Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Well it is very convenient when you can just look at the link and know you don't need to click it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Oh look, science by press release.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

:hmmno:

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
Very excited for physics-defying limitless energy though. The last couple of times the science people invented it it must have gotten hung up on red tape or something.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Retraction: Upon further testing it was discovered the physic defying battery, "laboratory electrical wall socket" wasn't storing vast amounts of electricity, but was instead transferring it through from a yet to be determined location.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

As usual, the articles themselves are nowhere near as baseless in their claims as the clickbait headline but also way more mundane and quite unremarkable for the sort of people that get drawn in because of the headline and not for the underlying developments.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Yeah science journalism really loving sucks.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Owling Howl posted:

Very excited for physics-defying limitless energy though. The last couple of times the science people invented it it must have gotten hung up on red tape or something.

It was kept down by THE MAN

Disclaimer: I am the man, I review journal articles and abstracts

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Yeah science journalism really loving sucks.

The two science articles

1) one weird trick to get infinite energy

2) climate scientists yet again gobsmacked at glacial melt

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Pander posted:

The two science articles

1) one weird trick to get infinite energy

2) climate scientists yet again gobsmacked at glacial melt

Hah. A national radio station yesterday started a climate story with "scientists are running out of adjectives"

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Germany still intent on bringing back coal:

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/germany-approves-bringing-coal-fired-power-plants-back-online-this-winter-2023-10-04/

quote:

Germany's cabinet on Wednesday approved putting on-reserve lignite-fired power plants back online from October until the end of March 2024, the economy ministry said, as a step to replace scarce natural gas this winter and avoid shortages.

Yay lignite. So much cleaner than nuclear power.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
No one cares anymore. I was always a strong proponent of nuclear energy. But the fact that those things got turned off is a political decision which is straight up irreversible. We live in the world we have and have to deal with the situations as they are and not as they should be. I'm not saying that any of this is smart, but this is just what's happening and we have to accept it by now. Crying about those obvious implications feels like Pro-Brexiters who complain about import tariffs some years after their vote.

Do you guys think it would have gone any different if there was a nuclear referendum first? Maybe if they waited a few months after the earthquake? Germans are just straight up idiots when it comes to this topic. Even people I consider quite smart otherwise. And it's not just some astroturfed propaganda network either. I will always disagree with that decision, but I have to admit that the politicians were absolutely following the voice of the people there.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 8, 2023

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

I still reserve the right to point out what a bunch of idiots they are.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I do think the development of nuclear is still possible. "It's irreversible, stop talking about it" is basically the number one strategy of the fossil fuel rhetorical playbook, implying and demanding that others accept the futility of efforts toward change.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

cant cook creole bream posted:

No one cares anymore. I was always a strong proponent of nuclear energy. But the fact that those things got turned off is a political decision which is straight up irreversible. We live in the world we have and have to deal with the situations as they are and not as they should be. I'm not saying that any of this is smart, but this is just what's happening and we have to accept it by now. Crying about those obvious implications feels like Pro-Brexiters who complain about import tariffs some years after their vote.

In this analogy you've created the people who are pro-nuclear also voted for the nuclear power plants to close (???)

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
have you guys heard of utilizing energy during the day to move brick like things or heat metal?

that way you can have that potential energy be used during non sunlight hours.

For example, "when a thermoelectric material is exposed to a temperature gradient — for example, one end is heated, while the other is cooled — electrons in that material start to flow from the hot end to the cold end, generating an electric current"

bricks that have been raised during sunlight can be dropped to create electricity

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
i don't understand it well yet but with bricks you can raise them during the day and let them fall when attached by rope or whatever to a magnet that can spin?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
many of these have been discussed quite a bit or linked in this thread, actually. it's probably worth reading the last hundred pages because there's a lot of interesting stuff (but don't be afraid to skim and skip several pages as people go off lol)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

TheMuffinMan posted:

i don't understand it well yet but with bricks you can raise them during the day and let them fall when attached by rope or whatever to a magnet that can spin?

There have been prototypes of this kind of thing built and iirc the storage efficiency was so awful that you'd be better off just buying a bunch of car batteries

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

TheMuffinMan posted:

have you guys heard of utilizing energy during the day to move brick like things or heat metal?

