Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I have weird intrusive thoughts about being a whale or dolphin and getting rabies and slowly going insane from hydrophobia. Logically I know it can't happen, and so far as I know rabies has yet to spread to marine mammals.

Rabid Manatees tearing up Florida

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Arsenic Lupin posted:

At this point, we have large populations of multiple wild animals that can carry rabies, which is why we're ruthless about it. The CDC's list is "raccoons, skunks, bats, and foxes." (and of course domesticated animals!) "at least 7 out of 10 Americans who die from rabies in the US were infected by bats. "

While that's a big number keep in mind that generally only something like 2-3 people in the united states die a year from rabies.

Also every mammal can carry rabies, even whales.

Transmission could be dog>seal/sea lion> whale or dolphin

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
well dang, that's a bad thought

rabid whales

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

StillFullyTerrible posted:

rabid whales

and they called them Killer before...

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

rabid whales

why do you think free willy jumped? rabid hydrophobia.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The story of Keiko who played Free Willy is pretty unnerving.

The movie I soirée a campaign to free him. He completely failed to integrate with wild orcas, kept returning to humans for food and companionship, and eventually died of malnourishment and pneumonia.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Rabies does exist in the UK, but it's rare. Most of the animals it's endemic to don't live there, but it can still be spread.

Of course it *can* be spread, we're not magically immune. But rabies is not generally present in the UK. From the government website:

quote:

n the UK, rabies has been eliminated from terrestrial animal populations. The last rabid terrestrial animal in the UK was a puppy in quarantine which had been imported from Sri Lanka and found to be rabid in 2008.

Rabies affects bats as well as terrestrial animals, and rabies-like viruses have been found in bats in the UK. These viruses are known as European Bat Lyssaviruses (EBLVs), types 1 and 2. They very rarely cross the species barrier from bats to humans and are different from the ‘classical’ rabies virus found in dogs and other animals. These viruses do however cause clinical rabies in humans.

Which to be fair means you can still get rabies from bats here, though I think the last human case was in 1902, so. Been a while.

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Agghhhhh was there ever a follow up to that reddit post?

I don't think so :/ But the account was eventually deleted. I dm'd the user a year or two after he made the post to ask if he was okay, and he didn't answer.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

HopperUK posted:

Of course it *can* be spread, we're not magically immune. But rabies is not generally present in the UK. From the government website:

Which to be fair means you can still get rabies from bats here, though I think the last human case was in 1902, so. Been a while.

This says that a bat worker in Scotland got rabies and died in 2002. Did a lot of googling last year when a bat got into my holiday rental's bedroom.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Trapped for days in an upside down toilet 100 feet below the surface of the water while you listen to your colleagues die is not how you want your job on the tugboat to go

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

It almost feels like the humane thing to do with a person that has been exposed to a lot of radiation is to humanely end their life before the suffering gets worse.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Alterian posted:

It almost feels like the humane thing to do with a person that has been exposed to a lot of radiation is to humanely end their life before the suffering gets worse.

all part of God's great plan

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

rabid whales

It's been a joke between my wife and I for years that a rabid whale will be the breakthrough for anti-gravity technology. A whale with hydrophobia would just hover over the water by way of locomotion.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Alterian posted:

Guy at a reprocessing plant in Japan violated procedures and took 17 sieverts whole-body. He was insensate, his leukocytes were so mutated that his body was recognizing them as non-self and auto-immuning itself. The photos are horrific, his skin had basically melted off. And every time his heart stopped the doctors would revive him because that’s what his family wanted.

https://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/Publications/PDF/TOAC_web.pdf

(That’s a preliminary report, no photos of that guy.)

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yeah the doctors caught a lot of flak for not just letting him die but from what I've read neither the guy or his family truly understood that he had no chance and wanted them to keep him going

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I think here doctors can overrule family wishes in cases like that. At least I hope so. gently caress.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

If that is Hisashi Ouichi you're talking about, he repeatedly begged for death and they refused to help him because science. He didn't want to stay alive and his family didn't want him to, but the government wanted to study him.

I have a feeling the same would happen in the US except you know, someone would argue for the sanctity of life and whatnot.

E: now that I'm looking at newer articles, the country is claiming the family was trying to keep him alive and they could do nothing about it. After previous articles right after the fact, I find that kinda suspect. And really even if the family kept him alive, shouldn't his word have mattered more? That's loving awful and just evil of them if it's true. Special place in hell and whatnot. I guess it's all hosed.

Scathach has a new favorite as of 20:38 on Sep 27, 2023

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Oh hey, cool. That video has always stuck with me. It's nice to see he's doing well.

If that article is old and there are unpleasant updates, please no one tells me.

Wainwright
Jan 5, 2008

Scathach posted:

If that is Hisashi Ouichi you're talking about, he repeatedly begged for death and they refused to help him because science. He didn't want to stay alive and his family didn't want him to, but the government wanted to study him.

