Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0G7F81LTZw

Haha, cops think he was sucking dick.

e;
Classic Ben Stiller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Less homophobic and more of thr 90s gay panic stuff.

There's a lot of 'comedy' from the 90s where no had a problem with homosexuality but had an absolute freak out if someone thought they were gay.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Less homophobic and more of thr 90s gay panic stuff.

There's a lot of 'comedy' from the 90s where no had a problem with homosexuality but had an absolute freak out if someone thought they were gay.

"Not that there's anything wrong with that!"

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Not that you can't argue that gay panic is homophobic, but I think there's enough room for a divide between the hateful and the 'meant well but tripped on their own prefudices.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

This isn't any more correct. The meek aren't going to inherit the Earth - the kids of the rich assholes are.

Nah the meek can inherit the earth. No one ever said what condition it would be in.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I haven't seen the movie in a decade, but I remember the last time I saw it, I thought to myself "you know, it's kind of nice that the movie goes out of its way to show Ben is being given horrible advice by worse and worse creeps." Up to and including him seeking out an ex of hers that (I think) had been driven from her because of one of said creeps to reunite them.

I feel like a decent chunk of Ben's movies from the 90s aren't awful or hateful. Heavyweights has the kids get taught proper eating habits and exercise routines after kicking out the highly toxic camp director. It even has some of the workout maniac counselors stick around and develop healthy relationships with the kids. I use that example because I feel like they didn't have a whole bunch of "lol, these kids are fat" jokes, and if they did, it was usually from anyone in an antagonist role. Granted, it is a Disney movie (I think?) so of course it'll be wholesome, but still

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It might be difficult for you younger goons to understand but there was a time when people actually looked forward to a new Ben stiller movie coming out.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

oldpainless posted:

It might be difficult for you younger goons to understand but there was a time when people actually looked forward to a new Ben stiller movie coming out.

Now they're all waiting for season two of Severance, new Ben Stiller TV.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Another movie that seems like it would age poorly but didn't was blades of Glory. The whole point of the movie is that the people giving them side-eyes for being two men doing something that is normally a man-woman thing are morons and by the middle of the movie they've completely stopped giving a poo poo. Also had great skating scenes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPFRZP4qY7I

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Desert Bus posted:

Now they're all waiting for season two of Severance, new Ben Stiller TV.

We’re in the better era, at least in this.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Jon Heder's character in that film has the exact same name as my grandpa. We grandkids decided to keep that fact hidden from Nana, lest she force herself to see it out of some weird form of devotion.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Being a trucker is a lot like being in prison in that it doesn't count as gay if you have sex with dudes while doing it.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I just got to the episode where Carrie cheats on Aiden. Those didn't age poorly. What aged poorly was her ending up with him in the new series. He was too good for her

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Ben Stiller is just making me wanna watch the rest of Mystery Men. That movie really didn't get its due credit for how great it is, and frankly has a lot of bits modern superhero movies should learn from.

I suppose comedies can come off weird because we expect them to have a bunch of cringe shock value humour and bigoted jokes, but back then portraying those things as innocuous and the people freaking out about them being silly was probably the edgy subversion.

For that matter, the entire premise basically being that Mary is just nice and attractive, and that leads to multiple men going through increasingly insane bullshit to get close to her, like she's being pursued by multiple romcom protagonists at once. Which also feels like a subversion in having that behaviour rightly shown as insane, and iirc she ends up with the man who more or less just asked her out like a sane human being that the rest were trying to sabotage.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Ben Stiller is just making me wanna watch the rest of Mystery Men. That movie really didn't get its due credit for how great it is, and frankly has a lot of bits modern superhero movies should learn from.

I suppose comedies can come off weird because we expect them to have a bunch of cringe shock value humour and bigoted jokes, but back then portraying those things as innocuous and the people freaking out about them being silly was probably the edgy subversion.

haven't seen mystery men in more than 15 years but it was one of my favorite superhero comedy films. has a lot of heart that i didn't think a movie like it would have had. that being said, there were some instances of some of the more annoying style of comedy that plagues us today, the so-called "marvel style" humor, like when ben's character points out how formulaic the sphinx's advice sounds like. granted, yes, nothing on the level we see today, thankfully, which is why i feel it's aged pretty well overall.

also, i just find it kind of interesting/funny that the movie bombed, but it's theme song, All Star, turned out to be one of the most popular songs of all time (and used in other movies endlessly).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think it fits a lot better because the characters are specifically all bottom tier superhero wannabes, so it fits they have a bottom tier mentor. The problem in the Marvel movies is that literally everyone talks like that.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I just got around to watching Happy! on netflix and the main thing that hurts the show's aging is how many characters use the r-word previously ascribed to people with learning disorders, although mostly used in a prejorative non-literal way.

