Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm just making drinks for myself so it doesn't really matter, but I am curious: is there a way to make a cocktail with coffee liqueur that doesn't come out looking like brown poopwater? Do you need to lean into it and make it even darker? Are there clear coffee liqueurs?
Revolvers are the only coffee liquor cocktails that I've found to be aesthetically pleasing:

2oz bourbon
.5oz coffee liquor
2 dashes orange bitters
Flamed orange peel

serve up

since it's a 4:1 bourbon to coffee ratio the drink ends up looking like very dark whiskey instead of poopie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I got this bottle of coffee amaro and having never had any other coffee liqueurs I'm not sure it's a similar flavor profile, aside from the coffee.

Might try it instead of vermouth in a Manhattan, maybe with orange and/or chocolate bitters.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
lol, you mean you might try the drink posted immediately above your post?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

i was gonna try 2:1 rye:amaro, but lol it's early and i haven't had my coffee, liqueur or otherwise, my bad

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm just making drinks for myself so it doesn't really matter, but I am curious: is there a way to make a cocktail with coffee liqueur that doesn't come out looking like brown poopwater? Do you need to lean into it and make it even darker? Are there clear coffee liqueurs?

There ARE some speciality clear coffee liqueurs, yes. But yeah it's gon be brown.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

oh also I'm really excited because I went to this little Italian market nearby and they have like half a dozen Amari i've never even heard of

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Noveis is very good and not easy to find, so I'd grab it, but I don't remember if you were one of the people recently not loving dell'Etna so maybe don't get it. Those and Braulio are all that alpine style.

Ramazzotti works especially well with mezcal. In the same group as Averna, but more orange and less cola.

Cio Ciaro I haven't loved, it's just kinda middle of the road. I'd take it over Meletti but take Nonino over it. Same with Vecchio honestly only I might not even take it over Meletti.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I was, but IIRC you were the one who said "try it straight" and I loved it! (I just had a hard time with the alpine profile when subbing it in for other amari)

Any reason you know of why the Braulio is $50? I'll admit that Nonino is fully justified in its price so, maybe it's just a highly-regarded one?

"Averna but more orange, less cola" sounds dandy, I might grab the Ramazzotti next time to start!

I agree with Cio Ciaro, it's OK. I get a Dr. Pepper taste off it. Vecchio I found to be too sweet and thick.

The other ones I haven't tried are the Amara, Francola, Sibona and Silano. Have you tried any of those? I'm also curious about the Borsci.

Also, sharp eyes will notice the multiple bottles of Chartreuse below the Averna, but I decided not to be greedy, I already have 3/4 of a bottle and I don't use it often.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Oh, nice. Yeah, when substituting amari you kind of have to go down to the subcategory level (e.g. Alpine vs. orange-forward vs. fernet, etc.), like you do with rum, to have any success. You can't substitute cross-category.

Braulio has name recognition, I'd guess it's most people's first alpine amaro (in America at least). The bottle is usually (always?) 1L. It's also super good.

I haven't had any of those other four, not that I remember, anyway.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ah, that makes sense, I guess I haven't considered it on that level. I should though, because you're right I'd never think of subbing fernet or campari in where it calls for averna or something.

I do love Fernet though :swoon: Torontos have basically replaced Old-Fashioneds for me

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Carillon posted:

Some great work! I tried your final variation and I like it, but for me I think I miss the peychauds/Nola style bitters notes. I really do like the nice pour of benedictine though, it's a fun drink.

Oops, that was definitely a copy and paste error. I used Peychauds not Angostura.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Scythe posted:

Cio Ciaro I haven't loved, it's just kinda middle of the road. I'd take it over Meletti but take Nonino over it. Same with Vecchio honestly only I might not even take it over Meletti.

