Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

i dont care for the combat, im just in it for the rifts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021
I really didn't vibe with the attrition system of RW1, so I'm glad it's removed in RW2!

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1175460/eventcomments/3884975231678860496?snr=1_2108_9__2107

quote:

After nearly 2 years of hard work, time invested and money spent on the 2.0 update, I sadly have to announce that it and further work on Revita will come to a halt.

After long discussions with our publisher, Dear Villagers, we reluctantly have come to the realisation that continuing work on Revita and its 2.0 update would be too costly, from both sides, to be worth pursuing further. The costs of porting, QA and localization alone would vastly outweigh any revenue gained from this update, even if we charged for it.
Revita update cancelled :T

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Man that's sad. Revita's such a good game too but it sold like zero copies for whatever reason. I rank it as one of the very best action roguelites in every sense and has a huge amount of replayability.

2.0 is actually totally playable/complete but only in English, just opt into the beta branch.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 4, 2023

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Yeah I've been holding off on going back until 2.0 launched but now I guess the time to go back is now in Beta.

Means that non-english, non-PC players miss out for sure though.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Are they going to at least release what they have done?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Turin Turambar posted:

Isn't it available in the beta branch?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Turin Turambar posted:

It's all on the beta branch playable now. But without localization/QA their publisher won't let them put it into the main release (because how would that look, you switch to spanish and the version changes?).

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023

cock hero flux posted:

honestly the appeal of rift wizard to me was being able to turn magic missile to into magic thermonuclear icbm so i probably won't play rw2

I'm confident that the sequel will have similar enough opportunities

drink_bleach
Dec 13, 2004

Praise the Sun!
re: rift wizard I never would have bought it without this thread gushing about it and I loved it despite only ever being able to win by looking up builds. Spent a lot of time trying poo poo that didn't work and only ever won with lightning and summons.

The changes outlined are pretty drastic changes to the core gameplay loop so I'm pretty excited they didn't just make 2 have more spells or something similarly uninspired. I'm hoping finding gear and only having one upgrade allows you to lean in more on builds built around things you find rather than committing to a build floor one and peeking shrines.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

malnourish posted:

I'm confident that the sequel will have similar enough opportunities

drink_bleach posted:

The changes outlined are pretty drastic changes to the core gameplay loop so I'm pretty excited they didn't just make 2 have more spells or something similarly uninspired. I'm hoping finding gear and only having one upgrade allows you to lean in more on builds built around things you find rather than committing to a build floor one and peeking shrines.

Yeah, it sounds like the idea is to bend the game towards a more improvisational style where you have to play your build by ear more, not to kill off tall builds altogether (because Dylan White is a coward.)

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
For maybe the final time before the long awaited sequel comes alive in a few weeks, a Triangle Wizard update has managed one of the all time shortest, yet most distinctively Self-Identifying changelogs of all time, all projects:

https://www.trianglewizard.com/post/new-triangle-wizard-1-version-r18-03

quote:

A user called 'Misc' recently alerted me to the following two things:

- Esoteric Priests of Dagon (Priests of Cthulhu) have an easy time maxing their unique ability by casting Dismissal on all items in a shop. (Which generates hate since R18.01.)
- If you kill a creature affected by a Malediction effect combined with the Binding of Isaac talent the walls of the dungeon might get alive and move around.

So in this new version these issues are addressed! :)

Release notes for R 18.03:

-Esoteric Priests of Dagon's ability capped at 50% hate.
-Loveliness gain from the Pax unique item capped at 50%.
-Fixed some typo's.
-Hate gained from dismissing store items capped at 15%.
-Killing an enemy under the effects of a Malediction with the Binding of Isaac talent will no longer make the walls move around.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Started playing a lil Nova Drift again after they added swords, did not use swords in this run but did nearly double my high score.

the last twenty minutes or so of this was sweaty - I could have gone a little further if I had picked some different mods somewhere, I think, but the boss/enemy combo in the screenshot is a mess to deal with with Salvo. Really wish I had gotten the upgrade that would have made my shots fragment into smaller ones, may have cleared out the mess a little more effectively.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Nova Drift is one of those rare games that nails what it does perfectly, pure gameplay, no bullshit. Each time I pick it back up it's impossible to play just one run

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
What is Nova Drift like?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

nrook posted:

What is Nova Drift like?

Best roguelite top down shooter, that's what :P

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

nrook posted:

What is Nova Drift like?

Asteroids on crack.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jack Trades posted:

Asteroids on crack.

I would have said it was Asteroids with the emphasis on the "steroids", myself.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
rear end Steroids.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
BrogueCE lives on with v1.13

https://github.com/tmewett/BrogueCE/releases/tag/v1.13

quote:

Thanks to great work by flend and zenzombie, we now have support for multiple game variants in CE, and have added Rapid Brogue! Select it in Play > Change Variant in the main menu.

Thanks to other contributors andkem, brturn, nathanf, nstoddard, and omar-polo.

Changes
Rapid Brogue is now part of Brogue CE!
Re-designed the main menu.
Lumenstones are worth 500 gold on death, instead of 0.
The rapier lunge attack works against invisible enemies when you are telepathic.
Levers are now indestructible via shattering and tunneling, which would leave some vaults impossible to open.
Autoexplore no longer walks through dangerous gases when wearing unidentified respiration armor.
Items falling from the previous level will now trigger any traps they land on.
Items and monsters falling from the previous level will no longer fall into reward rooms.
Fixed an issue where unidentified rings could have higher bonuses than they would have once identified.
Fixed an issue where unidentified positive rings would be 1 enchant lower than they should.
Update rapier description to use 'triple damage' instead of 'treble damage'.
Added a -vn command-line option to play a replay headlessly.
Fix the default enchantment value being ignored in wizard mode.
Fixed the dungeon version number in the seed catalog.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Jedit posted:

I would have said it was Asteroids with the emphasis on the "steroids", myself.

