Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Love to hire the guy with the "Everytime I jump I say gently caress You SEGA" video to do some promo for me. :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

No rating on the oval office-o-meter for Fang?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

A lot of Sonic’s parts of the Frontiers DLC chapter were tedious bullshit but the final battle was worth it once you know what you’re doing and the other 3 characters were fun (though I wish they’d done a little more with them). Much better ending too and there’s no real reason to ever do the vanilla The End fight again now unless you really want to for some reason.

Sage is definitely coming back in the next 3D game considering in the original ending Eggman recovers her data and remakes her and here she doesn’t end up having to sacrifice herself at all (also nice to know she’s still an Eggman creation at her core and is fully on board with her dad’s plans for world conquest), I still want her to pop up in the IDW comic as well

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 5, 2023

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

MJeff posted:

Love to hire the guy with the "Everytime I jump I say gently caress You SEGA" video to do some promo for me. :laffo:

he did apologize
https://twitter.com/UltimaShadowX/status/1710003254942114051

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

he wasn't actually sorry. and neither am I, origins still sucks

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Evil Eagle posted:

he wasn't actually sorry. and neither am I, origins still sucks

Last I heard/checked, with the last update Origins got a little while back Sonic 1 is now literally unplayable as Tails without debug or stage select (going deep underwater in Labyrinth Zone crashes the game)

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Evil Eagle posted:

origins still sucks

:yeah:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

S1F/S2A/S3AIR continue to be the objectively best way of playing these games

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i played a bunch of sonic fan games in the leadup to the frontiers dlc and, most of them were really good and very much worth checking out. in order:

sonic triple trouble 16 bit: the cream of the crop, the production values put into this are impressive enough in their own right but taking the best of the game gear games and remixing it into something even better with plenty of affectionate nods to the original and more playable characters (+ amy rose!)? and reinterpreting the special stages as races against fang was pretty inspired. if you play any of these play this!!

sonic and the fallen star: the art direction on display here is off the hook. fallen star has incredible sprites both for characters and stage elements, and two sick soundtracks you can customize per level. also probably my favorite special stages of any of these though that might be mostly for the music. the cutscenes can go on a little too long though and the kirby inspiration led to levels being too big and empty early on. definitely on the easy side

sonic time twisted: rock solid. the dev said their goal was to blend cd's level design with 3k's and i think they succeeded at that; you get that big emphasis on exploration but with a bit more focus and direction, and fewer loop mazes and overlapping geometry. i thoroughly enjoyed this, up until the final boss. it's a bogus fight as regular sonic and then the super sonic follow-up is straight out of a 12 year old's notebook scribbles: the premise of the game is that eggman died after 3k and metal sonic successfully resurrects him as, the weird galactus from the archie comics?? who then gets his face smashed into a bloody mess at the end of the fight. bizarre sequence of events

sonic SMS remake: the superior version of sonic 1 gets even better with expanded levels, some of the missing 16 bit stages getting demade into the 8bit style, and the ability to play as the whole mania crew of sonic, tails, knuckles, mighty, and ray

sonic gt: as far as fan games go, i've gotten the impression that 2d mechanics are a lot more figured out than 3d, so i was really impressed by how well sonic gt controls. you can go really fast and the levels are massive to take advantage of that, but it's never biting off more than it can chew. the bosses are a bit lackluster, especially the final one, but that's kinda the norm to be honest. and the cutscenes are uh, intrusive, but regardless i still strongly recommend this title for the movement alone. it's got the good speedfeel. the dev is currently working on an original game called Project Rascal and i'm looking forward to it!

big's big world: on paper this sounds like a goofy joke you play for ten minutes but i ended up liking it quite a bit! froggy has run off again and you have to find him, but he randomly spawns in like any body of water in the game world so actually finding him is enough of a pain in the rear end that you just wander around instead. and then you start finding chaos emeralds and then things click lol. the world itself is a mish mash of many different sonic environments, some from unexpected sources, and it's clear a lot of affection went into the project. an excellent way to spend a couple hours

sonic SMS remake 2: gamers they did it. they make sonic 2 8bit good. admittedly this was accomplished by throwing out a lot of the original level design and tweaking how things like the hang glider control, but still. great effort! SMS remake 2 also introduces a tag team mechanic allowing you to hot swap between your two characters at any time outside of boss fights. the teams are: sonic and tails, amy and knuckles, shadow and metal sonic, mighty and ray, and beating the game unlocks espio and vector.

