Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Torquemada posted:

That's Rogue One and Andor.

There is, in fact, lightsaber in Rogue One. And it owns incredibly hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

800peepee51doodoo posted:

There is, in fact, lightsaber in Rogue One. And it owns incredibly hard.

Easily the best scene in the movie.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Torquemada posted:

That's Rogue One and Andor.

Oh, right, forgot about Andor.

But as mentioned, Rogue One has a lightsaber, and both that scene and that movie own. Not a perfect movie, but IMO the fourth best Star Wars movie after the OT.

And it looks like there is also a lightsaber in Solo, so...uhh...Bad Batch and Andor are the only two with absolutely, 100% no lightsabers?

Fake edit: Oh wait, the opening scene of Bad Batch is Order 66 and at least one Jedi dies and a padawan escapes, so, yeah, there's lightsabers. Just Andor.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A guy in Andor has a lightsaber ship!

DrBouvenstein posted:

The Bad Batch
and...uhhh...Mandolorian Season 1 if we don't count the brief appearance of the Dark Saber?

I haven't seen Solo, but I know Darth Maul is in it, so I don't know if he has/uses a lightsaber or not.
But no one in their right mind would call Solo one of the best two.

He ignites his saber for no reason at all during a Facetime call.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Grendels Dad posted:

The most charitable explanation I can think of is that DeHaan and Delevingne are kinda close in age and casting anyone older and more built than DeHaan is gonna look kinda creepy for how small and young Delevingne would look next to them.

But then again the movie is by noted unapologetic sex creep Luc Besson, whose best movie would have featured a suave assassin and a little girl falling in love as a cool and good if not for the intervention of his cast and their parents.

Now imagining Jean Reno's parents showing up on set and questioning him very sharply about the film's plot.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

DrBouvenstein posted:

But as mentioned, Rogue One has a lightsaber, and both that scene and that movie own. Not a perfect movie, but IMO the fourth best Star Wars movie after the OT.

:hmmyes:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Torquemada posted:

The problem is absolutely lightsabers. There's only two properties in the whole canon with no lightsabers, and they're the best two.

I'm confused, Freemaker Adventures was literally all about lightsabers. And lightsaber ships. And Droid Tales definitely had lightsabers.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

The two ewok movies contain no lightsaber but do have a witch with a ring that can turn her into a crow.

Also why should the Empire bother making good stormtrooper armor. It's already dehumanizing and oppressive and that's the point of it. Beskar is expensive and replaceable grunt troopers are essentially free.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Torquemada posted:

The problem is absolutely lightsabers. There's only two properties in the whole canon with no lightsabers, and they're the best two.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cowslips Warren posted:

I always wanted more General Grevious poo poo, like pre cyborg poo poo. He's supposed to be loving terrifying and slaughtering Jedi.

Clone Wars 2003 owned

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

Improbable Lobster posted:

Clone Wars 2003 owned

It made up for any problems I had with any of the prequels, they could've just had Tartakovsky do everything else since then and the franchise would be better off for it.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Ok, I'm going to count Rogue One as a win because it's so good it made me forget there was a lightsaber scene in it, even though it's arguably the best scene in the movie.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Police uniforms also aren't bulletproof but they still wear them. At least stormtrooper armor would offer some protection against the elements and impacts. Almost everyone we see in the movies is using a blaster or lightsaber but I'd imagine most of the oppression is against unarmed folks and rigid plastic sheets would do a fair amount against the rabble.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
American cops are almost always wearing body armor to the point it always catches me off guard to see cops not wearing a vest.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

yeah lol that was a weird post to see all the way from like 1994

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Cops are the biggest cowards, they'll wear full vests and armament to get loving parking passes.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Oh hey, my favorite Star Wars trash!

My garage right now (they're originals from the theatrical runs, which is why the name of one is weird):

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Baron von Eevl posted:

At least stormtrooper armor would offer some protection against the elements and impacts. Almost everyone we see in the movies is using a blaster or lightsaber but I'd imagine most of the oppression is against unarmed folks and rigid plastic sheets would do a fair amount against the rabble.
Ewoks owning stormtroopers with arrows and heavy rocks notwithstanding.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah well there were a lot of them!

I liked that George tried really hard to make the Ewoks look intense and no matter how hard they pushed it they still looked like teddy bears (maybe teddy bears with huge fangs dripping with blood) so they said gently caress it, they're cute teddy bears now.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Reptile:

Character pulls out his pistol and thumbs off the safety. The subtitles even say "Clicks off safety," he puts his thumb on the side of the pistol and there's a switch-clicking sound.

