Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
LOL people being offended by a spin-off of "The Boys" in this forum. Will wonders never cease?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I teally don't think anyone in the Amazon 4k CBT show thread is a secret Nazi or Andrew Tate in a goon mask.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
I wonder how long Cate's pushes last. She specifically told Jumanji guy "every hour, on the hour" but no mention of the total number of hours.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Heard an interesting theory that Jordan has a reabsorbed female twin which explains their powers.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Hargrimm posted:

I wonder how long Cate's pushes last. She specifically told Jumanji guy "every hour, on the hour" but no mention of the total number of hours.

She had told her brother "leave and never come back" and he never did. :stare:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Panfilo posted:

He's become a wild man of the woods and is living his best life with a pack of wolves, right?

Right???

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

That makes Cate the strongest super in the boys universe?

Usually there's alot of power capping when it comes to telepathy just for that reason.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Panfilo posted:

he mightve died before the push expired

or the pushes only last as long as required by the plot

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'd argue that Marie's choice to take sole credit for Golden Boy's defeat was framed as an active choice, rather than a passive one.

I thought it was framed that mentioning the sister right before camera roll was the dean's plan to keep off balance and on script. The decision was made for her.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Shageletic posted:

Usually there's alot of power capping when it comes to telepathy just for that reason.

Doing pushes puts a strain on her. Having to physically touch the person is very limiting. I'm guessing the more 'resistant' the target, the more strain and she gives herself seizures each time.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I thought it was framed that mentioning the sister right before camera roll was the dean's plan to keep off balance and on script. The decision was made for her.

Yeah, and Marie clearly didn't trust the Dean's ignorance of it happening when she offhandedly confronted her, too. She learned the Dean will reveal/snitch on everything she tells her.

There's very clearly a reason they released these three episodes, and it's because I think Emma and Marie's characters absolutely required it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

This was the main bad guy's power in the only good season of Jessica Jones, and they deployed it to good effect. You'd think Vought would want to hide her away and use her like they used that chameleon guy, just a crazy superpower that no one knows exists. Once she's out in the public and people are on-guard, she's a lot less effective.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

PostNouveau posted:

This was the main bad guy's power in the only good season of Jessica Jones, and they deployed it to good effect. You'd think Vought would want to hide her away and use her like they used that chameleon guy, just a crazy superpower that no one knows exists. Once she's out in the public and people are on-guard, she's a lot less effective.

Purple-man's constant frustration with people he could control was really well done. The team manager in all of us.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
'Everybody shut the gently caress up' power would be really nice to have lol.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Panfilo posted:

Doing pushes puts a strain on her. Having to physically touch the person is very limiting. I'm guessing the more 'resistant' the target, the more strain and she gives herself seizures each time.

Having the victim's amenability to telepathy be dependent on their will power is a traditional form of power capping, yeah. It'd be cool to mention explicitly.

The show so far has her having a seizure after "pushing" an undetermined number of guards and apparently recovering fully afterwards. Hope for a deeper dive there.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The Elliot Page lookalike who Chooses to change gender in order to get free drinks at a bar or maybe win a fist fight

Playing with some volatile stuff there, Gen V

Elliot Page isn't asian, stop being racist

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I didn't say he was. Nice attempt at poo poo stirring though

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Hargrimm posted:

I would imagine until he had to get restrained and sent to the hospital. Which might occur after the first time he does it.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

Wanna push back a tiny bit here. Jordan calls their powers a wonderful gift in the latest episode and seems to be the only one happy to be a supe.

Jordan is interesting bc I interpreted them as just one story beat ahead of the rest of the team because they are the super tryhard of the group. By ahead I mean: has already figured out how to embrace their identity and use their power to great effect without hurting themselves. But because you can't ever win in the the Voughtiverse, embracing their identity gets them sidelined because people are bigots and can't handle gender fluidity. I think a couple times times someone has asked them point blank "why did you just switch just now?" and Jordan really bitterly said "because I *felt* like it" . I get the feeling it is 100% not just because they feel like it, in fact I'd be surprised if we don't find out that it causes pain and injury the longer they stay in one gender mode, past a certain point.

