise etc. as well as those patches where stuff drops by 10mph suddenly for a quarter mile to get the ticket income
the point I'm trying to make about that is the speed limit is not the priority to adhere to over the actual speed of other traffic, because that's what determines the safe speed of the road, if they're all speeding, you will be safer speeding too, because then they will not be driving past you
equally if they're not speeding you will be safer not speeding as well, marginally because of the reduced total velocity, and mostly because then you will not be driving past them
if there's no other traffic then going the speed limit is good & people should slow down around pedestrians and bicyclists and anywhere there's stuff or blindspots roadside where stuff could dart out, i always do

a higher speed for everyone doesn't make things any safer at all, but lowering the difference between the fastest and slowest thing on the road does by maintaining distance and not having cars moving past each other next to each other in lanes, every time that happens it's risking a collision unnecessarily & people only need to be looking down at their phone for a second while they go past you to smack into a quarter panel and pitch you into a wall/sidewalk/etc

its not like i dont think there should be stuff done to change how dumb poo poo is brw, like us road traffic is a mess for a billion different reasons, but none of those can safely be addressed from within the car, only navigated, hand ur dealt n w/e

having no speed limit would be v. bad because drivers have essentially zero training before they're given licenses.
ive read it actually can improve safety in some situations because it causes people to evaluate the conditions & surroundings more (iirc really slow, crowded locations, like city centers benefit the most from no posted limit, removing lanes & curbs too weirdly enough. also on bendy rural roads w/o much traffic) but for anything with traffic moving at 20+mph itd be impossible because people biologically just can't judge distance or relative speeds well at all, not having a posted limit def. wouldn't help on faster roads/freeways

Bushiz posted:

Although motor-vehicle-related deaths occur more often in collisions between motor vehicles than any other type of incident, crashes of this type represented less than half of the total in 2021 (43%). Collisions between a motor vehicle and a fixed object were the next most common type, with over 26% of deaths, followed by pedestrian incidents and non-collisions (rollovers, etc.).

While collisions between motor vehicles accounted for less than half of motor-vehicle fatalities, this crash type represented 63% of injuries, 71% of injury crashes, and 71% of all incidents.

Conversely, single-vehicle crashes involving collisions with fixed objects, pedestrians, and non-collisions accounted for a greater proportion of fatalities and fatal crashes compared to less serious crashes. These three crash types made up 54% of fatalities and 56% of fatal crashes, but only 35% or less of injuries, injury crashes, or all crashes.

like 80% of fatal single driver accidents involve alcohol and the rest are pretty much all sleep deprivation and 16-24y/o's driving negligently fast
i am assuming the people itt do not drink and drive and i don't think there's many 16-24 year olds
shut up lol

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

ive spent thousands of hours learning and training the best practices of safely operating vehicles on public roads, studying the blade how different collisions & loss of control events occur, and how to avoid those things from a lifelong phobia of dying in a car crash but yes whatever thing about the friggin Chuds you're imagining is probably also the case, i probably drive a big diesel pickup with a maga hat and am talking out my rear end with rotten stinky breath and im scowling when i hit enter post

not the existence altogether no, they're good
the decision for a given speed in most places is fairly arbitrary tho to a range of about +-15mph and often determined by things like the average weight of traffic on that road compared to the hill grade or amount of nearby homes, road noise etc. as well as those patches where stuff drops by 10mph suddenly for a quarter mile to get the ticket income
the point I'm trying to make about that is the speed limit is not the priority to adhere to over the actual speed of other traffic, because that's what determines the safe speed of the road, if they're all speeding, you will be safer speeding too, because then they will not be driving past you
equally if they're not speeding you will be safer not speeding as well, marginally because of the reduced total velocity, and mostly because then you will not be driving past them
if there's no other traffic then going the speed limit is good & people should slow down around pedestrians and bicyclists and anywhere there's stuff or blindspots roadside where stuff could dart out, i always do

a higher speed for everyone doesn't make things any safer at all, but lowering the difference between the fastest and slowest thing on the road does by maintaining distance and not having cars moving past each other next to each other in lanes, every time that happens it's risking a collision unnecessarily & people only need to be looking down at their phone for a second while they go past you to smack into a quarter panel and pitch you into a wall/sidewalk/etc

its not like i dont think there should be stuff done to change how dumb poo poo is brw, like us road traffic is a mess for a billion different reasons, but none of those can safely be addressed from within the car, only navigated, hand ur dealt n w/e

having no speed limit would be v. bad because drivers have essentially zero training before they're given licenses.
ive read it actually can improve safety in some situations because it causes people to evaluate the conditions & surroundings more (iirc really slow, crowded locations, like city centers benefit the most from no posted limit, removing lanes & curbs too weirdly enough. also on bendy rural roads w/o much traffic) but for anything with traffic moving at 20+mph itd be impossible because people biologically just can't judge distance or relative speeds well at all, not having a posted limit def. wouldn't help on faster roads/freeways

Although motor-vehicle-related deaths occur more often in collisions between motor vehicles than any other type of incident, crashes of this type represented less than half of the total in 2021 (43%). Collisions between a motor vehicle and a fixed object were the next most common type, with over 26% of deaths, followed by pedestrian incidents and non-collisions (rollovers, etc.).

While collisions between motor vehicles accounted for less than half of motor-vehicle fatalities, this crash type represented 63% of injuries, 71% of injury crashes, and 71% of all incidents.

Conversely, single-vehicle crashes involving collisions with fixed objects, pedestrians, and non-collisions accounted for a greater proportion of fatalities and fatal crashes compared to less serious crashes. These three crash types made up 54% of fatalities and 56% of fatal crashes, but only 35% or less of injuries, injury crashes, or all crashes.

like 80% of fatal single driver accidents involve alcohol and the rest are pretty much all sleep deprivation and 16-24y/o's driving negligently fast
i am assuming the people itt do not drink and drive and i don't think there's many 16-24 year olds
shut up lol

lol mods afraid of real data

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
nobody is reading any of that garbage lol

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
I did and I agree with them

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

ok one loser read it

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

lol "mad?"

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

shut up lol

are these figures only counting corpses that were inside the car?

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

I did and I agree with them

prove it

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

I must drive like a maniac to appease the other maniacs on the road. please understand.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I don’t know about you all, but I find that on the highway I’m either on a divided highway with multiple lanes, where travelling at the speed limit in the outside lane is fine, or I’m on a two‐lane road and there’s oncoming traffic to consider. In neither case does it make sense to speed for safety.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
if everyone else is speeding then of course I will speed with them because that's just democracy in action. I don't trust the bureaucrats in the state government to decide the proper speed for optimal safety

they didn't protect us from covid why would they protect us from car accidents

mystes
May 31, 2006

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

if everyone else is speeding then of course I will speed with them because that's just democracy in action. I don't trust the bureaucrats in the state government to decide the proper speed for optimal safety

they didn't protect us from covid why would they protect us from car accidents
Right so speeding is like being antivax thanks for making that clear

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

mystes posted:

Right so speeding is like being antivax thanks for making that clear

the government didn't make the vaccines and in fact have been instrumental in delaying the release and general availability of the updated versions

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Speeding is infection-acquired immunity.

We need to get more sick in order to get less sick.

Or, as they say in the context of politics, “accelerationism”.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

this kind of phrasing is always sketchy because pedestrians and cyclists don't "dart out" onto the road - you're either not paying attention, or you're traveling too fast to react accordingly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

this kind of phrasing is always sketchy because pedestrians and cyclists don't "dart out" onto the road - you're either not paying attention, or you're traveling too fast to react accordingly

lol what, pedestrians step out into the road from being visual barriers all the time