Let's be honest here, there's barely any actual asteroids

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

grate deceiver posted:

Let's be honest here, there's barely any actual asteroids
there is however one asteroid hiding a giant enemy crab [this is not a joke]

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 5, 2023

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

nrook posted:

What is Nova Drift like?
https://i.imgur.com/RukW1DJ.gifv

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.
I'm still having a blast with Astrea and am trying to finally get a win on the 5th character Sothis. It's like my brain constantly miscounts enemy health by 1 or I lose by a single turn.

The relief mechanic happening at the end of the enemies turn always gets me because they'll get healed for one corruption from Affliction before it takes effect. Or they over corrupt and blast me.

Loving the way the character difficulty ramps up so far.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Man this reminds me of that one freeware game I played back in the 00s. From Japan, I think. Fraxys?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Something to be aware of with Nova Drift is that it's a potential trigger if you have photosensitivity. For me, it causes migraines; I have a friend with epilepsy who absolutely cannot afford to look at it.

I seem to recall hearing that they added a reduced-intensity graphics option, but I haven't given it a shot.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

SKULL.GIF posted:

Man this reminds me of that one freeware game I played back in the 00s. From Japan, I think. Fraxys?

Warning forever?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
drat I forgot all about fraxy. that game (or game engine, really) was sick

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Didn't think to just bring it up in this thread but I made a thread for Quasimorph. It's a dystopian sci-fi top down RPG where you run a mercenary company in the dystopian future where demons from another dimension are starting to show up.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4043576

Rather difficult but still fun. Your mercenaries are clones and you lose all equipment on death.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Captain Foo posted:

Warning forever?

That game owned. Bullet hell where the boss evolved based on how you beat it if I remember

Don't know if this link is any good:
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/warning-forever-dw9

bobthenameless
Jun 20, 2005

ive been trying to remember the name of warning forever since i first saw the steam shmup sale start, it was v rad

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Drone Incognito posted:

I'm still having a blast with Astrea and am trying to finally get a win on the 5th character Sothis. It's like my brain constantly miscounts enemy health by 1 or I lose by a single turn.

The relief mechanic happening at the end of the enemies turn always gets me because they'll get healed for one corruption from Affliction before it takes effect. Or they over corrupt and blast me.

Loving the way the character difficulty ramps up so far.

Sothis is really fun. He can get extremely powerful if you build towards Soul Heat, but it's pretty touch-and-go and requires Distortion Hieroglyph because there's absolutely going to be turns where you have multiple "reduce by 3" or "reduce to 0" mandatory die which will scuttle your run. My first non-astrea run was just by jamming every chanting die I could get my hands on. More recently I nearly cleared Anomaly 5 / Astrea 4 with him but made a really dumb gamble with Bloody Solstice (double your damage and relief next turn, lose one heart if you don't end the turn with exactly X Soul Heat). Every character gets a lot of cool dice actions as you level them up which I really like.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Hot drat

You enjoy cleaving?

Play Mortal Sin

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1494810/Mortal_Sin/

Now that's some satisfyingly chunky melee combat

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Mortal Sin is pretty decent. Paladin feels ridiculously strong compared to the other options though, easily cleared hard mode and the bonus ending with them but struggle to get past the like third area as anyone else.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

Warning forever?

Oh man, it's been a while since I thought about Warning Forever! I played it so much when it came out, despite really disliking bullet hell games.

As a reminder for the Nethack players, next friday is the 13th & a New Moon so be sure to come prepared.

A while ago people were talking about making a thread for old school roguelikes. It seems useful but I was busy when the conversation was ongoing and I don't know how how folks feel about it now that they've had some time to let it simmer. If so, I'll work on making an OP.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Battleships Forever was a strategy game spinoff that was also pretty good.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Steam update about TVRUHH's 8.0 update coming this halloween
Towers mode hype...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24mRzATpxbU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2paJcIvSM0
Also some new tracks for 8.0 have been getting put up on their youtube account

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 6, 2023

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
FINALLY rolled credits on Shiren 5! Took a lengthy break from this after a few very close escapes. Thankfully I had equipped myself properly to win, just had to make it to Riva and beat him down. Since the sequel was announced I've been meaning to finish the main dungeon before release, didn't think it'd happen so quick.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Between Tiny Rogues and Rift Wizard 2, winter's gonna be packed with roguelite goodness.

https://twitter.com/RubyBenji/status/1710625403117727802

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Austra is wild. Just got a 5 Corruption/4 Heart win with her. She's obviously completely broken if you get Sun Eye or Moon Eye, but I didn't get those until Ground Zero and ended the run with zero Sky Piercer.

Any kind of Meteor Rain build is the most consistent on her just because there's so many ways to convert them into a positive action (as long as you are able to shield yourself) which is a shame -- confuse builds seem good but I have to get Doubt Dispeller early to be able to make it. I have tried multiple times to do a Favorable Winds build but you build it up so slowly and the Epic die you draw have a good chance of being archetypes you aren't built for so I can't see it working out.