sonic robo blast 2: a classic for good reason. i'm still kinda flabbergasted that doom is actually a strong base for sonic gameplay. admittedly however i felt let down by amy's gameplay, and i don't really think the open exploratory levels of the first half mesh that well with the much more linear platforming challenge focused levels of the second half. also i guess i shouldn't be surprised given its age but the difficulty was pretty old school. so many bottomless pits in the looney tunes desert zone... and the spacewalk sections in egg rock were rear end!

sonic SMS remake 3: timelines: this is just a demo right now but if the first two were anything to go by, it's one to watch. 3 is inspired by both sonic chaos and triple trouble, but is also going in way more of its own direction. you've got just two teams this time (so far at least) but there are three members each: sonic shadow silver for the speed team and amy rouge blaze for the power team. you can tag between anyone on a team at any time, and can switch teams with a monitor in acts, allowing you to effectively seek out the red rings scattered about. also, the special stages? are alex kidd levels lol. idk if the final game will draw from multiple old sega games or just alex kidd but, it's a powerful idea

sonic mcorigins plus: this is, a digitized collection of mcdonalds happy meal games from the mid 2000s. definitely more of a novelty than anything else, but still some of the little sprites are so cute!

sonic world dx: this game was fun but also kinda disappointing. it's trying to blend all the modern 3d games into one and i unfortunately don't think it really succeeds. anything involving precision just feels kinda janky and not in a fun way. characters feel too slippery squirrely for adventure style levels and i'm not really sure the game could handle boost style levels, the engine seems like it's held together with tape due to its age i guess? but it crashes so much... and the readme acknowledges this and just points you toward a bandaid patch while admitting they don't really know how to fix it. still though, i'm gonna keep an eye on future updates

sonic 2.5: a demo built in pico8 that will take you like ten seconds to finish but it's enjoyable nonetheless

sonic blasting adventure: inspired by bootlegs and it shows lol. neat though

sonic dreams collection: i thought this was pretty meh. playing it for the first time years after its release means all the shock factor is gone and, that's all this really had going for it. haha sonic pregnant

sonic 3d in 2d: i have a giant soft spot for sonic 3d blast which magnified everything annoying about this. the levels more resemble the sonic 3 levels they're reskinning than the 3d zones (why does rusty ruin have water now) and the special zones are just lazy sonic 2 halfpipes with the same ring patterns over and over. the enemy and spike ball placements are freaking gotcha city which could be easily avoided with wide screen if the dev didn't insist on 4:3 to "maintain the classic feel," but also mercy invincibility lasts a fraction of the time for some reason. feh

sonic advance 4 advanced demo: sonic advance ftw but this ran like molasses on my computer and i'm not sure why. a shame

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
october is for spooky games but after that i'm gonna check out some not-free sonic fan games. freedom planet 1 and 2, the spark trilogy, code bunny

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Looper posted:

i do think it's mad goofy the second combat trial emphasizes that all you can do is cyloop right after you've been playing as characters who have to unlock the parry, when the solution to the first four trials is to spam parry

Dr. Eggman's Koco's deadly speed combat trap.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Re SRB2: Egg Rock is the level next up for a redo. All the others have had relatively recent remakes but Egg Rock was left untouched so that a new version could be put out in a reasonable time.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I recommend checking out the level design contest packs for SRB2, there's a ton of sick maps in them

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Dabir posted:

Re SRB2: Egg Rock is the level next up for a redo. All the others have had relatively recent remakes but Egg Rock was left untouched so that a new version could be put out in a reasonable time.

this makes me sad cause honestly I still think egg rock 2 is one of the best levels ever made for that game. hopefully they keep the originals around as a bonus level or something

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
I'm surprised Cybershell managed to not vanish and finish the video after they paid him :v:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I'm in horrible pain realising that the sonic 1 remake requires you to get fifty rings to get the emeralds unlike the original where you could find them in the stage and its a nightmare because getting hit once makes you lose them all

e: oh god they put marble zone in and i died instantly because I brushed against one of those moving pillars

Stairmaster fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 6, 2023

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Finishing up exploring with Amy, is there any point to Card Spin Boost? It's a very cool animation, but it has a lot of startup time, and I don't see it hitting the top speeds or staying at top speeds as long as the Spin Dash does. I understood Sonic's Spin Dash vs Boosting and they both had their own uses, but for Amy it just feels like I should use Spin dash most of the time in traversal.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Filthy Haiku posted:

I'm surprised Cybershell managed to not vanish and finish the video after they paid him :v:

He knows that you can't run away from Sonic (Unless you're Dr. Eggman)

Keith Stack
Nov 5, 2008

Looper posted:

fan game reviews

This was a fun read! Really sold me on checking out those SMS remakes.

