Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Gabby's Dollhouse on Netflix is a big hit with my kid that age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Jumpsuit posted:

Same, our daughter loves it. It's by someone who worked on Blue's Clues so it's similar. Bluey ruined everything for me because the 7 minute run time was perfect.

A friend at her school gave her a colored in Pikachu and so she's been watching a few episodes of Pokemon.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Said the cursed words "the kids have been sleeping well lately" at bedtime last night so no one slept worth a poo poo :tootzzz:

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Said the cursed words, "it's my son's birthday party this weekend" and now he has a very slight fever

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Hadlock posted:

OG Care Bears, og and current Muppet Babies are pretty good zero stress shows

I don't recall if it fits the current criteria, but the og Gummi Bears is on Disney+ if you want some more nostalgia.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Alarbus posted:

I don't recall if it fits the current criteria, but the og Gummi Bears is on Disney+ if you want some more nostalgia.

Surprisingly, my almost-5-year old hated this. I think the plot was a bit over her head, related to friendships and relationships. She refuses to let me put the show on now. I’d guess 6 or so is a better starting age for Gummibears.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Even though it's foreign language, you can change the settings to watch bread barbershop and Waffles and Mochi is a nice little show about food.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Oh yeah Waffles and Mochi is great, my kid likes that one a lot too.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Jumpsuit posted:

My 4 year old is a certified cat freak and looooves Gabby's Dollhouse. And I think it's a decent show on its face, certainly better than a lot of stuff she could be watching.

But I hesitate to recommend it out because it is so drat toyetic. It's like the scene in Willy Wonka where Gene Wilder says "look at my garden, everything here is edible" except "everything here is available for purchase at Target". I know that cartoons being toy advertisements is nothing new, but this one just feels so blatant about it. When I see a new gadget or character on screen my mind immediately starts visualizing the packaging it will come in on the shelf. Not to mention that the whole framing device of the show is that she's some sort of blind-box youtuber who opens a new toy each episode.

We visited one of my kid's friends and I saw the titular Dollhouse toy in action. It's actually an empty facade that hinges open, with space to slot in the individual rooms--sold separately in multiple configurations, collect them all!

edit: on the other hand, it's absolutely adorable that she's learned to mimic the cadence and delivery of Baby Box or Cakey when she's "teaching" me how to do a new craft or recipe like putting peanut butter on an apple.

wizzardstaff fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 5, 2023

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I've got all this cleaning I wanted to do, so I set my son up to play in the sink which usually kills like... well, I've yet to see him stop on his own accord.

Anyhow I get the vacuum cleaner going and I hear DADDY

DADDY

DADDY

He comes running in DADDYY!!! LOOK!!!

Drags me by the hand into the kitchen, points at the sink, and says "look! WATER!"

Awesome, dude. Awesome!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Savings Clown posted:

If anyone says Paw Patrol I'm coming to your house.

Paw Patrol.

Please, I need help, I'll PM you my address. Even if it's just for a day or two I'll take whatever I can get. I just can't catch up on everything that needs to get done.

Savings Clown
May 7, 2007

We all float down here
Thanks for the advice all, I'll make a list and try some stuff out.

External Organs posted:

Adventure Time whips rear end but uhh yeah it pretty quickly gets insanely not chill
https://youtu.be/FrlymHW0qU8?feature=shared

Holy poo poo. It's funny, this would ruin her on TV, but we're reading Greek myths and Odysseus blinds the Cyclops with a sharpened burning stick she's like, haha oh no, at least he said his name was "Nobody".

cailleask posted:

My kids started loving Pokémon around that age. A little suspense sometimes I guess but… it’s generally pretty harmless and cute.

My friend's 9 year old is a Pokemon fiend and I'm terrified of ending up having to hear about stats and evolutions all day.

wizzardstaff posted:

If she is okay with full length movies instead of shows, Studio Ghibli stuff is a solid choice. Movies like Kiki, Ponyo, Totoro, The Cat Returns, etc in particular.

Yep she loves all these, movies we're good for. She has a Totoro lunchbox.

Renegret posted:

Paw Patrol.

Please, I need help, I'll PM you my address. Even if it's just for a day or two I'll take whatever I can get. I just can't catch up on everything that needs to get done.

Haha well played.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Little one started getting a bit of a runny nose and cough the last day or so. Thought “if it’s still bad we’ll take her to the clinic Saturday morning.” (Yes, the closest one is open Saturday mornings).

Daycare calls the missus just before 5 pm, little one had a bad enough coughing fit during lunch to bring food back up, and popped a fever when they checked temperatures per usual in late afternoon.

Why yes this is a three-day weekend where I live, why do you ask? :negative:

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Every kid in America under the age of 5 is currently sick with something

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Should be despair

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Some sort of stomach bug is just wrapping up its journey through our house. I still don't have my appetite back and my husband's fever broke last night.

