Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Are there any goons in or who were in Airborne Anti-sub warfare stuff? P3s and the like? Airgoons are doing a big lets play of a fictional 2010 world war involving the South Atlantic/Argentina area. It would be pretty neat if someone with firsthand unclassified (we're not War Thunder) knowledge could share some insights, tips, tricks, even stuff to help our roleplaying generals make choices and add some panache to things. The thread is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4042524

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Elviscat posted:

E: also lol at "which Columbia should we name it after?" "I dunno, all three?"

The lead ship in the Columbia class should have been called the USS Colombia for maximum confusion and typo generation.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

The lead ship in the Columbia class should have been called the USS Colombia for maximum confusion and typo generation.

Name one after the unit of measure of electricity for extra conflation. The USS Coloumb.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Steezo posted:

Name one after the unit of measure of electricity for extra conflation. The USS Coloumb.

That'll be the first ship upgraded to the block 1a specifications. USS Coloumb-1a for short.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Hey so

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yawn

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Sure, and we all knew that he had done that kind of poo poo. Still sucks and we all know squids that won't give a poo poo about this and vote for him anyway.

I know this isn't the Trump thread so tengentially, how classified is the pipe section of the old TB-16 storage tube? Like, if you could see inside a cross section and see that there is a fat line cable in a section of like, 3 feet, would that be something that shouldn't be shared on the internet? The picture is from 2000 and I'm concerned about a friend of mine

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Concerned for what exactly?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

It's a metal tube, it's not classified beyond "don't take pictures of submarines, dummy" which could still get you in some trouble, I guess.

They have officially Navy released poo poo like this online, which is much more interesting than a stowage tube.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This looks like a prop from event horizon

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

And I get pissed whenever I have to change out the headlights in my Subaru

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/NavalInstitute/status/1710082433616658545

Modern Caine Mutiny looks good. Also the cast is pretty stacked from the trailer here

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Elviscat posted:

It's a metal tube, it's not classified beyond "don't take pictures of submarines, dummy" which could still get you in some trouble, I guess.

They have officially Navy released poo poo like this online, which is much more interesting than a stowage tube.

That is a pretty cool transducer setup. Gotta appreciate the engineering that went into that.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
That's impressive but is it this level of impressive?

This picture makes me feel the midwatch

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Flyinglemur posted:

those are some beautiful hand made wiring harnesses.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

And now your highness we will discuss the location of your hidden rebel base.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Nubs today don't know how good they have it Itellyawhut

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Ring Laser Gyro's are the future, and the future is now.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/NavalInstitute/status/1710082433616658545

Modern Caine Mutiny looks good. Also the cast is pretty stacked from the trailer here

I’m sad they’re only doing the court martial! Most of the book is outside court and the best parts of the book are on the ship leading up to the mutiny. Great book.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

pmchem posted:

I’m sad they’re only doing the court martial! Most of the book is outside court and the best parts of the book are on the ship leading up to the mutiny. Great book.

Wouk adapted his own book into stage play, which this movie is based on.

E: I’ve seen the play and the Bogart movie and they work in different ways. The play gives the audience the same information that the court gets, which makes the perspective change.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Charlton Heston directing a chinese-language production of that play in Beijing in 1988 and again in 2006 makes me wonder if we've been in the simulation reality much longer than suspected

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
In Honolulu for 2 days on the 11th, 25th and 8th if anyone is around and needs a drink.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Flyinglemur posted:

hello old friend. i have some isopropyl alcohol to rub in your hole

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

lightpole posted:

In Honolulu for 2 days on the 11th, 25th and 8th if anyone is around and needs a drink.

Hale Koa's beach bar makes a well-priced and drat fine mai tai.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Godholio posted:

I did a lot of research and have concluded that the Hale Koa has the best mai tai in Hawaii

at least I think I did. That's what the scribbled, nearly unintelligible notes I found in my pockets said.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
if you drink too many mai tais you'll feel like you went a few rounds with a muay thai

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Can't speak for the whole island, but I fully agree about the quality of Hale Koa's beach bar mai tai.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
God I miss living in Hawaii even though I was a toddler and it was almost 40 years ago.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Flyinglemur posted:

:rolleyes:

I see someone has never worked on NSSMS.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Godholio posted:

Ship friends only. Mai Tais are too sweet for me, I want a nice strawberry daiquiri and maybe a pina colada

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
https://i.imgur.com/s29WDhh.mp4

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
BRRRT2-D2 getting a little uppity.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Y'all have no idea what standing behind that thing feels like. It's like skydiving. "I could tell you but you wouldn't understand"

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Y'all have no idea what standing behind that thing feels like. It's like skydiving. "I could tell you but you wouldn't understand"

Been there done that got the t shirt and the hearing damage.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

SquirrelyPSU posted:

:rolleyes:

I see someone has never worked on NSSMS.

Buddy,I don't even know what that is

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/MilitaryTimes/status/1710845479842414885?t=-9jufGTnuX2itIMOMO97cw&s=19

Good to see

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Gold second class, is he a reservist? There's no shade since I retired as a gold first. I just don't know what HYT for a second class is

I had a non gold first tell me that if he wore gold as a first he would consider himself a failure. I told him he didn't have to wait that long

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Flyinglemur posted:

Gold second class, is he a reservist? There's no shade since I retired as a gold first. I just don't know what HYT for a second class is

I had a non gold first tell me that if he wore gold as a first he would consider himself a failure. I told him he didn't have to wait that long

They changed the rules for HYT in like 09. There's plenty of people that retired E-5.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
HYT for an E-5 is 16 years, so it's entirely possible on active duty. Dunno what the recent advancement rates are for IT, though if a NAM is worth one point hopefully a NM is worth at least a couple.

Flyinglemur posted:

I'm guessing he meant that he intended to make chief prior to 12 years, but I initially read this as "every good sailor should go to mast at least once during their career".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

No offense and kudos to his bravery but if he couldn’t make 1rst in the current state of the IT rate he’s possibly dumber than a sack of hammers but at least he knows right from wrong.

Personally I’d tutor him until he makes it because people who make good/brave snap choices are valuable in their own right.