Is there a decent list out there of every fan game and rom hack that’s worth playing?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So I'm listening to the Kellin Quinn version of I'm Here and I thought "man, it'd be sick if Crush 40 did this." And a thought occurred to me. Which would you rather have?

1) Kellin Quinn version of any pre-Frontiers song and which?
2) Crush 40 version of any Frontiers song and which?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

crush 40 version of break through it all.

I'm Here revisited is badass though

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

MJeff posted:

So I'm listening to the Kellin Quinn version of I'm Here and I thought "man, it'd be sick if Crush 40 did this." And a thought occurred to me. Which would you rather have?

I’d take option 1, purely because I get sad every time I see Jun senoue’s grey hair. We all love Crush 40 but I want to give those guys a break eventually.

For option 1, I am all of me. For option 2, Break through it all.

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011
SRB2 Kart is also tons of fun with friends and there are lots of character packs and map packs available, many of which are even good. It's a very good game but probably only worth playing multiplayer - I can't imagine racing against bots being much fun.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MJeff posted:

Not that familiar with Kellin Quinn but as for the second one, definitely Break Through It All and/or I’m Here

Speaking of, I’m glad they put the redone version in a place where you actually have time to hear it (the Supreme fight is over way too quickly if you know what you’re doing)

I will give the Titan Trial credit for one thing at least, it taught me that the stomp attack is a major boss killer

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Larryb posted:

Not that familiar with Kellin Quinn but as for the second one, definitely Break Through It All and/or I’m Here

Speaking of, I’m glad they put the redone version in a place where you actually have time to hear it (the Supreme fight is over way too quickly if you know what you’re doing)

I will give the Titan Trial credit for one thing at least, it taught me that the stomp attack is a major boss killer

Kellin Quinn sings the first 3 titan songs as well as I'm Here in the Final Horizon.

acetcx posted:

SRB2 Kart is also tons of fun with friends and there are lots of character packs and map packs available, many of which are even good. It's a very good game but probably only worth playing multiplayer - I can't imagine racing against bots being much fun.

Time trial mode is sick in SRB2 Kart

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Filthy Haiku posted:

Right? At this point he's got little to gain and everything to lose from people realizing they forgot to unsub from his Patreon.

Shine on you crazy diamond. See you when Superstars comes out and then a couple months before the next game.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 6, 2023

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I do appreciate him going "Here's my pitch for subscribing to my patreon - DON'T." when he came back.

Cause like, you kinda know when you're getting at that point.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Evil Eagle posted:

Kellin Quinn sings the first 3 titan songs as well as I'm Here in the Final Horizon.

Time trial mode is sick in SRB2 Kart

Oh yeah, What I'm Made Of then (for all the faults of 3D Sonic they never skimp on the music at least)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 6, 2023

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Keith Stack posted:

This was a fun read! Really sold me on checking out those SMS remakes.

Is there a decent list out there of every fan game and rom hack that’s worth playing?

thanks! if there is I'm not aware of it, i just scrolled through sfghq and downloaded everything that sounded interesting and wasn't a demo (though i got bamboozled a few times)

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

We got four cybershell videos this year, which frankly is more than we deserve :colbert:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

and like 10 podcasts. and many streams. he's provided more than enough

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jec8zlfG3KI

Cybershell getting the big marketing bux from Sega.

This reminded me of how in the old Fang Cybershell video he mentioned how there was a very brief window of time where Fang was arguably the 4th or 5th most prominent recurring character, which is wild to think about.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

He's wrong, that was Johnny Lightfoot. If you're not including main characters, Cap'n Plunder.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I wondered why Cybershell never mentioned the Nack name until I realized it was SEGA sponsored so he probably couldn’t mention it.

Corporate-mandated Nack-erasure…

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
https://twitter.com/_motobug/status/1617289192731541504

shadow the hedgehog's culinary travails seem to be a whole subgenre

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Must be a drat good recipe if he still gave it five stars

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
After beating the DLC and the titan trial and all of that, I am completely checkmated by island challenge M-119. :lol:

It's one of the ones where you knock a ball through a bunch of rings. Except this one is on uneven ground so it's impossible to get it to go straight.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

A ball pushing challenge? And you're saying it's no use...

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I can't go anywhere else. It has me locked in its grasp and it's emotionally throwing me around. 😞

(I beat it eventually. Full map uncovered, whoo. On to Cyberspace levels.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Honestly, the reveal in an optional Sage dialogue that "No, Big wasn't real, and it's weird that you thought he was" genuinely got me.