Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Baron von Eevl posted:

This is an unnecessarily aggressive response for some common sense poo poo.

Common sense never is. The average cost for impression is 3 cents on average (there are premium and cheaper spots, of course) for a 30 second ad as of six months ago when I looked into it. This is remarkably consistent across services, and that means they have to roll 300 ads to get 10 bucks from a person. That's a lot of loving ads. Netflix shows 4 minutes of ads per hour, and if you assume the standard 30 second impression filling that time that means they're making 25 cents an hour, roughly.

The reason that Netflix is making more money from their lower tier is because if you're that hard up that you buy the "please spam me with ads" tier for 10 bucks less a month, you're either cheap to the point of insanity or materially poor. Poor people watch a ton of television (https://www.movieguide.org/news-articles/study-poverty-and-high-rates-of-tv-viewing-are-linked.html) because it's cheap. So, more tv = more ad impressions. 4 hours of TV a day = 1.00 for Netflix, 30 dollars per month in ad revenue. Ok, now this is making sense!

So what's very funny here, and what these advertising companies are going to catch on to, is that they're paying money to spam advertise to people with no buying power. 900 ads to somebody with no money. Stupid corporations getting ripped off by other stupid corporations. Bad poo poo.

The other side of the coin is that they may be technically making more money from these ad-supported customers vs premium customers on a per-capita basis, if they went universally ad-supported they would lose money overall, because Jane Q Doctor who watches 4 hours of Netflix a week isn't going to generate enough ad revenue to cover the difference. That's why they even have these tiers. But of course, the other cost is that Jane Q Doctor only subscribes for a handful of shows, and if they aren't delivering, she quits. The lower class people are stuck, they'll watch any old crap because they don't have options. Less volatile that way.

So, if my original post seemed hostile, it's because I actually took the time to understand this, and it's not cut and dried like you said, and it loving irritates me that people who know nothing about the industry they're blabbing about feel like the rest of us should read their know-nothing pontificating. You following it up with "it's just common sense" irritates me more, I'm sorry to say. It's not common sense. None of this poo poo is, it's a weird experimental underregulated market that literally came into being about 10 years ago. It's the Wild West out there.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Field Mousepad posted:

Ante up is a banger, not sure how it works in a pg-13 movie seeing it's about robbing people and whatnot

It's an an early montage of the Turtles "getting groceries", i.e. jacking grocery stores and delivery trucks in a fun PG-13 way.

I found out in the credits that Trent Reznor did the score. It was good stuff.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

So what's very funny here, and what these advertising companies are going to catch on to, is that they're paying money to spam advertise to people with no buying power. 900 ads to somebody with no money. Stupid corporations getting ripped off by other stupid corporations. Bad poo poo.

I really wonder how genuinely effective ads are these days. Ads for movies and TV, sure. But I get spammed with medicine ads and car ads, and all most advertising does to me is ensure I'll never buy your product (looking at you, Progressive).

I wonder how effective ads are in general nowadays, or if it's just in the "we've always done it X way, might as well keep going

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Tokelau All Star posted:

It's an an early montage of the Turtles "getting groceries", i.e. jacking grocery stores and delivery trucks in a fun PG-13 way.

I found out in the credits that Trent Reznor did the score. It was good stuff.

No poo poo? drat Trent is still killing it. That dude cannot miss

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Medullah posted:

I really wonder how genuinely effective ads are these days. Ads for movies and TV, sure. But I get spammed with medicine ads and car ads, and all most advertising does to me is ensure I'll never buy your product (looking at you, Progressive).

I wonder how effective ads are in general nowadays, or if it's just in the "we've always done it X way, might as well keep going

I think it is an open secret that advertising online just flat out doesn’t work. But there is so much money flowing around the internet due to advertising that no one wants to look at it closely. Supposedly most people involved know that if the true figures came out, the online ad budgets would get cut to $0 instantly almost across the board, and that everything would be impacted.

This could be just the usual goon hyperbole, but I think I have read that from a few different sources in a few different threads here. And kinda tracks with what is being revealed in the google court case of google blatantly manipulating search inputs behind the scenes to generate more revenue for themselves.

Absolutely no idea what that means for more traditional video, print, and billboard type of advertising.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Medullah posted:

They haven't done it this way, though. That's what I'm saying.

