Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

If you REALLY wanted continued imperial dysfunction at any cost, then you'd want the war in Ukraine to perpetuate indefinitely. It's exposed all the shortcomings of the actual capabilities of the global north to wage war and conflict, continues degrading the material conditions of Europe, and represents a massive fiscal sink that wastes the energy and efforts of the United States.

uphold marxist-leninist-bidenist thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Bitter Harvest got brought up earlier and I could swear there was another movie in the last decade about the Ukrainian independence war in the 20s that also flopped. My searches for it have all been fruitless though. It's interesting that all these Ukrainian revisionist films haven't had any revival from the war, probably because they're still bad movies.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Orange Devil posted:

Yeah I support anything that'll gently caress up US empire. If that also materially worsens the lives of US citizens including many posters on this forum then oh well. I don't really give a poo poo because there's like 350 million of you and 7.5 billion of the rest of us. Plus Americans are garbage people.

I get what you are saying but in the end, no I wont prefer Trump over Biden just because Trump was insanely incompetent

Besides that, he is also a fascist and gave support to like-minded fascists around world, and that makes a lot of damage too. His defeat was substantial to Bolsonaro's defeat here in Brazil, and for the fact he didint had enough power and support for his post election coup

And also, whole might be an "isolationist " in relation to some countries, he was very eager to do something about Mexico or Venezuela

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I probably wasn't clear enough: electing a right wing libertarian or paleoconservative government is never, ever happening. It's not even a scenario, it's a sideshow. The best possible case for imperial dysfunction is another Trump presidency, and Trump just said a few days ago that he would've bombed Mexico. One way or another the imperialist wars will get shifted from Ukraine to either China or Latin America. If you REALLY wanted continued imperial dysfunction at any cost, then you'd want the war in Ukraine to perpetuate indefinitely. It's exposed all the shortcomings of the actual capabilities of the global north to wage war and conflict, continues degrading the material conditions of Europe, and represents a massive fiscal sink that wastes the energy and efforts of the United States.

I know Orange Devil is Dutch, so he probably doesn't appreciate that second part though.

Nah we have it coming. A lot of Europeans are only marginally better than Americans.

Plus I don’t see a scenario where EU states end their vassalage to the US and start acting in the better interests of their population (join BRI, achieve energy independence) without going through serious pain first. So imo best to get it over with quick.

The war in Ukraine is doing a hell of a lot more damage in Europe than to the US though. To the point where imo the US is a big winner what with everyone depending on them for LNG now.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Bitter Harvest got brought up earlier and I could swear there was another movie in the last decade about the Ukrainian independence war in the 20s that also flopped. My searches for it have all been fruitless though. It's interesting that all these Ukrainian revisionist films haven't had any revival from the war, probably because they're still bad movies.

The movie “Mr. Jones” is an important new historical drama with a very contemporary context. Released in the US in spring 2020, it sheds long overdue light on one of Stalin’s worst crimes, while also serving as a timely reminder that today’s talk of fake news is actually nothing new.

Written by Andrea Chalupa and directed by the Oscar-nominated director and screenwriter Agnieszka Holland, this joint Polish, Ukrainian, and British production follows one man’s struggle to expose Stalin’s man-made famine in Ukraine, a crime the Soviet regime was desperate to hide from the outside world.

The movie’s central character is Gareth Jones, a young Welsh journalist who travels to the Soviet Union in the early 1930s hoping to interview Stalin. Instead, he ends up uncovering the dictator’s darkest secret, the Ukrainian famine. Jones’s principle antagonist is the Pulitzer Prize-winning New York Times Moscow correspondent Walter Duranty, who uses his considerable status to publicly attack Jones and deny the existence of the famine. The two leading actors, James Norton (Gareth Jones) and Peter Sarsgaard (Walter Duranty), brilliantly capture this struggle for truth during what was one of the darkest periods in European history.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

If you REALLY wanted continued imperial dysfunction at any cost, then you'd want the war in Ukraine to perpetuate indefinitely. It's exposed all the shortcomings of the actual capabilities of the global north to wage war and conflict, continues degrading the material conditions of Europe, and represents a massive fiscal sink that wastes the energy and efforts of the United States.

i want the american empire to die but i also don't want ukrainians to keep dying

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Zodium posted:

uphold marxist-leninist-bidenist thought

mfw the world's only true revolutionary: Donald Trump; threatens to tear down the colossus of Washington DC.