Ciociaro is a good substitute for Amer Picon which is even harder to find

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Any recommendations for a spooky punch? We're hosting some friends for Halloween this year

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Captain_Person posted:

Any recommendations for a spooky punch? We're hosting some friends for Halloween this year

I recommend Lost Soul's Punch. It's been a reliable choice for me for years and years, and it goes down awful smooth. Definitely do the dry ice if you can, it makes it quite special.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I have been tasked on a dare to invent a new cocktail and am struggling a bit at the concept stage. I figure the simplest method is a Negroni variation and swap out the Campari with something a bit more personally palatable, but I don't want to fall back on just substituting some other bitter aperitive.

What is something wacky that, like Campari, really makes a drink its own and totally defines its character, and will get along with gin and vermouth?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Ouzo
Slivovice
Maletti
Italicus
Gran Marnier
Strega
Amer Picon
Soda water
Tonic water
Lillet Blanc
Literally a million other things.

The thing is, in a negroni, you're balancing sweet, bitter, and dry. If you're substituting the bitter component, you need to think about why the bitter works in this combination and find something else that can fill that role. Be inventive and play around with combinations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I saw this video a while back and since I had most of the ingredients already, I got the stuff I needed to complete it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArUPdwQOeuU&t=2s

For starters, the orgeat sells out fast when it is in stock. I just got it in today and it is the best orgeat I have had. It's very good.

Anyway, I made the drink and it is the best mai tai I've had. It's really tasty and everything is in balance and stands out well. I recommend it.

Has anyone here gotten that book? If so, what do you think? The amazon reviews indicate it is mostly esoteric stuff that requires a bunch of prep in advance.

Recipe:

1.5 Denizen 8 year
.75 Coruba
.5 Clement Creole Shrub
.25 Grand Marnier
1 lime
.75 Latitude 29 Orgeat
5 drops saline

The recipe calls for these exact rums. I tried it with my usual Torani orgeat and it was still good, but not as good as with the latitude 29.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 5, 2023

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

For starters, the orgeat sells out fast when it is in stock. I just got it in today and it is the best orgeat I have had. It's very good.

I’ve never actually seen it in stock. I actually kinda thought Orgeat works closed down because every item on their page said out of stock every time I’ve checked. I have some of the Liber & Co right now and it’s pretty great, but it pretty much tastes the same as a homemade rich almond milk syrup with a hefty dash of salt and almond extract.

I haven’t gotten that book yet but it looks like the price has started to come down so I’m sure I’ll grab it eventually. That’s definitely the sweetest Mai Tai spec I’ve ever seen though, is that orgeat less sweet than most?

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
i made orgeat once and it was pretty great and now i have enough xanthan gum leftover to fill approximately 4 olypmic sized swimming pools with orgeat

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I dunno about less sweet. It's definitely sweet, but not overbearing. It has a great aftertaste that lingers. I'm not the best at describing taste profiles.

E: i check it vs the Torani.

Torani: almond forward, thinner, mild sweetness. I suspect it has less sugar due to the thinness.
Lat29: thicker, sweetness forward, then the almond comes in. Reminds me of a nice simple with almond layered in.

Both are really good.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 5, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I can't remember where I found it, but I told myself I'd make my own when I run out of Giffards:

– 240 mL unsweetened almond milk
– 240 g turbinado sugar or demerara sugar
– 20 mL cognac
– 20 mL apple brandy
– 10 mL orange flower water

You can leave out the orange flower water, but it's pretty cheap on Amazon and lasts a long time.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Giffards is the only one I use when I run out of homemade.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Calvados tasting. Not pictured Lairds Straight 86. Morin from last year. The Pierre Huet and the Claque-Pépin were the cheapest two entry level VS type bottlings at MacArthur Beverages in DC. Both $30 but Huet 700 mL.

Really the Huet (middle in the picture) was far and away the best. Really had that apple character that carried through. It says on the back something about being for Eax-de-vie lovers. Claque-Pépin tasted a little off, maybe it was the pear used. Morin in the middle. I ended up blending all 4 bottles (including Lairds) together for my but if I had to re-do would just get more Huet.

I kind of hate all the label designs. Maybe comes with the spirit being considered old fashioned in France and lesser known abroad.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 5, 2023

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Sounds great. I'll keep an eye out for the Huet.

