Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I am very excited for the Oilers to rock out all season again. Maybe Jack Campbell will be good!!!

Oilers are going to win the presidents trophy easily then flame out in the playoffs (hopefully to the Flames in the first round for extra comedy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
my takeaway from Bruins preseason is that the center depth has been solved by a prospect magically looking amazing during preseason, which will surely transfer to the regular season as well

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Propaganda Hour posted:

I hope you share more stories from going to games this year. Those were always a laugh

I can genuinely say this past playoffs was something I have never before experienced, and I've been tagging along with my buddy to games for like...7 years now.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Jovial Cow posted:

I was never a fan of firing Gallant in the first place which definitely makes me biased, but especially after this pre-season I really wish we had him back. Lavy did say he was going to experiment with pairings and lines to get a feel for the roster so this likely isn’t representative of what we’ll actually look like, and he definitely gets more time before I’m actually bothered by him, but I wouldn’t call pre-season encouraging.

I mean they had a terrible preseason in 2013 and got off to a slow start

Then went on to the Cup finals that year

So, not taking much away from preseason especially with a new coach and new system etc

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/capfriendly/status/1710007625742446989?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Shoutout to Pat Verbeek for getting two of his young star players signed way under market value for 3 years. The team is still gonna tank for at least the next 2-3 years so their cap hits don’t really matter, but saves the owner some dough

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

Oilers are going to win the presidents trophy easily then flame out in the playoffs (hopefully to the Flames in the first round for extra comedy).

lol the fuckin Flames.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

lol the fuckin Flames.

Hey, Oilers only put up 7 on our B squad. If McDavid couldn’t even put up 15 I have serious questions about their ability to win a cup.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I see the Blues are bringing literally their A roster to Dallas for the preseason game tonight, should be a good test for the 5 or 6 AHL players that will be lining up to show they can compete against a NHL level competition.. if the Blues can be said to be NHL level competition

I kid, they are still decent enough that they could make the playoffs if things break their way - especially up front, they got some good forwards in that club still.

It's going to take me a while to wrap my head around the Oilers being the cup favorites. Maybe it's just 30 years of conditioning and I will never see anything good in that organization lol

**Also Jani Hakanpaa elected to forego knee surgery in the offseason and now he's injured and being "evaluated" a week before the regular season starts lol. Not a real great start to the season for a team that already has practically no depth on the blueline!

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 5, 2023

Kupo!
Sep 14, 2009

Just follow me through this wall, I can show you things
no mortal eyes were meant
to see.

Starsfan posted:

**Also Jani Hakanpaa elected to forego knee surgery in the offseason and now he's injured and being "evaluated" a week before the regular season starts lol. Not a real great start to the season for a team that already has practically no depth on the blueline!
Jani Hakanpaa, loving things up for the Stars? How unheard of! :rolleyes:

Here’s to hoping year 2 of the DeBoer Stars can hold it together.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

my takeaway from Bruins preseason is that the center depth has been solved by a prospect magically looking amazing during preseason, which will surely transfer to the regular season as well

There’s currently buzz about the Leafs’ 2022 2nd rounder taking the 3C spot and I’m absolutely sure it’s made-up drama to take the heat off the fact that the team is not cap compliant 6 days out from the season.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Brooksie posted:

The truth that Alexis Lafreniere has not earned a top-six assignment through his work during training camp and his first three exhibition games is self-evident. One can argue that the lad from Saint-Eustache has not even earned a spot on the roster…

It’s not that No. 13 — who will turn 22 the day before the Oct. 12 opener in Buffalo — hasn’t looked like a first-overall draft selection on the verge of a breakout season, it’s that for the most part Lafreniere has looked like an undrafted invitee to training camp on a tryout. Matt Rempe — a sixth-round pick in 2020 – made more of a positive impression before he was sent out to Hartford last weekend.

https://nypost.com/2023/10/05/what-rangers-should-do-with-alexis-lafreniere-after-unfathomable-camp/

Feels like Laf is due for a change of scenery

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Alexis :laffo:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Yep, let’s rip into the 22 year old who was 2nd in even strength goals last season with zero power play time and a dumbass coach who couldn’t be bothered to run a practice.

Larry is really good at engagement farming.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Koopa Kid posted:

There’s currently buzz about the Leafs’ 2022 2nd rounder taking the 3C spot and I’m absolutely sure it’s made-up drama to take the heat off the fact that the team is not cap compliant 6 days out from the season.

quote:

Not comparing them as players except for the fact that they were all defensively sound, high IQ centers, taken in the second round but Bergeron and O'Reilly both made the NHL as teenagers.

I need to stop reading hfboards.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It's not like he's been atrocious. He's second in goals and 4th in points (though 1st in games played accounting for two of those) from the 2020 draft

that said, I'm sure if the rangers were offerred do-overs on Kakko and Laf they wouldn't have trouble finding players picked much lower that they'd rather have

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Kakko is really REALLY good, I don’t want a do over on him at all.

They both came into the league during covid and probably should have had at least a season in the AHL to cook, but they’re doing fine.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Larry Brooks is a dumbass idiot who has a well recorded history of saying dumb poo poo. Dan Boyle’s greatest contribution to the New York Rangers was him calling Brooksie an rear end in a top hat to his face on his way out. But he also has many legit contacts in the org who leak him poo poo they wanna say so someone in the org prolly wants to put the screws to Laf.