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

The movie “Mr. Jones” is an important new historical drama with a very contemporary context. Released in the US in spring 2020, it sheds long overdue light on one of Stalin’s worst crimes, while also serving as a timely reminder that today’s talk of fake news is actually nothing new.

Ok, so Bitter Harvest WAS the movie I was thinking of.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Best Friends posted:

it’s wild that the entire west is donating tube artillery in active use, stripping whole batteries, but there’s thousands of Abrams sitting in the desert and they’re just giving Ukraine a few. all I can figure is that the leadership of the west actively wanted to reduce or eliminate their tube artillery and this was a good excuse.

how many of those are in working order though?

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

VoicesCanBe posted:

https://twitter.com/Ramy_Sawma/status/1709649688079589495

Troop numbers on both sides since Jan. 2022. No idea if the presented numbers are remotely accurate, but I found the video interesting lol.

Taken at face value, there's a bunch of things to note:

-At the start, both sides' totals are increasing. Ukraine increases rapidly, likely due to immediately introducing martial law and conscripting en masse, Russia more slowly.
-Within the first couple of weeks, Ukraine's totals become much higher than Russia + Donbass Republics combined, at least twice as high.
-Ukraine's number plateaus at roughly 860k, then dips a bit through Summer 2022. They recover and hold steady around 870k before beginning to increase again.
-In September 2022, the pace of Russia's troop increase rises dramatically. This makes sense because this is when they mobilize 300k reservists + absorb the Donbas militias into their ranks.
-By the end of 2022, Ukraine's total is 880k; Russia's is 689k.
-In the first half of 2023, building up to Ukraine's offensive, their ranks swell up to 950k. But in the first month of the offensive, June, they decrease from 953k to 943k (that's net losses, so it's taken new recruits into account during that time).
-The rate of losses slows down in the later months of the offensive. Toward the very end of the video there's a small increase; by video's end (September 15th) Ukraine has 949k available and Russia has 906k. Which directly leads to my biggest takeaway which is:
-Russia's ranks increase throughout the entire video, it never stops increasing.

The war probably has a long way to go, but one side is more capable of building capacity than the other.

Was thinking about this again because I'm insane. If that hawkish think tank is right about Ukraine having had around 2 million troops in the armed forces throughout the conflict, that coupled with the current count in this video would imply total losses (dead, injured, captured, deserted) around 1 million. That doesn't seem right lmao - one or more of the inputs here are completely off.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

VoicesCanBe posted:

Was thinking about this again because I'm insane. If that hawkish think tank is right about Ukraine having had around 2 million troops in the armed forces throughout the conflict, that coupled with the current count in this video would imply total losses (dead, injured, captured, deserted) around 1 million. That doesn't seem right lmao - one or more of the inputs here are completely off.

We've seen a lot of rumors and reports and speculation they casualty numbers are around the 400-500k range per side iirc

Artillery and mine warfare is some poo poo

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

Written by Andrea Chalupa and directed by the Oscar-nominated director and screenwriter Agnieszka Holland, this joint Polish, Ukrainian, and British production follows one man’s struggle to expose Stalin’s man-made famine in Ukraine, a crime the Soviet regime was desperate to hide from the outside world.

