Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Tories lost their deposit? Lol!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The difficulty with soldiers is either you end up with dry dull toast or you end up with floppy soldiers.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Microplastics posted:

Yeah but you need an IK to carry out the Will Of The People

Just make OwlFancier IK and check back in a month. It's not like it can't be undone and it won't give him the ability to forever destroy the thread. A trial period, if you will.

Done.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Mebh posted:

I just don't get how both Parties are so aggressively loving bad at literally everything.

Is it just really as simple that they're always trying to hide how shittily corrupt and bought they all are, but they're just a bit too thick to pretend to be genuine about anything?

It's structural, I guess: power in this country is arranged in a way that means people like that end up running the country. I mean, look at what happens to people who don't fit that pattern (Jeremy Corbyn). If you're a sinister billionaire/ giant corporation, you want politicians who are easily corruptible and also too dumb and lazy to get their own ideas and start trying to wiggle the levers of power on their own account.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

what if you microwave it after its cooled down

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
lol congrats on your new star OwlFancier

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Thus begins the rule of OwlFancier, First of his Name. May his reign be fair and just, and remembered for its nice pictures of Saltburn beach

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

Pistol_Pete posted:

It's structural, I guess: power in this country is arranged in a way that means people like that end up running the country. I mean, look at what happens to people who don't fit that pattern (Jeremy Corbyn). If you're a sinister billionaire/ giant corporation, you want politicians who are easily corruptible and also too dumb and lazy to get their own ideas and start trying to wiggle the levers of power on their own account.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and I believe you're 100% right.

There's nothing that terrifies big businesses and bankers more than the idea of an efficient, practical government. They need them to be as corrupt, scandalous and thick as possible, so that the general populace will focus on THEIR awfulness rather than the horrors of the system that allowed them to amass vast sums of wealth. That way, if they propose any sort of regulation or taxation, the businesses and their paid-for mates in the media class can say, "THIS lot thinks they can tell businesses what to do? But look how thick they are!".

So they support their old underlings like Sunak, Truss, Kwarteng and Starmer, to ensure that we have no hope, and no visible future other than a continuation of the awful present.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Jakabite posted:

May his reign be fair and just

lol get a load of this guy

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I would suggest Owlfancier is the worst.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Let it be known that I've always thought of OwlFancier as a fair and decent individual and I never believed those rumours

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Long live Owlfancier!

(This has been a paid-for post on behalf of the Sucking Up To IKs Party.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bel Shazar posted:

As long as whatever you add to it tomorrow is either
A) warm or
B) bacon, lettuce, and tomato with mayo
It's toast and you're fine :)

MENE MENE TEKEL UPHARSIN

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
God Save Our Idiot King

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Jedit posted:

MENE MENE TEKEL UPHARSIN

As I consider myself a citizen of earth... and America considers me American, this is wholly accurate.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

It's a Seismic Victory! (copyright every news channel)

starmers labour have recovered from the worst result in labour history in 2019 by...getting less votes in Rutherglen than Corbyn's labour candidate did! Hooray for sensible adults in charge!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I knew this OwlFancier before he had fancy buttons and he doesn't frighten me

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

I knew this OwlFancier before he had fancy buttons and he doesn't frighten me

Clearly you’ve not seen what being an IK does to a person

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Breakfast chat yesterday inspired me to have egg and soldiers this morning. It was good, thanks thread.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I would suggest Owlfancier is the worst.

That kinda talk is gonna get ya the Banhammer round these parts son

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Oh dear.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Nuclear Spoon posted:

God Save Our Idiot King

from Idiot Liz Truss

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

hyper from Pixie Sticks posted:

starmers labour have recovered from the worst result in labour history in 2019 by...getting less votes in Rutherglen than Corbyn's labour candidate did! Hooray for sensible adults in charge!

Yeah, just been looking: that constituency was created in 2005; there's been 6 general elections there and Labour's 2023 victory, with 17,845 votes is the lowest number of votes they've ever had in that constituency. What this election was really about was the collapse in support for the SNP, who went from 23,775 in 2019 to just 8,399 this time round.