I have a feeling the same would happen in the US except you know, someone would argue for the sanctity of life and whatnot.

E: now that I'm looking at newer articles, the country is claiming the family was trying to keep him alive and they could do nothing about it. After previous articles right after the fact, I find that kinda suspect. And really even if the family kept him alive, shouldn't his word have mattered more? That's loving awful and just evil of them if it's true. Special place in hell and whatnot. I guess it's all hosed.

I believe the biggest problem in Ouchi's case was that they had never dealt with a situation such as his before, and they really didn't have long-standing protocol in place to work with. And you simply cannot just stand by to let a patient die.

Especially since Ouchi was in very good condition when he was originally admitted. Just a friendly guy with some minor-looking burns. Hard for his family and the workers caring for him to understand that he was already dead, until he began to deteriorate.

Admittedly! I might get schooled by another goon here. It's been a few years since I last read A Slow Death, (which I do recommend), but it didn't feel like there was a ton of "yeah let's torture this guy for science" going on in the background, at least not to the salacious levels you'd assume from most retellings of the story online. Just a very bad very deadly situation from the get-go, no winners, least of all Ouchi.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

More like Hisashi Ouch!

EDIT: Sorry I thought this was GBS

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I love that his name is Ouchi

e:fb

Wainwright
Jan 5, 2008
Lmao yes that gets pointed out a lot, but thankfully it's pronounced like "oh-e-chee" and this poor guy is not actually Mr. Ouchie.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Wainwright posted:

Lmao yes that gets pointed out a lot, but thankfully it's pronounced like "oh-e-chee" and this poor guy is not actually Mr. Ouchie.

I know, but it's fun to pretend reality aligns with Nominative determinism. Bring some comedy to the tragedy.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

If people would just transcribe the Japanese long “o” sound properly using “ō” instead of “ou” we wouldn’t have any problems with people constantly barreling into the thread going HURRRR HIS NAME IS LITERALLY OUCHIE DO U GET IT LOL. :colbert:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Comrade Koba posted:

If people would just transcribe the Japanese long “o” sound properly using “ō” instead of “ou” we wouldn’t have any problems with people constantly barreling into the thread going HURRRR HIS NAME IS LITERALLY OUCHIE DO U GET IT LOL. :colbert:

Hepburn is not incorrect it’s a commonly accepted standard

bertolt rekt
Jul 30, 2007

Grassy Knowles posted:

The standard is bad

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

*runs into thread at top speed* HURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR-- oh

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

very risky blowjob posted:

*runs into thread at top speed* HURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR-- ō

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Grassy Knowles posted:

Oh, did you learn that in Toukyou? :smugbert:

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
It is always a struggle for me, who grew up learning Japanese but live in the US, to know whether to be a nerd and pronounce Japanese words correctly or to just suffer through pronouncing things the Americanized way.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

remigious posted:

It is always a struggle for me, who grew up learning Japanese but live in the US, to know whether to be a nerd and pronounce Japanese words correctly or to just suffer through pronouncing things the Americanized way.

Generally people don't really care, so long as they know what you're talking about you're not one of those people who jumps at correcting them for not pronouncing something natively. "It's not 'cruh-saunt' it's 'kwah-sahn'. :smug:"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Just gotta say poo poo the way you say it and let others get worked up if they feel like doing that instead of communicating with you

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
My spouse used to be a barista, and was annoyed with all the people who thought it was very important to say KWAH SAH in Ye Proper French.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

My spouse used to be a barista, and was annoyed with all the people who thought it was very important to say KWAH SAH in Ye Proper French.

People would get mad at my French ex for saying French words the right way, not correcting others at all, just saying kwahsah etc

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
You can't just say kwasah, you have to make it the loudest word in the sentence and make that KW as guttural as you can.

I almost forgot. I never get tired of telling people about the time I met a white goth kid who decided to rename himself Akuma, which he pronounced Uh-KOO-muh.

Halloween Jack has a new favorite as of 14:39 on Oct 6, 2023

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

You can't just say kwasah, you have to make it the loudest word in the sentence and make that KW as guttural as you can.

I almost forgot. I never get tired of telling people about the time I met a white goth kid who decided to rename himself Akuma, which he pronounced Uh-KOO-muh.

Akuma matata

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Halloween Jack posted:

That kid sounds cool as hell

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I bought a comic once and the guy behind the till enthusiastically told me how Manga is actually pronounced Mang-wah.

Bless him,he was just trying to be nice.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I have an Irish name that a certain proportion of people mispronounce in a way I really dislike. It doesn't really matter with acquaintances or customers but my drat grandma used to get it wrong and it drove me batty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

HopperUK posted:

I have an Irish name that a certain proportion of people mispronounce in a way I really dislike. It doesn't really matter with acquaintances or customers but my drat grandma used to get it wrong and it drove me batty.

I've got some really good Irish friends I've known since I was a kid and all but one of them have very Irish names and it's always fun watching people try to both spell or pronounce the names.