The movie’s central character is Gareth Jones, a young Welsh journalist who travels to the Soviet Union in the early 1930s hoping to interview Stalin. Instead, he ends up uncovering the dictator’s darkest secret, the Ukrainian famine. Jones’s principle antagonist is the Pulitzer Prize-winning New York Times Moscow correspondent Walter Duranty, who uses his considerable status to publicly attack Jones and deny the existence of the famine. The two leading actors, James Norton (Gareth Jones) and Peter Sarsgaard (Walter Duranty), brilliantly capture this struggle for truth during what was one of the darkest periods in European history.

given that the ussr was supposedly this authoritarian closed society, how exactly would some rando welshman end up "uncovering the darkest secret" that said all-powerful government so desperately wanted to keep secret?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

We've seen a lot of rumors and reports and speculation they casualty numbers are around the 400-500k range per side iirc

Artillery and mine warfare is some poo poo

which itself doesn't make much sense

one side has most of the artillery and one side has the most troops/targets

unless all those Ukrainian soldiers are real good at dodging Russia's huge artillery advantage something doesn't make sense with both sides losing the exact same amount of men. The entire Ukrainian frontline is one big target rich environment.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

KomradeX posted:

Talk about the pot calling the kettle Zwarte Piet

I mean, most municipalities plus all the media have now changed the appearance of Zwarte Piet and public opinion has shifted. We’re absolutely not there yet, but the struggle of anti-racism activists is producing results.

Last year the state and this year the monarchy have officially apologized for slavery and admitted those institutions committed crimes against humanity when they engaged in it. These were clearly influenced by the contribution in the parliamentary debate of the anti-racist, anti-colonialist, anti-capitalist party in parliament. This is now leading to consequences like the rehabilitation of Tula, the leader of a slave revolt on Curaçao, this week, the creation of a slavery museum, and changes to school curriculums.

I hope you have more, quicker and easier succes with anti-racism and anti-colonial struggles in your country.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Marenghi posted:

Speaking of. I was looking into the 'documentary' Harvest of Despair, which instigated the government reports in the US and Canada which determined the famine was a genocide and brought about the term holodomor. I had mentioned it was produced by the Ukrianian studies department underneath that ex-nazi chancellor recently exposed.

Anyway the producer and director Slavko Nowytski was hired by Voice of America a few years after that.
He hasn't produced much films since, just another 'documentary' Between Hitler and Stalin which explains how the OUN formed the UPA in response to being caught between two blood thirsty dictators.

The documentary itself is interesting but I have to research it further. Initial inaccuracies I found is they knowingly used photos and footage from the 1921 Russian famine because there was a lack of evidence from the Ukraine famine.

I'm going to guess they leave out the part where the UPA was also formed to ethnically cleanse Ukraine of its jews and other undesirables

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

gradenko_2000 posted:

SanderS = Nader + SS

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Good news for Sudan! Ukrainian special soldiers are fighting Wagner

https://twitter.com/clashreport/status/1710241167751671844?t=FVL-ul7d__wKCrMgVd2CyA&s=19

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

https://twitter.com/vonderleyen/status/1710309463146615017?s=20

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Maybe I’m way overestimating my forecasting abilities, but it’s mind boggling to me that ruZZia isn’t in full blown panic mode. The majority of artillery pieces that the Ukrainians destroy are “irreplaceable” seeing that they were pulled from old Soviet stocks. ruZZia (or most countries for that matter) don’t have the manufacturing capabilities to produce enough new artillery pieces to keep up with what’s being lost on the front lines. Ditto with tanks and BMPs. I’ve seen several videos where people have closely examined military bases and counted pieces of equipment. They all arrive at the same conclusion - sometime in mid-2024 is when ruZZia is going to run out of Soviet attic stock. Once this happens, their military is going to be without its main pillar and I gotta think that’s when things can get REALLY ugly.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

quote:

President of the @EU_Commission. Mother of seven. Brussels-born. European by heart. 🇪🇺

seven 😳

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

ruZZia

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

ru33ia

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

When I was a child my friend had an nes game called rush’n attack

I thought it was a clever pun

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

shouldnt they be somewhere else doing something more important ukraine

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Best Friends posted:

it’s wild that the entire west is donating tube artillery in active use, stripping whole batteries, but there’s thousands of Abrams sitting in the desert and they’re just giving Ukraine a few. all I can figure is that the leadership of the west actively wanted to reduce or eliminate their tube artillery and this was a good excuse.