Now that I think about it I have no idea what Andre's downside is to his power is. Based on his thousand yard stare(s) i suspect something Not Good is happening to his mental health.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The actor is a transphobe so I'm curious whether he shares much screen time with Jordan...

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The actor is a transphobe so I'm curious whether he shares much screen time with Jordan...

No he said it wasn't him, it was the rogue AI used by his PR team, which I'm almost ready to believe is some sort of multi-layer meta Vought thing.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I was thinking, "Oh this is probably overblown" but the saw the accounts he follows and the posts he liked and lmao

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

spacetoaster posted:

I would imagine until he had to get restrained and sent to the hospital. Which might occur after the first time he does it.

Pretty sure there was a scene at night time of the jumanji guy implying still out there slamming a bat against his balls

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

jisforjosh posted:

I was thinking, "Oh this is probably overblown" but the saw the accounts he follows and the posts he liked and lmao

He plays a sophisticated gay wizard in the Netflix Sabrina show so it’s definitely disappointing

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Mr. Pool posted:

But because you can't ever win in the the Voughtiverse, embracing their identity gets them sidelined because people are bigots and can't handle gender fluidity. I think a couple times times someone has asked them point blank "why did you just switch just now?" and Jordan really bitterly said "because I *felt* like it" . I get the feeling it is 100% not just because they feel like it, in fact I'd be surprised if we don't find out that it causes pain and injury the longer they stay in one gender mode, past a certain point.

I don't know why there needs to be a lore reason complicating that initial explanation. Jordan being genderfluid and expressing that "on a whim" is just how GF people often feel. Social rules feel arbitrary to them, and it's frustrating how entitled power structures become as they interrogate that. I've gotten into plenty of arguments with people about being trans, where there's a clear demand that trans people "prove their dysphoria" to justify receiving accommodation. "Oh, you really suffered, so you shall receive special dispensation from the gender police." "Oh, I now believe you have 'a female soul' or a 'masculine essence,' so I hereby grant permission." But not every trans person has some tragic story of self-hatred and bodily disgust, they just have a loose sense of what would feel more honest or comfortable and don't see why it's anyone else's problem.

Jordan being sidelined by Vought because corporate refuses to market an ambiguously-gendered Asian superhero is a totally reasonable plot conflict for them. Society barely tolerates gender nonconformity of any kind, let alone when there appears to be no inner consistency or rigidity to how it "works." Like, I could totally see Vought platforming a trans superhero, who's an extremely passing and non-threatening (and probably white) trans femme who presents that way 24/7. But Jordan is "too many things," which I find interesting and fairly incisive.

lukevictorious
Mar 31, 2019

this is the water

Shageletic posted:

Yeah, we saw that Homelander wouldn't even shake Mesmer's hand, maybe the boys could have skipped the trip to Russia, do a little digging at God U, and nip this whole problem in the bud. Get her some kinda superhero alias, have a presser where Homelander raises their hands together in the air, and oh my, looks like Homelander decided to fly into the Sun. He was too pure and patriotic for this imperfect world.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

lukevictorious posted:

Yeah, we saw that Homelander wouldn't even shake Mesmer's hand, maybe the boys could have skipped the trip to Russia, do a little digging at God U, and nip this whole problem in the bud. Get her some kinda superhero alias, have a presser where Homelander raises their hands together in the air, and oh my, looks like Homelander decided to fly into the Sun. He was too pure and patriotic for this imperfect world.

I was under the impression he didn't shake Memser's hand because he's Homelander and there's not a camera around

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

FireWorksWell posted:

I was under the impression he didn't shake Memser's hand because he's Homelander and there's not a camera around

He didn't want to be read and he also considers Mesmer among the F-Tier of Supes, too. Only barely worthy of recognition simply because he's not a "normie."

