Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

:discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

quote:

It's not surprising that Putin, who repeatedly claims he is waging war on Ukraine in order to "de-Nazify" it, would seize on the scandal, but his remarks were prompted by a question from a Canadian, Radhika Desai, who is a professor in the department of political studies at the University of Manitoba.

huh, i didn't know she'd get be right up there asking questions to the big man himself.

i'm assuming she's the same Radhika that does a podcast/show with Michael Hudson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJSzHN71Qj8

corgiwizard
Oct 27, 2020

if you clap for a nazi in parliament it’s okay as long as you’re not in the liberal party

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

quote:

The five largest grocery chains have delivered plans to stabilize food prices to the federal government, Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne said Thursday.

Champagne met with the heads of Loblaw, Sobeys, Metro, Costco and Walmart in Ottawa last month. The minister told them the government wanted to see their plans to stabilize prices by Thanksgiving.

The grocery chains are promising more discounts, price freezes and price-matching campaigns, Champagne said Thursday.

The Competition Bureau reported in June that Canada's grocery sector lacks competition and is dominated by three domestic giants: Loblaw, Sobeys and Metro. It called on the government to encourage new market entrants to bring down prices.

Champagne was pushed by reporters to explain how he can be sure government pressure resulted in the actions grocers are now promising.

Metro told CBC News last year that annual price freeze campaigns between November and February are "industry practice."

In response, Champagne claimed the September meeting was the first time all five grocery CEOs had been brought together by the federal government in the same room.

"I think we've been a catalyst to bring [these actions] to the forefront," he said. "This is day one of a process … What we have achieved would be a catalyst for more measures, faster measures and long lasting measures.

lol that the finger-wagging minister literally named Champagne was asked to explain how he expected his plan of "lower prices please" to work and his answer was well I asked them all at once instead of separately.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

satire accounts looking increasingly nervous at their list of absurd article ideas

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

the liberal plan to *weaponize the grocery cartel

(*to get a Walmart "price rollback" campaign lmao)

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

three grocery chains

three telecoms

three national parties*

(*offer void in Quebec)

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

eXXon posted:

lol that the finger-wagging minister literally named Champagne was asked to explain how he expected his plan of "lower prices please" to work and his answer was well I asked them all at once instead of separately.

Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne lmfao

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
this isnt going to be fixed by pleading

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

RealityWarCriminal posted:

I mean, pleading guilty maybe

corgiwizard
Oct 27, 2020

Isizzlehorn posted:

satire accounts looking increasingly nervous at their list of absurd article ideas

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

eXXon posted:

Isizzlehorn posted:

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

RealityWarCriminal posted:

will it be fixed by wagging fingers and labyrinthine inefficient incentive schemes?

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Manitoba has a First Nations premier.

On the other hand we still publicly revere Nazis.

:canada: A land of contrasts

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Clearly that just means the First Nations people can get plenty of practice trolling Nazis like the greatest soldier in North American history, nay, possibly the world.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Randalor posted:

Clearly that just means the First Nations people can get plenty of practice trolling Nazis like the greatest soldier in North American history, nay, possibly the world.

quote:

In August 1950 Prince returned to the Canadian Army to fight with the United Nations troops in the Korean War. "I owed something to my friends who died" in WWII, he stated.

Dude needs to listen to Blowback season 3

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

This country fails everyone :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RrtGg3KnR4

corgiwizard
Oct 27, 2020

PhilippAchtel posted:

Manitoba has a First Nations premier.

On the other hand we still publicly revere Nazis.

:canada: A land of contrasts

is #notallnazis a thing yet?

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Bit of fun Toronto news for my local chums:

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/al...29f673f46e.html

quote:

“My nervousness is the Line 2 trains and the signal system that’s getting very, very frail,” TTC chief executive Rick Leary said at a board meeting last month. “We’re starting to take a real hard look at that.”

He said “having to shut things down because of the lack of funding — those are possibilities in the future.”

quote:

As of June, the TTC estimated it needed about $2.5 billion to buy 80 new trains — 55 to replace Line 2’s aging fleet and 25 to allow for growth on Line 1. The city pledged to cover a third of the cost, but the provincial and federal governments did not step up.

