Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

What’s that, an excuse to post the famous wendy carlos boymode video?

https://youtu.be/4SBDH5uhs4Q?si=LYOZ-KowsWQYxN3X

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Gat dang envious as anything of her dead style.
Those burns and tussled hair are my jam.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
god behringer is gonna get a stipend out of my pay in 2024 if they actually deliver on any of this poo poo

Victor is the Eurorack Pro Vs Mini. I wonder if we'll get a Eurorack DX7, and, if so, how it will differentiate from Plaits DX7 modes.

e: certainly possible the BX7 there is actually just..... Brains under the hood.

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

Cabbages and Kings posted:

god behringer is gonna get a stipend out of my pay in 2024 if they actually deliver on any of this poo poo

Victor is the Eurorack Pro Vs Mini. I wonder if we'll get a Eurorack DX7, and, if so, how it will differentiate from Plaits DX7 modes.

e: certainly possible the BX7 there is actually just..... Brains under the hood.

I think I need to hire someone just to keep track of their announcements. The 6 USB-C port Go Midi Host is interesting particularly at $49.

Picked up a Pro VS mini and a JT4000 yesterday, was expecting them to be small but not as small as they turned out to be.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Boody posted:

I think I need to hire someone just to keep track of their announcements. The 6 USB-C port Go Midi Host is interesting particularly at $49.

When the hell did that come out

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Grassy Knowles posted:

When the hell did that come out

It didn't, it's just a concept.

It's been a couple years since I dug into it but I think the iConnectivity stuff is the only company with usb-c midi stuff you can actually buy.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
October is the month of soft synths it appears. Synplant 2 dropped this week, and the new Minimal Audio entry comes out in a week and a half

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
I’m still rolling with the old MOTU Fastlane, was surprised driver support kept up with the arm transition but I’m glad. It’s the only one I’ve used as reliable as the serial opcode interfaces.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Boody posted:

Picked up a Pro VS mini and a JT4000 yesterday, was expecting them to be small but not as small as they turned out to be.

lol where, Sweetwater still lists a date in January or something

I'm actually trying to decide if I want to keep that order, given that Victor might end up existing at the same price point, gives a lot of the same bloops in rack and also provides a stick controller with CV outs.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 6, 2023

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Sweetwater got some I think but they sold through them all. It changed from coming soon to hot new item

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Sweetwater got some I think but they sold through them all. It changed from coming soon to hot new item

ah, well I guess my preorder was too far down the queue to get serviced.

I just cancelled it; I'll wait for Victor, I'd much rather have an in rack thing than Yet Another Standalone.

edit: also, I did, in fact, just buy a tenor sax which I only have about 50% of the cash for in hand, so, that ties me up to EOY anyway :allears:

tenor mutiliations, contemplations and granular manipulations coming, no doubt, if I ever shake this drat series of headcolds. (NOT COVID! MANY SUCH TESTS)

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 6, 2023

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

Cabbages and Kings posted:

lol where, Sweetwater still lists a date in January or something

I'm actually trying to decide if I want to keep that order, given that Victor might end up existing at the same price point, gives a lot of the same bloops in rack and also provides a stick controller with CV outs.

For some reason Anderton's in the UK have stock of most of the new Behringer gear, I pre-ordered on the 1st with the pre-order date being the 2nd. Their prices are good as well, got the Edge for £159 whereas Thomann is looking £205. Spent a chunk of the afternoon playing with the mini, it's neat but the menu diving is not fun.

I might be unlucky but every time I order something from Thomann it takes at least a week for them to ship it and then another week for delivery. Picked up a Bastl Kastle Arp 10 days ago as they had it in stock, it's been dispatched but not even tracking info so far.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Sweetwater was able to put me on a list for victor, they don't have preorders listed yet but if you email they will do it.

I cancelled my 4LFO and Mini VS Pro orders.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Gotta stop checking on deals for other people.