However while it was cancelled it made it to a point where its' still a good place for the story to stop as most questions have been answered and most new questions are metaphysical relating to the nature of imaginary friends and their relationship with their rival Orcus the God of Death, or epilogue style things of now that the family is irrevocably hosed beyond being able to exist in polite society, what will they become as they do everything in their power to come back together as a unit with no regard for anyone outside their family, and how will Happy cope trying to keep them from falling into complete madness and darkness while also being one of the few IF's left after a traumatic live televised event basically genocided most of their kind. The main arc of the Evil children's show host and his weird alien demon buddies is mostly resolved so the story at least has a satifying conclusion.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BioEnchanted posted:

I just got around to watching Happy! on netflix and the main thing that hurts the show's aging is how many characters use the r-word previously ascribed to people with learning disorders, although mostly used in a prejorative non-literal way.

However while it was cancelled it made it to a point where its' still a good place for the story to stop as most questions have been answered and most new questions are metaphysical relating to the nature of imaginary friends and their relationship with their rival Orcus the God of Death, or epilogue style things of now that the family is irrevocably hosed beyond being able to exist in polite society, what will they become as they do everything in their power to come back together as a unit with no regard for anyone outside their family, and how will Happy cope trying to keep them from falling into complete madness and darkness while also being one of the few IF's left after a traumatic live televised event basically genocided most of their kind. The main arc of the Evil children's show host and his weird alien demon buddies is mostly resolved so the story at least has a satifying conclusion.

The best place for Happy! to have stopped would have been the end of the first season. The second season was bad.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I thought it was very funny.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think it fits a lot better because the characters are specifically all bottom tier superhero wannabes, so it fits they have a bottom tier mentor. The problem in the Marvel movies is that literally everyone talks like that.

Also the movie was based of the Flaming Carrot comics which had a pretty surreal sense of humour with lots of dumb nonsensical quips. Flaming Carrot himself was a bit too weird for a mainstream film so they used a bunch of the minor characters like The Shoveler and Mr Furious, whose first appearance was in the story "I Cloned Hitler's Feet!"

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ut babycakes, now we swing for it!

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I can't remember where I read the description, but in the comic, they were supposed to be blue-collar, working superheroes, with the highest casualty rate for any team, but also the highest kill count.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Mr Interweb posted:

also, i just find it kind of interesting/funny that the movie bombed, but it's theme song, All Star, turned out to be one of the most popular songs of all time (and used in other movies endlessly).
While All Star is on the Mystery Men soundtrack and used in the film, it wasn't from the movie, at least not in a meaningful way:

May 4, 1999: "All Star" is released as a single
May 22, 1999: "All Star" debuts on the Billboard singles charts, stays on the charts all summer long
June 8, 1999: "Astro Lounge", the Smash Mouth album containing All-Star is released
July 12, 1999: Smash Mouth perform "All-Star" live during the MLB All-Star Game weekend
July 23, 1999: Inspector Gadget, another film containing "All-Star" in the film/on the released soundtrack is released
August 6, 1999: Mystery Men premieres in theaters

Granted, the music video for the song was a tie-in to Mystery Men, but the song was a big hit well before the movie actually came out, and when the movie faded into obscurity, the song lingered and was used in even more (and more successful) movies in the next few years.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tiggum posted:

The best place for Happy! to have stopped would have been the end of the first season. The second season was bad.

Yeah, Happy clearly wasn't expecting to actually get a second season and they really had no idea what to do with it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I still found it pretty funny, like the fight with everyone slipping around in the other guy's blood and the imaginary alcohol saving the day in the finale.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Ben Stiller is just making me wanna watch the rest of Mystery Men.
Casanova Frankenstein is the best name of a villain ever created.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Oldstench posted:

I'm watching a dumb anime that's currently airing and their ultimate world-ending enemy is a gigantic shadow-dimension dragon called Boromir Napolitan ...... but he's no Casanova Frankenstein

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm watching a dumb anime that's currently airing and their ultimate world-ending enemy is a gigantic shadow-dimension dragon called Boromir Napolitan ...... but he's no Casanova Frankenstein

It's nowhere near as good a name but this reminded me that I found out that the big evil sorceror/alchemist in Escaflowne was Sir Isaac Newton from a fancomic where Mr T got sent to the Escaflowne world and bolted robot arms to his van so he could throw suckas hella far.

