Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Nama > bi-ru

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I want to go to one of the BIG Sekai No Owari shows.

Just saying.

E: and it looks like they just announced dates for an arena tour next year...

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 5, 2023

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Make sure you use the exact correct phrase or the guy behind the bar will laugh at you and kick you out.

More likely you'll encounter someone who makes you repeat yourself a dozen times even though you've spoken your simple phrase in perfect Japanese.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Never happens to me because I only use the most respectful keigo when ordering an extra bowl of edamame.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
Tiny snort at the memory of a guy I knew who asked for "mo oppai kudasai" when trying to get a refill at a bar. Sadly they just gave him another beer.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

VoiceTra is the translation app the government suggests. It will do the translate it back to English part for you and we had zero trouble using it in February.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

slinkimalinki posted:

Tiny snort at the memory of a guy I knew who asked for "mo oppai kudasai" when trying to get a refill at a bar. Sadly they just gave him another beer.

In Korea I once asked a woman at the market for jamji instead of chamchi.

Chamchi is tuna. Jamji is pussy (though probably closer to the ol' big C)

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Oh god. Did you flee korea after that?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Had a friend once in Japan who was trying to talk about the Korean alcohol but called it 'mokkori' instead :xd:

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
How long do concerts in Japan typically last? We have tickets for a show staring at 6pm (god I hope Japan is stricter on "start times" than the UK) and want to be sure we can catch our last train back, leaving the venue no later than 9pm ideally.

It's a "one man live" gig so not like a big long festival kind of thing.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

You'll have plenty of time.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah, that should be enough. A one-man thing like that I can’t imagine going more than two hours. It should be starting close to on time.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Awesome, thanks for the reassurance! We're heading all the way to Shizuoka from Osaka to see it so it would be a shame to have to leave early.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

slinkimalinki posted:

Oh god. Did you flee korea after that?

The lady I was talking to admirably just said "you mean tuna, right?" and all was well, but the one next to her was losing her mind laughing so I'm sure the story went around the market.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Make sure you use the exact correct phrase or the guy behind the bar will laugh at you and kick you out.

They do that to me regardless when I go to the blowjob bar, what gives

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Is the conveyor belt sushi experience any different in Japan than it is in the states?

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
There's conveyor belt sushi in the United States?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Revitalized posted:

Is the conveyor belt sushi experience any different in Japan than it is in the states?

It's better and cheaper. But conceptually, no.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Revitalized posted:

Not at all, it's bad every time

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'd say the quality at Japan conveyer belt sushi is about as good or better than an average sushi place in the US. But average sushi places in the US are garbage.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gabriel Grub posted:

It's uncommon but it exists.

Find a sushi place that doesn't buy their fish from the Unification Church and it's pretty good.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
One of our favorite sushi places is a conveyor joint, but it's a hole in the wall and not part of a chain.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I took my mom to Okinawa earlier this year, and our first night we stopped by Hamazushi. She loved it so much she insisted we go back there instead of an actual sit down sushi place elsewhere later that trip. Well mama gets what she wants, so we did the place twice haha.

I will say though, it was ridiculously cheap. We both got super stuffed on like $10-$12 each. Though I guess the exchange rate probably played a part in that.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

AHH F/UGH posted:

They do that to me regardless when I go to the blowjob bar, what gives

You're supposed to get an old lady with a megaphone to annouce your needs, like you're running for election.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
There's a conveyer belt sushi place here. I'd say it's half as good as cheap conveyer sushi in Japan but 2-3x the price.

The "real" sushi places here are basically one step above the cheapest conveyer sushi in Japan for 3-5x the price.

Real bummer :(

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Conversely I would kill for some American BBQ, meat pies or fish and chips.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Conversely I would kill for some American BBQ, meat pies or fish and chips.

The first two are decently covered in Tokyo :coal:

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

When I was in Japan in 2008 I craved fish and chips desperately, and at one pointed ended up in a British themed pub in Akihabara eating tiny sad overpriced fish and chips but by god at least it was fish and chips.

Doubt that place still exists now but who knows?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Organza Quiz posted:

When I was in Japan in 2008 I craved fish and chips desperately, and at one pointed ended up in a British themed pub in Akihabara eating tiny sad overpriced fish and chips but by god at least it was fish and chips.

Doubt that place still exists now but who knows?

Was it the hub lol

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I didn’t realize I did a rough fish and chips just now with pickled mackerel and potato wedges. I ordered them separately…fried potato is instinctual for me lol

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I'm very much not looking forward to this 14-hour flight coming up.

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

Kaddish posted:

I'm very much not looking forward to this 14-hour flight coming up.

I'm in the same boat - flight leaves in a week. I've never done a long haul flight before so I'm somewhat dreading it, but also somewhat excited. (I'm definitely excited about the part after the flight.)

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
To make it more tolerable my doc prescribes me a cocktail of lorazepam, hydroxyzine, and baby aspirin.

I also blew a ton of Delta SkyMiles upgrading to premium select. We'll see if it was worth it. Probably.

We flew Delta One to Hawaii a couple of years ago and it was definitely nice, being able to lay flat is awesome....but it wasn't as nice as I thought it should be.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Kaddish posted:

To make it more tolerable my doc prescribes me a cocktail of lorazepam, hydroxyzine, and baby aspirin.

What

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
IRC, Blarney Stone is Dotonbori has fish and chips which are pretty good. But it may have been the Umeda one where I had them. Menu should be the same.

It's a long flight, but it's not so bad. Just get up every 90 mins and walk around and go pee and stretch a bit. Find some movies to watch. Get some noise-cancelling headphones, if you can. If you play games and have a handheld, that can help eat up time.

The flight back is much quicker.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Waltzing Along posted:

IRC, Blarney Stone is Dotonbori has fish and chips which are pretty good. But it may have been the Umeda one where I had them. Menu should be the same.

It's a long flight, but it's not so bad. Just get up every 90 mins and walk around and go pee and stretch a bit. Find some movies to watch. Get some noise-cancelling headphones, if you can. If you play games and have a handheld, that can help eat up time.

The flight back is much quicker.

My Steam Deck is going to put in some work.

I've been using that combo for long flights for years now. Works great, highly recommended.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Kaddish posted:

Have you considered a career teaching English in Japan?

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Gabriel Grub posted:

I live in Los Angeles and Kura Sushi has branches out here. I've never been to Kura though, only some other local shop that has since closed.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Flights are long. Watch a movie, eat a food. I have done this by myself with babies and kids and it's boring but fine.

The drink carts have whiskey and soda water so you can order a highball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I've been on so many flights where I see people with young kids and think, 'I'm so glad that's not me'.