Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Scias from Breath of Fire 4 would have been my first guess.

There is a Tactical RPG for the PSP that has a dog man companion named Rufus, the game is called Jeanne d'Arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dog man also makes me think of one of the Suikoden's but I can't remember if any were drunks

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
It's breath of fire 4! Thanks, now I can finally finish reading it :)

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Got some vague memories of a game when I happened across a screenshot of Roketz, but it's not that game.

-Same category of game in that you're flying a spaceship from a sideview, left and right for 360 degree rotation and up for thrust
-Had a vertical splitscreen mode, may have even been 2 player only
-I think I remember the ship being a simple green triangle with some nice shading
-Ran on DOS
-Probably freeware

Edit: nevermind, it's Rocket Chase.

Dip Viscous fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 7, 2023

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Trying to find this 2D game where you were controlling a circular spaceship that had to draw a circle around other ships and enclose them in the circle to destroy them.

Might have been on a MAC, probably late 90s early 00s EXTREME!!! style

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

This seems familiar, as a Mac gamer in that time range. Did the circles emanate from the player, and you had to be careful that nothing hit them while they expanded?

Or perhaps drawing any shape to block off the field but again as an enclosure game you'd get hurt or whatever if there were any collisions while drawing?

stringless fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Oct 8, 2023

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Fried Watermelon posted:

Trying to find this 2D game where you were controlling a circular spaceship that had to draw a circle around other ships and enclose them in the circle to destroy them.

Might have been on a MAC, probably late 90s early 00s EXTREME!!! style
Boogaloopers?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

FFT posted:

This seems familiar, as a Mac gamer in that time range. Did the circles emanate from the player, and you had to be careful that nothing hit them while they expanded?

Or perhaps drawing any shape to block off the field but again as an enclosure game you'd get hurt or whatever if there were any collisions while drawing?

They emanate from the player

That might be it but I remember it having smoother and "better" graphics. Gameplay is exactly what I remember though.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Looks like a clone of the arcade game Quantum, and there were a lot of those.

A remake of that just came out, though! https://store.steampowered.com/app/2460490/Quantum_Recharged/

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

All of the sound effects in this game are burned into my brain and I had zero recollection of ever playing it prior to watching this video. So thanks!

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Nidhogg is an easy to get into competitive Playstation game.

Last night I played what struck me as being the XBox version of Nidhogg, except it was a race through levels instead of tug-of-war and it had a grappling hook on X that only works on the ceilings with white lines. Similar graphical quality (i.e. none, but with style). The longer a run goes the smaller the viewable area gets and runs end when all opponents have been killed by not staying on the screen and it's best of three I guess?

What did I play?

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

That's SpeedRunners.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Yep that's definitely it, thanks!

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Crossposting from Adventure Game thread!

Noir89 posted:

Ok this is a long shot and I might misremember, but when I was a little kid I remember playing a game with a magitech style where you as the player where dying from some black disease and you where shunned by other NPCs. I remember that, there was a city on an island I think? If you failed you got this cutscene of you dying to the disease. If anyone recognize a game from that description I would love to get a name to lookup :)

Tried google but can't find anything so I might have dreamt it all as well :v:

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Noir89 posted:

When did you play it, and do you remember the system? Did it use a text parser or was it point and click? What about the graphics style? 2d, 3d?

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

PC and probably around 2000, I was very young at least. I think I remember the protagnoist have blue/white clothes like ancient Greek or Roman style. 3D I am pretty sure it was.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Hyper Inferno posted:

Trying to remember an old music game that showed sheet music and then sang a song to it. Most notable was that it had several renditions of Over the River and Through the Woods that it would play with different variations of each time. Kind of cartoony graphics I think with woodland animals?
Do you remember what system it was on?

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Noir89 posted:

Is it Dark Earth? (Probably shouldn't open that link at work)

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Yeah, I'll second Dark Earth for that description. It takes place on a post-apocalyptic Earth where asteroids have led to an environment where the sunlight can't reach most places (hence the title). The places that still remain are probably on mountains of hilltops, and people now worship the sun. So that's what you are thinking of when you say city on an island.

