Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Very forward-thinking of Mrs Clovis to account for new advances in fornication technology, even if she doesn't understand them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

John A posted:

Chase and Status! I think gripping the arms of an armchair while trying to fight off your personal demons is a David Milch thing. I’ve been re-watching NYPD Blue on Disney+ but eight seasons in I don’t think I’ve reached the evocation of this particular act yet. Or it could be from literally any other gritty police drama I have watched. I seem to have watched a lot of them.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

I would argue that it’s more of a leaflet than a pamphlet, but everyone’s heart seems to be in the right place.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

When this is your go-to for piety, something is desperately amiss.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

Poor Derek. Whatever he thought was going to happen today is, almost certainly, not going to happen now.

Doing whatever you want is what being a Satanist is all about, Tom.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

That's a very visually effective gag.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

Billie always has the answer. She’s a dynamo of organisation.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

Who’s your favourite sorcerous figure on-stage at Witchfork x Oggy Oggy? I know there are a lot of Endora Rahm and Debra Blight fans, but like everyone else, I’m a huge Sorrel fan. I am very sorry to have to disappoint you and say that Sorrel doesn’t appear at any further point in this story. Let’s hope the “Maven of the Craven” manifests in a future arc.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

There’s an easy way to enjoy the Q&A segment of an onstage interview. Leave before it starts. I’d love to tell you which is the worst I’ve ever been to but it’s such a grisly pantheon that my mind shuts down in the simple act of recall.

I saw an interview with Kevin Rowland of Dexys Midnight Runners last year. Kevin was so compelling an onstage figure that just the act of watching him listen, in rapt silence, to his own remastered record, was a joy. In the Q&A, not one man jack in the audience didn’t want to ask a question, and by ask a question, I mean compliment the great man with a tortuous personal anecdote. Trapped in a corner, there was no option but to wait for a curfew than ever seemed to come.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

Looks like a piece of vintage Rotastak there, bit of class. I always thought Rotastak was a bit tight on size for a proper hamster. Fine for a little one. But that was the 1990s. Perhaps they’ve got bigger. Like cars have. Aren’t cars BIG these days? And don’t policemen look young?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

Little Green Witch is definitely my new favourite character. I’ve been waiting months for this page to run so you can meet her. It is my fervent hope that she will return. I suppose only I can make that happen.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

Poor Maggie can’t seem to shake these two.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Now we're cookin'!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

Today’s comic required some effort to achieve a good package scan. And significant research into how people who are serious about Airfix kits put them together. I have never given Airfix very much thought.

Arcs of Fire was a real shop in Falmouth that sold (almost exclusively, if not exclusively) prints of military vehicles engaged in combat. It was my favourite shop in town and when it closed, a door closed inside me. Just as the ITV Chart Show runs in perpetuity in the Bobbinsverse, so too will Arcs of Fire burn forever.

I don’t think Brian was actually going to meet “a man who has some rough stuff going on in a barn” at all.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Alas, poor Rev

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

I didn’t have to draw all those roofs, but I did. No one’s asking for this.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

I had a great time reading about Victorian seances. Nobody could be bothered with this stuff now. Victorian society is a hotbed of pastimes from an era before pissing your brief candle away on gentle pursuits had been truly mastered. Lost arts in their hundreds. All that remains is Backgammon and I bet no one remembers how to play it.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Heck yes.

I love reading about Victorian seance stuff. Someone needs to make an earnest horror movie about ectoplasm shenanigans again.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

Devil’s Bane is an interesting drink. It’s a bit like Life Cry.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Those witches :argh:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Maggie looks so happy in that picture. :)

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love

amigolupus posted:

Maggie looks so happy in that picture. :)

Hell, Mrs Clovis looks happy in that picture, it's very sweet

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

It is endearing that even though everything Maggie does somehow annoys Mrs Clovis, they have become legit close.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

Here we reprise events that took place in Steeple volume 1, still available from Dark Horse through the usual channels.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
If these two witches had brains, they'd be signficantly less dangerous.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
La!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

Poor Brian. He just wants to be friends with the Reverend. How can he show him that he is worthy? Good luck Brian. We’re all pulling for you.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Aw, Brian. Do your best!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

I’m not sure if couscous was on Mrs Clovis’ pamphlet (leaflet). It’s a pretty innocuous grain, after all. I suppose it can be a vehicle for some decadent mezzes. Use your imagination.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

In Steeple volume 1, Reverend Penrose falls afoul of witches. I don’t think it’s happened since. He doesn’t do well with them, and tends to steer clear.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Hello Allisonverse thread! I've been posting Scary-Go-Round over in the Newspaper Comics thread (since Bad Machinery and Steeple get posted there as well), doing 3-4 strips per day so people can read through the origins of Tackleford start to finish. Saoshyant PMed me and asked if I would mind posting it here as well, and I thought that would be an excellent idea.

For people who have read SGR before, we've just finished the arc that introduces Natalie. If you haven't read SGR before, or you have and you want to catch up, here's a link to my posts in the other thread, starting with the very first SGR strip: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4020900&userid=182533&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post533850809

I'm trying to keep the pacing as sane as possible without absolutely flooding threads with SGR, particularly because we've entered the period where Allison wasn't 100% sure whether or not he wanted to stick with 4 panels per day or 6. Once we get to the point where he settles on 6, I'll probably scale it back to 3 strips a day. At that pace we'll get through the entire run in about a year and a half. Starting tomorrow: Amy gets a job!

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

You're doing the lord's work, Kazinsal

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I, for one, appreciate it.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Kazinsal posted:

For people who have read SGR before, we've just finished the arc that introduces Natalie. If you haven't read SGR before, or you have and you want to catch up, here's a link to my posts in the other thread, starting with the very first SGR strip: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4020900&userid=182533&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post533850809

Oh, lol. This has quite suddenly reminded me that there was a time that SGR was supposed to not be about Shelley Winters. She was supposed to stay in Bobbins!

Mad to imagine.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Oh, lol. This has quite suddenly reminded me that there was a time that SGR was supposed to not be about Shelley Winters. She was supposed to stay in Bobbins!

Mad to imagine.

Yeah, I can't even begin to think of what that would look like.

Scary Go Round (November 24-27, 2003)

drat, Len. That's cold.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear.

I’m still playing catch-up on the time I lost writing in August/September, so Steeple will return next Friday. Issue 19 will be available in full as a PDF on my Patreon on Monday November 6th.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

That's a lotta cheesecloth!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I hope in the end it was still Billie's choice because it's much more interesting that way

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I hope in the end it was still Billie's choice because it's much more interesting that way

I read the webcomic before the Dark Horse stuff, and I definitely think it's more interesting if Billie chose this life (maybe with the hoover curse as a catalyst) vs. being hoover cursed into it. So yeah, I hope so too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I guess we'll find out soon, as Allison just sent out a newsletter with this important note:

John A posted:

Steeple has continued throughout 2023, building towards what will likely be the final chapter, issue 20. Issue 18 just wrapped up

Two issues to go if this is the plan.