Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

eke out posted:

you have described exactly why his return to life, as living is a literal punishment to him, has been narratively established

Also true, but that also seems like a good way to turn even Ishamael against the Dark One in the long run too. :v:

ragnarokette posted:

:negative:

Actually thinking about it for a second, I'm not so sure. Him coming back and being damned to do it all again kinda just underlines his point. I'm not really sure where you go from that, but it might be workable.

Again, you could make it work if him and/or Moridin continually coming back just pisses him off more and more and actually turns him against the Dark One, so that that whole "the soul that wanted to die died, and the soul that wanted to live lived" thing at the end of the story is more of a mutual exchange of "Hey Lews, you let's REALLY gently caress this rear end in a top hat's poo poo up!" and it's Ishamael's final gently caress you to the Dark One at the end of that plotline if they take it in that direction.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Elayne/Nynaeve concussion counter remains at 2. Rookie numbers. They're going to have to get those up.

Uno turning up as a hero is fan service, he did gently caress all in the show. I would forgive the show only people not remembering who is. What we lacked is a party girl archer and her uggo boyfriend.

Its a pure book reader thing but Rand's wounds getting inverted, well I guess that's going to be a plot point if they ever get that far.

Also book reader thing, Ishy should wreck great hunt Egwene. She's a certified bad rear end by the time the last battle comes around but this is not that point and she doesn't have Nynaeve brute strength. So its kind of very flattening of how the power levels are. Its not the same thing but its like promising bantam weight female prospect takes on reigning male heavy weight champ. And book Rand should lose too but book Ishy is out of his mind and basically lets himself get stabbed. Show Ishy is with it, he hasn't killed loads of rats because he wants to emphasize a point. He's not the most true power addicted person to ever live.

At least Lan finally got to do something, he took out a lot of red shirts who had no reason to be there.

And Rand gets his heron burns

Lanfear is the star. The only thing I saw her previously in was Peaky Blinders. Not a great role so I get why people didn't have great expectations but she chewed up the scenery as the femme fatale when a lot of other characters were very monotone

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Goofballs posted:

Uno turning up as a hero is fan service, he did gently caress all in the show. I would forgive the show only people not remembering who is. What we lacked is a party girl archer and her uggo boyfriend.

Uno is Gaidal Cain

As evidence he even fights with two swords

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The only thing I'm disappointed in is that Uno didn't get to return the favor and kill Alwhin. Because Guy Roberts and Jessica Boone being husband and wife in real life and their characters killing each other on the show would have just been perfection.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
So if you a’dam someone in control of the a’dam you’re wearing it just cancels it out?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Morrow posted:

Get wrecked Turak, you're a side villain.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

theblackw0lf posted:

So are we assuming they showed Birgette in the pan of the horn heroes?

I wonder which tall blonde ghost woman with a braid that they show shooting arrows into people's eyes over and over could be our mythical archer women???

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

DarkHorse posted:

Uno is Gaidal Cain

As evidence he even fights with two swords

Brings up some age gap drama if Birgitte is still hanging out in dream land, but also he did nothing this turn of the wheel other than get killed in really ugly way. I don't buy that as a theory just yet. I think its just a what would look cool thing and it didn't look that cool but also almost impossible to adapt

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Dr. Clockwork posted:

So if you a’dam someone in control of the a’dam you’re wearing it just cancels it out?

No you still feel what they feel but you can also make them feel things and you can also now channel without permission or something that was another one of my picked nits from the episode

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

birgitte may have already died this go-round

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I think they were both still under each other's mutual a'dam control but functionally at a stalemate which Egwene broke by simply having a stronger will than Renna did. Because she was cool with literally any outcome there once she got the collar on her--she won.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Dr. Clockwork posted:

The show a'dam works differently and I think it's supposed to mirror the male a'dam from the book more, Egwene basically linked them again so they could exert their will over each other and she, being a badass, out willed Renna and took total control. it's not an absolute control like the book, Renna should have been throwing fireballs through Egwene with no chance of her saying no. but I get them not wanting to damsel Egwene and give her agency over her escape, plus it shows she's willful as gently caress and perfect to be trained by wise ones and take over the tower.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
And she didn’t consider the collar a weapon?