Ukraine already have tanks in large enough quantity to do the type of operation they need. Shoving more tanks their way with the crazy supply train NATO tanks run on is a PR move at best hence the limited numbers.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

What's more important for Ukraine than strategically irrelevant PR wins?

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

The movie seems to be mixing reality with fiction. He wasn't traveling to interview Stalin, though he did visit Germany just prior to interview newly appointed Chancellor Hitler.
His trip was specifically to visit Ukraine and document the famine. He had already visited Ukraine twice once in 1930 and again in 1931, he wrote articles about the poverty and hunger he saw.

He was invited by Oscar Ehrt, Vice Consul at the German Consulate in Kharkov. He even visited the opera with the Vice Consul during his stay. The Consuls son Adolf Ehrt was head of Goebbels' Anti-Komintern agency, which was a propaganda unit to discredit the Soviet Union as a "Judeo-Bolshevik" conspiracy.
The movie also ends with him imprisoned before being deported, and breaking the story back in London. The truth was he was never arrested and traveled back to Nazi Germany where he first reported his story at a press conference in Berlin.

Cerebral Bore posted:

given that the ussr was supposedly this authoritarian closed society, how exactly would some rando welshman end up "uncovering the darkest secret" that said all-powerful government so desperately wanted to keep secret?

He was invited by Oscar Ehrt, Vice Consul at the German Consulate in Kharkov. He was a diplomatic guest of another country so he was afforded greater freedom than a standard visitor.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

they're """Ukrainian""" special forces, not Ukrainian special forces

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

basically the same needle the Tetris movie tried to thread

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Marenghi posted:

He was invited by Oscar Ehrt, Vice Consul at the German Consulate in Kharkov. He was a diplomatic guest of another country so he was afforded greater freedom than a standard visitor.

Just to follow up on this, the son was quite an interesting character. As mentioned he headed Goebbels' Anti-Komintern with Eberhard Taubert. But after the war he went on to work for the CIA founded Gehlen Organization, which was eventually re-organized into the BND, where he worked until retirement.

He doesn't have much presence in English media, but he has a German wiki entry which covers this.
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_Ehrt

Eberhard Taubert wrote Der Ewige Jude. So you can go from the Gareth Jone movie to Der Ewige Jude by 2 degrees of separation.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

I mean, most municipalities plus all the media have now changed the appearance of Zwarte Piet and public opinion has shifted. We’re absolutely not there yet, but the struggle of anti-racism activists is producing results.

Last year the state and this year the monarchy have officially apologized for slavery and admitted those institutions committed crimes against humanity when they engaged in it. These were clearly influenced by the contribution in the parliamentary debate of the anti-racist, anti-colonialist, anti-capitalist party in parliament. This is now leading to consequences like the rehabilitation of Tula, the leader of a slave revolt on Curaçao, this week, the creation of a slavery museum, and changes to school curriculums.

I hope you have more, quicker and easier succes with anti-racism and anti-colonial struggles in your country.

Whats the dutch opinion on Roma?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
the european opinion on roma has not changed in 40+ years beyond people being slightly quieter in their bigotry, but they might as well not bother because every one of them is doing it

seeing Roma get tied to lampposts is what got the EU to support the war in the first place, THIS is how you protect the garden

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Minenfeld! posted:

I was in high school during Iraq and my politics have shifted since then, so this particular war is my first real anti war experience writ large, but I'm starting to really understand the dynamics at play among the left in Europe at the beginning of the first world war and it's really deflating. So many folks I thought shared an understanding of the world with me simply didn't.