It does support the gloomy hypothesis that the next election will be a low-energy, low-turnout one, with Labour limply farting their way into power simply through having their vote decline less sharply than everybody else's.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

“It’s also hoped that during the speech he will sprout a pair of wings and fly around the conference centre making GBS threads rainbows”

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Scotlab winning that by election means they're going to be an even more insufferable and smug bunch of cunts.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I for one welcome our new 270-degree-field-of-view overlord.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, just been looking: that constituency was created in 2005; there's been 6 general elections there and Labour's 2023 victory, with 17,845 votes is the lowest number of votes they've ever had in that constituency. What this election was really about was the collapse in support for the SNP, who went from 23,775 in 2019 to just 8,399 this time round.

It does support the gloomy hypothesis that the next election will be a low-energy, low-turnout one, with Labour limply farting their way into power simply through having their vote decline less sharply than everybody else's.

You could well be right, however by-elections are also weird.

Folk may or may not remember John Mason's "seismic(!!!)" 2008 win in Glasgow East. A seat he promptly lost again come the General Election to a Labour party that was hardly high flying at the time.

I think Labour will pick up more seats in Scotland but we won't see swings like this.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

smellmycheese posted:

“It’s also hoped that during the speech he will sprout a pair of wings and fly around the conference centre making GBS threads rainbows”

There's an easy win in doing the populist thing of refusing to call it by it's politically correct name and going for "two child policy" instead, people reflexively react negatively to that.

Of course Noo-Noo Labour won't take that easy win.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh he's scrapping the two-child benefit cap? I thought he reneged on that seven broken promises ago.

I presume he will instead renege on Wednesday, to perfectly attend to my relaxation vein.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Has there ever been a bar set so low for a Labour conference speech. Keith just has to mention one mildly centrist policy left of David Cameron. (Which of course the Daily Mail will still jump on and accuse him of being a woke communist)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Rising to my feet clapping and cheering for Keir's most bold and exciting speech yet only to realise to my embarrassment that I'd been watching some paint dry.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

smellmycheese posted:

When I want to clearly define myself in voters' minds, break free from the toxic baggage of the past, and set out a dividing line between my politics and those of a venal, deceitful government making calamitous decisions for self-serving purposes, I always make sure to seek the opinion of Alastair Campbell.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Keir to announce mandatory cold toast.

The crowd goes wild.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Just back from the centrist rally, amazing turnout. Thousands of people holding hands and chanting "cold toast is food actually".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Oh he's scrapping the two-child benefit cap? I thought he reneged on that seven broken promises ago.

I presume he will instead renege on Wednesday, to perfectly attend to my relaxation vein.
It says "many hope" which I guess translates as "no"

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Cold toast is desiccated bread.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

desecrated bread

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

hyper from Pixie Sticks posted:

I stopped paying attention a while back too but wasn't the exiting MP leaving because she broke covid rules or something.

I know there's a bit of labour uptick in general (to get the tories out), but I wouldn't be surprised if a part of the swing here is due to the lockdown traitor being publicly blasted for being one when public opinionated is squarely against that sort of thing.

Or they might have been a poo poo MP too. Who knows.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

smellmycheese posted:

Given he's already said "no" to completing HS2 and removing the two child benefit cap whoever wrote the quote is living in a land of unicorns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Kin posted:

I stopped paying attention a while back too but wasn't the exiting MP leaving because she broke covid rules or something.

I know there's a bit of labour uptick in general (to get the tories out), but I wouldn't be surprised if a part of the swing here is due to the lockdown traitor being publicly blasted for being one when public opinionated is squarely against that sort of thing.

Or they might have been a poo poo MP too. Who knows.

Yes, she was a loving moron. So, September 2020 she noticed she had symptoms of COVID, took a test & then went out to do a bunch of shopping & went to a gym. Next day she went to church, then she took a train to London to speak in Parliament, after which she got her test result back as positive, got on a train back to Scotland, lying to the SNP whips in the process that she was going back because a family member of sick.

I decided to check Hansard & the debated she spoke on, on Monday 28th September 2020, was of course about COVID-19. (She was also back in Parliament on the 30th, despite that positive test, though that could have been remote, no info on that). So suspecting she had the illness she wandered around the Glasgow suburb she lives in, went from Glasgow to London & back again. Never mind needing a recall election & losing the whip, she should have resigned in 2020.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Oct 6, 2023