I’m ok with most of the changes and understand why most of it happened but when they do something that had rules set IN the show, it bugs the hell out of me.

The Indiana Jones Turak thing was funny but man they are going all out on Rand never becoming a swordsman. Oh well.

I joked with a friend before watching that I couldn’t wait to watch Nynaeve fight Ishamael while Rand sits in the corner but I was wrong. It was Egwene :haw:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Data Graham posted:

Just gonna say that Rand's meet-cute with Elayne being done this way is approximately fifteen fuckloads more plausible and satisfying than in the book

I'm just quoting and reacting now but same. I always hated how it happens in the book.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Dr. Clockwork posted:

It becomes a paradox. Egwene could channel because she made Renna make Egwene channel. :psyduck: That beat the no-weapon rule.

The pain would be an out of control loop though.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I'm cool with Rand never actually learning to swordfight because, well, poo poo, he can just loving machine gun fuckers to death with fire from his mind. Who the hell needs a sword when you can do that?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

RC Cola posted:

I'm just quoting and reacting now but same. I always hated how it happens in the book.

And I don't so much even mean the "oops I fell off your garden wall" business to be clear, I mean more the stuff later in the Stone where she comes in and is all "Egwene and I had a talk and we bought and sold you between ourselves like a horse and now I'm going to send you some contradictory love letters to take with you on your quest and internal-monologue about for a few chapters, better get used to this cuz it's fate or something"

like... what

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

renna didn't channel because she doesn't know how to, and doesn't want to know

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Data Graham posted:

And I don't so much even mean the "oops I fell off your garden wall" business to be clear, I mean more the stuff later in the Stone where she comes in and is all "Egwene and I had a talk and we bought and sold you between ourselves like a horse and now I'm going to send you some contradictory love letters to take with you on your quest and internal-monologue about for a few chapters, better get used to this cuz it's fate or something"

like... what

being that deranged made it fun for me. I have more issue with little to no healing training Elayne healing the wound. People in their late teens and early 20s are very dramatic.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

That episode was wonderful. As usual there are some headscratching moments, but so far they've managed to make good on them as they come up so we'll see.

As far as nyneave goes, i'd have to say that Her not being able to channel right now makes a lot more sense for her growth. The first part of the season was all about how awesome she is. And now she is just helping Elayne up to the tower.

I can't imagine Novice Nyneave just going "I can't carry the channeling, but I can carry you!"

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

they should just lean into it and do five-headed dragon, and i don't even mean this as a complaint. if i'm a show watcher i'm substantially more invested in egwene and nynaeve than any of the fellas at this point, it's a new turning, have fun with it!

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Here's all my thoughts:

Rand being able to win that sword duel was always silly and self-indulgent, that was a great change.

The Children of the Light looked competent, dangerous, and noble, that was a great change.

Egwene protecting Rand from Ishy was an amazing change. Power levels are stupid and it was still made very clear that he was way stronger than her, just not strong enough to completely ace her effortlessly. All she could do was buy a couple minutes until Perrin showed up to buy ANOTHER couple of minutes until Rand could save the day. That's totally fine, great climax all around.

I literally squealed when Rand and Elayne had their meet cute, I could not contain it. :swoon: Having her heal his wound because Nynaeve just could not get her power going, even in that dire situation, was great, Elayne shone in general in this episode, and I can't wait to see how her relationship with Nynaeve is changed by these events. Also having her do it be the reason why it's going to be a throbbing scar for the rest of the series was a great change.

Perrin's bit with losing Hopper and going off on old man Bornhald hit REALLY different since the man and his son were both decent people fighting slaver scum just because it was the right thing to do in this version, that should lead to some really good stuff in the future.

