Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
It falls apart under any amount of legal scrutiny but the point of it was to discourage more stores from wanting to unionize and pressuring workers at already-unionized stores to quit because they can't make ends meet, and it's done a pretty solid job of that unfortunately. It should also be noted that the credit card tipping issue is actually a totally separate hearing that doesn't even start until January, this is just about the other benefits. I'm glad for the current NLRB being favorable to workers but it feels like the incredibly slow speed that the courts operate at still heavily favors the bosses.

Geight has issued a correction as of 06:25 on Sep 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

good cure for that type of thinking is showing them this
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7085875913623276846

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
well I thought he’d proudly sign this. I was wrong. what a fuckhead

https://twitter.com/lara_korte/status/1708305071673676139

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
lol they for sure planned this

https://twitter.com/cincisch/status/1708312451060523252

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

well not surprised

hes vetoed plenty of actually decent stuff none of it gets over-written

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

newsome has to think he has a shot at a ‘middle way’ Democratic ticket in 2028

he is an idiot

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

newsom absolutely sucks and it doesn’t matter if he’s doing this because he genuinely wants to stick it to labor or because he thinks it’ll help him win a national election (probably both). CA legislature is completely spineless though so they won’t override him

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

thats my point the legislature is worthless they can easily override they have a massive supermajority

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hate blue state liberals

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
:qq: the debt :qq:

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

HallelujahLee posted:

thats my point the legislature is worthless they can easily override they have a massive supermajority

so they can repel prop 13 and fix their state?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

HallelujahLee posted:

oh yeah they totally won’t though, totally worthless chamber. They haven’t overridden a veto in 44 years.

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of
how is refusal to override the veto on this worthless? isnt it an effective way to suppress labor for the sake of capital?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

stumblebum posted:

how is refusal to override the veto on this worthless? isnt it an effective way to suppress labor for the sake of capital?

Opposite, the bill means people can get unemployment payments for being on strike, which makes it much easier to organize strikes and keep them going for longer. By vetoing it Newsom once again shows he's somehow the biggest poo poo stain in the California Democrats and by refusing to override the veto the California legislature shows they're a bunch of spineless dipshits

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of
i am saying that destroying labor rights serves their actual ideological interests. letting the bill get vetoed means undermining labor, which is what they want

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

stumblebum posted:

i am saying that destroying labor rights serves their actual ideological interests. letting the bill get vetoed means undermining labor, which is what they want

worthless to pro-labor interests i mean yeah i get your point but this is such measly win and measly bone and they wont even grant that

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The democrat party -even in California- is not an ally of labor. Occasionally they will pander to labor to get elected, but when push comes to shove they will act to protect capital every time.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

newsom’s pick for senate is a union busting “consultant” who started her career as a union organizer. the worst kind of scab imaginable.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Commiefornia at it again

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

he went out of his way to find the worst possible turd to put in there

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

newsom’s pick for senate is a union busting “consultant” who started her career as a union organizer. the worst kind of scab imaginable.

the SEIU to Pinkerton pipeline

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Many unions seriously overwork their staff because there is always more work to be done. 60+ hour weeks aren't doable when you have a family to support, and there is always a huge number of activists willing to take your job. They are often unionized themselves, but they don't push back hard enough against their employer. When you have few other options for a career transition, selling your soul may be tempting.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

yeah the pool of well-paying, family-friendly employers who are happy to hire professional labor organizers is pretty small. unionizing all union staffs is critical

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

About 4,000 workers represented by the United Auto Workers (UAW) reached an agreement with Volvo Group-owned Mack Trucks just before midnight Eastern Standard Time (0400 GMT) on Sunday, the union and the company said.
The temporary agreement must still be ratified by the UAW.

"The terms of this tentative agreement would deliver significantly increased wages and continue first-class benefits for Mack employees and their families," Mack President Stephen Roy said in a statement.
The union announced the deal on [Twitter]. About 98% of the truck company's workers had authorized a strike last month, according to the UAW.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/msainat1/status/1709543105987313670

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1709675651718852757

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

helped unionize another workplace. the jewish museum in nyc just ratified their contract. decent raises all around, with bigger lifts for the lowest earners.

biggest thing is the simple existence of the contract: the workplace there is very hostile, with HR and senior managers being abusive. their former director had so many complaints the board had to eventually hire an outside firm to investigate claims of an unsafe workplace. she was forbidden to meet alone with anyone after that, and was pretty much a lame duck until she resigned. big hopes that the staff is less scared in the future. we were ready to strike, but management backed down upon hearing of our strike vote.