For example, "when a thermoelectric material is exposed to a temperature gradient — for example, one end is heated, while the other is cooled — electrons in that material start to flow from the hot end to the cold end, generating an electric current"

bricks that have been raised during sunlight can be dropped to create electricity
Low energy density and high mass required generally make these types of plans pretty hard to actually materialize, and like was said, they'd be an inefficient use of resources.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
German nuclear killed* itself last spring.
When the last shutdown shoved Nuclear into the news cycle all visible pro-nuclear organisation declared that being pro-nuclear is synonymous with climate change denial (specifically the "markets will fix things if we deregulate", variant). It is very unlikely that Germany will have a noticeable voting block that believes in pro-nuclear state action against climate change for the next decade.
Funnily the Greens are currently the most likely party to increase nuclear usage in Germany, through their proposed investments into EU grid interconnection.

*and by killed I mean the corpse started twitching due to gas-shortage and it used the opportunity to put a new stake in its heart in the hopes of helping the fossil industry with it.

TheMuffinMan posted:

Rising bricks suck. Big flywheels are generally better and are being used to jump-start fusion experiments and other high energy physics and were tested for smoothing EV fast-charger load. But they all are getting replaced by supercaps. And all of those are not great once your load time exceeds an hour.

Heating things is being done for heating. You heat a heat tank during the day (solar driven heatpump or direct sunlight) and use the heat tank to heat your house during the night. To a limited extend this can be used to store heat in summer for winter, but that is fairly experimental.

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Oct 8, 2023

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

QuarkJets posted:

In this analogy you've created the people who are pro-nuclear also voted for the nuclear power plants to close (???)

Fair enough.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

Actually, yes. The CDU and FDP were the ones who put the nails in the coffin of Germany's nuclear power plants after Fukushima. They were also the ones who had just the year before that stopped the previous plan to phase out nuclear power in Germany.
This back and forth cost billions in compensation.

The CDU and FDP were also the ones who then did nothing in order to compensate for the back and forth on nuclear power except to ignore renewables and support the shift to gas (along with the SPD) instead. When this blew up, they then blamed the Greens, because ...

Their only solution to the problem was then to try to go back again against their own back and forth and try to argue that actually they never did support the back and forth they did and that the insufficient solution they were willing to go with would magically solve all problems.

So the analogy does work quite well.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
I can't wait for our nuclear power plants to shut down during winter again and raise the prices of energy to dumb levels.

You *know* they'll do this.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

They are. The CDU was in power when the shutdown was decided and it was and arguable still is the party most closely associated with nuclear power.
And 90% of the times when someone brings up the Atomausstieg as a bad thing it is as part of an attempt to defend the CDU from some green criticism, and to call for their re-election. This year it is mostly about car culture.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Koorisch posted:

I can't wait for our nuclear power plants to shut down during winter again and raise the prices of energy to dumb levels.

You *know* they'll do this.

Of course they will. Some "unforeseen problem" will surface. Just wait and see.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Wibla posted:

Of course they will. Some "unforeseen problem" will surface. Just wait and see.

"No way to prevent this," says only country where this happens.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Maybe the party that ultimately decided to shut down all of the nuclear power plants isn't really as pro-nuclear power as you may have been thinking. Just sayin'

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
its funny how the actually people in Fukushima*, other places in Japan* near/nearer, or South Korea* , actual stake holders that live with da supa death atoms have a warmer relation to nuclear than German other countries that I assume are in the middle of their tectonic plates or are landlocked countries. so relatively resistant to earthquakes or super waves.

* other than that "waste" water issues, but Japan unlike NY is still doing it. good job.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

its funny how the actually people in Fukushima*, other places in Japan* near/nearer, or South Korea* , actual stake holders that live with da supa death atoms have a warmer relation to nuclear than German other countries that I assume are in the middle of their tectonic plates or are landlocked countries. so relatively resistant to earthquakes or super waves.

* other than that "waste" water issues, but Japan unlike NY is still doing it. good job.

Actually I think the lack of such things make Chernobyl seem massive. As in, it was arguably the worst disaster to impact the whole country between 1945 and 2021. And I do expect the new comparison with the rona to move a lot of people from anti-nuclear to neutral.

But the root cause of the strong anti-nuclear sentiment in Germany has always been the embarrassing stupidity of the pro-nuclear lobby, imo. Especially in choosing their political alliances. For example by continuing to support the CDU and the fossil industry despite all the backstabbing.