Pistol is a Glock. It has no external safety. Where he puts his thumb is the slide release. If you want to film a scene where you show the character disengaging the safety on his pistol to get ready to shoot someone, maybe just don't have him use a Glock? Berettas are popular.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

PISTOL is a GLOCK with a SLIDE

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
The more dramatic the loading the more serious they are. So obviously hey should of used a muzzle loaded canon, so they could of spent three minutes sponging the barrel, priming it, loading and dampening the powder and loading canon ball, to you know show how super serious they are.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Clone Wars 2003 owned

The worst of them all.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

*slowly cocks flintlock with malicious intent*

I'm pretty sure Black Sails did this a huge number of times across its run

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

dr_rat posted:

The more dramatic the loading the more serious they are. So obviously hey should of used a muzzle loaded canon, so they could of spent three minutes sponging the barrel, priming it, loading and dampening the powder and loading canon ball, to you know show how super serious they are.

This feels like it should have been a Naked Gun gag.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

the holy poopacy posted:

This feels like it should have been a Naked Gun gag.

They did this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSG_23DTvKs

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

credburn posted:

The worst of them all.

I'm so sorry for whatever's wrong with you.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Clone Wars 2003 owned

It's pretty cool but it's just a series of stylish action scenes. If that's all you want, great. But it ultimately left me cold.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

I watched this entire movie and I cannot remember one single thing about it. I have a vague memory of it feeling like Sky Captain with a bigger budget. I don’t know how you can take that premise and that design and create something so totally unforgettable. I’ve never been a Besson guy — only ever liked Leon and (to a much lesser extent) Lucy. But this was just a dogshit movie created by a terrible person.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

credburn posted:

The worst of them all.

Depends on if you think that Clone Wars describes that awful movie with a Truman Capote Hutt in it, which is absolute dogshit, or the Samurai Jack looking micro cartoon series directed by Genndy Tartakovsky, which rules.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

MokBa posted:

I watched this entire movie and I cannot remember one single thing about it. I have a vague memory of it feeling like Sky Captain with a bigger budget. I don’t know how you can take that premise and that design and create something so totally unforgettable. I’ve never been a Besson guy — only ever liked Leon and (to a much lesser extent) Lucy. But this was just a dogshit movie created by a terrible person.

The only thing I can remember about Sky Captain is that it was touted as the first movie to have totally CGI sets. Nothing was real.

The whole thing had this surreal feel about it and if the movie itself hadn't been utter trash, could have been a really interesting effect.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Sky Captain & The World of Tomorrow was truly ahead of its time. It crawled so that The Mandalorian could run.

(I liked Sky Captain & The World of Tomorrow despite its flaws).

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

theironjef posted:

Depends on if you think that Clone Wars describes that awful movie with a Truman Capote Hutt in it, which is absolute dogshit, or the Samurai Jack looking micro cartoon series directed by Genndy Tartakovsky, which rules.

Whichever one had the awful art direction.

Wait, maybe I'm thinking of Rebels?

Whichever one made everyone look like a rejected TMNT toy.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Stargate has so many gun cocking noises for some reason, enough to irritate. If you liked it as a kid, don't look back

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Android Apocalypse posted:

Sky Captain & The World of Tomorrow was truly ahead of its time. It crawled so that The Mandalorian could run.

(I liked Sky Captain & The World of Tomorrow despite its flaws).

Sky Captain & The World of Tomorrow got shot in the kneecaps by Sin City and then left to die in a back alley.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Stargate has so many gun cocking noises for some reason, enough to irritate. If you liked it as a kid, don't look back

what if I like gun noises

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I appreciate Sky Captain a lot more after having seen a few episodes from the Fleischer Superman cartoon. I'm sure if I get around to re-watching some of that old b/w Flash Gordon show, I'd love appreciate Sky Captain even more.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Sky Captain had some breathtaking moments, especially if you are a cinema nerd, and is worth the time, but doesn’t hang together. IMO it has 2 major problems:
Casting: I’m sure Jude and Gweneth were the best affordable names, but they never played the era right. My ideal would have been Jennifer Jason Lee and Bruce Campbell flown directly from the set of the Hudsucker Proxy, same delivery.
Discipline: they could have done more interesting stuff like the story/zeppelin montage in the beginning instead of the miniature animals thing that did nothing but stop the movie cold. Go with the Dreamtime cinema aspect, don’t just throw in poo poo because you can.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

oldpainless posted:

PISTOL is a GLOCK with a SLIDE

More like old gumwaaless!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
However I felt about Sky Captain (I thought it was meh), I need to give it credit for having my favorite poster I ever got from Comiccon. Kerry Conran, the director signed it for me.

https://movieposters.ha.com/itm/mov.../161336-53396.s

Just gorgeous art deco stuff, I saw the movie with my pops because he LOVED all the old poo poo like The Phantom, The Shadow and whatnot. The movie sure as hell didn't live up to that poster but it's still worth a check just for how good it looks every now and then.

Thinking about it, I also have the poster from Cowboys Vs Aliens which is NOT worth watching but I did get Daniel Craig, Jon Favreau and Paul Dano's autograph on that one so it might be a little more impressive. Favreau was likely one of the nicest celebrities I've ever met, along with Violent J from the Insane Clown Posse.

TGG has a new favorite as of 23:17 on Oct 7, 2023