their attorney and general counsel both stated explictly in bargaining sessions that they had no obligation to pay employees enough to live in nyc

it's a bit of a thing in museums: the wages are generally lower than private sector jobs, based upon the idea of "doing it for the love of the art," non-profit bullshit, and in some cases prestige. the effect is that only people from means and/or with well-off spouses can stay in the industry. those people then also have little impetus to fight for higher wages. it destroys the ability of people of color/poor people/other marginalized groups to get jobs in museums.

as always, the solution is: more money. the means: organize

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Yeah I've been following changethemuseum on insta and that sounds like every museum

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

the fun thing is I’m sorta in a unique position, where I work at lots of different museums. the JM’s attorney also represents Guggenheim, where I spend most of my time. so, when he would make remarks like ‘the Guggenheim is in a good place with finances so that’s not a good comparison,’ to demonstrate how poor the Jewish museum was (lol) well, I made note of when he said that, so I can remind him of that when we are bargaining at Guggenheim in a month.

it’s not always a good idea to get into rapid conversation in bargaining, but when people start flapping their gums like that, I’ll take it.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

helped unionize another workplace. the jewish museum in nyc just ratified their contract. decent raises all around, with bigger lifts for the lowest earners.

the idea of the jewish museum in new york not being unionized until now is tragically funny

my pals have been working on the art institute of chicago campaign for years and yeah museums can be total poo poo shows

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

the fun thing is I’m sorta in a unique position, where I work at lots of different museums. the JM’s attorney also represents Guggenheim, where I spend most of my time. so, when he would make remarks like ‘the Guggenheim is in a good place with finances so that’s not a good comparison,’ to demonstrate how poor the Jewish museum was (lol) well, I made note of when he said that, so I can remind him of that when we are bargaining at Guggenheim in a month.

it’s not always a good idea to get into rapid conversation in bargaining, but when people start flapping their gums like that, I’ll take it.

lol, nice

also youre doing a great job

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

update

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrcRs34Wv00&t=950s

dunno where to buy the shirt

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Get their asses. Good luck at Guggenheim next

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

In Training posted:

Get their asses. Good luck at Guggenheim next

I could go on forever about the mismanagement of museums

thanks; it’s our second contract at Guggenheim, and we’re extremely organized.

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

Hot dude with a cool attitude.
Yesterday I told a bunch of immigrants how to get into several different kinds of unions like the specific steps to get into electrical, sheetmetal, and plumbing and they paid very careful attention and took notes.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Update from today:

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/mack-trucks-uaw-employees-strike-rejecting-contract-rcna119465

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I know heavy truck production is seriously backlogged already. I hope this gives them more leverage.

Has anyone here heard anything yet about a Wisconsin challenge to Act 10, public sector right to organize? I had thought when Protosiewicz was elected, someone would challenge it right away, but so far nothing. I'm in AFSCME and I heard 'we'll be the one to file!' ...and crickets.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Arkhamina posted:

I know heavy truck production is seriously backlogged already. I hope this gives them more leverage.

Has anyone here heard anything yet about a Wisconsin challenge to Act 10, public sector right to organize? I had thought when Protosiewicz was elected, someone would challenge it right away, but so far nothing. I'm in AFSCME and I heard 'we'll be the one to file!' ...and crickets.

I’d lean on your local’s leadership about it. they probably know some of the inside baseball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Comedy. I am the newest leadership. Or, board member at large. They're being cagey, but I honestly think that maybe state/national are still working on the plan, which is mildly disappointing.

I got nominated and elected after showing up to meetings for a year, and volunteering to do some membership database work. Nothing earthshaking, honestly just brute force 'if HR are being fuckers and won't provide contact info, well, FINE all that poo poo is on the City's Outlook intranet contacts. Then I emailed 400 people, got (many)out of work emails, and am cross checking in batches to update stuff. I'm a clerk. This is clerking 101.

Sadly the association (as we are technically not a union, just people asserting our right to associate, in a way that scares management) has been coasting. We have had very few gains, with either membership numbers or contracts. The same people doing the same roles for years. Trying to kick some life in it. We have SO MANY Madison private industry unions forming, but in the last 6 months we have added *2* people (and I recruited one of them).

Upside, I like a challenge!