Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Finale spoiler:

So Lanfear carries Rand to Falme and then apparently just cuts him loose to wander around the city, while she goes and toys with Ishamael?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

seanchan soldiers on the beach way the gently caress away from anything so Lan has something to do while Moiraine does her thing

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Nihilarian posted:

seanchan soldiers on the beach way the gently caress away from anything so Lan has something to do while Moiraine does her thing

Yeah that about sums that scene up.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Glad we got one last costume change.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Time to sink or soar, yeah.

Greetings from the future. They stuck the landing so hard they demolished the concrete :neckbeard:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I thought that was pretty great.

Except cmon fuckin Nynaeve still can't figure out how to do her thing on command lol, twelve different shots of her and Elayne sitting there with the arrow wound while everyone else is off doing stuff.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

nine-gear crow posted:

Greetings from the future. They stuck the landing so hard they demolished the concrete :neckbeard:

I'm gonna go sit on my porch and smoke a cigar now

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

do you just not like to have fun

he caught two arrows right out of the air

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 6, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Phenotype posted:

do you just not like to have fun

he caught two arrows right out of the air

AND KILLED THREE DUDES WITH THEM :supaburn:

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

That was…pretty rough in some spots. Notably mat being clumsily forced to blow the horn. Him running into a gigantic wall of soldiers just kinda standing around was rushed and so transparently set up for the hero’s to not seem useless. Also perrin finding the other group extremely randomly, ishamael just standing in one spot blasting away at egwene while plot points get hit in the background. Everyone on the tower except two getting blown away. Just real clumsy storytelling

I’m ok with them going off-book especially for them to accommodate a different medium, but use some of your 100 million dollars to pay writers to write compelling tv.

Calenth
Jul 11, 2001

i'm so happy right now

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

They didn’t gently caress it up!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Phenotype posted:

Except cmon fuckin Nynaeve still can't figure out how to do her thing on command lol, twelve different shots of her and Elayne sitting there with the arrow wound while everyone else is off doing stuff.

But enough about the book lol

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

meanolmrcloud posted:

That was…pretty rough in some spots. Notably mat being clumsily forced to blow the horn. Him running into a gigantic wall of soldiers just kinda standing around was rushed and so transparently set up for the hero’s to not seem useless. Also perrin finding the other group extremely randomly, ishamael just standing in one spot blasting away at egwene while plot points get hit in the background. Everyone on the tower except two getting blown away. Just real clumsy storytelling

I’m ok with them going off-book especially for them to accommodate a different medium, but use some of your 100 million dollars to pay writers to write compelling tv.

ta'veren

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

meanolmrcloud posted:

mat being clumsily forced to blow the horn. Him running into a gigantic wall of soldiers just kinda standing around was rushed and so transparently set up for the hero’s to not seem useless.

Okay, I did think it was hilarious that he runs into the single biggest concentration of soldiers we've ever seen on-screen at the same time, like 50 actual human extras in armor, when every other scene has like 8 dudes and you just have to imagine that there are a hundred more just off screen. But I think they were guarding the wizards in the tower, weren't they? It would make sense to have a sizeable force right there so that any weirdo with a magic dagger can't come by and shank all your wizards.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah it's kind of a really big clump of dudes on the bridge, but they are literally meant to be guarding the nexus of damane and sul'dam up on the tower that are raining hellfire on the battlefield. a lot of the seanchan might comes from them literally and figuratively having channelers on a tight leash.

i think the goofier/weirder troop involvement is them randomly rushing moiraine and lan on the beach. what was that.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah .

i think the goofier/weirder troop involvement is them randomly rushing moiraine and lan on the beach. what was that.

Pattern made it happen because if she wasn't under threat she wouldn't have been able to do what she did in self.defense

Ta'veren

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah it's kind of a really big clump of dudes on the bridge, but they are literally meant to be guarding the nexus of damane and sul'dam up on the tower that are raining hellfire on the battlefield. a lot of the seanchan might comes from them literally and figuratively having channelers on a tight leash.