Despite not really having the cash for it until Dec I just snagged an ES-9 because it was $575 shipped :allears:

Time to get into Advanced Ableton Workflows, I guess :grimace:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

got into this poo poo to avoid DAWS

then spent $800 on ableton/max

and just got an ES-9

everything is fine

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I got a pro-800 and I like it

my other synth is a hydrasynth so its way down the other end of the scale

the pro-800 feels much more limited, but drat it sounds good. the high end just always sounds so good.

the interface is .. OK... coming from the hydrasynth when only a few knobs might be in the wrong position, so opening up a preset here, but then wanting to tweak it is a bit bogus. but it works

there's something it does which sucks, which is that the display is constantly flashing up some numbers, idk what they are, but if you're trying to adjust a parameter, it'll flick between the value you're editing or maybe cycling through lfo modes or something, and flick between that and whatever these numbers are.

anyway, it just sounds good. I am not imaginative enough to get many sounds out of it that are varied without sounding ridiculous, but it does make some delicious analog synth goodness for a very good price.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Benn Jordan vs Behringer is back in full swing:

https://twitter.com/bennjordan/status/1711498708204859557?t=zU9_DuvyOaV7ZplosSsmWw&s=19

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
The video in question, would be cool if ppl watched it, and I say this as a Behringer product owner/occasional defender:

https://youtu.be/PyA7XnqdufI?si=IsmR-Z0XqbqQHJhd

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

To be honest, he should not have used the term counterfeit. It has a very strict legal definition, no Behringer product comes close to meeting it, and it's use in this context is pretty clearly defamatory. It's not even used in a joking context in the video, he is quite literally purporting that Behringer is making counterfeit items. I would never expect to be sued over saying I don't like someone or I don't like what they do, but I might pause and think a few times before saying on a reasonably large public forum that a company is willfully committing a felony.

e: Like wtf is this, the person is just trying to make a valid criticism that counterfeit is not an appropriate term and a flawed analogy

toadee fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 10, 2023

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

He did put a long disclaimer in his video though, so that makes it all okay, right? :v:

I'll accept the behringer stuff isn't a counterfeit in the legal sense but it shouldn't totally derail the very good points he made against the company throughout the video. The state of industry (and not just the music gear industry, this is going on in all of them) is in a bad state and it makes it impossible for independent brands to survive. They are eventually forced to sell out to some faceless conglomerate.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

xzzy posted:

He did put a long disclaimer in his video though, so that makes it all okay, right? :v:

I'll accept the behringer stuff isn't a counterfeit in the legal sense but it shouldn't totally derail the very good points he made against the company throughout the video. The state of industry (and not just the music gear industry, this is going on in all of them) is in a bad state and it makes it impossible for independent brands to survive. They are eventually forced to sell out to some faceless conglomerate.

Sure, it was a very well researched and produced video. But, he also should never have used the word counterfeit in the way he did, as often as he did, and in the accusatory context he did. It just undermines everything he's trying to accomplish, it isn't even an accurate use of the term at all, and it provides an actual valid legal ground for Behringer to attack on. Then just calling people names who try to have reasonable discussion about it makes him further just look like an angry dick.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I’m not saying I 100% ride with everything that Benn is saying either, also when he outed himself as a Model 3 owner in a recent video he was like “I don’t wanna discuss Elon” so

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Hell yeah Benn

E: i agree that counterfeit is a spicy word, legally

net work error fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 10, 2023

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’m not saying I 100% ride with everything that Benn is saying either, also when he outed himself as a Model 3 owner in a recent video he was like “I don’t wanna discuss Elon” so

He also put in a clip of him watching movies (or maybe it was playing a game, I don't recall exactly) on his phone while he had autopilot going. Come the gently caress on dude.

Shocking revelation but I guess no human is perfect.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
I like Benn, I think his heart is in the right place but that video was not great. He implied that the reason Moog went out of business was Berhinger clones without actually demonstrating the connection. He avoided talking about Moog's union busting, accusations of antitrans bigotry, and the fact that the US employees in the manufacturing side were making starvation wages. Like, gently caress Uli, but Moog had its own problems that he ignored to make his points.