The black disease comes from trying to stop an assassination attempt and getting hit by a nasty poison.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Oct 13, 2023

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

Holy poo poo guys, that must be it. Watched a few minutes of a lets play and I recognize parts of it. I definitely remembered some things wrong but maybe not that weird since I was like 10 years old then :D

Many thanks for the help!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Dark Earth rules, it's a little gem of the 90s.

Ostrava
Aug 21, 2014
I remember playing a game something like 15-20 years ago. Probably CD or DVD installed.

The game is an isometric view with fighting game like combos. You're a swordsman of some sort, even kind of witcher like. The game had sync animation style finishers and I distinctly remember a stomping squash on medium-ish spider enemies.

The word "Revenant" seems to stick in my mind about this title.

Progression was definitely part of the game but I don't remember the specific mechanic. I do remember unlocking new moves that fed into combos. The graphics were 3d and had clearly visible individual polygons circa the original tomb raiders.

There was a town central to the map that was safe, it was really reminiscent and probably inspired by Diablo.

----

Edit: Typing it all out actually may have provided the answers. GoG has a game called "Revenant" that was also published under another title that looks really similar. I bet I had the other title some how.

Ostrava fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 13, 2023

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ostrava posted:

I remember playing a game something like 15-20 years ago. Probably CD or DVD installed.

The game is an isometric view with fighting game like combos. You're a swordsman of some sort, even kind of witcher like. The game had sync animation style finishers and I distinctly remember a stomping squash on medium-ish spider enemies.

The word "Revenant" seems to stick in my mind about this title.

Progression was definitely part of the game but I don't remember the specific mechanic. I do remember unlocking new moves that fed into combos. The graphics were 3d and had clearly visible individual polygons circa the original tomb raiders.

There was a town central to the map that was safe, it was really reminiscent and probably inspired by Diablo.

Revenant is the name of this game here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxESGanJxhM

Ostrava
Aug 21, 2014

Hwurmp posted:

Revenant is the name of this game here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxESGanJxhM

Yep yep that's definitely it. Reading the Wiki article it was originally called "Forsaken: The Thrall of Chaos." and apparently underwent a few other names changes which is probably my confusion.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Oldstench posted:

Do you remember what system it was on?

It was PC, I think it was after DOS started fading out?

I listened to a recording of the Over the River song and the version I remember has a completely different rhythm. It's kind of hard to describe in text, but the rhythm of the song in the game was syncopated quarter notes instead of steady eighth notes. I can still hum this altered version in my mind. The thing about it is that it had multiple variations tied to different seasons and this version of the song I believe was the fall version?

The full lyrics of the part I can remember go something like: "Over the river (pause) and through the woods (pause) to Grandmother's house we go! We've got ants in our pants and are doing our dance..."

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
Oh, that's fascinating. I've never heard one with altered lyrics like that, but I stopped actually checking my archives long ago.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
Looking for a 2d graphic adventure game I played back in the early 00s, in the vein of the Humongous Entertainment games like Pajama Sam and Freddy Fish - it’s not one of their games, I’ve checked. It’s not Sam and Max, either, but it’s definitely a Sam and Max rip off looking back at it. Two guys, one big and one small, both animals, both ostensibly detectives. I think the game was just called [X and Y], maybe with a subtitle.

I remember in the game I played they had been captured by pirates and were forced to walk the plank. My friend owned it, I did not, and when I went over to his house again to play it some more he said that the game was too easy and we should play Pajama Sam instead, so I never finished it.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Max and Sam

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Xam dna Mas.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011

tinaun posted:

Looking for a 2d graphic adventure game I played back in the early 00s, in the vein of the Humongous Entertainment games like Pajama Sam and Freddy Fish - it’s not one of their games, I’ve checked. It’s not Sam and Max, either, but it’s definitely a Sam and Max rip off looking back at it. Two guys, one big and one small, both animals, both ostensibly detectives. I think the game was just called [X and Y], maybe with a subtitle.