It costs more to buy airtime per viewer for golf games, for instance, because the networks know that you, the marketers, know that the target audience actually has money to spend, as a rule. This is what makes some of these lower viewership things worth it, that the people who watched were affluent and thus worth more to advertisers.

(BTW on this subject: golf viewers are now demanding premium ad-free service, because they've gassed the advertising too hard.) And advertising keeps getting worse for stuff like the NHL, which now has fake digital ads all over the boards and fake ads on the glass for the tv transmissions, and patches on the player's uniforms and helmets. Big time turnoff for people.

You know what this honestly reminds me of? The early days of web, where companies were paying way too much per impression, because they had no idea of their demos or anything else, and just wanted to "be in the space", and how the web ended up being either sites that were functional, but you paid for, or sites that were ad-infested crap piles that were eeking out pennies off grotesque piles of ads. That's where this is going to end up, and they'll be some doofus wisely explaining that this is what they had to do, it had to be this way, the choice was AdHell or nothing. When, in the digital realm, it is trivial to tier the content. That's one gigantic advantage over cable.

Orvin posted:

I think it is an open secret that advertising online just flat out doesn’t work.

It does work. I have a friend whose advertising budget directly effects the business, and you can watch the customers come into his site through ads. The percentages are small but the per-ad impression is tiny so it's a game of numbers. If he spends .1 cents per impression and 1 in 5k people come in and spend 50 bucks and his margin is 50% the math works out.

However, and I have to stress this, it's not banner ads. It's paying for Google results. That's where the "online advertising" is now: promoting your product on one of the two monopolies, Amazon or Google.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 3, 2023

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

So selling online advertising works in very specific cases. Every other site that relies on ad revenue is likely screwed.

And when even the biggest success story is only working because it is cashing in all its historical good will to directly funnel people towards advertisers, how long will that last? And I have seen notes that Amazon is court for something similar in regards to price fixing or their search algorithm or something.

From another thread:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Its kind of crazy to me that stuff like those popup video ads on like, random fan wikis even exist

I can't think of a single instance where I saw a video ad and had a positive impression of it or even remembered the product so I can only assume they are there purely to harvest accidental clicks

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Wolfsheim posted:

Its kind of crazy to me that stuff like those popup video ads on like, random fan wikis even exist

I can't think of a single instance where I saw a video ad and had a positive impression of it or even remembered the product so I can only assume they are there purely to harvest accidental clicks

Explicitly. There are fights over trying to become the "definitive" fan wiki to harvest the "views" on every page possible as a secondary revenue stream for owners, to the point of I think one of the Dark Souls wikis kept trying to push their Twitch channel to autoplay for more hits off of Amazon bucks?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

claw game handjob posted:

Explicitly. There are fights over trying to become the "definitive" fan wiki to harvest the "views" on every page possible as a secondary revenue stream for owners, to the point of I think one of the Dark Souls wikis kept trying to push their Twitch channel to autoplay for more hits off of Amazon bucks?

Fextralife would game hell out of their SEO, anytime a souls game came out they made sure their site would be the top search result for any “how do I beat this boss” question. The pages were often incomplete or outright wrong, and every page was autoplaying their twitch stream, so they had massive watch numbers on twitch but very little chat

I think Twitch made some changes to disallow that recently?

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Nothing like some Ash vs. Evil Dead to get me in the Halloween mood - it's apparently on Hulu now. Normal people suddenly turning into wisecracking assholes that constantly throw people through windows or immediately maim them never seems to get old for me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
From what I have watched of Gen V it’s pretty enjoyable and I’ll watch it, but I can’t help but feel like this is the moment where the Boys becomes exactly the thing it was lampooning in the first place.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

veni veni veni posted:

From what I have watched of Gen V it’s pretty enjoyable and I’ll watch it, but I can’t help but feel like this is the moment where the Boys becomes exactly the thing it was lampooning in the first place.

