Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

First of May posted:

Dunno if you can just buy one, but overhauling a Zune is possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1ReVV_rjuc

this is rad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I'm the idiot who had three different Sony MP3 players including a relatively recent one that does :pcgaming:hires audio :pcgaming: and I haven't used it in about two or three years since I stole my wife's tidal account and stopped bothering to download music

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

2Fast2Nutricious posted:

Maybe iRiver? Mine was an h300 but i lost it somewhere. :(

Hmm. Similar form factor but hers had a monochrome screen and I think it was grey and orange.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

gently caress this unlocked a forgotten memory, I had an Archos video player thingy whose battery lasted ~90% of an average movie length from new

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
It came with this crazy elaborate case that had a couple of TV antennae built in(?!) that I never got to work

fankey
Aug 31, 2001

this thing was awesome - 6GB of storage in 2000! wonder what happened to mine...

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

every so often i think about getting a nomad but then remember every youtuber i've seen say they have one has also said it doesn't work

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
hirens boot cd

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

support techs will cut you if you try to take their hirens stuff away

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Leperflesh posted:

I got my wife an mp3 player that was kind of a giant brick, but it had a hard drive and a radio tuner and no DRM and would play any file format. She loved that thing, but after a year someone stole it and she wound up with a zune after that. Way smaller and at that point basically nobody was selling them with radio tuners built in any more which was really sad, because she liked to listen to NPR on the bus and then switch to MP3s for the train ride on her daily commute.

argh the inline remote with fm tuner for my iPod Nano was great and i used it a ton

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Wild EEPROM posted:

hirens boot cd

knoppix

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

the zune hd supported HD Radio which was kinda neat. I think it used the headphone cable as the FM antenna. iirc most? portable devices did it that way

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

god, yes, waving your device around, stretching the headphone cable this way and that, trying to get that station to come in right

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

lots of phones used to have fm receivers that used the headphone cable as the antenna

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

nudgenudgetilt posted:

lots of phones used to have fm receivers that used the headphone cable as the antenna

i distinctly remember my ipod nano having a message to tell you that, thing ruled and i listened to so many zane lowe shows on that thing when he was cool and on radio 1

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

njsykora posted:

every so often i think about getting a nomad but then remember every youtuber i've seen say they have one has also said it doesn't work

They also use USB 1.1 so it takes an entire day to fill the drive. And the button interface is excruciating when you have to go through 1000 songs.

The iPod's firewire and scroll wheel really were a revolution in mp3 player ux at the time.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

flashbacks to parallel port compact flash terminals

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
compact flash was a Quality Form Factor

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rotor posted:

a form factor of quality, yes

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

First of May posted:

Dunno if you can just buy one, but overhauling a Zune is possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1ReVV_rjuc

at some point it's gotta just be cheaper to 3d print your own case and buy the rest of the parts off alibaba or whatever but this still does own

rotor posted:

LieutenantFrost
Aug 9, 2009
i still miss my winpho7 - an htc pro 7

it was the last mobile i used with a hardware keyboard (slide-out! never mind the fact that it made the thing 2x as thick)

also, the zune desktop app was surprisingly good. syncing to the phone was easy as poo poo, it was good for grabbing any podcast (the feeds were rss based), and it didn’t freeze my pc up every time i clicked a ui element like itunes did at the time

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
zune desktop app was great but it was all too little too late. itunes was worse in every way than even windows media player, but it didnt matter cause ipod

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
there was a discman style device that would read burned cdrs- data, so you could just burn mp3s on a data disc and it would play them. anyone remember the name? it was like the very first device that did that

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

`Nemesis posted:

there was a discman style device that would read burned cdrs- data, so you could just burn mp3s on a data disc and it would play them. anyone remember the name? it was like the very first device that did that

It was made by Rio I think. I had one.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

First of May posted:

It was made by Rio I think. I had one.

rio volt

there were a few others before it but that was the big name

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
zynga

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

yeah pretty sure Panasonic made some MP3 CD players as well

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

techtv

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

I miss this channel not going to lie.

As much as I lol at screen savers, it was a pretty good show.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I want my, I want my, I want my techtv

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I'm the idiot who had three different Sony MP3 players including a relatively recent one that does :pcgaming:hires audio :pcgaming: and I haven't used it in about two or three years since I stole my wife's tidal account and stopped bothering to download music

Tidal

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

tidal also reminds me of mqa which was basically audiophile drm for effectively mp3 files

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

AlbertFlasher posted:

I miss this channel not going to lie.

As much as I lol at screen savers, it was a pretty good show.

Hard same

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

2Fast2Nutricious posted:

Maybe iRiver? Mine was an h300 but i lost it somewhere. :(

I had an iRiver H120 and then a 340 . those were stupidly great for the time. no software to install, just plug it in (USB2) and it set itself up as an external HD. just drag and drop whatever files you had. played mp3, wma and ogg files (lol). supported .m3u playlists.

when the 340 died after I dropped it in a sink full of water, they were discontinued and I got an iPod classic. felt like a downgrade.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

ogg files

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I had some Archos jukebox MP3 player that I remember installing RockBox on and then running rudimentary tetris and other stuff on it

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I had a gen 1 iPod nano and I ran rock box on it, so I could play my lossless gapless ogg vorbis rips

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
My first MP3 player was the Dell branded Digital Jukebox which was Creative platform, had the 15GB spinning rust disk. Was such a cool thing to have in the early 2000s

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

IR blasters

it's good, haters gonna hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
side talkin on the ngage.