Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

One of my great regrets is passing over one of those for like $8 at a Book-Off on my first trip to Japan in 2010. They’ve become so much more expensive since then. Nope, wasn’t on the junk pile either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

otter posted:

I've always wanted one of those. I have a different stick for the DC which is fine and all, but the buttons are slightly mushy and I could probably disassemble and sand everything to a nicer glide but instead I started building my own DC stick. I should take some pictures and maybe even finish it. I really just need to break out my router and do some finish work and it will be complete-ish.

It's a real shame how many of these sticks were absolutely mutilated by hobbyists who wanted to use them as fight sticks for other consoles.

If anyone is interested in upgrading their Agetec stick buttons/lever the process is basically:

1) Use a rounded file to make the holes on the metal top panel a 30mm width.

2) Use a dremel to remove the four mounting posts and a notch on each side of the lever mounting slot

3) Center the lever and mark/drill the four screw points (I just re-used the screws that held the original lever in place because they bite into the plastic and hold it well enough. some people opt for replacement hardware that has a corresponding nut to hold it snug but I don't think it's necessary unless you make the holes gigantic on accident).

4) Here's the wiring match-up for the stock lever harness vs. the Sanwa JLF harness:

code:
Agetec           Sanwa
YELLOW	>	YELLOW
RED	>	GREEN
ORANGE	>	RED
BROWN	>	ORANGE
BLACK	>	BLACK
5) And here's the wiring for the buttons:

code:
BUTTONS:
A = BLUE
B = GREEN
C = YELLOW
X = BROWN
Z = ORANGE
Y = RED
Edit: for the lever replacement I used a JLF TP-8YT and the buttons are OBSF-30's.

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 16, 2022

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

otter posted:

I really kind of want to get a Mega Drive and a model II Genesis to complete the set.

edit: I just impulse purchased a Mega Jet.
in my defense it was only $207 shipped confirmed working.

My Mega Jet story:
SO back whenever this was, I purchased a mega jet off ebay from Japan. It never showed up and I got a refund since the tracking number was stuck at 'dispatch from outbound post".
So Saturday afternoon, there's a knock at the door and my wife answers it. it's the postal worker requiring a signature. She makes a smart-rear end comment about "Oh he probably ordered used panties from China" (and then realizing afterwards A) that trope is Japan, where this package was from and B) confusing Japan and China is racist AF) anyway. I was installing shelves in my office at the time and went into the kitchen later and there is this wide envelope from Japan with the international shipping label on it. I open the thing up and it's from the seller, it's the same tracking number he provided me months ago... but it's a single pokemon card inside the envelope.
piece. of. poo poo. Thankfully I got MOST of my money back but I'm still pissed.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

If I wanted to get X-Men: Children of the Atom for Sega Saturn, I see that the NTSC-J version is a lot cheaper and more available than the US version (at least on ebay). Am I okay buying the Japanese version or will it not work in my Saturn, and if it will work, what are the chances of the game being entirely in Japanese?

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

If you have a psudo saturn cartridge or another cart / mod which allows you to play imports it will work.
Otherwise it will tell you it is out of region. Not sure about language options in the Japanese version. My Saturn is still in storage for a couple more weeks otherwise I would bust it out and check.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

If it's like other Capcom fighting games, I imagine menus will be fine but don't expect to understand any of the post-fight banter at all.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shadow Hog posted:

If it's like other Capcom fighting games, I imagine menus will be fine but don't expect to understand any of the post-fight banter at all.

Not like I do in English either

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Yeah, either a pseudosaturn or disc swap (don't do this) will let you play it on a US Saturn

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I have assembled enough sega hardware that I may now play Doom Co-op using the Zero Tolerance link cable and two everdrives loaded with Doom Resurrection on two 32x systems. Yay for me.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I'm glad one of us dares to dream... :patriot:

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
https://twitter.com/yuzokoshiro/status/1669730869781856256

Yuzo Koshiro's making a new Mega Drive game. It's a shmup promising an "unmatched level of coolness"

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Looks pretty dope.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!
So, I'm playing the genesis stuff on Switch right now, and I gotta say, The Crusader of Centy and Beyond Oasis are loving outstanding games that I never knew existed.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

They are. Not Genesis but if you want more Zelda-likes after those, I recommend Neutopia 1 and 2 on PCE/TG16.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

You should also check out King Colossus, which isn't on the Switch, but it has an incredibly rad soundtrack. Behold:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le2eAcetdKg

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SeANMcBAY posted:

They are. Not Genesis but if you want more Zelda-likes after those, I recommend Neutopia 1 and 2 on PCE/TG16.