Also lol he only brings up Rempe cause he got in a fight

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

The good thing for the Rangers is that Peter Laviolette loves young players and will certainly show patience with them rather than throwing in lugs like Dylan McIlrath and Lars Eller out there for 15+ minutes a night

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Athletic told me that the rangers were a juggernaut and the 3rd best team in the league. How could they have all these useless players?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Mind_Taker posted:

The good thing for the Rangers is that Peter Laviolette loves young players and will certainly show patience with them rather than throwing in lugs like Dylan McIlrath and Lars Eller out there for 15+ minutes a night

Well McIlrath was a NYR 1st round pick and Laf is a NYR 1st round pick so he should be all good

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Matt Zerella posted:

Kakko is really REALLY good, I don’t want a do over on him at all.

They both came into the league during covid and probably should have had at least a season in the AHL to cook, but they’re doing fine.

Surely no one should be saying Kaapo and Laf aren't good, but knowing that there is an alternate universe where the rangers drafted Zegras and Stuetzle instead... well that makes you wish for what might have been

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Surely no one should be saying Kaapo and Laf aren't good, but knowing that there is an alternate universe where the rangers drafted Zegras and Stuetzle instead... well that makes you wish for what might have been

You greatly underestimate NYRs ability to ruin young players!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Mind_Taker posted:

Yeah that's exactly what I came here to post. Lafreniere's fate was sealed the day they hired Laviolette. He'll be going out in a deal for a veteran soon enough.

Laviolette is past it and IMO a weird and bad hire for the Rangers.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah that's exactly what I came here to post. Lafreniere's fate was sealed the day they hired Laviolette. He'll be going out in a deal for a veteran soon enough.

I think he'll improve them a bit defensively but that 5v5 offense is going to dry up.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

The only conclusion ive come out of the preseason with is Jonathan Quick loving sucks really bad.

Like, for fucks sake, can we give Laf 15 games or so? :lol:

E:

Mind_Taker posted:

I think he'll improve them a bit defensively but that 5v5 offense is going to dry up.

Lmao, what 5v5 offense?!?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Starsfan posted:

Oh no! Wjth Jani out, they might have to find a defenceman that isn't garbage!

Shinjobi posted:

Given that I'm on the starting weeks of a commitment to working out more regularly, I guess I'll add working on my biceps to my scheduled stuff. Because:

:toxx: if the Stars win the cup this year I will get a stars tattoo on my shoulder. It would be my first tattoo. Preferably the only one.

Maybe by sacrificing my pristine untouched flesh I can will the team to win.:v:

Yeah, gently caress it. I'm in :toxx:

Though imma do it someplace less conspicuous because I love to do ~crimes~

Any other Stars Fans worth their salt?
@Kupo!
@Starsfan
@DOOMocrat
@pungry ?

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 6, 2023

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

Lmao, what 5v5 offense?!?

They weren't horrible. Tied for 10th in 5v5 goals/60. I'd be surprised if they were better than 20th this year.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Man the Bruins are going to be boring to watch this year. The defense and goaltending is great but there's not a ton happening on offense 15 shots tonight but they somehow won lol. Although I guess part of that is the Rangers are also legit good.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Eric the Mauve posted:

What do the Rangers want?

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
alright bros. anything different based on preseason results otherwise i'm basically just putting last year standings for my reg season predictions this year

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Probably don’t put the Bruins down for another record breaking season.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Larry Brooks rules

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'm surprised it didn't get a mention but Bettman made it pretty clear expansion will be happening in the near term the other day.

quote:

"We're not in a mode where I'm saying, 'OK, if you're interested in expansion, submit your applications,'" Bettman said. "We’re not there. We're just getting expressions of interest. And as you all know, I take meetings all the time on a variety of subjects, and if somebody wants to talk to us, we talk to them.

"If somebody came in and said, 'OK, we have a building, this is our market, this is our ownership group, we’d really like to go.' Then we'll take a look at it and decide whether we're inclined to expand at this point in time."

Has the commissioner set an expansion fee? It was $500 million for Vegas and $650 million for Seattle.

"A lot," he replied, pointing out Ottawa just sold for $950 million.

Friedman made it clear that Salt Lake City is going to get the Coyotes or an expansion team, and that Atlanta, Quebec City and Houston are possibilities.

Who's ready for the 34 team NHL?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Give Atlanta 2 teams.

E: 2 more teams

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

I'm surprised it didn't get a mention but Bettman made it pretty clear expansion will be happening in the near term the other day.

Friedman made it clear that Salt Lake City is going to get the Coyotes or an expansion team, and that Atlanta, Quebec City and Houston are possibilities.

Who's ready for the 34 team NHL?

34 doesn't divide cleanly, it'll have to be 36

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
Big fan of MAF’s new shootout strategy: just trip the bastards

https://x.com/sharfromthecape/status/1710135235009249313?s=46&t=JGipJoH3wkxHlVpI9Q8vww

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Lol. Someone should fight that guy.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
lol that's fuckin great. Nothing tops Hasek on that Gaborik breakaway though IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5u0khFnHUg

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/sabrespr/status/1710293891058926042?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

Seems likely this will be the opening day roster, too, which is a choice. Also weird that they only iced Johnson for one preseason game and Clifton for two considering they will need time to get used to playing with their new teammates in a new system. Clifton looked bad the other night against Columbus. I’m not convinced he’s ready for top-pairing minutes. Greenway and Olofsson suck, too. Not sure what Donny G thinks he can get out of Greenway.

I’m not feeling super optimistic about the regular season but in spite of that I’m going to the home opener!!! Let’s Go Buffalo!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Jamwad Hilder posted:

lol that's fuckin great. Nothing tops Hasek on that Gaborik breakaway though IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5u0khFnHUg

It doesn't top it, but if this is the kind of entertainment I can expect from MAF this season, than I'm looking forward to it.

Another season of just good enough to lose in the playoffs, but more fun to watch.