Given some of the things I remember about Escaflowne I actually wonder whether the anime or the early 2000s fancomic aged worse. Regardless, I will always treasure the image of a 17th century polymath being thrown halfway across the continent by a fool-pityin' custom van.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Oldstench posted:

It really is. Even fits as one can imagine when you have an unstoppable superhero, all but the goofiest villains have either already been arrested or given up.

One of the best parts of the movie is in the final confrontation, he actually uses tactics against the Mystery Men, holding reserve forces and having the gangs serve various roles against them, even being open about it, rather than just throwing endless forgettable hordes against them.

Also that Ben Stiller's character being a rage-fuelled berserker who isn't bad-tempered actually arguably makes him a very good superhero in that he's not constantly raging out like say, the Hulk's whole deal. Almost feels like a riff on the kind of character he'd end up playing, and/or on 90s/00s toxic masculinity, and iirc the Sphinx does seem to support him only using his anger when really necessary. Also fun that when he DOES rage out it's expressed with an impressively brutal and effective fighting style. Pretty much the whole movie is like, taking lower to mid tier superheroes and showing them as being pragmatic and effective because they use their powers right, rather than just being jokes by definition.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I love then confrontation at the car where Mr Furious is just beating ineffectually at the roof and the Blue Raja is basically keying his car with a dinner fork.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Phy posted:

It's nowhere near as good a name but this reminded me that I found out that the big evil sorceror/alchemist in Escaflowne was Sir Isaac Newton from a fancomic where Mr T got sent to the Escaflowne world and bolted robot arms to his van so he could throw suckas hella far.

Given some of the things I remember about Escaflowne I actually wonder whether the anime or the early 2000s fancomic aged worse. Regardless, I will always treasure the image of a 17th century polymath being thrown halfway across the continent by a fool-pityin' custom van.

I was WAY into Mr. T vs. Everything when I was an idiot high schooler. I had completely forgotten about it, thanks for the nostalgia. :allears:

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Phy posted:

I rewatched Escaflowne just before the pandemic, and it mostly holds up! The character writing is strong, the plot moves hella fast, and by god those mecha rule. The ending is a bit of a mess, but that's because the animation industry likes loving over that director in particular. Vision of Escaflowne was envisioned as having almost twice as many episodes, and they had to zoom through plot beats to scramble an ending together. The directors newer show, Stars Align, was also really dang good but got butchered by budget cuts and then cancelled halfway through. I'm still a lil' mad

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Squidster posted:

I rewatched Escaflowne just before the pandemic, and it mostly holds up!

And the OST fukken slaps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_49H_N43jQ

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Could have done with fewer catgirls.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Edge & Christian posted:

While All Star is on the Mystery Men soundtrack and used in the film, it wasn't from the movie, at least not in a meaningful way:

May 4, 1999: "All Star" is released as a single
May 22, 1999: "All Star" debuts on the Billboard singles charts, stays on the charts all summer long
June 8, 1999: "Astro Lounge", the Smash Mouth album containing All-Star is released
July 12, 1999: Smash Mouth perform "All-Star" live during the MLB All-Star Game weekend
July 23, 1999: Inspector Gadget, another film containing "All-Star" in the film/on the released soundtrack is released
August 6, 1999: Mystery Men premieres in theaters

Granted, the music video for the song was a tie-in to Mystery Men, but the song was a big hit well before the movie actually came out, and when the movie faded into obscurity, the song lingered and was used in even more (and more successful) movies in the next few years.

wait, it was in the soundtrack for Inspector Gadget movie BEFORE Mystery Men? :monocle: i always associated that movie with the song from Youngstown ( which was definitely a banger, btw :colbert: ) granted, obviously movie soundtracks have more than one song included in them, but this is still interesting

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
All Star stopped being fun the moment they started doing Nazi salutes and willingly and knowingly contributing to superspreader events.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

credburn posted:

All Star stopped being fun the moment they started doing Nazi salutes and willingly and knowingly contributing to superspreader events.

Was that all of them, or just the dead one that got kicked out?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

the_steve posted:

Was that all of them, or just the dead one that got kicked out?

Did they kick one out? Oohh maybe the song was redeemed.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

credburn posted:

All Star stopped being fun the moment they started doing Nazi salutes and willingly and knowingly contributing to superspreader events. Shrek got released
Ftfy, although the Nazi poo poo is also super loving uncool.

God I hate Shrek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Could have done with fewer catgirls.

You shut your drat mouth. Naria and Eriya are the luck soldiers of my heart.