Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

You guys are doing a kickass job!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

That really puts into perspective how incredible this effort has been. You guys are really the best. I vote for you to all stay on the board.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

aw frig aw dang it posted:

You guys are doing a kickass job!

I read that as dickass and I approve of that as a new complimentary idiom

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

Grats on the 501c3 thing, yay!

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Congratulations to all the six figgie goons who will be donating their tax breaks directly to me

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Our financial position is not the greatest right now, and we need at least $1,000 just to fulfill all outstanding requests right now (and even then, that's with the $125 limit). If anyone would like to help it'd be super appreciated! And it's tax deductible!!

Our stripe revenue this week is only expected to be $200, so it's not enough to not have to tell people to wait.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

really queer Christmas posted:

Our financial position is not the greatest right now, and we need at least $1,000 just to fulfill all outstanding requests right now (and even then, that's with the $125 limit). If anyone would like to help it'd be super appreciated! And it's tax deductible!!

Our stripe revenue this week is only expected to be $200, so it's not enough to not have to tell people to wait.

I sent over a little more now if just 49 others can do the same

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
I can't afford the gas to go to job interviews and I sure as gently caress can't afford to move to a place that charges me rent, twenty bux or so would help. Probably not as urgently-needed as most in here. If you want some random funny poo poo in return like me singing Time for Guillotines in a thick hick accent or something I can do that.

I'm glad the obvious non-profit charity got non-profit charity status too of course.

Edit: I have a family member or two who's a lot more willing to donate to tax-deductible things, should get them on the horn

The Islamic Shock has issued a correction as of 02:03 on Sep 24, 2023

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

sent what i could. normally don't share info like that but hopefully we can get a donation chain going.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

I'm still making poo poo money, but I am scraping by, which I understand puts me in a better position than many of my fellow goons, so I made another modest donation. Hope it encourages others to do the same.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Too Many Birds posted:

sent what i could. normally don't share info like that but hopefully we can get a donation chain going.

Hey it worked and I sent money and someone else should too.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

kingcobweb posted:

My opponent, the so-called "really" queer christmas, has NO evidence of how queer christmas is.

genuine lmao

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I have an ongoing Stripe payment but I will setup a Venmo account this evening and donate.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Ok, so we are at a point of things being kinda dire with a lot of requests not only pending, but still coming in (We had three today alone, and 11 since I put out a call saying we couldn't afford the requests we had). We do appreciate the people that have helped but we do have to drop the scale of the fund back significantly until we have... well funds. As I speak, we have $49.34 in the bank account, $135.52 in the venmo account, and about $25 in cashapp. We do have some funds coming in through stripe this week, but no where near enough to continue as we have been. As such, we are instituting an emergency limit of $50 per request and handling requests in the following order:
  • Requestors who are new
  • Previous requestors who have not received funds this month
  • Recency of request (First come-first serve)
Why the panic? Well again, no cash. But also, we currently have 12 requests that haven't even been touched yet, all due by the first. The grand total of this request amount is $2,433.00 which, lol we have no chance of coming close to fulfilling. But even limiting to $50 a request, this still only gets us to $530 in fulfillment. Which... is somewhat doable if we wait a day for some more funds. However, we are averaging about 2.5 requests a day or $300 a day in requests for the month of September. We still have 3 days left, and then the start of the month which is our heaviest time. Our biggest haul from donations is between the 5th and 15th, so we are looking at needing to get through about 30 requests (including the currently active ones) over the next 10 days before we maybe get some relief. We can either start outright declining people or reduce the amount people get. I don't see anyway around that, and I figured donors would prefer more people getting less than the opposite. Please let me know if that assumption is incorrect.

edit: Or we have some awesome donors who give us enough that this policy doesn't even last a day! Ignore all of that!

And so people are aware, of the 69 requests made in September so far (worth a total of $10,230.00) 60 of the requests were unique. IE, it was 60 different people making requests. I'd need to do more research on how many are first timers, but I'd say about 15-20. We also have fulfilled $5,677.00 of the amount requested, but we've done so with only about $2,800 coming from stripe and about $820 through Venmo. This was going to catch up with us eventually - we just don't have enough donors.