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity

PhazonLink posted:

Nuclear power isn't exactly doing great in Japan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nuclear_power_plants_in_Japan

Many of the reactors that were taken offline in 2011 still haven't restarted.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Grey Area posted:

Nuclear power isn't exactly doing great in Japan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nuclear_power_plants_in_Japan

Many of the reactors that were taken offline in 2011 still haven't restarted.
They are because the majority opposed restarting the plants until recently, I wonder what happened in '22 :thunk:

https://world-nuclear-news.org/Articles/Poll-finds-record-support-for-Japanese-reactor-res

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Was listening to the latest VOLTS podcast, and this time there was an interview with the CEO of a thermal battery company called Antora.

Apparently they launched their first commercial-scale system and it is really fascinating. An easily mass produce-able intermodal container sized thermal battery that can output both heat and electricity on demand and at a controlled rate. Made from dirt cheap carbon heated to more than 2000 degrees C that is literally radiating energy like a small sun, the light hitting special water cooled and IR mirror backed PVs that destroy all tech efficiency records to date and also hitting pipes that heat water to steam via controllable shutters at the periphery.

:shepspends:

This stuff is bonkers. Sadly I can't find a transcript for it, here is the pod though, blew my mind.

quote:

A super-battery aimed at decarbonizing industry

Back in March, I did a podcast on the possibility of using wind and solar electricity to decarbonize industrial heat, which represents fully a quarter of all human final energy consumption. The trick is to transform the variable energy from wind and solar into a steady, predictable stream of heat by using some form of heat battery.

The idea is that heat batteries will charge when renewables are cheap or negatively priced, around midday when all the solar is online, and then use the stored heat to displace natural gas boilers and other fossil fuel heat sources in industrial facilities.

Among other things, this vision represents a huge opportunity for renewable energy developers — industrial heat is effectively a brand new trillion-dollar market for them to play in. And they can often enter that market without waiting in long interconnection queues to connect to the grid.

Anyway, that episode, which I highly encourage you to listen to at some point, was with the CEO of a thermal battery company call Rondo. In it, I mentioned another thermal storage company whose technology caught my eye: Antora Energy.

Like Rondo, Antora is part of the broad “box of rocks” category, but its tech can do some things that, for the time being, no other thermal battery can do.

I don’t want to say much more here — discovery is half the fun — but I will say I’m as geeked about this technology as I have been about anything in ages. I’ve been thinking about it ever since I first heard about it three or four years ago. Now the company has launched its first commercial-scale system! So I’ve brought Antora co-founder and CEO Andrew Ponec on the pod to talk through how it works, what it can do, and how it could transform industrial heat markets.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 9, 2023

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

good preso from them a year ago on stanfords energy youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYd3GGV07UE

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

They are because the majority opposed restarting the plants until recently, I wonder what happened in '22 :thunk:

https://world-nuclear-news.org/Articles/Poll-finds-record-support-for-Japanese-reactor-res

Wasn't 2022 the year that Shinzo Abe was assassinated by video game designer Hideo Kojima

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

QuarkJets posted:

Wasn't 2022 the year that Shinzo Abe was assassinated by video game designer Hideo Kojima

Sure and look on the surface it may look like these two events are very much connected, but I think it was actually Miyazaki assassination of Kojima in a police station garage a few days later changed popular opinion on this matter. It really showed change was possible.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

VictualSquid posted:

But the root cause of the strong anti-nuclear sentiment in Germany has always been the embarrassing stupidity of the pro-nuclear lobby, imo.

This is the most German thing I've ever read.

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
https://interestingengineering.com/innovation/desk-sized-turbines-power-10000-homes

"The turbine's job is to use water as a thermal medium in power cycles. However, if one were to change the medium itself, the turbine could be much smaller in size. Enter carbon dioxide as a working fluid, and the turbines can be significantly downsized."

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
It’s like they’ve never heard of a gas turbine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Seems to be really stupidly worded and I might be thus completely misunderstanding it but the point is that a supercritical CO2 gas turbine is more efficient than a water gas (Steam) turbine? I guess through increased density and possibly easier operating temperature regimes? If it could somehow make it so that low grade heat is useful, then solar thermal plants would indeed benefit.