Nynaeve torturing the Sul'dam and Egwene just watching Renna die was hard as gently caress. It was really interesting how dark everybody got in the lead up to Ishy's big pitch to Rand. Meanwhile Matt is the one person who overcomes all his temptations and doubts. Fantastic moment for my boy. His big moment with the horn and realizing the true nature of his past lives was so elevating, holy poo poo. Putting the dagger on a stick to avoid its evil influence was a LITTLE goofy, but I will allow it because it was dope as heck and I can't wait for him to get his proper naginata now.

I guess there are only 8 Forsaken in this version? Almost certainly a good change. That confrontation with Mogh was perfect, they way they've written Lanfear to have these occasional slivers of humanity even though they consistently reinforce that she's a horrible toxic monster and those glimmers of a good person are not indicative that she's redeemable is really compelling.

Brilliant finale. Can't wait for S3 now.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Ishy needed to learn something besides Magic Missile as an offensive spell.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

withak posted:

Ishy needed to learn something besides Magic Missile as an offensive spell.

He was also casting Melf's Minute Meteors.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Oh no one of the most powerful channelers of her age is collapsing under the onslaught if only some rear end in a top hat with a shield can prop up her shield somehow for a bit!

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Oh no one of the most powerful channelers of her age is collapsing under the onslaught if only some rear end in a top hat with a shield can prop up her shield somehow for a bit!

It was a vibranium shield from Wakanda, Ishy knew he was hosed as soon as the rest of the justice league avengers x-men two rivers kids showed up.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

It was a magic shield from a hero of the horn, c'mon.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

It's a magic that transcends channeling.

Also, shout out to the answer to "I just don't see how they're going to break out Loial and get the Horn from Turok in the time they have with all the other stuff that needs doing" being Lanfear did it off screen

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

Please keep doing these. They're wonderful. What I bolded? Amazing.

Here we are. Non-book reading wife's grand predictions after the finale.

Elayne is Tigraine reborn.
Lanfear helps Rand despite Moghedien threats.
There's a rift between Rand and Egwene over his lie, particularly since she's become hardened by her captivity.
The tower is divided and in shambles over the Dragon's escape and the Black Ajah being revealed to exist.
Dain Bornhold is on a personal vengeance plot to kill Perrin.
White Cloaks attack the tower.
Forsaken cause problems all over the world and the Two Rivers squad has to travel around fighting them and fixing the problems they make.
Elayne falls in love with Nynaeve (one-sided).
Mat makes peace with Min over her betrayal and she tells him a bunch of important Darkfriend information.
Trollocs turn out to be big cuddly teddy bears if you're just nice to them. Rand figures this out and becomes a men's rights activist AND a trolloc's rights activist.
The child at the Darkfriend meeting turns out to have some secret superpower and becomes a powerful weapon for the dark.
Elyas sees Perrin with the Two Rivers group and declares that he's now found his pack.
Nynaeve learns her own unique method of healing at a crucial moment.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Random thoughts about the finale:

I kind of doubt we’re going to see Mat demolish Galad and Gawyn with his staff. No extended convalescence from the dagger means no need to stumble around the tower half-dead. This makes me sad.

I am very pleased that the Whitecloaks are being presented as a mixed bag, with good people coexisting with the assholes like Valda who exist within their force. It makes them a lot more interesting as antagonists, and a lot more believable when Galad chooses to join them.

I do not care for the way Ingtar was never a Darkfriend. His return to the light at the end was an early example of “you’re never too far gone”, and especially if the show is going to toy with us about Lanfear doing a face turn it’s nice to have an example viewers can look at. We even had Loial give a “we are the heroes” speech that could have triggered Ingtar’s change of heart.

Too many shots of Nynaeve doing nothing for Elayne. Time wasted there that could have been spent on other plot lines.