Yeah, I literally said out loud to my wife “where the hell did they come from?” when they popped on screen

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Johnny Joestar posted:

Corporal up on the bluff all "Attack one at a time so that you may be defeated"

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Well, onto the third and final season!

Obligatory oh my god they killed Renny (you bastards).

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Pattern made it happen because if she wasn't under threat she wouldn't have been able to do what she did in self.defense

Ta'veren

Given Moiraine's worldview, I think it's totally reasonable that her pov is "Those people are channeling at what I think is the Dragon, and if the Dragon dies, the Dark one destroys the world, which means *I* die, which means I'm acting in defense of my life!"

Perfectly reasonable Aes Sedai justification!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I hope they go back and put the drat opening back in every episode of the season now. It was so satisfying to see it back.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Phenotype posted:

i honestly chuckled loudly when they cut back to them after 10 minutes and they they are in the same exact place then another 6 minutes goes by and they are still the same exact but finally moving.

Thought it was a good finale and season (Not a book reader). I rather enjoyed it bit more than the first.

Very happy Egwene got her brutal revenge on Renna

I think the only person I just do not care about still is Perrin.

Also, I'm interested in at least listening to the audiobook. Which book(s) should I listen to not be more spoiled than the show by much? Basically to keep pace best one could

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 6, 2023

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.
After watching the finale I’m a bit confused about Ishamael.

I thought the show made it pretty clear that Ishamael wanted to destroy the wheel/universe because he was sick of living the same life over and over and basically lusted for oblivion over the wheel continuing to turn.

The implication being that either he can’t die or he will just end up being reborn again in another age and somehow remember all his past lives.

Why then did he seem so happy when Rand killed him? Wouldn’t he just be reborn again later and essentially have all his plans set back? It seemed like the show was trying to imply he was happy he was finally dead and got his peace, but if it was that easy why didn’t he just have Rand (or Lews) kill him and avoid the whole destroying the universe bit? I feel like Im missing something here.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

he did try to get lews to kill him, lews said nah

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Nihilarian posted:

he did try to get lews to kill him, lews said nah

Fine, then why not have anyone else kill him? If he just wanted to die then his whole plot to destroy the universe seems a bit superfluous. Did Rand kill him in some extra special way that permanently kills him, like shooting someone in the stack in Altered Carbon?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Seph posted:

Fine, then why not have anyone else kill him? If he just wanted to die then his whole plot to destroy the universe seems a bit superfluous. Did Rand kill him in some extra special way that permanently kills him, like shooting someone in the stack in Altered Carbon?

I'm not sure we saw.an answer for that tonight.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Flowing Thot posted:

Glad we got one last costume change.

Lanfear always needs one more costume.

Edit:

Infantry patrols around a city are a normal thing. It's not like soldiers just sit in one little spot and wait around.

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 6, 2023

dstyle
Jul 24, 2006
Big frowny face at Rand deciding to just Raiders of the Lost Ark on Turak

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

dstyle posted:

I thought it was perfect.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Digital Jedi posted:

i honestly chuckled loudly when they cut back to them after 10 minutes and they they are in the same exact place then another 6 minutes goes by and they are still the same exact but finally moving.

Thought it was a good finale and season (Not a book reader). I rather enjoyed it bit more than the first.

Very happy Egwene got her brutal revenge on Renna

I think the only person I just do not care about still is Perrin.

Also, I'm interested in at least listening to the audiobook. Which book(s) should I listen to not be more spoiled than the show by much? Basically to keep pace best one could

You could listen to the first two books just fine, probably the first 3. You'll run in to some odd stuff, but I don't think the first three will spill much more than the show has. The end of book three in particular has a ton of stuff not seen in the show, but all indications are we simply aren't going to see that stuff at all on screen. Narrative wise the end of book 2 and 3 are very similar, so they kinda got combined. The next season is going to match up with book 4.