Also Golvellius and Golden Axe Warrior on Master System

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

armpit_enjoyer posted:

https://twitter.com/yuzokoshiro/status/1669730869781856256

Yuzo Koshiro's making a new Mega Drive game. It's a shmup promising an "unmatched level of coolness"

If it was anyone other than Koshiro saying "unmatched level of coolness" in reference to a MD/Gen game, I'd laugh them out of the room. But since it is Koshiro, I take him at his word. Dude knows how to do that on the MD.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

Him and the guy who made Alien Soldier (FOR MEGADRIVERS CUSTOM). They need to team up already.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

armpit_enjoyer posted:

You should also check out King Colossus, which isn't on the Switch, but it has an incredibly rad soundtrack. Behold:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le2eAcetdKg

Holy poo poo that soundtrack is good.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
I just got one of those Dreamcast live modems. I’ll probably hook it up this weekend. I’m so excited to get that thing online again

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Be warned that you basically have to schedule games against other people. There's a couple good discords for it (DreamcastLive has one).

I want to get an X-band Saturn modem since apparently there's a modern solution for that now.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Would really like to get my Dreamcast online just to play Phantasy Star Online and see what I'm missing out on with the online missions. I've got a single player character going on my Gamecube and am on the final difficulty level.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

katkillad2 posted:

Would really like to get my Dreamcast online just to play Phantasy Star Online and see what I'm missing out on with the online missions. I've got a single player character going on my Gamecube and am on the final difficulty level.

In the mean time there is Phantasy Star Online blue burst. https://www.phantasystaronline.net/

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

You can also emulate the Dreamcast and get the online working that way. No matter what fan server you're connecting too though, there will be community made missions amongst the official ones, so keep that in mind if it's the type of thing that would bother you.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

You can get the GameCube version online as well but I’m sure the active player base is lower than Dreamcast and definitely much lower than Blue Burst.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The blue burst server gets like 10 people. I think pretty much everyone moved over to PSO2, not sure how popular that game is nowadays. I was super addicted to PSO2 up until New Genesis came out.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I wish Sega would rerelease classic PSO on modern systems but I guess it wouldn’t make sense if they’re making good money on 2/NG.

The game felt like magic back on Dreamcast. I’m upset I never got to move to ver. 2 then since it had a subscription fee and my mom wasn’t comfortable using her cards on the internet quite yet.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 27, 2023

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

So, I'm playing the genesis stuff on Switch right now, and I gotta say, The Crusader of Centy and Beyond Oasis are loving outstanding games that I never knew existed.

I'm still waiting for Buck Rogers to go on the streaming platform.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I wish Sega would rerelease classic PSO on modern systems but I guess it wouldn’t make sense if they’re making good money on 2/NG.

The game felt like magic back on Dreamcast. I’m upset I never got to move to ver. 2 then since it had a subscription fee and my mom wasn’t comfortable using her cards on the internet quite yet.

Get the GC version and play split screen with friends!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I have the GameCube version. Maybe I’ll set it up to play on a server if enough goons would be interested.

ControlV
Mar 8, 2019
I splurged on some Dreamcast arcade sticks, but God DAMMIT my MvC2 save with everyone unlocked is gone.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ControlV posted:

I splurged on some Dreamcast arcade sticks, but God DAMMIT my MvC2 save with everyone unlocked is gone.

One time one of our MvC2 friend group friends accidentally deleted our save with everything unlocked and he felt so bad about it that he spent the entire night unlocking everything again.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ControlV posted:

I regret not buying one on my first trip to Tokyo in 2010, saw one in box at a Book Off for $8 😭

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

ControlV posted:

Cheers to the well worth it splurge. Jeers to the vanishing act of the game save.
I really need to finish my Dreamcast stick. I got a cheaper one but I have a controller I pad hacked and built a stick around. I still want the real sega one though.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

After I replaced the guts in my Agetec sticks they became the perfect controllers for every fighting game and shmup on the Dreamcast.

I put a JLF with a heavy spring in it and used Sanwa buttons. They look stock but play way better now.

ControlV
Mar 8, 2019
Wait, I still have my GameShark. Oh, thank christ.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Anyone else back the fancypants recharchable SD-card usable VMU? https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/vm2-the-next-gen-vmu-for-the-dreamcast/x/22368579#/

I got mine yesterday and it's as wonderful as I was hoping it would be--more or less infinite storage, save dumping is wildly easy through just USB-C to the computer. It's a godsend! If they do another round I cannot recommend one enough to anyone else who uses their DC regularly still

browsers castle
Dec 27, 2011
Yep think I need one of those VMUs. What is the recommended wireless dreamcast controller? Is there a dongle with bluetooth that will connect modern controllers?

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
I’ve used these things for a few years now, they work great with Bluetooth or usb. They have a built in memory card also. You can update the firmware to use ps5 controllers. I use a hori octa controller with it, it works REALLY well for dc games. If you plug it up to pc you can make the extra face buttons map to the triggers for the capcom fighting games.

Mcbazel Brook Wingman SD Converter for Xbox 360/Xbox One/Xbox Elite 1&2/Xbox Series X&S/PS3/PS4/PS5/Switch Pro Controller to Sega Dreamcast & Saturn Console https://a.co/d/7WwFcVl

HORI Fighting Commander Octa Designed for Xbox Series X|S By - Officially Licensed by Microsoft - Xbox Series X https://a.co/d/407HAyE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Are there good new DC controllers with vmu support? I don’t think I could play it without seeing that little VMU screen on my pad.