Edit: I was lucky I got it on the last day of my 2 day fall break from work!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
PSA for those of you with in the US with infants 8 months or younger: please ask your pediatrician about the RSV monoclonal antibody.

This is a new thing--and it's a game changer. Infants that receive this antibody will stay out of the hospital this RSV season. I wish we had this in 2019 when our son was hospitalized for a week. I'm sure thousands of other parents of hospitalized infants wish they did as well. And we're getting it for our two month old this year.

Our pediatrician expects to have this available by the end of October. It's worth asking about at your next 1-2 month checkup to see if yours will have it as well.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
We asked our dr today and they don’t have the rsv vax yet. Only one private pediatrician office in town has it and they are charging 600$ per shot because insurance hasn’t figured out if they are covering it yet lol

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Yeah that $600 is hard to swallow, but a $45k hospital bill is harder.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

We are having some daycare behavior issues that are driving us nuts. Basically he (3.5yo) is being very defiant about waiting to do things he wants to do or stopping doing whatever it is that he's currently doing.

Yesterday he pushed/hit his teacher when getting everyone lined up and accounted for was taking longer than he cared to wait, and apparently he's very possessive of a certain spot on the big floor mat because it is his favorite color.

These behaviors have popped up fairly recently, and the daycare director mentioned thinking they coincide with his class moving to a new room and adding five new kids who came from less structured programs. He's apparently seeing them try to do whatever it is they want when they want and copying that behavior, despite not having an issue before the class size change.

His teachers mentioned there are a couple kids who he doesn't get along with, they try to position them separately but with 20 kids and 2 teachers all it takes for him and his apparent enemies to have a chance to restart whatever their squabble was is for another pair of kids to have a disagreement which pulls the attention of the teachers

It's just like... how do we help correct this problem? When he's at home it is just him and us so there aren't really any extended waits for stuff and there's nobody to take his prized green seat. While be does push on occasion when he's being blocked from doing something he wants to do (which can escalate to pinching) we don't give in and encourage him to use his words and/or explain why we can't do whatever it is right then. We don't want to reward pushing and shoving with attention, but also don't want to just let him get away with it.

Feeling very frustrated about it.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

I asked the local clinic/hospital about the RSV antibodies and the response was basically “lol we don’t have that” so I’m guessing roll-out is going to be horrible.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

slave to my cravings posted:

Every kid in America under the age of 5 is currently sick with something

We're in to week 4 of the school year for most kids so yeah

Two of the teachers at our daycare are substitute teachers for the local elementary school so they're direct disease vector conduits :toot:

Texas A&M posted their covid test result stuff for August/Sept/Oct/Nov/Dec 2020. That school has ~45,000 students, did full in-person instruction, and a pretty unified student health system. Basically there were like 1000 cases the first week, 25,000 cases the second week and then 8-10k cases through the middle of october and then it dropped down into the 10s shortly thereafter. That's been my mental model of how viruses work their way through a school/daycare population ever since.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Our pediatrician has confirmed that the RSV rollout is so lovely that they maybe not be able to get any doses for the entire season for our 3 week old :negative:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Siri just recommended that my wife start the six minute “get ready for bed” timer, at the right time around when we normally send them them to bed.

Carebear
Apr 16, 2003

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno you will won't.
My husband and I have different opinions on toddlers and how their brain works. Our two year old sometimes pulls the cats' tails. She's not doing this maliciously, she's giggling and thinks it's funny. He thinks the best solution will be to pull the toddler's hair when she does this to show that it hurts. I'm adamantly against that, in my opinion it's abuse. He refuses to find research to back up his claims. And I've tried to explain that 2 year old minds can't connect that together anyway. But of course his argument is that we shouldn't compare our daughter to other children.

I'm going to pull MY hair out soon.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Carebear posted:

My husband and I have different opinions on toddlers and how their brain works. Our two year old sometimes pulls the cats' tails. She's not doing this maliciously, she's giggling and thinks it's funny. He thinks the best solution will be to pull the toddler's hair when she does this to show that it hurts. I'm adamantly against that, in my opinion it's abuse. He refuses to find research to back up his claims. And I've tried to explain that 2 year old minds can't connect that together anyway. But of course his argument is that we shouldn't compare our daughter to other children.

Your husband is dumb and bad hope this helps.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Cause and effect comprehension kicks in (according to Google) between 2 and 3. This is also when time-outs begin to become effective. I think this age varies widely and is child dependent.

Here's a compromise: Maybe if time outs are starting to become effective then you can try demonstrating (once) via hair pulling why she shouldn't pull the cats tail. Agree you shouldn't make hair pulling a regular punishment but a controlled demonstration is often a lot more effective than trying to talk to someone with a 30 word vocabulary

Our kid wouldn't hold hands when crossing the street and demonstrated why we want to hold hands by rolling over a couple of eggs and a bunch of fruit with the car while she watched from a distance; "we don't want you to get squished like a bug!" she still talks about squishing all the fruit

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008

space uncle posted:

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

space uncle posted:

Yep.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Carebear posted:

My wife is the same way as this for similar things. You're not alone with dumb and bad spouses :(

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

Thats around the age we started doing a call and response about him pulling on our dog's ears: "What does Zooka have?" "Enough problems." I think there being a neutral and socially correct thing to say genuinely helped him redirect himself. We're trying it out with the second kid now.

