Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Creature posted:

So far I don’t really see the appeal of Sam Campbell.

He has resting idiot face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Bertha the Toaster posted:

I have a feeling that they were both on Who Do You Think You Are? which is a show about celebrity family history, I guess it must have been mentioned that they're related.

Yeah Josh was on who do you think you are and traced his linage back royalty as the main bit on the show

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

not a bot posted:

The funniest thing about Campbell is that he's doing his damnest to be oh so crazy and random and seems to get genuinely shocked/annoyed when the others are outdoing him as natural weirdos

Its great, he actually looks a little perturbed by it. :allears:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

It's low key fantastic, he's playing the straight man for the first time and Sam does not know how he feels about this, not one bit

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
It's really good yeah I just think it's being outshined by the absolute lunacy surrounding him.

Julian is sipping tea on the titanic, now at like a 45 degree angle and slowly sliding down the deck.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Did she really think a simple cardboard portcullis could stop the holder of the portcullis scissors?

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Unpopular opinion around here apparently: I’ve never been able to stand Sue Perkins, all her humour is so cringy to me and portcullis is just ‘Foam Adventure’ style humour.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Annabel Pee posted:

Unpopular opinion around here apparently: I’ve never been able to stand Sue Perkins, all her humour is so cringy to me and portcullis is just ‘Foam Adventure’ style humour.

But is it mischievous?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Annabel Pee posted:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Annabel Pee posted:

it's ok not to like things

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Annabel Pee posted:

Foam Adventure is one of those vids that isn't even that bad. Just two dorky people enjoying eachother's company and freaking out like teens do over something silly.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

No idea how much anyone cares, but I started watching the NZ version of The Traitors and was surprised to find that Matt Heath and Justine Smith are both contestants.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's not a large country.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
I'm a big fan of traitor games, have worn out copies of Werewolf, The Resistance, Battlestar Galactica, and was really expecting to like that show. But their contestant pool was just atrocious. It was like watching a cycling race where everyone is just coming off training wheels. It reaffirmed my fear of juries as being populated with the most ignorant, impulsive, illogical random sampling of the population.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

So much of the appeal of that show to me was Alan Cumming, who is lapping up his job job as emcee so deliciously that it puts all other 'reality' show hosts to shame. Most over-the-top but in-the-best-way master of ceremony bit since the Chairman from Iron Chef. An assist to the True House Wives lady that embraces being a villain and just rolls with it.

Tried the British one w/ Claudia in that role and it just doesn't land the same. The games they do are blatantly pointless, either needs the drama of said House Wife or Alan selling it.

All to say, get Alan Cumming on Task Master.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Leatherhead posted:

No idea how much anyone cares, but I started watching the NZ version of The Traitors and was surprised to find that Matt Heath and Justine Smith are both contestants.

I really enjoyed Traitors NZ. Matt Heath is like an excited little boy on it. Great fun. 😊

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

CatstropheWaitress posted:

All to say, get Alan Cumming on Task Master.

Alan would totally be up for a New Years Treat episode, I guarantee it.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i had no idea who julian was before this and i adore him so much

every season should have an extremely charming but also catty aging gay gentleman

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

the scoring this episode was complete nonsense, it was one of the best episodes of the series

sam is a force of chaos

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Man, Sam did not deserve as many points as he got today!

He's settled into my least favourite of the contestants by now. He tries too hard to be wacky, especially mixed in with Sue and Lucy who can pull it off so much more naturally.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Not sure if I should, so going to spoiler this thread title suggestion for now.

Taskmaster S16 - Oh this is like Battleships!

Lucy is so delightful.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Yeah Sam is trying a bit too hard whereas Lucy has settled in the groove, he's still got some bangers like the prize task but I might get a bit worn out after seven more episodes.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

eke out posted:

every season should have an extremely charming but also catty aging gay gentleman

Like I said, Alan Cumming for Taskmaster 2025!

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Julian is so loving funny.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

"why did you throw a poo out of a window?"

"Because I couldn't flush it and I didn't want people to pick on me."

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
In some interview, Alex said that he also at first thought Lucy stayed in character, but after filming more tasks and studio segments, it looked more like she's genuinely a very strange person. I understand why Sam might be intimidated and desperate to show off, she is extremely powerful.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Lucy is the interview on this episode's podcast, and she is so loving strange.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
sam is good, sorry haters

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Paladinus posted:

In some interview, Alex said that he also at first thought Lucy stayed in character, but after filming more tasks and studio segments, it looked more like she's genuinely a very strange person. I understand why Sam might be intimidated and desperate to show off, she is extremely powerful.

Yeah I think she's kind of 50% just being like that naturally, 50% leaning into it for comedy.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah I think she's kind of 50% just being like that naturally, 50% leaning into it for comedy.

The Karl Pilkington model.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Lucy is the interview on this episode's podcast, and she is so loving strange.

The best thing is watching Sue having to reset her brain every time Lucy says something sweetly insane in the studio section. (She is clearly mentally apologising to Mel Geidroyc for ever calling her the most scatterbrained person on earth)

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
i feel like some of you need to meet some more northern women. people like lucy are ten a penny

VVV eheh yes

thehustler fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Oct 6, 2023

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

thehustler posted:

i feel like some of you need to meet some more [...] people

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
"Pick me up" magazine sounds like a pretty natural secret task hiding place, especially with Alex drawing attention to the name.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I would absolutely stop and talk to Alex Horne and a random comedian/tv personality I may or may not recognise if I was walking through that part of London and they signaled that they wanted me to talk to them (well, Sam wanted them to stop, Alex looked like he was radiating "oh god" energy).

It'd probably be the most exciting thing that happened to me all week.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
my thoughts: Sam was way overscored for the nickname task, since it looked like he just told the person he was talking to to call him Doctor Cigarettes. Justice for Chain Bastard and Lassue.
He was slightly overscored in the the prize task too, I think, but like he should have been second or third instead of first. I'd probably have gone Julian - Sam or Sue - the other one - Lucy - Susan.

This cast is all so good I don't care who wins though. Old school village idiots and the aging homosexual.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I tried to guess what sues nickname was gonna be in advance and got it wrong but you can have it anyway

sharpsueter

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Julian Clary is everything Joe Lycett dreams of being. He’s wonderful.

Sam Campbell is the weird guy at the train station who always asks for cigarettes and owns at least three different wolf shirts.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The levels of sarcasm and passive aggressiveness Julian operates on are simply aspirational. Out of all contestants who are constantly miffed they are required to do anything, he's the most entertaining by far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Creature posted:

Julian Clary is everything Joe Lycett dreams of being. He’s wonderful.

Sam Campbell is the weird guy at the train station who always asks for cigarettes and owns at least three different wolf shirts.

That's exactly why everyone calls him...