Why did you blend everything together?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I make peanut orgeat for a drink, it's amazing. It do the actual steeping method though, takes hours. Gives a really rich, silky syrup.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

TengenNewsEditor posted:

Sounds great. I'll keep an eye out for the Huet.

Why did you blend everything together?

Just my philosophy to keep it simple. If I already have something on hand I want to consume the good with the bad within the same category not to be wasteful. Also I'm gonna make my fall apple cocktail soon and the nuances of each individual would get more lost.

I like to reduce the almond milk down when I make orgeat. Last time I made it, it was whole carton almond milk, Coca Cola Dreamworld 20 oz, dem sugar, reduced, finish with almond extract, amaretto, 151 dem rum to taste. I like that almond candy note. Yield was pretty high and it seems to be keeping fine. Separates a tiny bit but a quick shake reincorporates it fine.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

This might be a weird question but can you make simple syrup with splenda? I'm not trying to make cocktails healthy, alcohol is always going to be poison, I just don't even have sugar in the house and use splenda for my coffee. In the past I've put splenda in drinks directly in place of sugar or simple syrup but unless you're adding something carbonated it's really hard to get it to not just form a layer at the bottom of the glass.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Probably? I made limoncello and replaced half the sugar in the simple syrup with stevia, and that worked out fine.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It dissolves in water so I guess so. The texture will be different and I have no idea how to dial in the sweetness to be comparable.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Splenda dissolves easier and won't be as syrupy - you can make it match the sweetness without even heating it up because of it's ability to dissolve and relative sweetness for amount used though. There's a sweetness conversion out there somewhere but I mostly have packets on a per drink basis since it dissolves so easily (one pack = 1 tsp sugar)

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
jesus christ, the post about putting stevia syrup in cocktails back-to-back with the one where Comb Your Beard casually mentions making orgeat with Coca-Cola was a lot to take in all at once

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

prayer group posted:

jesus christ, the post about putting stevia syrup in cocktails back-to-back with the one where Comb Your Beard casually mentions making orgeat with Coca-Cola was a lot to take in all at once

No judgement, but I'm glad I'm not the only one having a tough time on this page. Of course nothing wrong with any of this but cumulatively :psyduck:

TengenNewsEditor fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 6, 2023

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

prayer group posted:

My father in law has A Condition. Several, really.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Do Not Post The Old Fashioned Made With Sprite And A Half Bottle Of Whiskey Video

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

prayer group posted:

If you enjoy it and it gets you drunk, go for it is my philosophy. I'm not a fan of shaming or gatekeeping because someone doesn't adhere to "the one true way" to make cocktails.

I will absolutely drink the gently caress out of a Wisconsin old fashioned with gusto

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
i like wisconsin old fashioneds and poo poo too, i just said it was a lot to take in lol im not gatekeeping anything. leapfrogging off of me to tell the thread how chill and accepting you are is weird but i don't disagree with you

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If you drink anything other than straight glasses of OFTD I don't want to know you.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Grand Fromage posted:

If you drink anything other than straight glasses of OFTD I don't want to know you.

Well obviously, but if you only drink straight glasses of OFTD I doubt you'll be able to remember anyone's name long enough to know them.

Re my other post I got the impression from your language that you were being derisive of people who put weird poo poo together which in my opinion is the essence of cocktail making. I wasn't trying to tout how cool and accepting I am so much as note that people might not feel welcome if they share a story about their cocktail experiences and get laughed at.

Alucard fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 7, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

It’s wild how easy some 50-70% abv sugarcane rum/rhum Agricoles are. My partner hates alcohol burn and can drink Paranubes at 54% ABV straight.

It’s real good.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Speaking of agricoles:

This guy thinks the Clairin rums are going to be the next big thing. I don't know much about this stuff, but he brings up some valid points. The Clairins are pretty interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/@differentspirits4157/search?query=clairin Those are the vids he did on Clairins.

and I think this is the one where he raves about them, in general:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfPbNw7RJO0