Victoria shot her daughter up with V because she knows what he's planning on doing.

If I had to guess, The Woods isn't trying to make a "better Compound V," it's probably trying to figure out consistent ways to "manage" and if needs be, *kill* Supes pharmacologically.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 5, 2023

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Xealot posted:

I don't know why there needs to be a lore reason complicating that initial explanation. Jordan being genderfluid and expressing that "on a whim" is just how GF people often feel. Social rules feel arbitrary to them, and it's frustrating how entitled power structures become as they interrogate that. I've gotten into plenty of arguments with people about being trans, where there's a clear demand that trans people "prove their dysphoria" to justify receiving accommodation. "Oh, you really suffered, so you shall receive special dispensation from the gender police." "Oh, I now believe you have 'a female soul' or a 'masculine essence,' so I hereby grant permission." But not every trans person has some tragic story of self-hatred and bodily disgust, they just have a loose sense of what would feel more honest or comfortable and don't see why it's anyone else's problem.

Jordan being sidelined by Vought because corporate refuses to market an ambiguously-gendered Asian superhero is a totally reasonable plot conflict for them. Society barely tolerates gender nonconformity of any kind, let alone when there appears to be no inner consistency or rigidity to how it "works." Like, I could totally see Vought platforming a trans superhero, who's an extremely passing and non-threatening (and probably white) trans femme who presents that way 24/7. But Jordan is "too many things," which I find interesting and fairly incisive.

I agree it would it better if Jordan was actually changing genders because they felt like , I'm just speculating

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
It's been a good year for spunky show-stealing college room-mates with four-letter names beginning with E and short-styled light-coloured hair.

lukevictorious
Mar 31, 2019

this is the water

FireWorksWell posted:

I mean, yeah, and even with a camera around he might not give a gently caress about Mesmer, but both reasons can be true. Though I can't imagine reading Hlander's mind would end up very well for Mesmer, probably the psychic equivalent of getting your skull smashed in a toilet stall.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
What about this show needs THIRTY-SEVEN named producers in the end credits? (Also, shamefully, none of them said it should have been called Generation V?)

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
"Tag team cocksplosion!"

:stonk:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BlackIronHeart posted:

"Tag team cocksplosion!"

:stonk:

Yeah. I didn’t need to see that.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Only Kindness posted:

What about this show needs THIRTY-SEVEN named producers in the end credits? (Also, shamefully, none of them said it should have been called Generation V?)

I think it's just a consequence of being a spin-off of a comic adaptation. Everyone down the chain is entitled to producer credit.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

So, show of hands, who else thought that after Tek Knight circled the rim of the whiskey glass in the Dean's office, picked up the scotch tape during class and took the bitten donut after, that he was going to gently caress that donut?

Was it just not that subtle or am I just used to assuming the worst because it's, well, The motherfucking Boys?

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah no, you're on the money.

I'm confused about the end of the episode and the sudden cut mid sentence and fade to black.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Iymarra posted:

I'm confused about the end of the episode and the sudden cut mid sentence and fade to black.

Maybe you didn’t watch the preview but it already showed it’s (not really a spoiler but in tags just in case) a clear part of the narrative/next plot point.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Iymarra posted:

Watched the preview by accident and it was addressed in the first 5 seconds of it, so don't worry.

Unrelated, but Rufus' dick looked quite normal, considering he had been hitting himself with a baseball bat for at least 2 days every hour on the hour ("JUMANJI"). I'm really surprised he was into being a sex pest after all that. Ah well, I guess it's taken care of now.

Also just made the connection "Rufus" = "Roofie".

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Oct 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Didn't watch the preview, but surely it's not needed for this.

Iymarra posted:

The same thing happened earlier in the very same episode with the psychic guy doing it to Marie when she went to ask for his help. Seems pretty cut and dry to me that the two things with the same effect also have the same cause.