I remember in the game I played they had been captured by pirates and were forced to walk the plank. My friend owned it, I did not, and when I went over to his house again to play it some more he said that the game was too easy and we should play Pajama Sam instead, so I never finished it.

Is it this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHa4p539JO4&t=2144s
because it sort of fits and was made by some offshoot of Humongous that you might have missed.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Woodruff and the Schnibble of Azimuth?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Quicksilver6 posted:

Woodruff and the Schnibble of Azimuth?
I don't think anyone in possession of their faculties would call that game easy.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Hello thread! Looking for the name of an old maybe DOS or Win 95 era fantasy adventure game. At least VGA 256 color graphics. I remember it being mostly visual novel style of gameplay and presentation, I don't remember if it had a text parser or full point and click interface. In addition to the VN stuff, there was a segment where you had to sneak past enemy armies on like an overhead map. I don't remember much of the plot, but there was a situation of a city being sieged by undead, and you had to travel upriver to find out what was poisoning the river and creating the zombies. In the final scene of the game, you had to attack an evil sentient mind controlling book instead of the supposed main bad guy in order to win, otherwise you'd get a bad ending. That evil book was probably a big plot element.

It could have been based on some kind of Lord of the Rings derivative paperback fantasy novel, it had that kind of basic rear end hero's journey vibe to it.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

4 inch cut no femmes posted:

Is it this
because it sort of fits and was made by some offshoot of Humongous that you might have missed.

Yeah this was it, totally

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

4 inch cut no femmes posted:

Is it this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHa4p539JO4&t=2144s

This kid sounds like the racist Calvin from that Up knockoff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuv9WiQLv6g

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Trying to remember the name of an old playstation JRPG that I read about on the LP Archive.

I recall it being about large-scale combats, with the idea that almost everyone in the world could cast magic and used natural materials for weapons, like stone, wood, etc. because it let them cast magic more effectively.

The main character and folks like him could not use magic, so they instead suited up in steel full plate and butchered the enemy because it turns out that sticks and stones don't do so well against steel (and wearing steel effectively shuts off magic, so most people wouldn't do it).

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

I'm pretty certain that's Saga Frontier 2.

Here's the LP

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3680719

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Pulsarcat posted:

I'm pretty certain that's Saga Frontier 2.

Here's the LP

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3680719

Thanks!

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
NOTE: I swear I posted a reply to this earlier but I don't see it in the thread and I didn't get any kind of notification/message for having it removed, so apologies if I shouldn't be re-posting this.

StoryTime posted:

Hello thread! Looking for the name of an old maybe DOS or Win 95 era fantasy adventure game. At least VGA 256 color graphics. I remember it being mostly visual novel style of gameplay and presentation, I don't remember if it had a text parser or full point and click interface. In addition to the VN stuff, there was a segment where you had to sneak past enemy armies on like an overhead map. I don't remember much of the plot, but there was a situation of a city being sieged by undead, and you had to travel upriver to find out what was poisoning the river and creating the zombies. In the final scene of the game, you had to attack an evil sentient mind controlling book instead of the supposed main bad guy in order to win, otherwise you'd get a bad ending. That evil book was probably a big plot element.

It could have been based on some kind of Lord of the Rings derivative paperback fantasy novel, it had that kind of basic rear end hero's journey vibe to it.

When you said "Lord of the Rings derivative", the first thing that came to my mind was the Sword of Shannara novels. Funny enough, they did make a game adaptation based on that series and it does look like what you are describing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Rm5S80cPyM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

homewrecker posted:

When you said "Lord of the Rings derivative", the first thing that came to my mind was the Sword of Shannara novels. Funny enough, they did make a game adaptation based on that series and it does look like what you are describing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Rm5S80cPyM

This is definitely it, the final scene is about swording a book just like I remembered. Thanks! Maybe I won't bother replaying this, there seems to be even more heads talking at each other than I thought.