Once he was a little older, we've also just said "if she bites you, it will be your fault" when hes harrassing her. Though there is no universe in which my dingo would bite one of my kids. She is a timorous and devoted creature. Also, she doesn't have any teeth. Truly, she has enough problems.

Carebear
Apr 16, 2003

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno you will won't.
Thanks all, he was basically calling me the crazy one for disagreeing with him. It's really frustrating that we have different views on things like this

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Carebear posted:

Thanks all, he was basically calling me the crazy one for disagreeing with him. It's really frustrating that we have different views on things like this

I mean there's a bunch of reasons that it's dumb and bad, but a practical one unrelated to the pointlessness of it is that your kid absolutely is trying to imitate you all the time.

If you pull her hair she will either pull your hair or another, smaller kid's hair because this is what you just taught her.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Mostly I'm surprised the cat puts up with that poo poo. My daughter learned the hard way that pulling the cat's tail is not just wrong but, primarily, a really bad idea. He was smart enough to give a gentler warning bite rather than actually hurt her, so no harm done.

(They mostly get along now)

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Hadlock posted:

Cause and effect comprehension kicks in (according to Google) between 2 and 3. This is also when time-outs begin to become effective. I think this age varies widely and is child dependent.

Here's a compromise: Maybe if time outs are starting to become effective then you can try demonstrating (once) via hair pulling why she shouldn't pull the cats tail. Agree you shouldn't make hair pulling a regular punishment but a controlled demonstration is often a lot more effective than trying to talk to someone with a 30 word vocabulary

Our kid wouldn't hold hands when crossing the street and demonstrated why we want to hold hands by rolling over a couple of eggs and a bunch of fruit with the car while she watched from a distance; "we don't want you to get squished like a bug!" she still talks about squishing all the fruit

I think this could be a decent compromise. You’re moving away from the realm of corporal punishment “I’m going to make you hurt if you do something I don’t allow” into a lesson/science experiment “Pulling on tails and hairs and ears is painful so that’s why we don’t do it”. Rather than hurting the kid you could even act it out on yourself and fake cry to get the point across. The other poster brings up a great point that doing any of this stuff (even a demo) is inviting the kid to just keep pulling hair because mom and dad did it, so that’s not great.

My kid pulls the dogs tails and the thought of physically striking him or pulling on his hair hasn’t crossed my mind. I do raise my voice and make him let go and stop.

I read that timeouts are appropriate for a length of time = age of child. Not sure if that’s just made up bullshit but I’ve been rolling with it. So a two year old could handle a 2 minute timeout, three year old can handle a 3 minute timeout, etc… I nearly always stay in the room with the kid and do timeout with them. My kid is almost 3 and is really only recently understanding the cause and effect of it, but prior to that understanding it was useful as a redirect to stop them from whatever bad behavior got them removed in the first place. If my kid refuses to apologize or repeat back to me why they’re in time out, I try to get him to do that before we return to normal programming. Sometimes he treats time out as an excuse to play in his room, so I tell him I’m going to leave because he’s just trying to play with me. I know that teaching him “I do something wrong - my parent leaves me” isn’t great but I stay on the other side of the door and talk to him for the 2 minutes.

Last week he threw his fork at me during dinner and instantly realized that was wrong. He started yelling “I don’t want timeout, I’m sorry!” before I even stood up. As unpleasant as it was to do timeout, it was nice to see him understand some cause and effect rather than narcissistic toddler chaos elemental. I thanked and praised him for apologizing but the 2 minute timeout still stood.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

2 minute time out at first seemed laughably short, and we've only had to do it a handful of times (4 in a year?), but wow they hate it and seems to be highly effective. If we have to threaten a time out and they don't stop we absolutely do follow through on the threat to be consistent.

The second time we did time out, the next day she was role playing and put one of her stuffed animals in time out in the same chair.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Solo parenting all three for a week starting tomorrow, my wife is traveling internationally.

Please put in a good word to whatever deity you do/dont believe in. At least they are all going to after school care all week and they’re just gonna buy school lunch instead of me making it.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Our 5yo son's joke progression tonight.

"What do you get when a dog is outside in the sun too long?" "A hot dog." Pretty good.

"What do you get when a cat is outside in the sun too long?" "A hot cat." Okay. I see what you were going for there.

"What do you get when dad is outside in the sun too long?" "A dad dog." And you lost it.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Typical dad dog response

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

devmd01 posted:

At least they are all going to after school care all week and they’re just gonna buy school lunch instead of me making it.

Why would you even risk saying this, we all know that at least one kid is now going to wake up on Monday with a fever. My condolences.