I also went through and broke down the 69 requests so far so people know where people are requesting the funds to go to. Stability just means it was requested for multiple categories or was for the various homeless who were/are requesting funds to help deal that. About half of the food requests were also for gas

really queer Christmas has issued a correction as of 23:17 on Sep 27, 2023

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
gently caress joe biden making everything expensive, I'm gonna send some venmo bucks

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Thank you to 2hmm and a guardian angel who have just literally doubled our September earnings to date!!!!!!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Got over my fear of self-doxxing and threw some $$$ in

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Vox Nihili posted:

Got over my fear of self-doxxing and threw some $$$ in

the reason I like venmo is I don't have to use my real name lol

then I just don't talk about the stripe bucks I donate so it can't be linked to me

Fawkes
Apr 6, 2004

Best thread on the forums. Thank you all for the emergency help.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
Thank you all so much for the assist, emergency costs always happen at the worst possible time.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
With the shiny new 501c3 badge can you get better rates on payment processing from Stripe etc? If so, what about a rebate / credit for the higher rates since March? Like $X in free processing to make up the difference. I am not familiar with the rules for non-profits.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

vortmax posted:

With the shiny new 501c3 badge can you get better rates on payment processing from Stripe etc?

Nope the rates that stripe charges are the same regardless of business type. It is pretty much the standard fee for any credit card processor that handles recurring online charges.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

vortmax posted:

With the shiny new 501c3 badge can you get better rates on payment processing from Stripe etc? If so, what about a rebate / credit for the higher rates since March? Like $X in free processing to make up the difference. I am not familiar with the rules for non-profits.

yeah speng31b is right, Stripe only cares about volume, so goon fund would have to be doing like $100K a month in transactions to get better CC fees

using bank transfers (ACH) instead of credit cards is much better though, like 0.8% capped to $5, instead of 2.9% + $0.30 with no cap, so ideally people donate using that instead of a credit card, especially for large amounts

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

corona familiar posted:

yeah speng31b is right, Stripe only cares about volume, so goon fund would have to be doing like $100K a month in transactions to get better CC fees

using bank transfers (ACH) instead of credit cards is much better though, like 0.8% capped to $5, instead of 2.9% + $0.30 with no cap, so ideally people donate using that instead of a credit card, especially for large amounts

...And it looks like we never turned on taking ACH via Stripe! Cool. I just did that so that's now the cheapest way to get us money. You will need to make sure you have cash in your account instead of a card though, as you open yourself up for the possibility of NSFs.

Also I do want to make sure people know - we have received a crapton of support over the past few days!! Please do not feel the need to send in more right now. We should be able to get through the next week with ease.

really queer Christmas has issued a correction as of 18:38 on Sep 30, 2023

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

...And it looks like we never turned on taking ACH via Stripe! Cool. I just did that so that's now the cheapest way to get us money.

:tipshat:

I think the OP says Venmo is still the cheapest so an update there would be great! I'll PM you about changing my recurring donation over to ACH

you might also consider switching on the Stripe billing portal, which provides a webpage where people can manage their recurring donations. might help reduce the number of support requests when that becomes an issue

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Ok, looks like people can edit their stripe information through this link. Let me know if that does not work.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

corona familiar posted:

you might also consider switching on the Stripe billing portal, which provides a webpage where people can manage their recurring donations. might help reduce the number of support requests when that becomes an issue

Dang that's awesome I was looking around in the docs but had no idea stripe offered this. We should definitely use it.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Ok, looks like people can edit their stripe information through this link. Let me know if that does not work.

yeah works for me! I can update my payment method and stuff

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

While im in the stripe settings, donors using stripe - let me know if this would be useful for you to know and I can turn it on.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

While im in the stripe settings, donors using stripe - let me know if this would be useful for you to know and I can turn it on.

I think both would be helpful. I have no intention of turning off my donations anytime soon, but when my card gets close to expiration it's helpful to know how many sites I need to update.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Thanks for the answers. I forgot we live in capitalist hellworld for a few seconds there.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Yes please, I tend to forget about updating stuff when cards expire.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
What's the financial penalty for donating to non US goons from this fund?

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

Hot dude with a cool attitude.
I would like some money to help fund sending foia requests to get cop bodycam footage. I think it's a realistic way to cause a race riot.