That's a trap that's been lurking in The Boys since the beginning, that they're increasingly dabbling in. See: near omnipotent, omniscient superheroes (or people taking drugs that make them superheroes) that could easily resolve a situation with those powers but don't because the plot would fall apart.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

poo poo, didnt someone post a link to Mr.Inbetween's actor who played Bruce in a commercial? I lost it and I cant find much else in America hes in thats streaming
Whole drat cast is like ghosts

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

they've been chasing the dragon of shock value for a while now. I'd peg the flip to the whale scene of season 2, personally. jumping the whale?

to be fair to them, the source material is even worse so it's honestly an improvement overall.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Do any streaming services have HDR? I was watching She Dies Tomorrow on Hulu last night and it was pushing the limits of what my old plasma tv could do for color

Edit: found an answer:

Might be time to get a new tv

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 5, 2023

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The Modern Leper posted:

No ads, and something a little more HD. There's some trash TV on there that I enjoy, but it all feels like it's streaming a <480p

I wonder if they can do AI upscaling on some of the older stuff? I was watching Newsradio the other day and it is looking pretty rough.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I wish it was easier to use as blockers on televisions. ublock blocks the ads on every streaming service effortlessly but I don’t really want to watch poo poo on my laptop or plug it into my TV.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

veni veni veni posted:

I wish it was easier to use as blockers on televisions. ublock blocks the ads on every streaming service effortlessly but I don’t really want to watch poo poo on my laptop or plug it into my TV.
Have you tried something like NextDNS or PiHole? Both of them completely nuke my tv's system-level ads, and you could probably find (or make) adlists that work on your streaming services.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

smackfu posted:

I wonder if they can do AI upscaling on some of the older stuff? I was watching Newsradio the other day and it is looking pretty rough.

I would strongly recommend that they not do this poo poo.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I would strongly recommend that they not do this poo poo.

Why?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Much better that it simply looks as it did rather than slapping the 2XSAI filter on it. Not remotely an improvement to have an "old" show look like a Megaman sprite comic.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Much better that it simply looks as it did rather than slapping the 2XSAI filter on it. Not remotely an improvement to have an "old" show look like a Megaman sprite comic.

No it's not an improvement to have it look like a Megaman sprite comic. Not sure why you'd think it'd look that way now or in the future, but way to ixnay a possible good idea on some hypotethical outcome I guess.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
We've seen what AI upscaling looks like in GTA 3 and pictures of the moon, it's not going to make a syndicated TV show from the 90s look "good", just weird.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

We've seen what AI upscaling looks like in GTA 3 and pictures of the moon, it's not going to make a syndicated TV show from the 90s look "good", just weird.

Oh come on. There's tons of advancements in AI happening every day. Don't read some garbo tech blog or Corridor and think that's the state of AI. I think we'll be at a place very soon where you could easily get good results.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I get feeling like that if you make a living in the industry, but I don't really have any motivation to humour it.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Don't worry, silicon valley is trying hard to ensure the obsolescence of the modern worker, any day now.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Y'all I'm talking about AI upscaling, not content scraping stuff. Things in the industry we've been using for years now like Topaz that have been getting really good.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I know what you're talking about. It's not very good!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

I know what you're talking about. It's not very good!

But it's getting there, especially with how fast things are advancing. Geez why are you this exhausting?

"Oh something is not at 100% of its realization this very second?!?!? NEVER USE IT EVERRRR!" lord

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I love watching AI-upscaled versions of all my favorite shows that make everything look smeared and glossy for no reason

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
lord y'all are insufferable. I guess enjoy your unending cynicism.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Can the AI add anime eyes to all of my favorite classic shows?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

withak posted:

Can the AI add anime eyes to all of my favorite classic shows?

YES! Now we're talking.

https://www.videocopilot.net/blog/2016/04/another-new-plug-in/

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 6, 2023

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Before they "upgrade" the masters of a show shot pre-HD and lose the hard drives in a junkyard in Arizona or something, they should make sure the upgrade doesn't look like poo poo first.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I wonder if NewsRadio was shot on film and they could just rescan? Is there a database for anything like that?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

i don't really need to see cheers in 4k or whatever

i don't think anybody does

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Wolfsheim posted:

i don't really need to see cheers in 4k or whatever

i don't think anybody does

Stuff shot on film that is rescanned looks great in modern resolutions. hth

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
If you look up any anime opening on youtube you're likely to get an AI upscaled to 4k version in the first five results. Some efforts look better than others, but they're all a little off and none of them are really great.

That said, those are mostly hobbyist projects, and I think some newer bluray releases of older shows do make some use of AI upscaling. Those can look quite good, but that's 1) when used by professions 2) as one tool among others.

I'm much more skeptical when it comes to working with live action material, at least with the tech I've seen so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

will seeing the AI-generated pores in niles' face when he accidentally makes an absolute fool of himself at frasier's dinner party make the joke funnier

like who cares