Also, along with the tesla stuff he also was a full throated supporter of NFTs and I stopped watching his channel when he started pushing them as a way for artists to make money.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
behringer employing 4dimensional marketing strats to get every synthfluencer to constantly cover them

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I like Benn, I think his heart is in the right place but that video was not great. He implied that the reason Moog went out of business was Berhinger clones without actually demonstrating the connection. He avoided talking about Moog's union busting, accusations of antitrans bigotry, and the fact that the US employees in the manufacturing side were making starvation wages. Like, gently caress Uli, but Moog had its own problems that he ignored to make his points.

Also, along with the tesla stuff he also was a full throated supporter of NFTs and I stopped watching his channel when he started pushing them as a way for artists to make money.

I never knew about the NFT stuff, but yeah the connection from Behringer to Moog's demise seems spurious. Moog themselves reported numerous times that both the global supply chain issues, and the Trump era tariffs on imported Chinese components were causing cost increases and squeezing their margins, yet neither of those issues were even mentioned.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

toadee posted:

yet neither of those issues were even mentioned.

They were, indirectly. He definitely got off track and it was less a video about moog and more a video about whining about behringer but his premise was that sweetwater's market dominance and the deal behringer negotiated with them made it impossible for moog to effectively compete. Behringer can afford to give a 40% cut to sweetwater because all their stuff is chinese made at rock bottom prices. moog couldn't because their manufacturing costs were way higher.

No way for me to know if that's true, I assume his conclusion was based on his interviews with moog employees. It sort of aligns with moog's public statements though, just with more of an "the industry sucks" than a "we can't get parts" angle.

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

800peepee51doodoo posted:

This, I actually had to check to see if I had mistakenly clicked on the wrong video, was expecting one about Moog. Reminded me a lot of his terrible bitwig video last year.

I'm finding the whole synth youtuber turning on Behringer to be tedious. Don't trust reviews from people that ignore a segment of the market and don't want to hear their justifications either.

Although seems I'm reading from the wrong playbook. I have a crave and an edge and paid cash for a Mother 32 and Subharmonicon yesterday.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I subscribed to his channel a couple of months ago because he was talking about some consumer rights thing and then a couple of videos later he calls himself a libertarian. I just can't take that seriously I guess.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I just spotted through his tweets that the montage replacement got announced (it's even more expensive)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I thought Montage quit stripping

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I had no idea that Sweetwater’s 0% financing poo poo came off the backs of manufacturers. I’ve never used it, but that’s pretty hosed.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

I had no idea that Sweetwater’s 0% financing poo poo came off the backs of manufacturers. I’ve never used it, but that’s pretty hosed.

I don't think it's just theirs, any time you see that offered on any big retailer, its safe to assume the big retailer is not altruistically giving you a 0% loan

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

This channel has a specific nit to pick/ debunk about Benn's vid
https://youtu.be/O2bglB1axhE?si=FyHQKiJfS4ckBqGy
It also has a lot of great videos for learning the real nerdy stuff about the innards of synths.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

yeah i was thinking a bit about that aspect of the vid and while i mostly agree with Benn, it kinda feeds into the whole myth of how special the components and such of old gear is. there's been a wave of good videos lately that are demystifying gear and the components used in it, and it's a shame that for as scientifically minded Benn is (or at the very least claims to be) he seems to be very prone to feeding into those myths. there has definite been some clones and specifically behringer clones that really don't live up to what it's cloning but for the most part there's nothing special about the originals that can't be replicated for cheap (relatively speaking) with modern components. obviously there's more to it than that but it's still something that's been nagging at me

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
He's mostly insufferable and if he's doing so well in his other work I wish he'd go do that instead of pretty regularly beating a hornet's nest for engagement.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I kinda want to know Benn’s opinion on Gibson Guitars, and lawsuit-era Fender

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

I kinda want to know Benn’s opinion on Gibson Guitars, and lawsuit-era Fender

Ive been reading through another discussion on this filled with bewildered guitarists who are all "uhh, yeah... people clone instruments, always have done?? what exactly is the issue? I genuinely don't get it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I think the main point of difference is that uli is an rear end in a top hat who should be shoved in a locker