Edit: I am joking. I just want to hold police accountable.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

AxGrap posted:

What's the financial penalty for donating to non US goons from this fund?

Worst case is probably some funding terrorism charge under the PATRIOT Act. So really bad.

someusername
Jan 26, 2015
Hey gang, where would I go to see if someone was up for letting me buy them whatever sort of good or service on a CC and sending me money peer to peer?

I've got a card w/ 0% introductory and need some actual liquid funds, but it goes straight to 29.99 for anything it deems "cash like" , or buying prepaid cards or whatever
with it. becoming common quickly i'm told

speng31b
May 8, 2010

someusername posted:

Hey gang, where would I go to see if someone was up for letting me buy them whatever sort of good or service on a CC and sending me money peer to peer?

I've got a card w/ 0% introductory and need some actual liquid funds, but it goes straight to 29.99 for anything it deems "cash like" , or buying prepaid cards or whatever
with it. becoming common quickly i'm told

Honestly have no idea what the answer to this is, but you might try pming an sa mart mod since it sounds like you are asking for a trade of some kind as opposed to a donation

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Hey so we really need some input from people on an issue that we've always thought was going to come up sooner or later - requests from people who are lurkers and low post count people. Previously, we had someone who had never made a post before make a request. The committee debated on it and ultimately, after an alt check by a friendly admin, we decided to send funds. However, the lurker's account was more than 2 years old at the time of request. Recently, we received requests from two people - one who has made 5 posts about 4 months ago (on an account created that same day), and another account that's about a year old and has only made one post. Both are requesting more than our current request max.

As well, we recently received a request from someone who registered that day to request about $100. They had made a couple posts, but the committee voted to deny their request due to the account being a suspected alt.

Funds are not an issue at this time, thanks to the many many generous people on SA. It's more about establishing the principle of, everyone needs help - but this fund has to be geared towards just goons. And if the fund's only definition of a goon is the $10 entry fee, then nothing stops someone from registering an account and requesting $100 same day. I don't want to seem like we are straying from our principle of good faith help, but the 501c3 requirement of only giving to a certain class of people, and not everyone and anyone, is quite strict!

If people would please give some feedback for us to help make a decision on this issue as quickly as possible. We do not need to codify anything for now (we can do that next month), I just don't want to leave the requestors hanging when both are in need of help.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
My rough thoughts:
1. If your account is older than the goon fund, we don't care about post counts.
2. If it's newer then... we should care somewhat? Obviously we don't care what forum you post in or if you're a good poster or a bad poster like me, but I think given the goon fund's goals of being mutual aid for our community, I think there needs to be some line drawn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Hey so we really need some input from people on an issue that we've always thought was going to come up sooner or later - requests from people who are lurkers and low post count people. Previously, we had someone who had never made a post before make a request. The committee debated on it and ultimately, after an alt check by a friendly admin, we decided to send funds. However, the lurker's account was more than 2 years old at the time of request. Recently, we received requests from two people - one who has made 5 posts about 4 months ago (on an account created that same day), and another account that's about a year old and has only made one post. Both are requesting more than our current request max.

As well, we recently received a request from someone who registered that day to request about $100. They had made a couple posts, but the committee voted to deny their request due to the account being a suspected alt.

Funds are not an issue at this time, thanks to the many many generous people on SA. It's more about establishing the principle of, everyone needs help - but this fund has to be geared towards just goons. And if the fund's only definition of a goon is the $10 entry fee, then nothing stops someone from registering an account and requesting $100 same day. I don't want to seem like we are straying from our principle of good faith help, but the 501c3 requirement of only giving to a certain class of people, and not everyone and anyone, is quite strict!

If people would please give some feedback for us to help make a decision on this issue as quickly as possible. We do not need to codify anything for now (we can do that next month), I just don't want to leave the requestors hanging when both are in need of help.

I think a minimum account age requirement up front is reasonable. I think lurkers should be able to request from the fund, but maybe if you register an account and never post you need to be around for 6 months or a year or something.

what if there was a sliding scale for due diligence, where the user either meets an account age requirement or a posting requirement or some combination of both? say, 3 months minimum, and 3 months of additional age or 90 posts (30 posts per month) or some combination of the two

corona familiar has issued a correction as of 00:57 on Oct 7, 2023