People put their money where their mouth was instead of marching proxies to their deaths. Mussolini was wounded and decorated.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

VoicesCanBe posted:

I don't think that video is anyway meaningful and it doesn't follow the data available. It is true both forces grew over time, but honestly I think both sides have taken more losses than implied, especially on the Ukrainian side.

supersnowman posted:

Ukraine already have tanks in large enough quantity to do the type of operation they need. Shoving more tanks their way with the crazy supply train NATO tanks run on is a PR move at best hence the limited numbers.

They don't really anymore, they have taken such punishing losses over the last 9 months that they dug way into their T-64 reserves and much of their Western armor has been accounted for. It has been a bloodbath.

Best Friends posted:

There aren't 1000s of them in the Desert anymore, they were probably that many M1 20 years ago but they have been re-using hulls to the point that there are about 1600-1700 left and in all likelihood they don't have engines. The tanks the Ukrainians are getting have been rebuilt ones.

The US doesn't want to "cash out" its remaining hulls because they don't getting their supply chain to produce them is going to be a complete mess.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I probably wasn't clear enough: electing a right wing libertarian or paleoconservative government is never, ever happening. It's not even a scenario, it's a sideshow. The best possible case for imperial dysfunction is another Trump presidency, and Trump just said a few days ago that he would've bombed Mexico. One way or another the imperialist wars will get shifted from Ukraine to either China or Latin America. If you REALLY wanted continued imperial dysfunction at any cost, then you'd want the war in Ukraine to perpetuate indefinitely. It's exposed all the shortcomings of the actual capabilities of the global north to wage war and conflict, continues degrading the material conditions of Europe, and represents a massive fiscal sink that wastes the energy and efforts of the United States.

I know Orange Devil is Dutch, so he probably doesn't appreciate that second part though.

Trump saying something isn't the same as doing it though, and Biden has generally been more aggressive than him. The Ukrainians aren't going to last forever, and I don't think Trump will have much bearing on it one way or another. The issue is giving the rest of the world a cooling-off period before another crusade begins.

Also, the Democrats will blame every defect of the empire on him and they will be at each other throats for years while the rest of the world moves on.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
i think all that's been exposed is that leftist became an aesthetic for a little while and maybe gave the impression of a larger leftist movement than their actually was. So like the more liberal parts of SA, they might say 'gently caress the police' but they don't mean it, in fact as majority white middle class they quite like the police as they keep them protected from all the underclasses created by their way of life. America sucked, because it was cool to say America sucked. But when push came to shove they didn't just flock back to supporting the US, they became some of the fiercest pro-nato demagogues. That's not whip-lash, that's just a facade falling away.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Leftism has always been an aesthetic, just look at the SPD.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Looks like the Russian Army has resumed attacks north of Kupyansk.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
We really need to incorporate basic theory of mind into public schooling if people are looking at a different viewpoint and the only conclusion they can make is "they must be getting paid to say they think that, there's no way they can hold an earnest belief that stopping a deadlocked war is a good thing"

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Regarde Aduck posted:

i think all that's been exposed is that leftist became an aesthetic for a little while and maybe gave the impression of a larger leftist movement than their actually was. So like the more liberal parts of SA, they might say 'gently caress the police' but they don't mean it, in fact as majority white middle class they quite like the police as they keep them protected from all the underclasses created by their way of life. America sucked, because it was cool to say America sucked. But when push came to shove they didn't just flock back to supporting the US, they became some of the fiercest pro-nato demagogues. That's not whip-lash, that's just a facade falling away.

There's no real political left in the imperial core. The US made sure of that in the Cold War, stamping it out internally by the 70s at the latest.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Personally Im not getting paid, Im just affect by all that russian disinformation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

KomradeX posted:

Whats the dutch opinion on Roma?

Mainstream opinion is that the reason there is a stereotype that Roma are all thieves and rapists is because it is true.