Mat’s character is verifiably more Light in the show than he was in the books (despite Ishy’s claim that Mat has always been dark), going from “I’m no hero” (even if he did do the heroic thing) to “I’m a hero of the horn”. I guess we’ll get less hypocrisy from Mat as he keeps saying he isn’t a hero between trips into burning orphanages to save puppies.

I started to type that Perrin is darker, but he kills a couple of Whitecloaks in the books in a blood rage over Hopper’s death. I guess it’s just much more impactful when you see it on screen. Still unclear why Laila had to be fridged in S1E1, since Perrin is apparently already over his aversion to violence.

Two movie references for you all. The Indiana Jones-style handling of Turak was delightful, even if we were robbed of both sword fights. The second reference is to Home Alone. There’s a scene toward the end where Marv tries to smush a spider with a crowbar, but misses and lays into Harry instead. As Geofram Bornhald walked over and swung his axe at full strength towards Hopper, I couldn’t help but notice that Valda was directly underneath the wolf. If Bornhald had missed Hopper, he would have annihilated Valda.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Grundulum posted:

Random thoughts about the finale:

As Geofram Bornhald walked over and swung his axe at full strength towards Hopper, I couldn’t help but notice that Valda was directly underneath the wolf. If Bornhald had missed Hopper, he would have annihilated Valda.

A bit of foreshadowing for Ishy tricking Mat into spearing Rand.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Episode owned and I am super stoked for spiders

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Grundulum posted:

I started to type that Perrin is darker, but he kills a couple of Whitecloaks in the books in a blood rage over Hopper’s death. I guess it’s just much more impactful when you see it on screen. Still unclear why Laila had to be fridged in S1E1, since Perrin is apparently already over his aversion to violence.

Two movie references for you all. The Indiana Jones-style handling of Turak was delightful, even if we were robbed of both sword fights.

I think that It's doing the job though. Perrin does do violence, but he is usually the first to try and not start it, or stop it once it starts. He stops Avi from killing Dain, he is the one that stands in front of the squad to keep anyone from murking whoever runs out of the smoke. I don't think we ever see him instigate any violence, up until hopper.

Still could have found a better way than fridging to do it, but it's doing what it was there to do.

I feel that given the complaints about how Lan sucks with fighting this whole season, even after facing 3 fades on screen at the same time, having Rand just show up and take down a blade master would have been met with derision. Rightly so. We know he's been doing some training, but he can't even take on one fade.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Episode owned and I am super stoked for spiders

yeah she was my favorite book forsaken

the mat plot stuff was really fun. serious whiplash between Good Show and Clownshoes Storytelling. honestly hope nynaeve doing a 24 messes her up a bit

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

THE FIGUREHEAD OF THE SEANCHAN SHIP IS A THREE-EYED MONSTER :woop:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Padan Fain going from the platonic ideal of smug to literally doing the three stooges whoop whoop whoop run the gently caress away gag when Mat bursts out of the room with the improvised dagger glaive was amazing.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I kinda legit forgot Fain existed in S2 after how good he was in S1. His appearance in the last ep just highlighted how good he was; the very brief scene in the room with Mat was two actors having some fun.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
i liked the whitecloaks' armour and the heroes of the horn, but man everything else in the episode was corny as gently caress. moghedian was practically wearing an invader zim t-shirt.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

exmarx posted:

the heroes of the horn should look like the gods in tarsem singh's immortals

not as good, but not a million miles away :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I love that while they cut down on the number of Forsaken they still used Turak to give us our Be'lal moment

They pretty much nailed the finale. Especially the way they tied all of Mat's various bits together - I did a full :neckbeard: when I realised he was making the ashandarei. I also loved everything they did with Perrin from Hopper's death to the Whitecloaks to using the shield at the end. The Heroes of the Horn looked incredible, Rand and Elayne is already a way better ship than it ever was in the books, I'm glad that they didn't just write off Masema and holy poo poo Androgynous Queer Moghedien rules rules rules. Laia Costa was having so much fun.