A spokesperson for the provincial minister of transportation said the city did not engage with the province prior to issuing the request for proposals to buy new Line 2 trains.

quote:

The TTC is short more than $10 billion over the next 15 years to maintain a state of good repair, according to a June 2023 report by the agency’s CEO. More than $25 billion of its 15-year, $38-billion capital investment plan — which includes state of good repair, as well as things like fleet replacement and maintenance — is unfunded.

Unfortunately the federal government needs that money to fund parades for Ukrainian nazis so you're just going to have to buy a car and drive on the 401 forever sorry I don't make the rules

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

lol everything i read about the toronto transit system make it sound like absolute dogshit

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

ColdBlooded posted:

Tuesday's result was a good one ultimately - but even though the Manitoba Cons ran a bafflingly terrible campaign, they still got 42% of the popular vote which is only a 5% decrease from 2019. I fear that they could've ran the exact same campaign and won had they had a more charismatic leader.

the pcs are still down 11% from 2016 where they had 53%. if the ndp can follow through on hiring healthcare staff, reopening ERs as the two big ones that should keep going down by 2028

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

drat horror queefs posted:

Bit of fun Toronto news for my local chums:

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/al...29f673f46e.html

Unfortunately the federal government needs that money to fund parades for Ukrainian nazis so you're just going to have to buy a car and drive on the 401 forever sorry I don't make the rules

unmanaged decline lol

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

lol everything i read about the toronto transit system make it sound like absolute dogshit

they cut a bunch of service a while ago and haven’t really brought it back

also they’re short on drivers for some reason

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Line 2 moves more than half a million people ever day, losing it would gridlock the whole city lmao

garbage city/province/country

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Honestly it really shows how loving stupid they are. Literally now Putin has undoctored of the Canadian government saluting a Nazi. Putin can even just say "see, they are so ignorant of their own history how can they be so sure about the history going on here?". Watch Canada and its small fish in a big pond energy be the reason why Ukraine loses the PR war and with that support.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Houle posted:

Honestly it really shows how loving stupid they are. Literally now Putin has undoctored of the Canadian government saluting a Nazi. Putin can even just say "see, they are so ignorant of their own history how can they be so sure about the history going on here?". Watch Canada and its small fish in a big pond energy be the reason why Ukraine loses the PR war and with that support.

we're talking about trains

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the ttc is simultaneously "not good" and "the best transit system in canada"

make of that what you will

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

drat horror queefs posted:

Don't forget about the parades for the police dogs likely shot by the cops. (Said dogs might also be Ukrainian Nazis. You never know.)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

infernal machines posted:

just like toronto in general

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
i wish winnipeg would have built the planned monorail back in the 60s

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

CLAM DOWN posted:

And yet Ottawa's is somehow worse

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

i love reading what new problem has been discovered with that stupid train this week

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

bunnyofdoom posted:

ottawas sucks poo poo the train goes from nowhere to nowhere (at least was the case before I left over a decade ago) and the bus system takes at least 3x as long to get anywhere, especially cursed if you live outside of the city proper

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

OldAlias posted:

ottawas sucks poo poo the train goes from nowhere to nowhere (at least was the case before I left over a decade ago) and the bus system takes at least 3x as long to get anywhere, especially cursed if you live outside of the city proper

No we now have a second train running from Blair to tunneys that cost several billions and only works about 30% of the time now. And has made international headlines..... it literally doesn't work in wet weather

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

infernal machines posted:

isn’t Montreal’s better, like didn’t they have a real pass system way before ours

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

That would have been sweet, though I do worry about how well it would have run in the wintertime.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

No we now have a second train running from Blair to tunneys that cost several billions and only works about 30% of the time now. And has made international headlines..... it literally doesn't work in wet weather

aren't the wheels literally cracked lol

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Is the Skytrain a monorail

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

no the skytrain isn’t a monorail tho there were plans for a monorail in the 50s that got scrapped iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

By gum, it'd put that place on the map