As a show watcher you actually kinda know a lot more in some areas than you would in the first 3 books.

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013
The one thing about this episode that really bothered me was Moiraine being way overpowered. She took out a whole fleet by herself, from a couple miles away no less. And it could have been “fixed” so easily: the show has already explained sa’angreal, all they needed was Lanfear to toss one at her along with the “fly the banner when the time comes” comment.

Seph posted:

I think Ishamael is going to be reborn like everyone else as the wheel continues to turn. He wants to end it altogether, but after 3000 years I think he’s happy to have at least a temporary oblivion.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Gwaihir posted:

You could listen to the first two books just fine, probably the first 3. You'll run in to some odd stuff, but I don't think the first three will spill much more than the show has. The end of book three in particular has a ton of stuff not seen in the show, but all indications are we simply aren't going to see that stuff at all on screen. Narrative wise the end of book 2 and 3 are very similar, so they kinda got combined. The next season is going to match up with book 4.

As a show watcher you actually kinda know a lot more in some areas than you would in the first 3 books.

I sort of disagree with the above. I agree that books 1 and 2 are safe, but I believe that major arcs from both books 3 and 4 will be the primary plots of season 3 of the show. If you want to remain totally in the dark about upcoming events I would stay away from book 3 because there are too many interesting scenes and moments that haven’t yet been on-screen, but very easily could be.

Obviously can’t go into more detail here, given that any explanation would require book spoilers.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Gwaihir posted:

You could listen to the first two books just fine, probably the first 3.

I'm going to strongly disagree on the 3rd book. No I can not explain why.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

dstyle posted:

best part of the episode hands down

lan on the beach, nynaeve doing a macgruber bit and ishamael blastin' away were comically bad

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Uno's having a great time being dead! Good for him

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

nine-gear crow posted:

:hellyeah:

Vim Fuego fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Oct 6, 2023

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

i say swears online posted:

best part of the episode hands down

lan on the beach, nynaeve doing a macgruber bit and ishamael blastin' away were comically bad

oh come on, lan grabbed an arrow out of the air and stabbed a guy in the neck with it. He's not an aes sedai but he's channeling Legolas

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

Seph posted:

After watching the finale I’m a bit confused about Ishamael.

I thought the show made it pretty clear that Ishamael wanted to destroy the wheel/universe because he was sick of living the same life over and over and basically lusted for oblivion over the wheel continuing to turn.

The implication being that either he can’t die or he will just end up being reborn again in another age and somehow remember all his past lives.

Why then did he seem so happy when Rand killed him? Wouldn’t he just be reborn again later and essentially have all his plans set back? It seemed like the show was trying to imply he was happy he was finally dead and got his peace, but if it was that easy why didn’t he just have Rand (or Lews) kill him and avoid the whole destroying the universe bit? I feel like Im missing something here.

The way I'm seeing it is his main goal is to destroy the wheel forever, but as we saw in the cold open tonight he'll accept dying normally as a consolation prize. Despite Lanfear getting the finale ball rolling before Ishamael was ready, he still tried to pitch the heel turn to Rand, and when that didn't work he was happy that at least he got his backup prize of normal death. Something I just considered but haven't yet convinced myself of in relation to all this: it's possible that having the possibility of normal death in sight is what made him fight so poorly after Rand rejected his offer to turn to the dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I don't give a poo poo about tactical troop movements, finale owned.

Things I Liked:

All our friends coming back together :3:

Mat realising he's a good guy :unsmith: Also the way they did Min's viewing was smart

Egwene turning the tables on Renna

Turak getting straight up merked, Rand ain't got time for that poo poo

Elayne being that new person in the friend group who you don't really know but your bestie loves her so you just gotta go along with it

Moghedien is incredible and I am so here for the rest of the Forsaken

Things I Didn't Like:

Nynaeve being straight up useless all season long

Ingtar's sacrifice got done dirty

HOPPER NOOOOO :cry:

Real strong season of TV all in all